Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pandasmores posted:

gently caress medical and their record losing ways.

lol if you ever get sick or injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Question for enlisted Goons:

When your DIVO has a job for you and he says "We need to take care of whatever task" when he of course really means you need to take care of it, is it more annoying than if he just comes right out and says "You need to do this" or does him saying "we" make you feel more like part of a team?

Asking for a friend.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

In a group situation, we is ok. Saying it to someone one on one when you're not actually helping with anything is lovely.

I'm helping you by providing my leadership.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ded posted:

You should shipmate him.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I shipmate people all the time because I'm SWO trash.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

bengy81 posted:

IRREGARDLESS of your feelings Petty Officer, it would BEHOOVE you to UNFUCK your ATTITUDE before I have to put my size 10 boot up your rear end. :chiefsay:

You see, chief, what had happened was...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Bos'ns mates have more fun/better friends than any other rate so it's a trade off.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Finally got around to watching the first EP of TNT's The Last Ship.

A less accurate portrayal of SWO life than Battleship.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
One of the best parts of The Last Ship was when the crew assembled on the flight deck for all hands call, and the Co steps out of OOD station #3 to address them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

germskr posted:

Glad to see that no log book was safe from the watch stander's boredom, even back then. Wonder what other doodles were on the inside.

My section leaders were total dicks about it if I drew in the logbook on watch >:/

BT

quick question,
What's the name of the ditty that plays 5 minutes before Reville? I can only remember it as the "5 minute warning" song but I know it has to have a formal name. It's the one that's the "starters to your posts" tune they play on racetracks.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

THANK YOU! It was driving us nuts.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
But yeah, back to drawing on watch, I ended up just taking a blank notebook with me so I could draw in it during boring watches.
Some of my fav stuff was drawn on the midwatch and the 2-7.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

I wish shore installations did colors the same way ships do. Whistle, flag goes up/down. Whistle, carry on. No stupid national anthem.

You only do colors while in port and you're still listening to the installation play the national anthem tho?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

Never heard it in any port I've been stationed in. Just the whistle.

Ships inport San Diego and Norfolk both synch their colors with the installation and the OOD has to stand at attention until the anthem is done.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

They sure didn't when I was there.

When were you there?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

maffew buildings posted:

IF YOU'RE AT ATTENTION AT ALL TIMES THEN PROBLEM SOLVED SHIPMATE

Did you just shipmate me, shipmate?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

bengy81 posted:

Edit: don't forget the wannabe Hemmingways, and dudes just doing their time until they cash out to go to Ivy League law school, on scholarship.

Or Asimovs, lol.
This book was written on watch.
E: Not by me, incidentally.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 6, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

The synopsis is 99% exposition. Thats never good

The main character is named after the author. OS1 (Space Warfare) Coleman.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Howard Phillips posted:

Moving to Norfolk next week. Here comes the second tour of my life. Also will have to decide to resign or be lifer in a year. And I still don't know what I'm gonna do when I grow up.

What command you going to?
E: sry, reflex. Don't answer that.
The point is I'm in that area, too.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JulianD posted:

NNPTC, part of Joint Base Charleston.

Sneak into his room and cut the toes off all his socks.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Grumpicat posted:

Would it be a mistake to reenlist for shore duty Japan orders? I've spent a fair amount of time in Japan but I always wanted to live there for a couple years. I heard shore duty is pretty cake.

My other plan was to get out and go for a master's degree in some kind of computer poo poo and try to get a defense related job but I could still do that when I get back from Japan. I'd be 33 though.

Go to Korea instead. The smell is amazing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Heard bad things about Sasebo as well.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Did they get the Sealab guy to do the voice of Uncle Sam in the Uncle Sam OPSEC NKO training? It sounds like the sealab guy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mad Dragon posted:

The one who died in 2003?

Oh yeah huh. I guess it couldn't be him. It sure sounds like him though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Anita Dickinme posted:

I feel weird when I do something wrong and no one yells at me. :ohdear:

Same. I prefer to be yelled at because you at least know how your boss feels about it. Senior officers who act like everything is okay then slap you with a counseling chit seemingly out of nowhere are the worst.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ManMythLegend posted:

I've toured her a few times. She's awesome.

The XO/CO job on CONSTITUTION pops up on my slate from time to time. Too bad it's basically career suicide.

That's surprising. You'd think it'd be a prestige thing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Howard Phillips posted:

What's the most authentic navy/SWO tattoo you guys seen?

Now that I'm getting ready to get out I want to get one tattoo to commemorate my service.

Get a SWO pin tattooed over your heart.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Dear Cyber Awareness Dev Team: please let the game include an option to be even meaner to the stupid looking fucker who asks to use your BlackBerry to check his email. I hate his idiot face and I'd never let him touch my phone even if it were allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

What do you mean there's no option to punch him in his lovely face? It's what i'd do if I caught a fuckhead trying to swipe my phone irl.

Srsly. I savor every second of his frowny face as he turns back around on his stool.
Also, leave me alone, Asian lady I don't want to play your lovely games don't talk to me.
Dumbass guy with the blank disk don't leave your trash in my cubicle thx.

• Locked thread