Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Is anyone here an archivist? I just started a job building an archive, but I'm not an archivist, I'm a historian doing this half of my time and teaching history the other half. There are a bunch of things I need to figure out, but don't really know where to look.

Most urgently, the group sending us materials wants to put labels on the back of photographs. Is there such a thing as labels we could adhere to the backs of the photos that won't destroy the photos eventually? I recognize that in the best of all worlds we wouldn't write anything or adhere anything to the pictures, but apparently that non-negotiable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Archivist here (more like use to be an archivist though I still do archival consulting).

Don't put stickers on the photos. Thats just a bad idea. Even if they don't hurt the photos, the adhesive is just going to dry up and they will all fall off in 50 years and then what was the point. Write on the backs of the photos.

edit: Also, go find a copy of this somewhere: http://saa.archivists.org/store/photographs-archival-care-and-management/337/

Basically the issue is we're getting these from the government, and lots need stamps that show they're not classified or official-use-only before they can hand them over. So, we need permanent markings. I keep finding things on the Internet saying any ink directly on the back of the photos will seep through eventually, but does that sound like the only option? Is our best bet to just get regular stamps and use acid-free ink? Ideally we wouldn't mark on them, but that's just not possible in this situation, so we want the best possible compromise.

I will look into that book, to go alongside the big-rear end Legal Issues in Archival Management book, and Practical Archives, and a few others, so thanks for the rec. Now I just need to find time to train myself on this stuff.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

You could put them in sleeves with labels.

Doesn't work for declassification markings, unfortunately. They need to be on the document, permanently.

I'm going to recommend using a stamp with archival ink, on the back of a corner of the picture that's least harmful. Maybe not perfect, but we won't get the documents without these markings, they'll just go into an Indiana Jones-style government records vault.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Pencil, crayon. I know it isn't permanent per-se but you are right that inks are not the way to go. Archivists use pencil on pretty much anything, and if they complain it could be erased someone could also just cross off any pen markings with another pen.

That's not how the government regs work, though. They need permanent markings on the file, period. I'm being consulted, not making the actual decision.

I'm just going to pretend I was never asked and then was handed files in this condition - not an unusual situation for an archivist to get non-ideal materials, I'm guessing, and then just have to make the most of them.

Anyway, very glad to know I can potentially get answers to questions here. I've tried contracting the SAA and using twitter to reach out to people, but basically never get any response. I'm in a little over my head on this job, having zero archival training aside from having used archives in my own research.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

The SAA listserv is where you want to go for those general questions, but be careful, some of the regular posters seem to think its 4chan for archivists and make it a dark and scary place. Don't get them started on the Friday Flowers posts.

You might have better luck with the listserv for the regional archives group. (MARAC in the mid-atlantic, MAC for the midwest, etc.). Where are you?

Pacific Northwest. I've heard tell of the relevant listserv, but never had any idea how one might sign up for it.

• Locked thread