Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if this show doesn't end up yuri it's gonna be real disappointing considering this whole episode was just two girls practically yelling, "I'm gay! Gay for you!" at each other. also, no one has mentioned the tiny Midori clone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I don't think Hazuki is quite over it, since she buys the same corn dog as him. That sounds really silly, but whatever. It just seems like she's trying to push her feelings off on someone else.

And I still don't give a gently caress about Shuichi. This is a show of interesting characters and interesting dynamics between them and Shuichi isn't part of that at all. For instance, Reina just putting her trumpet down in the doorway so she can quickly walk over to encourage Kumiko is a nice detail.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Is this the first ever realistic nose bleed in an anime?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I wonder what that picture was of the teacher was looking at. Looked like a little girl...

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

They're not going to kiss.

No but they're going to continue acting like a couple and freak certain people out

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Davincie posted:

so anyone else feel like kumiko and reina sound a lot different

i went back and yeah, they do. i like how they sound now more though

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/10/06/sound-euphonium-2-episode-1/

great write-up, and confirmation that they directed kumiko's va to be more naturalistic. guess that shaped around when the movie was made.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

these last two episodes have been a teeny bit underwhelming for me because they're focusing more on new characters than building on the established relationships

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

this episode was definitely better than the first two, better direction and some more funny character animation

also kumiko stealth mode

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's less to do with the Yuri and more to the fact that I think they could express the sort of things I expect them to express about Reina (her love for the music itself, her drive to be the best and associate with the best, etc) without making us watch her spend a huge chunk of the show pining for something as completely and obviously DOA as a Teacher/Student romance. I dunno, maybe they'll surprise me.

sometimes it's about they journey and not the destination dawg

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

kyo ani shows look good less because of an excess of budget (not that they're being made on a shoestring either), but rather because kyo ani has better business practices then a lot of studios and so they retain talented animators and have good scheduling to avoid crunch

at least this is the impression i am under

pretty much

people talk about budgets, but time seems to be a much bigger factor

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

people want the girls to kiss but i want kumiko to punch asuka in the face

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

holy poo poo

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/793929583150112768

kyoani is creating a talent monster

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

cool

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Hmm, maybe I should put it more simply: that Youtuber is a clarinet player and has no idea what they're talking about w.r.t. Reina's solo, so I offer an alternative viewpoint that is 100% more correct because gently caress yeah trumpets!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

ok i like asuka again

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

this episode is up there for me with the best this show has been, beautiful framing, great character animation, really hit all the emotional notes

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

whats double dutch

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i love those shots, they're so disorienting

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i kinda want it to be over after this season unless they want to do a movie

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the problem is the source material and their seeming unwillingness (or inability?) to break from it when need be

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

also this isn't a loving love triangle, or "wrong from Taki's perspective," it's a girl crushing on her teacher

there's nothing about Taki's character that would indicate he has any interest in Reina other than as a teacher or a family friend

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The Colonel posted:

like, the big one everyone hates is chuunibyou season 2 and, uh, chuunibyou season 2 kind of has a long stretch before the ending that is absolute garbage anyway, and it still wasn't very good before that!

i hate the nichijou ending because it ended

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Axel Serenity posted:

See also: most CW shows :v:

if you think eupho has anything in common with cw shows you must be watching with your eyes closed

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

dordreff posted:

I don't see the problem. The episode was clearly about Reina realising that her feelings will never be returned, and how little she really knew about Taki in the first place, and coming to terms with that. Sure she's taking her time to get over it, but that's what happens with teenage crushes, especially when they've been nursed and nurtured for so long.

the problem for me was the execution. they do a great job with the scene where kumiko and reina go up on the mountain again, showing reina's frustration and the intimacy between the two. but the scene where reina asks taki about his wife feels flat and dull in comparison. it's an awkward situation, and i don't feel they do enough to convey that, or what reina is feeling at the time. or the scene at the end at taki's wife's grave: it should be some sort of pivotal moment of reina facing the reality of her feelings for her teacher and then playing the song, but it pales in comparison to the sort of parallel scene with asuka we got two episodes ago

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah. Like, Reina in that last scene gave me the impression that she is absolutely not over Taki - talking about wanting to win Nationals to make his dream come true and conducting herself with the air of someone resigned to watching their true love from afar for the rest of time. There's still two episodes her for to get past that, but I'm not sure how the show is going to work that naturally into the events of the narrative, and if it fails entirely then the show will end with Reina - who the show has always framed largely as a second protagonist - in a profoundly immature and really unhappy-seeming place. Just seems like a really weird and frustrating story turn to me.

it didn't really give me that impression, i think you just as easily see it as her wanting to win it for someone she looks up to. i think it was just unclear and really underwhelming

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

Talk to anyone who has ever been a high schooler at any point in human history and they will probably mention a teacher they had some kind of interest in, even if it was just passingly thinking they were attractive.

sounds like a bunch of perverts to me

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i can't believe kumiko confessed

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

There's still an episode left, but I think in the end this is a show that's about how other people influence or inspire us. It isn't about romantic relationships, explicitly, even though those are obviously influential as well. I think expecting ships or relationships to be totally defined and set in stone is both an unrealistic expectation for this show and also, boring. People's feelings aren't limited to liking one person, or liking two people the exact same way. Reina inspires, reassure, and emboldens Kumiko and Kumiko gives her emotional support and care. They probably have feelings for each other. Reina is infatuated with Taki, because he reaffirms her talents and encourages them (and also probably because he's a talented, cute older guy.) Taki probably has some sort of admiration for Reina and her talents. Shuuichi likes Kumiko, and might even be playing the trombone because of her and her sister. Kumiko probably likes Shuuichi to some extent, if just as a childhood friend. But beyond that, you have characters like Asuka and Kumiko's sister who illustrate the different ways that people respond to the influences (in their cases, parental) that others have on them.

it's why the climax of this episode is Kumiko running to her sister to tell her she loves her and she loves the eupho, and not the awards results or Reina's confession, or even the seniors addressing their juniors for the last time. It's an uplifting end for an episode of trying moments.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Shuuichi has like 5 minutes or less total of screentime so I don't know what you expect.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

You can also see that Shuuichi is probably the only person who understands (or at least the only person who understands without Kumiko telling them) what it means that Kumiko's sister came to the competition

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

why are they all so cute

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

What other arcs are there to wrap up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the shorts are funny but its so weird seeing those characters with no lighting and limited animation

• Locked thread