Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Boon posted:

In this case your anecdotal evidence checks out. I retract my previous accusation. Keelhaul all khakis.

I wonder if it's just resistance to actually having to learn in their old age? If someone finds out a better or more efficient way, that means they weren't smart enough to figure it out themselves, so it's a personal insult to their intelligence. This insecurity then embiggens a threat response to shut the initiative down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

LingcodKilla posted:

All underage drinkers except one(loser who bought the booze) and one chick ended up in the hospital but is ok now.

Plugged and Chugged the fetus right outta her.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Haha, oh wow. All the students at CID just had to sign these new Page 13's. They all have a single paragraph on them and it's too good not to share. It defines (so it can outlaw) sexual activity (on base).

quote:

For the purposes of this instruction, "sexual activity" means fondling, foreplay, vaginal intercourse, anal intercourse, fellatio, cunnilingus, digital penetration of the vagina or anus, or penetration of the vaginal or anal opening by an inanimate object, when such an activity concurs between persons, regardless of the sex of the individuals involved. To arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person is also defined as sexual activity, which may include kissing.

Every single student had to sign one.
They even had Chiefs come in to explain and elaborate on things like what "digital penetration" means.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

ded posted:

I would like to know what exactly digital penetration is, as defined by the finest NCOs of the United States Navy.

I heard one was wiggling her fingers in the air as she said it.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Seqenenra posted:

You don't even have to be an MA, just volunteer to help with the urinalysis program and you'll see all the dick you can stand.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

PneumonicBook posted:

There is so much junior sailor angst in here it's loving hilarious.

Better than SWO chat.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Hold in a giant fart and let it out as you push out of the door so everyone behind you has to swim through your poo-gas-water

I did that during my wedding rehearsal. Both sides of the family had to walk through it.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
From Idiots on Facebook: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683320&pagenumber=167#post443690842

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

poopkitty posted:

LOL. Being that I am a Female and also a Chief, :chiefsay: I am in a few groups on FB with other female CPOs. I have one of those women blocked so I don't have to see her offensive, immature prattle. Good to see that the Mess is representing as always.

Also, 420 days.

:devil: Post the screenshot to the MCPON's page. :redass:

Vriess fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 7, 2015

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
On the Nimitz during 2006-2009, I had a gaming laptop. One of the last ones alienware made before Dell purchased them. Took that thing literally all around the world with me. It has sand from Dubai and Fallon in it both. Played Dawn of War: Dark Crusade for months.

Nimitz had a computer classroom for NCPACE. On Sundays, the ITs from ComSys would run the join and install Battlefield and Warcraft III on it. Had so much fun doing that, the next deployment I brought a wireless router with me and set up an Ad-Hoc network in the berthing. Everyone who brought their laptops connected to it and we could play games with each other.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

There was also a pretty ridiculous amount of Cat-5 run on the O-3 between a couple of staterooms and certain FC spaces from which a poo poo ton of network based CoD went down.

Having served in Nimitz S-2 for cranking, I was distinctly aware of this.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Imperial Guard for life.

Imperial Guard are just Gue'vesa who have not yet embraced the Greater Good.
Soon, all shall know the ways of the Tau and the galaxy will be at peace.

Please deposit your gonads in the receptor gue'la before being issued your pulse rifle.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

ded posted:

tosh is so good even the navy times reports about him

DTS claims another soul
:unsmigghh:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

germskr posted:

I don't know if it's our scanner or the browser but none of my receipts are viewable. Oh well, paid out of pocket and got reimbursed but Jesus, Citibank really knows how to annoy the poo poo out of a person.

While you *can* scan them, the most efficient method of upload is actually fax machine.

I wish I was making this up.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Nick Soapdish posted:

ASVAB scores, great, y'all gonna break out some boot stories next?

Order the soup. Pour all your food in the soup. Shovel it in.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

germskr posted:

I asked a few months ago and got a Coastie to reply mostly, but any DC GiP goons that can say yes or no to living near N Kings Highway? The place is very close to the Walmart Supercenter down that way. Friend of a friend said the closer you get to Groveton and Hybla Valley the sketchier it gets. Since next command will have weird working hours, I'd rather not come off a super long shift only to get shanked (which is why I ruled out southeast despite it being very close to JBAB.)

Dedicated off-street parking and w/d in unit are a must (entitled enlisted I guess) so if anybody has recommendations, I'm all ears. Thanks.

sketchy just means "more black people"

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

squarerandom posted:

Finally got over here to Fort Meade. Staying on the Barracks because apparently 5 month orders aren't long enough for a full PCS move. So gently caress yeah to room inspections, having to pay for wifi again, being 5 miles from the Exchange and having like 5 different security levels on a walk across the block. I don't even think it's possible to get off the base. There's only shuttles to other parts of the base :feelsgood:

Who has two thumbs, bought cereal and milk but doesn't have a bowl. THISSSSSSSS GUY.

Go to Bangkok Kitchen across the road from the maingate for Lunch. Eat all the Thai food you can handle for like $8.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

LingcodKilla posted:

You know the answer. This Friday was already slated for an all day safety brief on the three day weekend.

THAT'S why I'm compressed these next two weeks!?

What the gently caress. I thought the CO was being nice and givin' y'all a 96.
Haha. That is tragically hilarious. Now everyone can just eat the log.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

LingcodKilla posted:

Glad to be of service? Never did run into you.

A couple of us are instructors, not students. Currently dealing with some food poisoning from a Fajita Burrito I had at Vallarta's.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

For the longest time I thought grape garden was Greek or something but it is pretty good takeout Chinese.

There's a place up at Pine Forest & 9 Mile called Hot-Headed Burrito.

It's pretty close to a Chipotle without the rear end blood.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

CMD598 posted:

So how common is twice a day cleaning stations?

When I was on Nimitz it was every goddamned day. Days cleaned the workspace during the Mornings and the berthing on the evenings. Nights did the opposite.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

maffew buildings posted:

How often did you think about suicide on a carrier

Had a jumper every single deployment. So four times?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Depends are you a nuke or have you been recently raped by your LPO only to see him just lose a stripe and nothing else happen?

That's about the only clip of Carrier I ever watched.

Yeah, that was the Nimitz too. I was on during that, but the EA-6B squadron wasn't allowed to sign the papers. Thus, we were barred from being featured.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
gently caress You Ware!
gently caress You Dawfeen!

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

buttplug posted:

Yes they do. Information Assurance *is* defensive, it's just passive. Not to be confused with sitting your happy rear end in Splunk all day (i.e. active "defense") and button-mashing analytics that someone else wrote, like a good non-ION CTN.

*glasses pushed to nose*
It's called RIOT now.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
I once asked the CNO (Greenert at the time) about the US Navy's response to Chinese Carriers once.

Everyone rolled their eyes at me. He gave me a coin and responded that Chinese can't operate in blue water yet and were coastal.

Seems they're pretty good at making new coasts nowadays, so whatever. At least it wasn't a question about uniform bullshit.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
I honestly never really minded it. I guess if you cross-rate, you don't put your entire identity on a job title.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

M_Gargantua posted:

It seems you've made two poor life choices

:pusheen:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
I'm glad I'm out. In two months, Boots are going to Great Lakes and RDCs are going to be making them learn their Chain of Command with The Honorable President Donald Trump at the top, and every single installation will have his smug orange face on the top picture.

Still have to work at Corry Station tho'.

Hahaha

Oh poo poo. In 30 years there's going to be a USS DONALD TRUMP Carrier

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Booblord Zagats posted:

And it will be yuuuuuugggggeeee

and probably still a Ford-Class.

Hahaha. GERALD FORD-Class Nuclear Aircraft Carrier USS DONALD TRUMP

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Howard Phillips posted:

For those goons on the out can you give me lessons learned on the DD214 drafting/approval process?

When I was discharged from enlisted service to attend USNA my DD214 was all messed up and I had no say or awareness of the process. I had to submit a DD215 to get some stuff added and even that was done because a kind admin gentleman at the academy fought it on my behalf.

I just want to make sure everything that I've earned and done is properly documented before I get out.

My lesson learned was: Don't expect to obtain your DD214 on a timely basis when some crazy loving NMCI IT gently caress decides to shoot up the place in Andrews AFB.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
CID isn't giving a 96. All students in JCAC have to come back to class on Friday.

Haha, suck it.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

LingcodKilla posted:

I haven't taken JCAC yet but if the scheduling is anything like the pace of System Admin losing a day would involve 90 minutes of power point time.

there's a couple of instructor goons and about 3-4 goons who graduated it.

But yeah, usually a 96 is granted, meaning a 2-hour compression per day for a week to make up for it.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Crossdeck (won't happen) or get out of the navy. Otherwise, unless you are one of maybe 30 people on the ship lucky enough to get a skate gig, you are going to hate your life, because your command will be incapable of task management and will be constantly behind and take it out you, of course, because, guess what, they have no consequences for utilizing their infinitely available manpower.

gently caress the shipyards. gently caress insurv, gently caress the Navy.

Good thing on being a squadron. No shipyards. Just NAS Fallon. Sure, half the port call is spend on watch and not actually leaving the ship, but.. uhh..

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

buttplug posted:

Everybody I know [that went to Navy OCS] did it with their respective recruiter.

Random question: who gets all of the PO1s and PO2s together and teaches them how to concoct their lovely 30-line signature blocks, complete with listing out all of their useless IT certifications and their Associate's from UMUC in General Studies? Serious question...it looks so, so loving stupid.

CPO365

Don't forget about the Bible verses and famous quotes from [person]

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

ded posted:

IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS EMAIL YOU MUST DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY

----------------------------------------
NAME
TITLE
CERTIFICATIONS
STATION
PHONE
NIPR
ADDRESS

" This signature line and my digital signature is the equivalent of a hard copy signature, serving to authenticate that I have the authority to send this e-mail and to indicate I have consciously decided that it should have the same legal authority normally accorded to an actual hard copy signature.

FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY - Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, applies. This email may contain information that must be protected in accordance with 5 U.S.C.s 552a, as implemented within the DoD by 32 C.F.R. Part 310 and DoD 5400.11R and with the Department of the Navy by SECNAVINST 5211.5D."

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's gonna be an NFO so he has a while before he has to worry about it. And what he's gonna have to deal with is seaperson smith raping a local/stabbing a cabbie while they're deployed to okinawa.

Surprised the standard methods haven't made it into CACO training.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Null Integer posted:

No one in the Navy really knows what IT's do anyways.

printer troubleshooting and MAC requests from NMCI.

According to what IT goons complain about in YOSPOS, they mostly deal with printers and MAC Requests from contractors/customers.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

DownByTheWooter posted:

gently caress you if you're in.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Red Crown posted:

Catching up on this thread after a month underway, I saw that someone said you could follow poster's careers around here as they slide downward into bitterness. It's true, and here is my next entry. This round at sea taught me that I hate being in a room with a bunch of intel officers arguing about what they think is going to happen next. Worse, I realize now, my voice was among theirs, using the elegant sounding words that I'd read in a thinkpiece...already I become what I hate.

:gary::gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

piL posted:

Sorry if any San Diego Sailors get yelled at for being late today. Your CoC is frustrated that yet again everyone picked the same turnover day, which is the same day for everyone, and no coordination happened. They're frustrated that, even though literally every one of them has seen this before and literally everybody had a chance to look at it and see the danger coming, nobody noticed, or cared, or, if they did, took effective action.

navyleadership.txt

• Locked thread