Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So, I have recently decided to bite the bullet and get my MLIS. I've had a rather good run of luck so far and haven't actually needed to get the master's degree in order to be employed in libraries (I spent two years working in the Harvard archives as a Page and another four years working in Yale's archives as an assistant cataloger), but I recently had to relocate and take a few years off in order to be a Stay-at-Home Dad. Now, however, the kids are old enough that I can throw them into pre-school and get back into the work force!

That being said, in the OP it mentions that your "basic" librarian should know how to code. I guess this may be an elementary type question, but which languages do you think are the most worthwhile to learn? I'd like to take a class or two at a community college while waiting for my grad. application/working as a paraprofessional to shore up the currently non-existent coding/technical side of my resume, but I have to confess I don't know which languages would be considered to be marketable in this profession (outside of HTML). I am going to try to pivot away from academic libraries and focus on public ones, since I moved to a region of the country where there just isn't nearly as many colleges or universities as there are back east (and re-locating for a job isn't a possibility anymore since my wife is the family's chief earner) - so any technical skills that would benefit me in that market will be what I'm going to focus on moving forward.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread