Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Applewhite posted:

I shipmate people all the time because I'm SWO trash.

SWO trash, best trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Any gouge on resignation process for SWO?

Getting closer to that minimum service requirement time and will probably be looking to get out straight from 2nd tour due to being over 30 and not wanting to delay starting my full time grad school just to take a shore duty.

How far out are you supposed to notify CoC and PERS41? Also any advice on how to properly communicate intentions for maximum QoL until resignation papers are actually dropped?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

"I have no idea why any of you guys would ever stay in."

Aside from the cynicism and lack of leadership, sounds about right.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I got to my second DIVO tour with 1 year left in the Navy. My first sit down with my new CO (who was transferring in 30 days) was introducing myself & asking if he would process my resignation before he left. Strangely, he was 100% cool with that.

Maybe because I told him how my last ship's DH sat on my lateral transfer paperwork for 5 months causing me to skip a board that forced me into orders to his ship (even though I eventually got selected for redesignation, by that time I was under my second tour DIVO orders). Or maybe he was just used to SWO JOs leaving in droves.

My separation orders came in the week the new CO got there. My fields of fucks lay barren for my entire second tour.

Can I get out at MSR even if PRD is past when obligation ends?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Angry Fish posted:

Checking into the Navy thread after 30 days of freedom. Feels good, mang.

Got my first retirement check, and realized just how bad a deal that Survivor Benefit Plan turns out to be. I should have just purchased a large $1mil term life plan for the same amount of money.

So 20 years, worth it?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Can you contact VA prior to getting out to determine exact Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility? This would help me a lot in planning so I'm not wasting a year waiting to "school up" after separation.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are you an officer or enlisted? Have you served more than 36 months active service since 9/11/2001? If you're an O and they paid for your school, your 36 month counter doesn't begin until after your obligation is up (4-5 years typically).

If you're enlisted and have been longer than 3 years, you've got 100% so long as you get honorably discharged. Like dustynuts said, you can request your eligibility letter through ebenefits.

Well I'm an officer but also prior E. My DD214 has 2 years and 11 months of service, then I got commissioned through USNA. I also paid the 1200 for Montgomery GI Bill when I was enlisted. I know the va.gov says that prior Es are eligible for Post 9/11.

However, am I fully eligible cause I paid in full for Montgomery GI Bill or am I going to have to stay in 1 month past obligation to reach 100% benefits?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Some ships try to make the dissociative state sea tour flyboys qual.

e: spelling

OOD Underway qual is a career milestone requirement for pilots on command track. This is because pilots will eventually become COs of amphibs and then big deck amphibs (helo pilots) or careers (fixed wing).

I've seen senior LT pilots in my 60 detachment and every single airboss (LCDR) qualify OOD Underway. Also saw a EA-6B pilot get attached TAD to us for a month just to qualify OOD. The EA-6B guy was on shore duty as admirals aide, I guess the admiral called in a few favors. Must have been strange for his community managers to see an OOD Underway qual on a destroyer for a completely land based pilot. He was super smart and being a pilot helps a lot in quickly learning the fundamentals.

On amphibs and carriers majority of the pilots that are ship's crew will qualify OOD as long as they are "due course" as in due course for career progression.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

buttplug posted:

2 or 3 of these guys are at my command and work in the same building I do.

goons

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Been to a couple of goon meets IRL over the years. One of my friends boot camp was actually a goon, but this was before I signed up with an actual account. Used to hang out with his "homies" when I was stationed near him after he got out.

Tokyo goon meet was probably the most normal group of people. Granted a self selecting crowd since they were living in a foreign country.

A goon meet in DC was the worst one. It was just the three of us. One guy was actually wearing a fedora and he brought a bottle of Bombay sapphire. After hitting up a BYOB jazz joint we hit up some bars. He wasn't allowed to bring in the bottle to the bars so he chugged in a parking lot near U street. Went into a bar and awkwardly stood around a bunch of trendy DC yuppies before blacking out and causing a scene after trying to talk to a chick. Got kicked out by the bouncers. Staggered into a tree outside the bar and puked all over himself before hailing a cab and going home. Me and the other dude were like :colbert:

Haven't been on a goon meet since then.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I think the CPO culture is a bit outdated for today's professional all volunteer Navy. Especially as the Navy becomes smaller and smaller. Same thing with some of the officer communities. Our service is technically oriented and leadership ability is more based on technical competency not rank anyways. We all know of commands/units where some E5 is the backbone or some O2 is the one that actually gets things done. Tends to be better at higher officer ranks but still you some people that have made it to LCDR or CDR and not worth a drat.

We need to reform/abolish CPO/Wardroom/FCPO and other BS and focus more on technical competency for leadership and management positions. If we can abolish enlisted/officer rank structure and just have a unified rank structure that's stovepiped based on duties and roles and authority is based on responsibility and specialization.

Alas it will never happen but one can dream. It would mean DOD wide reform, but even going towards something like the GS pay scale would make more sense. Everybody is on the same pay system and appropriately compensated based on experience/responsibility/ability. Get rid of toxic cultures such as goat locker etc...

Modern sailors aren't broken by class divides like before where enlisted = lower class and officer = upper. Yeah I know more lower income and minorities enlist but the divide is less and changing the system can further move towards a meritocracy.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Newport question: If I'm flying in to OCS the day before my class convenes, am I on the hook for lodging the night before? My orders say no, my recruiter gave me a non-answer, the website says yes.

Just save you receipt. Pineapple Inn is cheap but a poo poo hole. You can stay at the chalet on base. It's right across from the parking lot on the "island" part of Newport. Next to the bridge. They should have a room. You will pay with your credit card but get re-imbursed. Make sure to call OCS ahead of time to ask about transportation from airport to OCS. Chances are they won't have a duty drive, but maybe if there is a lot of you guys coming in then they might.

You're going to Newport at the best time of the year. By the time you're a senior candidate and can go out in town the weather will be amazing and you will enjoy it. OCS sucks but just don't forget that it's a game. Didn't go to OCS myself but when I was at NAPS I saw them a lot and interacted with graduates, senior candidates, and drop outs a lot. People drop out because they can't see beyond the training environment. So be wary of that.

I'm prior E now officer. Being an officer has broadened my military experience and I'm happier for it. It's different but you will get more exposure to the mission and the big picture stuff which personally I have enjoyed. Less camaraderie and interaction with the guys though, but that's the tradeoff.

Good luck!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

LordNad posted:

You may want to work on your laptop phobia if you are going to a ship. From what I hear they don't have a lot of storage space.

You're fine just use your laundry bag as auxiliary locker. Plenty of space for my Gundam and Inuyasha DVDs. (+hardcopy Ranma 1/2)

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

They be saying ADM Richardson is a favorite for next CNO. Do we really want another submariner running the Navy? I understand that he will bring technical expertise to the table during the Ohio replacement discussion/planning/procurement but I feel like we need someone more broad in experience.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Arione posted:

better than an aviator or a swo....

but what about ma girl howard?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Laranzu posted:

drown yourself in walrus pussy.
:heysexy:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Null Integer posted:

The speed that the Navy moves admin is sometimes terrifying, terrifying slow....

Still waiting for someone somewhere in the states to stamp my SUBDQ paperwork, so I can finally be released from the submarine community. But because it's taking so long, it's time to go back to "Fit for Full" and fend off orders until my force conversion is processed which can only happen once SUBDQ is finalized. I've also been the one driving this entire process, paperwork and all, I would hate for someone to actually have to rely on other people to finish this. Although I'm sure my current ECM will be happy to get rid of me(extremely overmanned), then after that it's time to poke ECMs for anyone that will take me, fighting for CTN, CT(Whatever) then IT, being a first class makes it kinda of pain in the rear end though. Any CT's willing to vouch for me?

tl;dr: the navy sucks at paperwork and it's own programs, no way a junior sailor could get though this without inadvertently loving himself over...

Were you a nuke?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

To the Petty Officer 1rst class having a bad day.

I'm sorry I didnt say good morning to you. Because its lunch and quite cloudy. Also you have aviators on so I couldnt see your eyes. That and you were 10 yards away at least. But, yes who knows we might actually be shipmates some day!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Vriess posted:

DTS claims another soul
:unsmigghh:

The thing is DTS is designed so that most idiotic mistakes can be filtered out. I wonder what he was actually doing... I heard through some senior officer grapevine that this guys was ALWAYS on travel. Was he getting points on frequent flyer programs through extensive travel?

I know a buddy of mine who got a poo poo ton of points flying around the world because he was stationed in Japan. Points on various programs were consolidated into a single program and he flew his gf out to wherever he was for pennies. Granted all his travel was legal and part of his job but if this master chief had some kind of power where he could make his own schedules without much oversight, I can see how that can be a slippery slope.

Overall I'm always appalled how some master chiefs want treatment like they are flag or general officers. Yet another negative fallout from the "triad" system that was adopted.

Let's talk about another master chief position that's completely bullshit. Look at the role of the CSMM on aegis ships. These master chiefs don't stand duty or stand watch underway. Wtf? Meanwhile you have senior department heads that stand 3 section TAO on deployment. I've seen some CSMMs stand CSC when it was convenient for them but seriously?

Also seen many fleet/force master chiefs just walk by CO/XO when visiting ships without saluting or acknowledging. And these guys show up with their own retinue of khaki butt chomper chains (mostly chiefs and senior chiefs lapping at his palm). I've heard of ridiculous positions such as "deputy" force master chief and poo poo like that or master chiefs expecting to get bonged on when visiting ships or expecting 5050 distributed to crew for their visit.

The "chief's mess" culture is an outdated system to middle level management in the Navy.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Bottom line is we're already specialized in our tasking. Respect and authority should be purely based on responsibility not blueshirt/chief/officer lines. It's antiquated and a remnant from the class divide that was reflected in the Royal Navy. A lot of our naval heritage comes from the Royal Navy.

Does the CO/Master of a ship deserve the respect he/she gets? Absolutely. So does the first mate/xo/nav/engineer/ etc... If people are hired for supply jobs and it's part of their job description that they take out trash and do laundry that's fine. But people shouldn't be expected to be serviced cause "lol I'm chief" or "lol I'm officer." I'm speaking from being prior enlisted from the very bottom (joined E1 conventional EM, did the whole cranking, take out trash and sweep, berthing cleaners, live on ship for 2 yrs and all that poo poo).

Don't get me wrong I think our Navy is pretty drat professional and our sailors are very adept, especially compared to foreign navies. On most ships, regardless of rank, most sailors are making tremendous contributions and stepping up in responsibility, but still gets on my nerves to see some poo poo nowadays. This master chief being one.

BT

With regards to CSMM, I'm fully aware of what they do, but it's a hit and miss. Besides CSMM gets a poo poo ton of support. Other chiefs, STO, EMO, CSO, FCO, and usually cross deck support if it really comes down to it. Seen FCs traded around ships in a squadron or strike group. I guess my experience with them has been less than par. I'm glad that there are CSMMs out there that earn the pay and privileges they get.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Analogical posted:

Look at yall shipfolk with your personal electronic devices and ya power plugs. Suddenly life in a SCIF ain't so easy sounding IS IT :derp:

Some of us are in the real Navy!:dukedog:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

survive living in a 100 man berthing for instance.
:a2m::greencube:

As someone who used to live in a 100+ enlisted berthing as a fresh assed E1.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Analogical posted:

They're cutting more of us loose for force conversion/admin sep. I got the list of ratings this week I can [must] pick to convert to, if my 1306 to CTN doesn't get past the TechAd, that are taking E5s from my yeargroup. If [when] he rejects it I'll immediately route one to CTR, then CTM and if all fails screw it I'll go IT since they said I could go to that school without an extension and continue to limp towards my EAOS.

:siren: AO, YN(SS), CS(SS), AWO, MM, IT/ITS, FC(AEGIS), SO/EOD/SWCC/ND and PR :siren:

NCC is adamant that we'll have to force convert over and won't be allowed to sit the remainder of our time out here as CTIs (15 months). I'll get the last laugh as I drink a 40 on the sofa watching the ISIS conflict swells up on the news as the navy realizes it got rid of 180 9ARBs for no reason and can't handle a tactical mission of any decent scope without losing manpower to P3 billet priorities.

CS(SS) Analogical: "Have I ever told you guys about my time with the green berets?"
"gently caress off"
deep cover

Doesn't make any sense to go FC(AEGIS). The training is like 2 years.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

I think the idea that you can't identify a problem without offering a solution is a stupid one and I find it prevalent in the Navy, where people who are most often in the position to identify a problem are rarely in a position to fix it.

Also, 6-8 months to go :woop:

Dunno if you've seen the "4 Reasons I Am Resigning My Commission As A Naval Officer" article that's been making the rounds. http://taskandpurpose.com/4-reasons-i-am-resigning-my-commission-as-a-naval-officer/

The online response by senior (meaning mostly terminal O4s and O5s) has been "How dare she complain and criticize without recommending solutions! Priviliged millennial!" Which speaks volumes for itself. The fact that the institution doesn't tolerate any criticism or legitimate complaint basically dooms itself to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Yeah I liked that one. Truth from the system/machine's perspective. But what can we say? It's like on one hand we're replaceable cogs in a giant system and don't matter but at the same time if there really is a cultural problem where majority of the people you want in are leaving then the system will end up hurting itself.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

nwin posted:

Yeah I agree. For a satire website, it's pretty loving accurate how top level officials probably think about some of this stuff.

A special snowflake leaves...and nothing was lost at all.

All snowflakes melt into water.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Concern is also whether he'll have to obliserv due to training (quite extensive for both IT and FC). Dunno if you just want to get out or you don't mind re-upping for potentially at least 3-4 years?

Radio IT can be useful in civilian sector if you get the right experience with the hardware. Seen comms ETs and ITs get out and work for cell phone companies.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which is, in all fairness, absolutely hilarious.

gently caress it make a CS warfare pin. Everybody needs to feel like a warrior.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Speaking of names, we need a new title for this thread. I'm tired of being khaki shamed. :negative:

+1 :(

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Early Command XO ride. I'm only pinning on O4.

SWOrn brother of the order of "due course." Well done on early command tho.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

The plan is to head to shore after this and just do jobs I find interesting and/or rewarding. I have no intention of going for the typical careerist stops like Millington. After that I'm going to play it by ear and see what my options in the real world are and make a decision based on that. Worse comes to worse I'll just finish my time in the reserves.

Gonna be detailing for 2nd tour soon. What's your personal take on sweep? First tour on Flight IIA DDG.

Is it less formal and do DIVOs get to be very hands on with everything?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

:cawg:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Technically the lowest ASVAB score in the Navy is Marine

Thread title.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

No that's not the T-shirt commodore. That's just a former CO of mine when I was enlisted and he was kindof a dick to deal with when I was in Hawaii. He's part of the leadership team that caused multiple officers to mentally snap. One department head got removed from the ship after a breakdown. A former baby SWO I know got diagnosed with PTSD from dealing with him when he was XO waiting to fleet up. Just funny to me that he got sacked for having a toxic command.
:vince:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Finished up my last course work for my Masters today. Now to have a month of leisure and a bit of travel before finally starting a post-active duty, real job in June. Thanks Uncle Sam for paying for it.

Good to hear a success story. What job are you gonna start in June?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

Norfolk is not bad. Its Virginia that sucks poo poo.

Any comment on Ghent area? Looking to live there.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

If I put my stuff in storage will the movers pick it up from storage when it comes time to PCS?

Reason is my lease is ending in 3 weeks. Buddy offered to keep me at his place until I get orders which should be in about 2 months. I don't have that much stuff but won't be able to turn his place into a storage shed.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Analogical posted:

Casually sitting a meeting with the VADM who doomed me and a hundred of my fellow arabic linguists to unemployment.

You should address him directly. It may have been a decision that he didn't know too much about until YOU spoke up.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

VADM Tighe is the first women to command a numbered fleet (10th).

My squadron of virtual warriors, deploy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

I just hate the stupid quotes people throw in their signatures. They're just so deep.

"Mission First, People Always"

• Locked thread