Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Score isn't super important but it can be used as a tie-breaker during the selection board.

I have really come to loving hate the word behoove. Every semiliterate dork in the Navy uses that word to sound smart. Thanks for triggering me Nwabudike Morgan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Seconding that you do not have to select three ratings. Three is the most you can pick, but it's your option. If you pick CTN only and aren't selected for it, you'll remain where you are unless you're unsuitable for some reason (security clearance, medical or whatever). Then you can try again later. Picking three ratings saves paperwork and time for your CCC and chain of command, but who cares about that?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Anyone been to the helo dunker? I'm going this week. Any tips n' tricks?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Booblord Zagats posted:

Hold in a giant fart and let it out as you push out of the door so everyone behind you has to swim through your poo-gas-water

I like the way you think.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

You can walk on to any ship in the Navy and ask for a tour. You're supposed to do it in a service dress uniform, though, especially if you're bringing family members.

The HELO dunker was a lot of fun! Although my sinuses feel like they're going to be chlorinated for a week.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Have a good time sweating your nuts off in MS. Great time to join as a Seabee, advancement numbers are so low they can only go up UP UP!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yes. That's a part of the process. Request your letter of eligibility online through eBenefits (specifically VONAPP, I think).

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The only other Navy goon I've ever known IRL was bluesquares, when we were stationed in Sigonella. He was a good kid, he just needed to figure some poo poo out.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

sailoring

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PneumonicBook posted:

If I go reserves I get a bonus so that's not really an option.

Paging DustyNuts to the thread!

I've lived in Wisconsin my entire pre military life, graduated High School there, driver's license, college, have always claimed State income tax there, etc. I currently own a home in Wisconsin. That being said, on my DD4 it lists my home of record as Illinois for some loving reason. At the time I was living in my car and I imagine the recruiter told me "Who cares, put your girlfriend's house or something.", and it looks like that's what I did. However, I never actually lived there at all. I'm on my way out and would much rather have Wisconsin's Veteran's benefits since they're loving amazing (free college, free college for dependents if over 30% disabled, I'll be at or above 50%). Everything I've read says that your HOR for enlisted can only be changed if you reenlist after one full day has passed, OR it was entered in error, with the burden of proof being on me (obviously).

Is it at all feasible that I can change my HOR? If so should I head to PSD to get it taken care of or contact Millington, and what would I need?

You're correct, you've probably read the MPM article for this.

quote:

a. A correction to the HOR (for officer and enlisted) may
be authorized in those instances when, through a bona fide
error, the place originally named at time of current entry into
the Service was not in fact the actual home. Any such
correction must be fully justified and the home, as corrected,
must be the actual home of the member upon entering the Service,
and not a different place selected for the member’s convenience.

b. Approval by NAVPERSCOM (PERS-312D) is required to
correct an erroneous HOR. Requests shall be submitted, via the
chain of command, to NAVPERSCOM (PERS-312D) for approval, and
must include sufficient documentary evidence to support the
member’s claim.

Get a written statement from someone in Wisconsin (parents?) that your correct address at the time of enlistment was actually the address they provide, and that the address you provided at enlistment was in error. Write a letter of your own (to PERS-312D) asking for your HOR to be changed, using your supporting letter as an enclosure. Call 1-800-U-ASK-NPC to get the correct POC for PERS-312D, either by mail, email or FAX. Send your stuff over to them and hope for the best!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Dam Neck front gate traffic is :lol: with the construction going on. It takes an hour to go 2 miles.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The smart move is to drive and park nearby and ride a bicycle through the gate to work. Or stock up on audio books I guess.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The neighborhoods around Oceana and Dam Neck are totally fine. Best bases to work at in eastern Virginia as far as I know, so I'll count myself lucky in that regard. I'm from San Diego though, and have never managed to get stationed back home. Every loving time, it doesn't happen. I miss my drat burritos and OB and hills and weather and crippling droughts.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Pewter warfare and real leathers.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I'm in a coxswain course this week. So far:

Wore a 70 SPF rashguard longsleeve shirt and cammie pants, constantly doused my face and neck with sunscreen, forgot to put sunscreen on my hands, hands are sunburned but nowhere else

Forgot my phone was in my pocket after lunch, jumped off the RHIB into the water for swimmer pick up practice, noticed within 10 seconds, phone is drying out in a bag of rice right now

Good fun other than that though.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Nah, Chesapeake inlet, brackish/fresh water. Thanks for the tip though.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Laranzu posted:

Paperwork Weenie's Big Ocean Adventure :coolfish:

It's totally this and thank you for giving me a laugh.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

When I was in Gulfport last January some dudes tried to get me to go to Michael's with them. I looked it up on Yelp or whatever and told them NOPE. I went and ate kickass oysters by myself and was glad for it.

Edit: Don't waste your life visiting Gulfport unless you're under orders. There's nothing there. Go hang out at Jackson Square in New Orleans and eat some french donuts.

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 6, 2015

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

quote:

Yea that tattoo is better than most that I see. Going to steal it but instead of lightning bolts going to change it to quills and anchors.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Don't know how I missed this one: http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/04/navy-career-counselor/

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

When I was CFL I came really close to ordering a few hundred of those stickers with a "1.5" on them to pass out after the PRT. My CMC would have disliked it though.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

germskr posted:

David Grossman frequently used an example that good shooting scores in the old Army would get a liberty pass. Maybe a 24 hour special lib to the top 10%?

When I had my CFL gig, I convinced the CO to give 24/48/72 hour liberty chits to Good/Excellent/Outstanding PRT's. Our bare minimum Satisfactory dudes put out a bit more effort and our Good+ numbers improved quite a bit.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yeah but to be fair, SWCC does go through their own version of BUD/S, and they are actually in NSW.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/244740-navy-to-christen-ship-in-honor-of-gabby-giffords

Stupid and weird.

Bring back the USS Shangri-La!

edit: I guess they're just following the convention that if you're a politician and get shot in the dome you get a USS named after you.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

LingcodKilla posted:

Sitting at home applying for jobs and it occurred to me check out my status and see if I was gained into a unit yet. Called up the NOSC and found out yes, yes you are gained into an IS unit here's a number to call. Oh by the way they muster this weekend (I mustered at the NOSC on the 17th shuffling papperwork). Great I say, wow glad I called to get this info! I had recalled that they didnt muster at the NOSC but at another facility so I ask for the address. They didnt know. But dont worry they told me... If I miss muster I can just show up the next weekend at the NOSC and claim that nobody told me.

What the living gently caress. How does the NOSC not know were units muster?

The NOSC is going to have the ultimate bottom tier FTS dudes running the place. Why would you expect anything different?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRgNQUOCeRI

Took a 72 hour liberty to see Faith No More last night in Maryland, it was loving great. Back to work tomorrow.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

ECS is great for getting to experience people knee-dropping right onto your ballsack to "stop the bleeding".

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

For what it's worth I've known a lot of people that really enjoyed their time in Japan. I spent five years in Europe and didn't really want to come back to the US. Some people hated it there though, "ugh, there's no Walmart/Ikea/whatever".

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

maffew, this happens all the time, every exam cycle, when dudes transfer in from school commands. They have all week to get that eval to you and it'll happen, they're used to doing it. I had all of the phone numbers for the schoolhouse LPO's in Pensacola because it happened so often. If for whatever reason there's a delay, get your Chief or whoever involved so they can get your ESO to scribble in a 3.60 PMA on your exam worksheet in anticipation of that Promotable special eval. The chances of that depend on what kind of command you're at, I guess. A bigass PSD probably wouldn't do it.

orange juche, an NOB won't do the trick, the eval has to be "observed" so there can be a promotion recommendation. They wrote you an observed special eval (probably straight 3.0, "P"). Special evals for the September exam have to be end-dated on or before 31 August to count. Since maffew reported to his command after that, his chain of command can't write an eval for that period of time since he wasn't on board.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

hey don't worry about the exam, go build a gazebo or pour a sidewalk or something

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Other Seabees have told me that EO's are the dumbest Seabees, confirm/deny?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

TAD to San Diego for a week, poo poo's glorious. I'm from here, and never managed to get stationed here. 70 degrees all week and god I miss this place so much.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

This actually happened to me.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtGQnyPZ6g

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

4 years, 8 months. Maybe longer. We'll see what happens. NC's love the Navy more than you, so nbd.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Just leave Lemoore every weekend to explore the not-lovely California. 3 hours to SF, 2 hours to Yosemite.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yeah, but at least it's not like the Army. They get stationed in places like Kentucky and Alabama and poo poo.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

4 years to go. Unless I make Chief, then I'll probably stay in longer. NC's love the Navy more than anyone, you know.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PneumonicBook posted:

Here's a question for people that got out recently; I'm trying to figure out exactly wtf is going to happen with my healthcare when I separate, and obviously I'm doing this super late in the process because the Navy has trained me to do everything at the last minute. I'm officially out on Sunday, I start both the reserves and my federal job on Monday. Federal healthcare won't kick in for a couple of weeks and according to my reserve transition guy he won't actually contact me about anything reserve related for a couple weeks after my separation date. I looked at TAMP but it doesn't seem like I'm eligible based on the TAMP website which says:

The four categories for TAMP eligibility are:
Members involuntarily separated from active duty and their eligible family members;
National Guard and Reserve members, collectively known as the Reserve Component (RC), separated from active duty after being called up or ordered in support of a contingency operation for an active duty period of more than 30 days and their family members;
Members separated from active duty after being involuntarily retained in support of a contingency operation and their family members; and
Members separated from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency mission and their family members.

Normally I wouldn't be freaking out but my wife scheduled an appointment for my son that can't really be moved around due to the nature of it.

If you affiliated with the reserves through the CTO and enter your SELRES contract the day after your EAOS, you're eligible for 180 days of TAMP. Here's the NPC list of SELRES benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Gray Matter, here's the SELRES benefits link.

Work with your CCC to apply for a SELRES quota through the Career Waypoints system. Once you have a SELRES quota you can start working with the CTO to complete your paperwork. The process is very streamlined these days, I think they can get you affiliated with about 7 sheets of paperwork.

• Locked thread