Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sound! Euphonium (響け!ユーフォニアム Hibike! Euphonium) is an anime based on a manga based on a novel or something. It features 4 characters in an afternoon school club animated by Kyoto Animati-blah blah irrelevant let's get down to business.

Major Characters:

Euphonium

Pitch: Bb
Valves: 3 top/1 side Piston
Model: Yamaha YEP-621

Played by: Kumiko Oumae
The Euphonium is a mid-register brass family valved instrument. Tubing gradually increases in diameter throughout its length, resulting in a softer, gentler tone compared to cylindrical-bore instruments such as the trumpet, trombone and baritone horn (more on this later). However this conical-bore makes intonation, response, and range more difficult to learn and control compared to the other Bb harmonic series horns with equivalent fingerings: trumpet and tuba.

The YEP-621 is a discontinued model, but that doesn't mean she isn't any good! Updated models opt for spit valves on the 1st and 3rd slides for convenience over the essentially insignificant tonal quality improvement of smooth tubing. Also the main tuning slide spit valve is redesigned and reversed to help avoid spit condensation from dripping down the valve and onto the user's hands.

SPECIAL NOTE: The euphonium absolutely hates, hates, HATES being called or confused with the Baritone horn. Please know the difference! The baritone horn has tubing wrapped tighter, usually only has 3 valves, usually is not silver-plated, may feature a forward facing bell, may have valves above the tubing (British style), and as stated above has a more cylindrical bore until the bell for a lighter and brighter sound. Because of this tubing one intrusive way to tell the difference is to remove the main tuning slide and to try putting it in backwards. If it fits it's a baritone, if not it's a euphonium. This is very embarrassing though; the euphonium is far more classy than her low-life slut cousin. In summary:

Tuba

Size: 4/4
Pitch: BBb (contrabass)
Valves: 4 Rotary
Model: Yamaha YBB-641

Played by: Hazuki Katou
The Tuba is a low-register brass family valved instrument. Tubas come in many different shapes, sizes, and pitches. Due to their flexibility and effective support of bass tones, they are used in a wide variety of musical settings from concert orchestra to marching band and even solo performance. Don't let her size fool you: while tubas are famous for being large and all about the bass, I've seen tubas capable of 7 octaves i.e. higher notes than scrub-level trumpets!

Our model in this show is the YBB-641, a standard full size contrabass tuba that's good enough for orchestral use, although C pitch tubas are usually preferred there. Rotary valves are more common for tubas (compared to trumpets and euphoniums which are almost exclusively piston), and choice mostly comes down to player preference and maintenance. But the most important constant across all tuba code of conduct: Never complain about how big or heavy or aching you are. One can always spot a tuba by the empathetic yet slightly conceited look they give other orchestra and band members when they complain about their arms/shoulders/back/whatever hurting like the weak bitches they are.

Contrabass (a.k.a. Bass, Acoustic Bass, Double Bass, String Bass, Upright Bass)

Strings: 4 (E1, A1, D2, G2)

Played by: Sapphire Kawashima
Who the gently caress cares, not brass.

...oh okay, fine. The Upright Bass is a low-pitch string family instrument equivalent to the tuba. It too has applications across a wide variety of genres, notably orchestra and string ensembles but also jazz and many types of folk music. It's the only string instrument that sounds good both bowed and plucked, with plucking used by default in jazz settings with assistance from a bass amplifier. In fact, somehow the upright bass has become required by definition to legitimatize a non-funk jazz band over other bands using a poser electric bass guitar. One might ask why the standard tuning of a bass is perfect fourths like a guitar/viol instead of perfect fifths like other violin family bowed string instruments? Because gently caress you it's a bass that's why.

Trumpet

Pitch: Bb
Valves: 3 Piston
Model: Yamaha Custom Z Bobby Shew YTR-8310Z

Played by: Reina Kousaka

The Trumpet is a high-register brass family valved instrument. Due to its bright tone and loud volume, this instrument is known for being the most powerful and driving force in any musical scenario, short of maybe a drum set or the conductor. Trumpets offer the most technical play compared to euphoniums and tubas, using a wide variety of tonguing and fingering techniques. Mouthpiece selection and play with toys such as mutes are also important parts of the trumpet repertoire.

Like tubas, trumpets come in various pitches and sizes. While this show features a standard Bb model, it's no ordinary horn. The YTR-8310Z was custom designed in partnership with Bobby Shew and Yamaha Custom Z series team, featuring a lightweight body and a huge 5" bell. Thinner tapering thickness offers an unprecedented amount of tonal richness with comfortable response.

But none of that really matters, nor does any discussion about trumpets without referring to high notes. All trumpets live and die by their upper range, since it has been scientifically proven that trumpets that can hit higher notes have an indisputably larger penis. Playing the trumpet is essentially yelling "SUCK MY DIIIIICK" at everyone within earshot.

Minor Characters:

2nd Euphonium

Model: Yamaha YEP-621S? (confirmed silver plated model)

Played by: Asuka Tanaka
Looks like the same model as Kumiko but is silver-plated and wearing glasses.

Baritone "Bari Sax" Saxophone

Played by: Haruka Ogasawara
The sum total contribution to society by bari saxes can be represented by these two videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1hlzLsUaU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

2nd Trumpet

Model: Yamaha YTR-6335?YTR-8335R Xeno Series (Yellow brass/Clear lacquer)

Played by: Kaori Nakaseko
Not sure which model she is without seeing the plating or feeling how heavy her body is.New promotional materials reveal she's playing the combo-metaled reverse lead pipe model. As noted earlier it's all irrelevant; this trumpet probably has a smaller dick than Reina.

Trombone

Model: Yamaha YSL-882

Played by: Shuuichi Tsukamoto
The worst designed brass instrument. Almost. It's edged out by the French Horn on the account of the trombone being actually usable.

:siren:THE REST:siren:
https://imgur.com/a/bunLj

Other Stuff:

Official Website: http://anime-eupho.com/
Twitter?!: https://twitter.com/anime_eupho
MAL link to characters and VAs for reference stalking: http://myanimelist.net/anime/27989/Hibike!_Euphonium/characters

PVs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K39h910EQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhU8qO-qDhM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Kk9xhVkB8

OP: DREAM SOLISTER by TRUE
Orchestral: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4maNMIgRH8

ED: Tutti! (トゥッティ!) by the 4 main characters
Orchestral: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJyw6W5tP4

Other awesome songs/videos:
暴れん坊将軍のテーマ (Theme from Abarenbo Shogun)
Orpheus in the Underworld (Can-Can) by Jacques Offenbach
海兵隊 (The Marines' Hymn)
Symphony No 9 in E minor, Op 95 by Antonín Dvořák
The Fairest of the Fair by John Philip Sousa
Funiculi Funicula by Luigi Denza
RYDEEN by Yellow Magic Orchestra (orchestral)
三日月の舞/堀川奈美恵 (Crescent Moon Dance by Namie Horikawa)
マーチ「プロヴァンスの風」/田坂 直樹 (March "Wind of Provence" by Naoki Tanaka)

Spoilers: Don't!
When to watch: April 7th, 2015!
Where to watch: Crunchyroll!
Fun Fact: Did you know that literally everyone who has learned how to play euphonium has held it like a bazooka?

Enjoy the show!

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I played trumpet in middle school.

Judging by experience, Reina is going to be a huge bitch.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Contrabass is clearly the superior choice here.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Allarion posted:

Contrabass is clearly the superior choice here.

AnacondaHL posted:

Who the gently caress cares, not brass.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I played Euph from middle school all the way through college and that's why I'm gonna watch this anime. Can confirm everyone who has ever played it holds it like a bazooka

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
If the bass is just doing pizzicato the entire show, then there should better be some major calluses by the end.

Anyone who needs an amp needs to work on their finger strength. :colbert:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Oh damnit I forgot a sentence on if they show any trumpet player spinning a trumpet with the 3rd valve slide ring they immediately become the undisputed best character and character with the largest dick. Well consider this post the ultimatum.

edit: oh, I remember why I took that out; it's when I noticed all the Yamahas being used, which I don't think the slide lock is good enough for spinning. So the moral of the story is buy a better trumpet.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 1, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I am immensely disappointed at the lack of percussion. Dropped.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd never actually heard of a euphonium until I read this thread.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
It amuses me how someone could make a thread for a show and not include any details of the plot or about the characters. Guess we know what people will focus incessantly on this time. (And i thought the guy going through frames to nitpick about Free! despite not reading anything from the director saying why things were changes was bad)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it doesn't amuse me, its the sign of a loving troll and i've had it with these nerds and their stupid brass instruments

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OPs with character bios and the like are usually boring, so I appreciate the effort for this one.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
I can't wait for all the long explanations of how kyoani is doing it wrong.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Very good op. I like it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd never actually heard of a euphonium until I read this thread.

We are all here to learn, forums friend. Please take special note regarding Baritone Horn vs Euphonium.

Davincie posted:

it doesn't amuse me, its the sign of a loving troll and i've had it with these nerds and their stupid brass instruments

u mad? :troll: get gud

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

First off, good job AnacondaHL. Exceptional original post.

I initially thought you were bashing this upcoming anime based on your postings in the other threads. I'm still not entirely sure if you're genuinely looking forward to this anime or not. Regardless, the information in the OP is pretty interesting.

I didn't know that Euphoniums existed until today as real instruments. I'm not terribly musically inclined. I never learned to play an instrument and I can't read music. In fifth grade, they lined us up and made us try out for instruments, and I played a trumpet and was the only guy to be given one (everyone else got the trombone). I thought that was pretty cool, but then I moved again. I ended up going to 14 different schools by the time I was in 10th grade, so I never stayed anywhere long enough to learn music.

Well, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it. If only I'd stayed in Chancellorsville, VA.... I'd be an expert trumpet player.....

I like KyoAni animations, for the most part. Recently, they've not had a terrific record. Amigi Brilliant Park wasn't all that great, and Free wasn't either. The best, most recent, of theirs that I really liked was Hyouka (the first Chuuni was funny too, I thought). But still, I rank KyoAni up there. Most of their stuff is at least watch-able.

And, I really like musical anime. Your Lie in April is pretty good, if for no other reason than the music, and I'll always remember Kids on the Slope as one of my all time favorites simply for the music. (Just because I can't play an instrument or read music doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to it, of course).

Therefore, specifically armed with the important details of the difference between the Euphonium vs the Baritone Horn, I'm now looking forward to the first episode.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

As long as KyoAni aren't doing original stuff they're good.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I hope our protagonist plays in the righteous bass clef and not the inferior treble or unholy tenor clefs. This could make or break this anime for me.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'm glad we all agree the french horn is one of the worst instruments in existence.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I heard there's a boy in this show confirm/deny???

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

I heard there's a boy in this show confirm/deny???

If the trombone boy doesn't use his instrument to inappropriately poke the other characters then I know nothing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I played trombone in high school and I never made the phallic connection until now, and that I somehow never noticed is sincerely freaking me out. I feel like everything in my life makes sense now, and while that is overall a good thing I'm still reeling from the shock. I'm going to go chill out and watch some anime.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 2, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

I played trombone in high school and I never made the phallic connection until now, and that I somehow never noticed is sincerely freaking me out. I feel like everything in my life makes sense now, and while that is overall a good thing I'm still reeling from the shock. I'm going to go chill out and watch some anime.

Nobody in your highschool never used the term "tromboner"!?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was just a pun!!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tell me more about the anime babes

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Namtab posted:

Tell me more about the anime babes

Sure.

hth

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was so shocked about trombones being dicks that I forgot to be appalled that there's a boy in this show. Disgusting. Missing a great opportunity to give a phallic object to an anime girl.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I will not stand for the shaming of a baritone instrument! Even if she's a slut, the baritone horn is MY slut! By a similar account, a baritone guitar with a scale starting at 27 inches and a big-rear end body is like a god-send for dudes with freakishly big hands.

Now, how many chances are that this turns to be good?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i dont like how rude OP is being towards the girls in this show.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i dont like how rude OP is being towards the girls in this show.

strings sympathizer spotted :frogout:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The trumpet is the best instrument because you only need two volumes: On and Off.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

I am a fan of legs.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I hope this conversation is copied verbatim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-75vUtwbgAI

As someone who despises the concept of K-On I am going to be such a hypocrite if I start watching this show. But I'm such a concert band dork god dammit.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

please don't doxx me

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Isn't the Saxophone technically a woodwind?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Yes.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

If there is a girl with a rotary-valve trumpet she will automatically be the best girl.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Brass woodwind, yes. It's the concession we are willing to make to keep clarinets/etc the gently caress away from real bands.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

If there is a girl with a rotary-valve trumpet she will automatically be the best girl.

Yea, best at being a concert orchestra bitch.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

By the way, the most proper way for a trumpet to play in concert orchestra is to get a high F or G trumpet and play as loud and bright as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Good OP up there. I'm a Tuba player (among other instruments), but have played all brass but the French Horn (seriously, gently caress that mouth piece) here and there. I can't get enough music shows and with Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso looking like it's going to be wrapping itself up in the next couple weeks, this is very welcome indeed.

Edit: If the tuba girl has a 4-valve tuba you can all line up behind the best character.

• Locked thread