Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
Okay, so I'm a senior history undergrad,and I'm looking at becoming an archivist.

I'm hoping that I somehow get into UNC Chapel Hill so I can go through their program and get a Concentration in Archives and Record Management. Failing that, my Plan B is to go through USC's online MLIS program.

At the same time, however, I'm really worried that the only way I'll even have a shot at getting a job as an archivist is if I do get into Chapel Hill. Is this anxiety unfounded, or am I really teetering on the line of making a terrible decision my life will not recover from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
No, but they are tied #1 in terms of ranking by US News for Archives and Preservation programs, and I have been led to believed that that kind of reputation would be helpful in getting a job. I know that even if I do get in their program, it's still gonna be a struggle to get a job, but I'm just wondering if it will actually make any kind of difference.

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
Thanks for answering my question. I'm actually relieved to hear that choice of school doesn't really matter, since then it becomes a matter of affordability. Also, thank you for all the advice on "experience > reputation." I've actually been interning at an archive this semester, and after reading this thread, I am definitely going to try and volunteer there as much as I can as next semester.

• Locked thread