Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
I hope this thread isn't, like, super dead or anything because I could use some library job related advice. I'm not actually a librarian, though.

Anyway, I work for my library's technical services department which is the fancy title for the office full of gremlins who slap labels on all of the books and stuff and send them out to branches. I'm part-time, but one of the full-time people just left and their position is open. So. How do I phrase a cover letter to indicate that I would like a slightly nicer paycheck, more hours, and a benefits package without explicitly mentioning that I'm just greedy and want money? There's a big system-wide push right now to reinvent the library's image with input from all departments. Should I suggest that's it's hard to provide feedback or have opinions when I'm not there that often and, as a part-time person, rarely if ever interact with people outside of my department? Full-time staff are responsible for problem reports from branch staff. Or should I go with the old "I feel I am ready for more responsibility because I already volunteer for all of the extra things" approach? Basically, what do you guys think a library's HR department wants to hear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
I kind of do need to get creative here because I'm competing against at least 5 of my coworkers for this position and we're all qualified. I've got to stand out a bit. But you have given me some food for thought, because yes I would like to get an MLS and move into a branch job. Librarian positions open up reasonably often here and I've also been here long enough that the library will kick in a little money towards my getting an MLS. I just want this job, really, to fund that move. Thanks for the help! With a little luck I'm one step closer to one day never sitting through another meeting about how to more efficiently glue a cover onto a book.

• Locked thread