Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Insane Totoro posted:

Job opportunity available:

If you've got STEM subject knowledge and skills in ERM, PM me. :)

Reiterating this message again. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
May I suggest..... Lamination?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

nesbit37 posted:

The only thing you could have suggested that is worse than lamination is gluing them into a scrap book and then laminating them.

That's the joke :(

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

nesbit37 posted:

Sorry, I've heard that as a serious recommendation from librarians, volunteers, etc. so many times that I just can't tell what is sarcasm anymore.

That's also a joke :v:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Why ARE library listservs so weird?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I can't ever think of a job hiring committee that asked for anything beyond "ALA accredited degree" and even then they showed no favorites to any particular institutions.

Any yahoo can get a degree. It's the rest of what they can do that counts.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

nesbit37 posted:

I can't speak for other areas of the country but Philly is fairly incestuous. If you get a job in an institution you will probably spend your whole career getting passed around from institution to institution in the area. In that case knowing someone at certain places and getting an internship or project position with them can help you get on that track. Chances are they will never ask or talk about where you went to school though.

I had always wondered about this.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
To be honest if you had a decent GPA (nobody cares if you get straight As) and then you had a ton of hands on experience.... Well you're already ahead of the game. Demonstrable and applicable experience for the job is what gets you hired.

Librarians prefer to hire someone who is.... Shelf ready.

:v:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Yes, definitely check their library website first. It can help to make a chart of what strengths you have and which ones match their particular mission and clientele.

Also, don't forget to check their local consortia and associations. That affects a lot of things of what they would do on the job.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
The best way to counter imposter syndrome is to keep the mentality that most of your coworkers are probably also faking it or are hilariously underqualified.

(because it's true)

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/12/21/tumblrs-meme-librarian-has-the-best-job-on-the-internet/

quote:

Brennan’s official job title is content and community associate at Tumblr, but everyone at the microblogging platform calls her their “meme librarian.” She spends her days on the front lines of an online meme’s creation, dissemination and, yes, inevitable death.

Isn't this more of a digital archivist?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Also everyone post their favorite mint julep recipe (this is what Confluence and LibGuides is for right?).

1 oz homemade simple syrup (infused with peppermint extract)
6 fresh mint leaves
3 oz Knob Creek bourbon
1 tsp sugar

Muddle mint and sugar.
Fill tumbler with crushed ice
Pour bourbon over ice
Add simple syrup
Stir

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Fumaofthelake posted:

I usually only drink beer or energy drink based cocktails but that's probably because I'm just a no-MLS having scrub.

Shouldn't that just mean you have MORE booze money than people paying for another degree?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I did the math. I make a little below what I should probably be making but I get crazy education benefits. For me, spouse, and dependents.

There's a running joke that even academic library paras will "collect degrees."

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

a friendly penguin posted:

Providing online chat reference is the worst!

Yea or Nay

I've always been undecided. What did a chat session achieve that an email didn't?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I don't even what to think about what you public librarians go through with BYOD and eBook licensing.

Nope.

NOPE

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, that sounds about par for the course. A lot of librarians are quite defensive about their positions because they do gently caress all at their jobs, and worry about any changes upsetting the nice apple carts they have set up.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Insane Totoro posted:

Also everyone post their favorite mint julep recipe (this is what Confluence and LibGuides is for right?).

1 oz homemade simple syrup (infused with peppermint extract)
6 fresh mint leaves
3 oz Knob Creek bourbon
1 tsp sugar

Muddle mint and sugar.
Fill tumbler with crushed ice
Pour bourbon over ice
Add simple syrup
Stir

You all need a drink....

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

remigious posted:

Well, I finally got a job! I was offered a salaried position in an office very close to where I live, so I couldn't turn it down.
Almost immediately after accepting that job, I was asked if I wanted to be a weekend substitute librarian for a town about 20 minutes away. I'm torn because it would be good experience, but I'm also worried that I would go nuts if I had no days off. What do you guys think?

Is the salaried job in a library or related field?

If you want experience just volunteer. Nobody cares if you're paid for being a librarian or you're unpaid. As long as the supervisor can give you a reference you're fine. And of course if you walk away with good on the job experience.

Once a week for a few hours is more than enough. A good director will realize you have interest but that you need to feed yourself too.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

CynCyanide posted:

I hope this thread isn't, like, super dead or anything because I could use some library job related advice. I'm not actually a librarian, though.

Anyway, I work for my library's technical services department which is the fancy title for the office full of gremlins who slap labels on all of the books and stuff and send them out to branches. I'm part-time, but one of the full-time people just left and their position is open. So. How do I phrase a cover letter to indicate that I would like a slightly nicer paycheck, more hours, and a benefits package without explicitly mentioning that I'm just greedy and want money? There's a big system-wide push right now to reinvent the library's image with input from all departments. Should I suggest that's it's hard to provide feedback or have opinions when I'm not there that often and, as a part-time person, rarely if ever interact with people outside of my department? Full-time staff are responsible for problem reports from branch staff. Or should I go with the old "I feel I am ready for more responsibility because I already volunteer for all of the extra things" approach? Basically, what do you guys think a library's HR department wants to hear?

This is more a question for the resume/cover letter thread folks but I would just submit your "normal" cover letter.

That being said, your cover letter should always explicitly lay out what makes you a good fit and state very obviously what skills you have that are applicable.

You don't need to get super creative. You're applying for the position because you're would do well at the job and everyone wants to move up.

Do you have any actual interest in getting an MLS or going further in the field?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Who the hell mends books on site anymore?

I mean I guess why not but the replacement cost isn't usually worth the staff training and materials cost and staff time.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
This was probably the most librarian-y conversation we've had except for booze chat. In my experience though, if we ever see book damage, what I see is generally stuff destroyed beyond recognition. I don't know why college kids are so hard on their books at times. But I do think that a lot of it has to do with insufficient shelf shifting and people grabbing the book by the top of the binding........... (there's a technical term for that isn't there?)

Oh, this month I just had my first scholarly article accepted. I submitted it to a T&F journal and it'll be my first official LIS-related publication. My mother read it and said it was boring :(

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
If using eBook selection pools is "patron driven acquisition..."

... is not having 3M security gates at the door "patron driven deaccession?"

Food for thought.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Oh hey lots of new posts what's going on....

.... Welp.

To add my two cents, get it in writing and if you don't, just move on.

That being said, please have a conversation with the hiring committee and ask them nicely what to expect and explain what is reasonable. If they balk..... Red flags...

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Well poo poo. Still, go and clarify the compensation!

Schmetterling posted:

I got a highly sought-after graduate librarian position at one of the biggest academic libraries in the country! It's an amazing opportunity to learn and get experience... so should I just suck it up and get over myself even though it's made me cry multiple times in four months, triggered self harm and suicidal thoughts, and I learned last week that crying in the toilets is actually an almost weekly occurrence for many of the staff here?...

... is this in Pennsylvania?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Purely intellectual question:

If you could know anything about your patron usage patterns, what would you want to know? How would you want that data presented?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

VideoTapir posted:

Why do they read such garbage?

Fair enough lol.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Whatever you do, assume that they are capable of loving you over.

Even the best people with the best intentions are capable of loving you over.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Syntax Erin posted:

Oh, nothing new to report.

Just needing a place to :qq: about still having no offer letter.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Both, and more. The position is definitely not going to be around after the project deadline (now plus extension), I've struggled with the lack of work for over a year now, and I just plain don't like it there very much. Feels like all they need for this job is a warm body on a chair to fulfill some funding requirement. I can't help but compare it to my old job, and my current one doesn't come out well either organizationally or socially. All reasons I don't want to tie myself to it for longer than strictly necessary; as it was I came in that day thinking today they either put forth some improvements or I'm quitting.

Frankly I'm kinda fed up with the whole library thing anyway, but still willing to concede that I've not had the right task in the field yet. On the other hand, all the job openings are either cataloguing, which I do grudgingly at the best of times, or part-time stuff that's not worth moving for.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

50 ml Kraken rum
25 ml lime
5ml sugar syrup
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
Ginger beer

Method:
Build over ice in a highball glass, top with ginger beer and garnish with a lime wedge. Look wistfully at shelf full of James Joyce novels and literary theory books wonder how it turned out this way. Ponder if you can face going outside today.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Okay I'm dying here: http://awfullibrarybooks.net/email-addresses-of-the-rich-and-famous/

I didn't know this was a thing until about thirty seconds ago and this is an amazing site.

"Includes email addresses for AL GORE"

"Every address in this book is accessible via CompuServe"

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
So why didn't he take the job?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It's about a 100 mile commute, so he didn't even apply.

No, I meant why didn't he apply. Not how long his commute was.

(maybe I'm too cynical and disillusioned)

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Fumaofthelake posted:

I did a personality test as part of an MBA track class and I found it very interesting that I scored extremely high for compatibility with library specific admin/leadership but fairly low for actual librarianship.

I am not sure exactly how to reconcile those two things or if they are of interest to anyone else.

Sorry missed this post on my phone...

Actual question: what makes a person specifically suited for library administration work? Is it similar to other skill sets for other administration jobs?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Schmetterling posted:

A good librarian job - Start with a few cups of tea, let your hair down, then get stuck into the scotch.

https://youtu.be/aFYutqdY6f4

Thank you. This was the perfect post-ACRL pick me up.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Cythereal posted:

My coworker who's been here for twenty years in particular was appalled at how vague and difficult to define the boss's main complaint with me was, to the point that he's wondering if this isn't politics and I somehow ticked off someone upstairs. Possibly by not being enthusiastic for our shiny new maker space with a 3d printer and other stuff that's in the pipeline that not a single person has ever asked us for instead of spending that money on things the public has asked us for.

I hate to think I may be about to get fired because I, the lowly grunt, have a differing opinion on the library's needs from management and someone upstairs took offense to overhearing it.

This is why you're in trouble.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Cythereal posted:

We'll see. They never said anything about that, and when I got back to work on Monday I mentioned that I'd done some thinking and research on the makerspace and think it's a good idea, and offered suggestions on the staff blog about how to make it a success.

Silly me thinking management would want to hear what patrons actually wanted. I really loving hate how naive I was.

Every job is like that. Get in line with admin or get out. This isn't unique to libraries.

Earn and save up political capital for the things that matter. Don't worry about the little things. Communicate concerns through the chain of command and CYA in writing if something could burn you.

But utilize that political capital when it actually does count and you can do something that builds your resume or is God forbid innovative.

Oh and if I sound clinical, I apologize. I'm stressed out at a pilot program that I'm totally sticking my neck out for but first library in the US yadda yadda innovate etc etc

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I skipped all those words but you have the most librarian username I've seen so far!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
To add to the conversation, volunteer at your regional consortia or professional organization.

They need the help.

So do you.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

remigious posted:

Oh jeez. I've been looking around trying to find a library job because I'm going nuts here at my cushy office job. I applied for a librarian position in the next town over and was informed that I am advancing to the next stage, which is great, but I have to write a five page essay -_- I'm pretty decent at writing essays, it's just kind of intense.

I thought I'd seen it all!

Nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I feel like there are better ways to demonstrate the candidate knows something about their field. Like answering questions in an interview or presenting on the topic, where it can't be as easily fudged like in a paper.

• Locked thread