Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Davethulhu posted:

My son just got word that he's going to be assigned to to Bangor in Washington. He's IT. Anyone have any impressions?

"The stripper doesn't really love you" is an important motto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
A grassroots petition involving 100k ARIs to protest awful duty rotations was also ignored

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

MancXVI posted:

"Mr. Secretary, can we get more LAN drops and computers on this aircraft carrier?"

(not joking)

Seriously this was always a problem on a 688

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It seems you've made two poor life choices

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

KetTarma posted:

It gives perspective. Any time I am feeling bad about my current job, I think "Well, at least I got to sleep in the past 24 hours" or "at least I'm not crawling through piss-filled bilges trying to hunt down a broken cable at 3am"

Hey, its your departments own drat fault if people can't pee in funnels when they cant get a head break.

Bilge Pee'rs are trash humans who need someone to yell at them until they unfuck themselves.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The Nuclear Navy has one redeeming quality: If you are on a Submarine whose leadership isn't committed to self destruction you will work with some of the most professionally competent people you will find in your life.

You have a small chance of getting a division on a carrier with any sort of redeeming culture let alone a whole reactor department.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
SWOs eat their young

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
How sure are you that you aren't the soul crushing abysmal command now?

Nah it's cool, all commands are abysmal. Abandon all hope all ye who rack here

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Or: Compromise and apply for work at the shipyards and manufacturing. Electric Boat, Newport News, Portsmouth, are all hiring engineers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Nice! posted:

The boards vary by command, but they are a situation where you are in a room (often by yourself) and get basically grilled on the subject area. If you start to flub up or even show a lack of confidence in what is otherwise a correct answer, things can go south very fast. If you can't handle board pressure, you can't qualify. When you're not qualified, you can't stand watch or do some of the tasks that other JOs have to do, and a resentment builds. When you're delinquent in quals, you get mandatory study hours and other such fun things.

For years I worked hard to train people to KNOW rather than just know. It's a fine line and its piss easy to tell someone who knows the poo poo vs someone who memorized enough to make it to board.

I started helping quietly filter people out who were incapable of applying knowledge to a function early before they embarrassed themselves on a board.

KetTarma saw the type every day at Nuke prototype.

And to no ones surprise I see the same thing in civilian engineering daily. loving college graduates who not only need a full year of help but can't seem to get it through their skulls that they aren't being productive. Any soul who tries to improve I will drag kicking and screaming into the light but God help you if you think you're hot poo poo and start spasming on a project of mine.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Their is too much blood in my caffeine system.

Although I feel fairly confident in US missile defense against anything short of the cutting edge of Russian or Chinese make. And even then...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Just remember that often you'll have some competent E-5's who have embraced the absurdity of their situations and are entirely capable of handling everything independently and entirely transparent to your life.

These also are 99% of the time the ones who are out after their enlistment is up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nuclear War posted:

Thats a mix of decent and bad news. Googling for a bit told me that the navy and army accept people on conditional greencards while the AF only takes 10 year ones (which I won't have for about 14 months) so that's 'good'.

I was afraid the recruiter was stringing me along on what I asked for re: rank and skipping poo poo, but at least that means I can go to our next meeting with a little more knowledge. I'm in decent shape so actually doing boot camp wouldn't be a problem, it would be more the whole 'being a boot' thing, but I guess I can deal if it comes to it.
Is there any chance I would be able to go to the fleet/sail without an immediate clearance? Oh, and thanks for being straight about the recruiter bullshitting me.

The Bootcamp RDC's are only dicks to shitheel 18 year olds, if your mature about it they leave you alone and all you have to do is put up with the shitheel 18 year olds who surround you and the dumb getting woken up in the middle of the night and having no time to shower or poop.

Navy bootcamp life was super easy in retrospect.

Sadly all the good jobs in the Navy require clearances. Do Yeoman need a clearance? I'd see if you can go Yeoman or Storekeeper (Whatever they're called these days gently caress the changes) They have a pretty cushy life.

e; Or definitely go Corpsman, if you were a medic before Corpsman is the place to be. They're mostly competent if you hang around the IDC's and the marine augments and avoid the ones who gently caress up people as glorified nurses for a living.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 5, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Which island are you living on? And how familiar are you with Hawaii already?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I can't tell if that's a knockoff but the original fried rice omelette comes from the Pearl Harbor Bowling Alley grill. They are even better than they look.

90% of living in Hawaii is knowing where you're commuting between, and when. Peak traffic is some of the worst in the world. For a year I bicycling the 14 miles from the heart of Waikiki to Pearl each morning, I was doing it in under an hour easily and almost always beat traffic. (Plus bikes don't have to deals other awful parking) Traffic is in my opinion the main consideration for quality of life in Oahu.

So if you're working mainly in/near K-bay live in Kailua. If you work in pearl live in Kailua. If you're working near Schofield or that stupid bunker (It's probably this one) You're kinda out of luck since living near work means driving an hour to get to anywhere major. (Granted, its Hawaii, everything is two hours from everywhere, as long as you stay away from the dread corridor of H1 Traffic.)

I still visit every year even though I'm not there anymore. You will either wind up knowing a ton of people or be an anti-social shutin. Easy choice to make imo

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

no bones about it posted:

Its a 21 mile bike ride from where im looking to live to ft shafter. I dont really think ill be biking that, ill just leave for work extra early.

Ft Shafter is nice because its right off the Like-Like (Pronounced Leaky Leaky) highway across the mountains. If you try to live to the west or south you're in hell. (the immediate south has plenty of appartments that aren't bad, but its mostly overpacked single or double family houses) Liliha and Nuuanu are close neighborhoods that are in the mountain valley and generally have great views, especially from some of the more cliff-face houses.

But Like-Like is a strait shot across the mountains meaning you can live on the windward side. Kaneohe has some nice parts, and some great waterfront properties. Five minutes east of that is Kailua, which is seriously the best place to live on island.

Aiea heights is also not a bad choice, I lived there for a year and a half. Its close enough to Shafter that you never have to get on H1 (You take back roads and 201), and pretty central without being in Honolulu.

E2; 21 miles is extreme, since even just 16 miles puts you either in Hawaii-Kai, Milliani, or Ewa Beach/Barbers point, which means you touch H1, don't touch H1, thats the only rule. Touching H1 instantly doubles/triples/quadruples any commute time, I am not being facecious about that. Use google maps to play with your depart at time, the rush lasts hours and the traffic turns blood red.

Edit 3!;
Just for reference for other potential Hawaii people: There is a pretty good division between the good areas and the bad areas, in Honolulu itself it can do a full 180 and back again in two blocks.

But disregarding the city the areas are pretty much rankable for niceness:
1) Lanikai
2) Leahi Park
3) Kailua
4) Hawaii Kai
5) Ewa Beach/Barbers Point (which granted is itself a big area)
6) Kahala
7) Oceanside parts of Kaneohe

Lanikai and Leahi Park are multi-million dollar homes, and Ewa Beach, Kahala and Hawaii Kai are an hour commute on H1 unless you work in their immediate vicinity. Leaving Kailua and Kaneohe favorites for people who don't want to live in Honolulu.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 12, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

no bones about it posted:

The punchbowl kinda looks like the ghetto, dude.

Parts of it sure, it's a bit better in the hills. (Edit; for example check 395 Puiwa rd, top of the hill. I had three guys living there. Beautiful place, but their neighbors were a police captain and a friend of the governors so they racked up about $3k in excessive noise fines, until one time they finally just got got called out for "Inciting a riot." Not really, just a big party, but that was their last party and they moved out at the end of their lease) Most of the residents are middle income locals unless the demographics changed a lot in the last few years. It's at a nice price point. Don't be discouraged with the amount of visible poo poo in people's yards and garages, it's a thing that locals do. Even the richer ones. They horde. And I've always suspected visually they do it to keep white people from wanting to move into an area, but they do it in legitimately poor trashy areas too so I have no idea.

Some other Hawaii goon has to be around to back me up when I say: Kailua or bust. Good food, lot of retired people. Easy walk/bike ride to a few nice beaches. Little traffic.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 12, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

hogmartin posted:

I was going to recommend diving with Ocean Concepts, but it looks like they're gone now, along with Sea Breeze on Hickam and Keo's in Waikiki :(

Sad news. I got my first open water cert through them. Island Divers is pretty great these days though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

hogmartin posted:

A berthing barge would make a pretty nice party boat if you found one cheap and fixed it up right.

Having living on berthing barges for weeks here and there I agree. But they have horrible AC, which in Guam is very bad thing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Do your orders allow you to ship a car from your home of record to your permanent duty station? If so leave it in Oregon and when you finally transfer have it shipped to wherever you're stationed. If its a beater sell it and buy a base beater wherever you end up, or just buy a new car with that fancy officer paycheck. Leasing a new car when you have a guaranteed income is not as bad of a deal as people make it out to be.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
When you get to Pensacola lease a car. When they move your household goods have them ship your old car if you really want it or just leave it with family so you have a way to get around when you're visiting.

If you change duty stations a few times it turns out just leasing a car while you're there winds up being cheaper (For an equivalently nice new car) and simple in that you just give it back and lease another at your next duty station. Run a quick spreadsheet if you want to balance it.

The other reason I always kept two cars was because the way they calculate insurance with two cars is that I pay a third of what I would pay with my 911 alone.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Arione posted:

my E4 mobile was a Porsche Boxster S, my E5 mobile is a 911. Whats an 01 mobile like?

I went straight for the 911 turbo E-5 mobile *mic drop*

Nuke life

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Arione posted:

one of my nuke buddys in hawaii bought a lotus exiege, thing was sexy as gently caress, also knew a nuke e7 with a lamborghini countach, lime green, thing was a panty dropper.

There was always some garbage car with a lime Lamborghini body kit (either that or the thing had been in an awful wreck and got repaired badly) by the IMF/NRMD building. Knew a few guys who got 370Zs or vettes, no Lotus'a that I ever met though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If it's a greeting you gotta sustain the vowels on the "mate" part

Saying just "Shipmayyyyyyte..." translates to 'sarcasticly acknowledging your presence while staring through your glazed eyes and marveling at your lack of grey matter, you're hosed up and you probably don't know it and are too dumb to understand'

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Depends, 'hey shipmate' is more of a general jolly go gently caress yourself.

Just 'shipmate', preferably with a nice long drawl at the end, doubly so if you can scan their uniform and back to their face right before you say it, is just the most passive aggressive way of calling someone a shitbag.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Sir Lucius posted:

Also ask them what rate they are.

Too soon shipmate

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I was a Navy nuke that really disliked it (I made EM1 but have an FTN tattoo), but got a great job at a company that is actually cool and respectful to all faiths, orientations, and genders

Highfive fellow EM1. Rates are dead and buried if you haven't heard.

I figured it was Google the moment you said "cool and respectful" line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Because nukes who don't wash out (submarine nukes especially) (who aren't otherwise autistic etc) are the personified resume line: "Cabable of quickly and competently learning any technical operations"

Because you're kinda forced to learn to do a lot of different miscellaneous jobs; e.g.

"Fix the oxygen generator, we can't figure out why it keeps having thermal shutdowns."
"Hey trouble shoot the power supply of this special snowflake Elint collection gear that we can't give you any documentation for"
"Spend 8 hours a day monitoring mundane reactor operations"
"Sit here and annotate this fire control plot scroll"
"Fill out this obscure QA paperwork"

Which translates to the vague yet premier civilian skill set of being widely useful

• Locked thread