Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ded posted:

Your divo shouldn't be loving giving orders to you unless you are the chief of that division or it's some kind of emergency or a 'pick up that can' sort of thing.

Basically this, if the DIVO isn't working through the :chiefsay: or LPO or some odd situation (tiny command, watch floor, etc.) then something is not going correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

#millennialproblems

FTFY shippy :chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Marines aren't real people so you're okay.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Null Integer posted:

What's a chief?

A miserable little pile of secrets!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I will get to this post tomorrow depending on how Purdue does tonight now :chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

they wouldnt let me into the top secret spaces on the midway :shrug:

Need the know, shippy :chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Boon posted:

I mean...

I play Warhammer. So... :orks101:

Imperial Guard for life.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I will say it again; on active everyone I knew wanted out or to the reserves and in the reserves everyone one either wants to go active or mob. Complete 'grass is greener' syndrome.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

from what i've seen this is super true. the only exception is the strange dudes who go from IRR to reserves

Or the guy who was like a PO3 during Desert Storm and decided to come back to the reserves.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

In all my years in the Navy I have never felt even the slightest urge to check my Navy email account from anywhere other than work. WTH is wrong with you people?

Reservists.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

squarerandom posted:

:slick: I just found out that I got 5 month orders on my lunch between civilian jobs. LOL PEACE two jobs! My LPO is hella rad and helped me a lot, as well with the other CTT in our unit.

Congrats, occasionally the reserves do right by Sailors.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Analogical posted:

CS(SS) Analogical: "Have I ever told you guys about my time with the green berets?"
"gently caress off"
deep cover

Are you going to be more Hunt for Red October or Under Siege?

I'd imagine IT wouldn't be too bad, get to stay in the wonderful ~*IDC*~ at least.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

UoI posted:

Goons with any power in the Navy can only end horribly and I support you 100%.

That is only true if we see MML on the cover of Navy Times.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ASVAB scores, great, y'all gonna break out some boot stories next?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

Shower time must have been terrifying.

:nsavince:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

Look at this guy with the 40 :lol:

vulturesrow posted:

Probably a 45. He is an IDC after all.

Rude.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Collar devices?

Like restricted line, I would assume. I haven't heard anything about that and that would be even more stupid than the IDC warfare pin. Yes, let's have another massive and easy to notice item to prove someone is in the intelligence community.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Have your chance to be heard...if you're a :chiefsay: or O

"Big Navy posted:

Seeking Suggestions from E-7 and above on Future of Navy and Marine Corps Officers

GREAT LAKES, Ill. (NNS) -- Naval Service Training Command (NSTC) and the United States Naval Academy (USNA) will use crowd-sourcing to receive ideas and suggestions from the entire Navy Officer Corps and Chief's Mess regarding the core competencies of our future Navy and Marine Corps officers, April 27- May 7.

NSTC and USNA will launch the crowd-sourcing interactive website, MMOWGLI, which stands for "Massive Multi-player Online Wargame Leveraging the Internet," as a tool and initiative to seek input that will impact the future of the naval officer corps.

The portal will be open from April 27th through May 7th for all officers and senior enlisted from every community to contribute at https://portal.mmowgli.nps.edu/pcc.

The crowdsourcing site is an Office of Naval Research (ONR) and Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) product and has been utilized on over a dozen different projects to utilize input from a large community of people to generate ideas and proposed solutions to large complex problems. Past games include Piracy, Energy, and Electromagnetic Maneuver.

NSTC and USNA will obtain fleet inputs from the officer and senior enlisted community throughout the Navy in a manner that will generate a comprehensive set of recommendations that will assist in validating and/or revising the Professional Core Competencies (PCC) Manual.

Professional Core Competencies set the professional development curriculum at every officer accession command.
The game allows players to choose core competencies, identify ideas of concern or revision and elaborate on them for refinement.

There is no time commitment required for gameplay and your submissions will be anonymous. The game will be open 24-hours a day during the open period.

This is an opportunity for everyone from senior enlisted and junior officers to command master chiefs and commanding officers to have an impact on the common core curriculum for the officers who are leading Sailors and contributing to the mission of the Navy.

For more information about the game please visit the portal and log in https://portal.mmowgli.nps.edu/pcc.

For more news from Naval Service Training Command, visit https://www.navy.mil/local/greatlakes/.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Speaking of names, we need a new title for this thread. I'm tired of being khaki shamed. :negative:

You either get out a hero or stay in long enough to be the villain.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Finished up my last course work for my Masters today. Now to have a month of leisure and a bit of travel before finally starting a post-active duty, real job in June. Thanks Uncle Sam for paying for it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Pandasmores posted:

Lmao a goat with more time at sea than my LPOs.

Congratulations on the Master's Nick!

Howard Phillips posted:

Good to hear a success story. What job are you gonna start in June?

Thanks guys! I will be doing consulting work for a company that does SAP Human Capital Management module implementation. I think I surprised them when I said that I was looking forward to the travel to client sites. I haven't been able to travel as much the last three year, due mainly to budget issues, and that has made me a bit listless.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I love coming in for drill rescheduled during the week. Full time people don't bother me, no 20 meetings to go to like the weekend, and can take a nice, leisurely poop without being rushed. :feelsgood:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Much like getting your warfare pin to get people off your back, during selection season you would catch a ration of poo poo from ~*certain*~ current and retired :chiefsay:. Is it stupid? Yup. Did all of us spend the 2 seconds to send the email to NMCI to not have to hear about it? We did. Anyway, thanks for reading, G-d bless.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

got picked up for an IS2 billet for COMPACFLT, and i'm not even IS3 yet. how the heck does that work

It is easier to go down for billets than up and also, with the advancement rate, they probably don't want you filling a ISSN billet as the eventual IS2 you'll be soon. We've got a CPF unit that drills when we do but, if I remember, you're on the west coast?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I assume neither instance woke the lookouts up, those undes seamen need to be well rested.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Enjoy flying through O'Hare and seeing the terrified newbies around.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fellas, fellas, you're (we're) all tools. Now go clean something before the XO (MML) comes by :chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

What horrible things have you had in your life to make you look forward to Norfolk?

If I remember correct, he was enlisted, then Academy, and now SWO so, a lot of horrible things.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Time for my first CPO365 event. I wonder how rewarding it has to be to make up for the fact I woke up at 4 am to get here!

Probably not very as it is super dependent on how active/involved the Mess wants to be.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Strangely that's exactly what I got.

Meeting expectations, a cherished moment.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

I'm an IS, and west coast. I guess the one I'd be joining deploys to Guam and some Mid East spots, also they do rimpac

You can either try to find fun doing that or become another boring CVIC/JIC IS like the rest of us.

terrez posted:

is this how the navy works

[timg]snip[/timg]

1 weird trick to get promoted, senior enlisted HATE it!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Not an Onion article

Navy Stands Up Development Command to Breed Elite Surface Warfare Officer posted:

The Navy is in the midst of a surface warfare renaissance after 15 years of lower-end tasks in the backgrounds of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In addition to beefing up its weapons and material readiness to wage a high-end fight, the surface community is also borrowing lessons from the naval aviation to train a new cadre of elite surface warfare officers (SWOs).

Formally stood up on Tuesday in San Diego, Calif. ceremony, the Naval Surface and Mine Warfighting Development Center (NSMWDC, pronounced: Smi-Dik) seeks to pluck high preforming junior officer SWOs for intensive training in either amphibious warfare, integrated air and missile defense (IAMD) or a combined course in anti-submarine and surface warfare (ASW/SuW).

Retired Vice Adm. Tom Copeman — then commander of U.S. Surface Forces — outlined the idea in 2014 in a piece in Proceedings.

“At a rough level there are going to be three school houses — these are going to be the top SWOs — that create warfare tactics instructors in three discipline areas,” NSMWDC commander Rear Adm. Jim Kilby told USNI News on Monday.

Graduates — like those from the Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center’s “Top Gun” predecessor (Naval Fighter Weapons School) — will be peppered throughout the fleet as warfare tactics instructors (WTIs) bound for ships and classrooms as a resident “patch wearer” class of SWOs

“That means we’re purposely building these warfare tactics instructors and detailing them to specific locations where they can teach a standardized method for all of those warfare areas assigned,” Kilby said.

Surface Navy leaders have long bemoaned the steady atrophy of high-end warfare skills as demands of Iraq and Afghanistan called mostly for lobbing Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles (TLAM) at land targets and ballistic missile defense (BMD) and not coordinating a multifaceted and complex air, surface and anti-submarine war against a sophisticated enemy.

“Due to the nature of the conflicts since the end of the Cold War, the Navy, and the surface fleet specifically, have valued strike warfare over other mission areas. As a result, surface force sea control programs, skills, and capabilities have diminished and, in some cases, were eliminated,” wrote current U.S. Surface Forces commander Vice Adm. Thomas Rowden in 2014 when he was the Office of Chief of Naval Operations (OPNAV) director of surface warfare (N96).

“As we rebalance to the Pacific, we must properly prioritize procurement and training to firmly establish our preeminence in war-at-sea capabilities, specifically so we can persistently execute these missions in any maritime environment where our access might be challenged.”
In the last six months the surface force has made calls for increasing the power of surface ships, accelerating new weapons and positioning its fleet toward more complicated engagements in a move to increase SuW specifcally dubbed, distributed lethality.

Part of that effort is material but often overlooked is the personnel needed to execute the ideas

“I see [WTIs] becoming a huge part of distributed lethality,” Kilby said.
“We’re very persistent and obvious on Vice Adm. Rowden’s radar. As an example we have folks involved in the distributed lethality organizing principle, how we’re going to flesh that out and what that means.”

Eventually, NSMWDC hopes to graduate 110 WTIs a year — 40 IAMD, 40 ASW/SuW and 30 amphibious warfare — with a goal of having either an IAMD or ASW/SuW WTI on each surface ship and an amphibious WTI on every amphibious ship.

“Ultimately our goal is to send these folks to a baseline course that’s roughly five weeks long and then they’ll go to those three locations to get their specialized training in those discipline areas,” Kilby said.

NSMWDC will be headquartered at Naval Station San Diego, Calif. with the three schoolhouses spread between California (ASW/SuW), Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren, Md. (IAMD) and a planned amphibious WTI effort to with a location to be determined.

The IAMD portion is the most mature and is currently in its fifth class of training WTIs with graduates already in the fleet.

In addition to the WTI development, NSMWDC is also spinning up a training regime for the surface fleet called Surface Warfare Advanced Tactical Training (SWATT, pronounced: Swat).

In April, NSMWDC conducted a pilot SWATT program at sea to test the concept.

“The SWATT piece is a different pillar in increasing tactical proficiency and that’s taking ships to sea after they go through their basic training in their home ports but before they go and conduct a strike group wide composite unit training exercise,” Kilby said.
“That will also be taught by WTIs and other experts but it’s really different than the WTI curriculum.”

Eventually there will be a SWATT presence on both coasts, he said

http://news.usni.org/2015/06/09/navy-stands-up-development-command-to-breed-elite-surface-warfare-officer

Prediction: Graduates will be even more insufferable.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Do we get to learn how to use cutlasses and boarding pikes?

Boots still clean below deck then die off camera :chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Just visited New Orleans. Spent most of a day at museums and yeah they hilariously in denial on how awful they were during antebellum times. State rights! Woo! Freedom!

Just not for darkies duh.

WW2 museum was pretty cool but not on heavy on the artifacts as Pensacola navy flight museum. I'd say a great place for starters.

On your way back, you should take I-10 across. Do something in Houston and San Antonio, whatever, but then go to Fredericksburg to the National Museum of the Pacific War. That place is awesome and a good amount of German places to eat at too.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

also missed a good opportunity to ask the CNO when we are getting beards back

When did the dependapotamus's leave?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

According to the Navy History and Heritage Command, today's the Corpsmen's Birthday

quote:

President William McKinley signs into law a Congressional bill authorizing the establishment of the U.S. Navy Hospital Corps ‪#‎OTD‬ in 1898. ‪#‎PeopleMatter‬ U.S. Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery

So, congrats to the whinny Corpsmen here, be sure to clean up after the cake cutting ceremony and get the chairs put away :chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

You fuckers messed up my meds when you carved a hemorrhoid out of my rear end and I got sent back to the barracks nothing for the pain.

Motrin my rear end.

Boots don't get motrin.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Seqenenra posted:

Still trying to figure out why HMs like to give rectal exams when you have the flu or a cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-zf2UBp7fY

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

As former department opsec representative I'm going to have to ask you to cease this discussion from developing further, and instead talk about dogs, butts, dog zebra, and dog zebra butts.

Sure, Dog Zebra, lets see if I can remember this from 4 years ago.

"Observe sunset. Set condition Dog Zebra, show no white lights top-side. The smoking lamp out on the starboard gallery deck and lighted in upper vehicle stowage."

Thinking now, I might be mixing it up with night flight quarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

squarerandom posted:

Writing an evals for NAT sailor is pretty loving depressing:

-Took my two AT courses for two weeks
-Checked my email, like a million times
-Admin work
-Scored 3 goals in the unit's soccer game

IDC PO3 Who Cares is a straight shooter with unlimited potential.

-On time, on mission. Honor graduate for blah blah course during annual training time at whatever.

-Flexible worker. Assisted unit admin in digitally archiving paper records resulting in a 32% reduction in paper archives.

-Superior Athlete. As part of Coalition European Soccer Command, was lead striker scoring 3 goals to win and prove American superiority at all sports.

IS/CTwhatever/IT/AG 3 Who Cares continues to exceed expectations and is a credit to the command. Give increased responsibility when able!

• Locked thread