Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

a friendly penguin posted:

But by being the new blood and coming from a healthy background of doing good work I will likely get the benefit of the doubt in any altercations.

Unless you know for a fact the higher-ups have a habit of looking at things this way, I am confident in stating that this is the opposite of how things will go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I wasn't talking about punishment for doing something wrong, I was talking about management taking sides in a conflict between a senior and a junior employee. If accusations come from the senior employee, junior is hosed, possibly even if they can be proved false.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

That being said, in the OP it mentions that your "basic" librarian should know how to code. I guess this may be an elementary type question, but which languages do you think are the most worthwhile to learn?

Anything anything else web-related. Not just HTML, the whole suite: HTML/PHP/CSS/Javascript/SQL

I've seen some job listings asking for Ruby on Rails (about which I know nothing) in academic libraries, too. Haven't noticed it outside that setting.

Not that I know this language, but based on what I know about it and the kind of data that librarians and related professions routinely handle: Python.

Learn how to manage databases and you'll make a good systems librarian. In a small library system, though, that might make you the de facto head of IT; so you'll need to know general PC maintenance and repair, and have a handle on networking, too.

This is based on my job searches which ended over a year ago when I decided to go back to school, on things I ran across while volunteering, and on things that were woefully neglected (and which I never got authorized to fix) when I was actually working as a librarian. Second opinions are definitely required.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Chicken McNobody posted:

Anyone interested in user experience or web services, fine with being professional staff instead of faculty, and willing to work in the Deep South? We have 2 openings and sorely need good talented people to fill them. eruvande.jd@gmail.com if you want the application links.

I'm pretty sure spam bots don't care about spoiler tags.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GobiasIndustries posted:

My brother is currently working 3 library page jobs and wants to make working in a library a career. Is Wayne State's MLIS program respected? I want to help him out a bit financially and he wants to get an applicable Masters degree (undergrad in Communications) but also want to make sure he's going to a good place.

Will the library for which he currently works for-absolute-sure hire him in a Library Tech or higher position if he gets a degree? If not, this is not a good idea.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You could put them in sleeves with labels.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Is there such a thing as "archival quality ink," or is that just marketing BS?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You can be underemployed and poor no matter where you go. Stop worrying.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bitchkrieg posted:

While my background and recent professional experiences have been in special collections/rare books/archives, I'd really like to get into the data analysis field: I have an undergrad degree in STEM from a fairly prestigious engineering school, and a slew of informatics/info science courses/research projects in grad school. I'm looking for entry-level junior positions, having taught myself Python and R, and am ready to hustle hustle hustle to get a position.

It's a long shot, but any insight into making the transition would be much appreciated and helpful.

If you've got a good handle on statistics, you might try looking at social sciences departments. I know the college of education I am currently attending has a guy doing the job I think you are looking for (helping researchers run their analyses and make sure they have their numbers right).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Have you ever gotten someone giving you lip when you can't fulfill some unreasonable request about how "I pay your salary!"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Insane Totoro posted:

Who the hell mends books on site anymore?

I mean I guess why not but the replacement cost isn't usually worth the staff training and materials cost and staff time.

I did, and I learned a lot of techniques from someone who did. There are quick methods that use cheap tools.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You let it pile up for a couple of weeks, then spend an hour gluing a few dozen books back together. It can be less than a minute per item if you know what you're doing. With typical cheap glued bindings, they usually break the same way, and they're all fixed the same way.

I like the more involved repairs, though. I figured out how to re-bind paperbacks, did that for a few difficult-to-replace items.

My favorite repair method was when I took a bunch of heavily stained (mostly along the edges) and super-gross-looking Time-Life Louis L'Amour books (we had nearly his entire bibliography, including a lot of out-of-print stuff, and they were popular with people who like to go straight from working on their cars to reading the books), shoved them in book presses, and cleaned them with water and bleach. Turns out if you press paper really hard, it won't absorb water well, and the water won't penetrate past the first millimeter or two of the edge of the page, which happens to be where most of the dirt goes. Saved a bunch of popular and expensive books from the dumpster that way.

(Okay, book presses aren't that cheap, I guess. But you can use boards and a big C-clamp in a pinch, for a fraction of the price.)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Just chiming in that, in case you weren't aware, "terrifyingly crazy," "dysfunctional," and "wholly unreasonable" are things that occur in libraries. If your current job isn't going to kill you, don't risk it for a job that looks like it could be any of those things.

Better to be unemployed than be in that situation. Not even joking.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Why do they read such garbage?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
This coming from another field, but was a hunch I had based on some library interviews (including one that led to my worst job under my worst boss ever): If you have an interviewer trying to convince you that you shouldn't want the job; they might be right about the job itself, but they will probably be someone you want to work with. Bad bosses never talk poo poo about the organizations they oversee.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
People with masters degrees are talking about their experiences working in jobs that require high school diplomas in this thread. That ought to tell you something.

I haven't worked there or known anyone who does; but I can say with a reasonable level of certainty that if it is a regular federal service job (and not something weird due to being the legislative branch) it should be a lot easier to get hired if you are already a federal employee. There are a fair number of other federal library jobs.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
College reference librarian? It'd make sense to make sure someone helping people with essays can write one.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

remigious posted:

I really want this job :( but now that I am deeper into this, they want "segmentation data" for the demographics of two towns and I don't know what segmentation data is.

Do they mean for marketing? Is this position focused on a particular subject? Is there a clue in anything they said which will tell you what they mean? It looks like you're going to need more information. If they won't give it, or rule you out for needing to ask for it, congratulations, you have dodged a bullet. You don't want to work for someone who punishes you for not reading their mind.

Ask me how I know.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Basically subject specific reference then. They expect you to be expert at finding things. They probably want market segmentation data. Unless they've given you access to some subject databases, good luck, because that kind of stuff tends to be heavily paywalled, like for thousands of dollars.

It makes sense that they'd expect you to find it. Most people who aren't researchers won't know how to navigate or query those databases. A lot of people need someone to hand them verified sources. I mean sometimes you'll just be someone for an expert to bounce ideas off of, but some people need all of the help.

On the one hand, if they're looking for someone who already know how to find this stuff, fine; but they should have put that in the job announcement. On the other, asking for verification and clarification is part of a reference interview. You should probably have asked for it immediately.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Insane Totoro posted:

I feel like there are better ways to demonstrate the candidate knows something about their field. Like answering questions in an interview or presenting on the topic, where it can't be as easily fudged like in a paper.

Fudged? Either you can find the information (assuming it is real, exists, and has been properly defined) or you can't. Who even cares how you do it?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

She gave 10 to one library in each state, so 50 total. I don't think it was meant as a grand gesture, more as a token. I'm sure nobody would ever have heard about this if the librarian hadn't rejected them.

board books would probably have gone over better; kids loving eat those.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MussoliniB posted:

I’m not sure where to post this, so I’m going to give it a try here (it seems somewhat appropriate).

I’m having a general crisis. I’ve been a special education elementary school teacher for a few years now, working on my Master’s degree in New Orleans. Next year, I plan on moving to Portland and I’m really thinking about going down the path of tenure college professor. I absolutely love my job, but in a handful of years, I know I’ll be tired and I want to teach the next crew.

Not moving to Portland isn’t an option, unfortunately.

You might also try the K-12 teaching thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563040

I applied for jobs in Portland. I can't find my spreadsheet, but some of the districts, the salary - insurance premiums and rent was pretty good. Some it was pretty bad. So that's something to consider if you stay in teaching and go there. They also replied to me really late in the hiring season, after I'd already taken a job. (Might be that I didn't have experience)

What kind of SPED are you in? Maybe changing to a different specialty would help. I mean changing from Emotionally Challenged to Learning Disabilities would really lower the stress level.

And if you really did mean to come to the library thread, look into the requirements of the states you are interested in. Some states, to be a school librarian, you just need a library degree and licensed teaching experience, some you just need certain classes, some you need a library degree specifically in school libraries. If you are looking to get a library job, schools are where most of them are.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Makerspaces for everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Makerspace is the buzz-word for 3D printer setups. Or it was. Remember that for your next resume.

• Locked thread