Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I hate to blast into the thread without, uh, reading it, but Navy folks are fundamentally good folks for employment. I was a Navy nuke that really disliked it (I made EM1 but have an FTN tattoo), but got a great job at a company that is actually cool and respectful to all faiths, orientations, and genders. We are hiring in my location, so I just want to ask if we have any fellow nukes getting out soon that would be interested in living in The Dalles, Oregon and working at a Google data center. If so, feel free to PM and I can give you some pointers.

Link is below, if you so desire, but if you want to talk first I can make it a referral that might help you out. Also, non nukes that feel they fit the description are of course welcome to apply and message me for tips. Occasionaly we have opening at our other locations, but The Dalles typically has a higher cost of living and less demand, so we are generally understaffed.

https://www.google.com/about/careers/jobs#!t=jo&jid=/google/data-center-facilities-technician-the-dalles-or-usa-2660013&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Wonder if it has anything to do with the 200 new satellites google is trying to get a permit for.

Nope, the position I am shilling for is for our facilities and operations team. Performing and managing maintenance on infrastructure equipment and whatnot. We hire a lot of nukes because we need people with experience and knowledge of mechanical, electrical and control systems. We really like the well rounded education.

That is strange rates are dead. So, uh, does that mean any nuke can qualify RO, or did they maintain NECs? I assume they did, but I have to ask. Also, being out of the Navy is lots of fun and good. I recommend doing it. Employment is *not* a problem, don't listen to Chief.

I should also mention that Nukes and Navy folks do really well at *all* data centers, not just Google's. So, look into it if you are getting out. Amazon has lots of locations, Facebook has fewer locations but pay well and are fun.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Xalidur posted:

This is kind of an older post at this point, but I just got back from an underway and I separate in February so it looks like a good find. I tried to PM you but the website is being a little screwy (I actually can't PM anyone, but do have Platinum), so tossing this here in case you happen to check back. I went ahead and sent in an application, but I'd be interested in learning more or in convincing you to give me a referral. I am a nuke electrician, E-5. (But not for much longer!!) Thanks.

Hi Xalidur,
I will try to send you a PM to see if that works, if not I will try to determine some other way to get in contact with you to give you the hints/tips/tricks you may need.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Virginia Slams posted:

Random question I was told that for most that are picking orders in the next few months they likely won't be selected for stations that are overseas or significant distances away from their current stations. The logic was because the current budget hasn't been approved so they are trying to save money on pcsing.

Does this sound right? I don't know poo poo about this.

While this is possible I would question it based on who said it. If it is your detailer who said this, it is possible he is trying to nudge you in the direction of some open billets nearby that you might not ordinarily ask for. It is a little fishy though because funding *is* in place till at least March. Also, the Navy would never, ever, put any impediment in your way to go to a shithole duty, so keep that in mind if the conversations heads the way of "Well, I couldn't find a lot for you away from your base, but I was able to snag this great Sub Tender for you! It is almost exactly like a shore duty! Diego Garcia is gorgeous!"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

It's called 'no-cost orders' and it does happen close to the end of the fiscal year.

Edit: surprised that people wouldn't know the Navy does this. Navy trying to save a buck and it screws you on your dream pick? The Long Dick of the Navy wouldn't do that...

While this is true, it happens that the end of the fiscal year is October. The 2017 budget confirmation has yet to occur though, and won't likely until February or later.

• Locked thread