Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

remigious posted:

I had my first ever phone interview for a patron services technician position yesterday and I totally blew it. I was not prepared for the questions they asked me, things like "what's you're favorite library story," and "sell me on something."
I guess I expected to answer more customer service oriented questions.
I have another interview tomorrow at an academic library and I badly want this job.
Any tips or questions I can expect?

I find that librarians are often involved in hiring even if they don't really have much to do with the job directly. Do you know the job title of the person who is interviewing you tomorrow? If they area librarian, be prepared to have some questions like that. If they are more like a section supervisor or something the questions will probably be more directly related to the job because they will have more experience.

I base this on my limited experience interviewing for library jobs in the last year and being involved slightly in the selections for applicants at my current job. People will help interview/evaluate candidates that would be lateral to them in another department... Seems real dumb to me but there you go.

Be prepared to talk about the library's role in supporting research and the prestige of your organization. The library does not generate money directly but you are a valuable arm of your organization that streamlines things and saves time for researchers/actual important people and you are a feather in the cap of your organization when it comes to them recruiting students/faculty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I usually only drink beer or energy drink based cocktails but that's probably because I'm just a no-MLS having scrub.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

Shouldn't that just mean you have MORE booze money than people paying for another degree?

The majority of our income for a family of 3 is what I make in Access Services as an hourly so not really. I mean I could certainly afford better drinks but I'm classless.

Somewhat related to the topic at hand: If you can get work in an academic library look into their tuition benefits ASAP. I grouse about my pay but I can get a business degree at night for 95% off since I work here. An extra degree can be a great supplement or substitution to an MLIS. YMMV

Here's a gross cocktail I made for us to drink during D&D one week:

Wizened Wizard Thirstberry Blast
One shot vodka
One shot razzmatazz
One fourth of a Five Hour Energy
Fill the rest of the glass with a 50/50 mix of "Ultra Citron" Monster and Wegmans brand Peach Grapefruit diet soda.

If you don't have a Wegmans then whatever is probably fine but I can only vouch for what is listed above.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

remigious posted:

I've been volunteering at my local library for the past five months because I don't want to feel like my mlis has gone to waste, but lately my actual paying job is getting more intense and I'm too pooped to volunteer anymore. What is an acceptable amount of time to volunteer and then quit? Is six months too soon?

Tell them the demands of your paid job have increased so you can't volunteer anymore. Give them two weeks if you're feeling generous but they aren't paying you and it's running you down so don't stick around.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I did a personality test as part of an MBA track class and I found it very interesting that I scored extremely high for compatibility with library specific admin/leadership but fairly low for actual librarianship.

I am not sure exactly how to reconcile those two things or if they are of interest to anyone else.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

It's almost like you're perfect and they just want to cover themselves and bring in another cheap probation period worker.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

They wrote the loving manual so if you're doing everything in it what's the problem?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

A friend's mom works / used to work at LoC. One of her coworkers is/was an older guy with just a high school diploma who would brag about how you'd need probably 3 degrees to get hired for his job now.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

remigious posted:

Oh jeez. I've been looking around trying to find a library job because I'm going nuts here at my cushy office job. I applied for a librarian position in the next town over and was informed that I am advancing to the next stage, which is great, but I have to write a five page essay -_- I'm pretty decent at writing essays, it's just kind of intense.

Are you expected to be writing stuff to get published? Otherwise lol

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I'm not a librarian, but the poo poo you all post here makes me very appreciative of my library leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Does anyone have a task tracking app that they use / would recommend?

I supervise our Student Assistants and their hours can be pretty variable. We have been using an app for them to see a list of tasks associated with their shift and mark them off when they're done. The one we're using (Quire) seems more like it is built for project management and not daily lists. Even though it has a recurring task function, it's kind of a hassle to actually go through and mark 25-30 things done in a day.

Any thoughts?

• Locked thread