Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Lucius posted:

Plus it's confusing to future employers. No one on the outside is going to understand what an IT does.

No one in the Navy really knows what IT's do anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Null Integer posted:

Wanna lose your bandwidth buddy? Keep asking questions smarty.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Null Integer posted:

printer troubleshooting and MAC requests from NMCI.

According to what IT goons complain about in YOSPOS, they mostly deal with printers and MAC Requests from contractors/customers.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Hoorah Seabees, my unit's previous CMC made the Navy Times!

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

LingcodKilla posted:

You can't back that threat up!

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
all my threats are raid5

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

You mean you'll just disable my account and keep losing the Saar form, the cyberawareness cert and then the emails containing them.

Edit: Hey rates are back tomorrow!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CMD598 posted:

You mean you'll just disable my account and keep losing the Saar form, the cyberawareness cert and then the emails containing them.

I'm as incompetent as gently caress.

So yes.

Wheee! My tattoo is relevant again!

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh boy, some rock-solid intel right there.

just gotta belive in Christmas miracles man

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

CMD598 posted:

I'm still going to refer to people as Petty Officer just to annoy them more.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sir Lucius posted:

just gotta belive in Christmas miracles man

Yeah, I'm more surprised at Chief scuttlebutt being accurate than at the Great Ratings Holocaust of 2016 being rolled back.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Laranzu posted:

I'm still going to refer to people as Petty Officer just to annoy them more.

same

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, I'm more surprised at Chief scuttlebutt being accurate than at the Great Ratings Holocaust of 2016 being rolled back.

Broke clock

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I think recommending anyone who got worked up over losing the ratings for immediate separation would have been a better move but that's above my paygrade I guess

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Ratings are cool b/c traditions, and I'm totally getting a crossed keys tattoo sooner or later.

Then again, I'm a little sorry the Navy is going to bring ratings back because gently caress you if you're in.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

DownByTheWooter posted:

gently caress you if you're in.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

gently caress you

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

CMD598 posted:

You forgot about kicking it back three times for the most minor of poo poo that ONE-NET needs.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

DownByTheWooter posted:

gently caress you if you're in.

Catching up on this thread after a month underway, I saw that someone said you could follow poster's careers around here as they slide downward into bitterness. It's true, and here is my next entry. This round at sea taught me that I hate being in a room with a bunch of intel officers arguing about what they think is going to happen next. Worse, I realize now, my voice was among theirs, using the elegant sounding words that I'd read in a thinkpiece...already I become what I hate.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Red Crown posted:

Catching up on this thread after a month underway, I saw that someone said you could follow poster's careers around here as they slide downward into bitterness. It's true, and here is my next entry. This round at sea taught me that I hate being in a room with a bunch of intel officers arguing about what they think is going to happen next. Worse, I realize now, my voice was among theirs, using the elegant sounding words that I'd read in a thinkpiece...already I become what I hate.

:gary::gizz:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Red Crown posted:

in powerpoint form plz I don't have all goddam day to read this poo poo

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It has been 8 or 10 years since I was in the navy. I am glad for it. Merry Chrimbus.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
5 and a half years so far. less than 6 months to go. so close.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
FTN

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

16 in, a few to go. Keep that Chrimbus bush trimmed and wet for the Winterman.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Been out five, give it take a few weeks. gently caress everybody that's still In, but gently caress the navy more.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
143 days to go.

They still keep finding ways to poo poo in my wheaties. The only thing that assuages my frustration is the fact that I'm making about 7300/month for basically doing nothing.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Less than two months until terminal :feelsgood: I'm glad I joined the Navy but I sure as hell don't want to do it anymore. Hopefully 1 weekend a month is tolerable enough to be worth the Tricare.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I hate to blast into the thread without, uh, reading it, but Navy folks are fundamentally good folks for employment. I was a Navy nuke that really disliked it (I made EM1 but have an FTN tattoo), but got a great job at a company that is actually cool and respectful to all faiths, orientations, and genders. We are hiring in my location, so I just want to ask if we have any fellow nukes getting out soon that would be interested in living in The Dalles, Oregon and working at a Google data center. If so, feel free to PM and I can give you some pointers.

Link is below, if you so desire, but if you want to talk first I can make it a referral that might help you out. Also, non nukes that feel they fit the description are of course welcome to apply and message me for tips. Occasionaly we have opening at our other locations, but The Dalles typically has a higher cost of living and less demand, so we are generally understaffed.

https://www.google.com/about/careers/jobs#!t=jo&jid=/google/data-center-facilities-technician-the-dalles-or-usa-2660013&

This is kind of an older post at this point, but I just got back from an underway and I separate in February so it looks like a good find. I tried to PM you but the website is being a little screwy (I actually can't PM anyone, but do have Platinum), so tossing this here in case you happen to check back. I went ahead and sent in an application, but I'd be interested in learning more or in convincing you to give me a referral. I am a nuke electrician, E-5. (But not for much longer!!) Thanks.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Sorry if any San Diego Sailors get yelled at for being late today. Your CoC is frustrated that yet again everyone picked the same turnover day, which is the same day for everyone, and no coordination happened. They're frustrated that, even though literally every one of them has seen this before and literally everybody had a chance to look at it and see the danger coming, nobody noticed, or cared, or, if they did, took effective action.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I asked in the drunk thread but it didn't seem people had it - does anybody have the shim post about the kid breaking up with his girlfriend in DEP and then becoming the MCPON?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

piL posted:

Sorry if any San Diego Sailors get yelled at for being late today. Your CoC is frustrated that yet again everyone picked the same turnover day, which is the same day for everyone, and no coordination happened. They're frustrated that, even though literally every one of them has seen this before and literally everybody had a chance to look at it and see the danger coming, nobody noticed, or cared, or, if they did, took effective action.

navyleadership.txt

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Xalidur posted:

This is kind of an older post at this point, but I just got back from an underway and I separate in February so it looks like a good find. I tried to PM you but the website is being a little screwy (I actually can't PM anyone, but do have Platinum), so tossing this here in case you happen to check back. I went ahead and sent in an application, but I'd be interested in learning more or in convincing you to give me a referral. I am a nuke electrician, E-5. (But not for much longer!!) Thanks.

Hi Xalidur,
I will try to send you a PM to see if that works, if not I will try to determine some other way to get in contact with you to give you the hints/tips/tricks you may need.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Random question I was told that for most that are picking orders in the next few months they likely won't be selected for stations that are overseas or significant distances away from their current stations. The logic was because the current budget hasn't been approved so they are trying to save money on pcsing.

Does this sound right? I don't know poo poo about this.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Game out in your head "What is the absolute stupidest course of action possible?" and you will have your answer

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Virginia Slams posted:

Random question I was told that for most that are picking orders in the next few months they likely won't be selected for stations that are overseas or significant distances away from their current stations. The logic was because the current budget hasn't been approved so they are trying to save money on pcsing.

Does this sound right? I don't know poo poo about this.

While this is possible I would question it based on who said it. If it is your detailer who said this, it is possible he is trying to nudge you in the direction of some open billets nearby that you might not ordinarily ask for. It is a little fishy though because funding *is* in place till at least March. Also, the Navy would never, ever, put any impediment in your way to go to a shithole duty, so keep that in mind if the conversations heads the way of "Well, I couldn't find a lot for you away from your base, but I was able to snag this great Sub Tender for you! It is almost exactly like a shore duty! Diego Garcia is gorgeous!"

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

It's called 'no-cost orders' and it does happen close to the end of the fiscal year.

Edit: surprised that people wouldn't know the Navy does this. Navy trying to save a buck and it screws you on your dream pick? The Long Dick of the Navy wouldn't do that...

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Air Force definitely does that. I'd be surprised if the Navy doesn't.

• Locked thread