Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Arione posted:

sounds more like some awkward navy brat said the wrong thing to a jock who took advantage of the situation, hell I hear "what's up n***a" all the time around here. That's nothing to beat someone up over.

If I had a nickel every time I heard a black sailor use that word I'd be rich. If I had a nickel for every time I hear a white sailor friend say it in the company of said black sailors I could fill up a sock. It's frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nothing will suprise me about Navy medicine after they cut out a hemorrhoid but didnt think any pain meds other than a shot right before the cut was needed.

I needed some meds.

Badly.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

poopkitty posted:

next month's thread title.

Thank my rear end for its service.

VVV I'm touched! VVV

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 5, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arione posted:

you mean scraping paint and flipping burgers isnt a good post navy job chief? I hear as a MA all that ID checking experience nets you a pretty sweet job as a walmart greeter, or maybe even a sam's club receipt checker. k9 units get to be mall cops!

I overheard a chief giving a pep talk to a group of 15 restricted sailors that going to the fleet undesignated wasn't so bad because now they get to see more jobs and maybe IT or CT wasn't for them anyways.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arione posted:

Good ol cory station, few years ago they just sent you to HT or MC school, tho i saw a few shitbags get sent MA. to go undesignated you pretty much had to rape someone.

All underage drinkers except one(loser who bought the booze) and one chick ended up in the hospital but is ok now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arione posted:

wa sit another mandingo party? we had a girl hold one when i was there, her and the 9 dudes all went up

Strangely enough it looked to be about 50% boy/girl with a good mix of races representatin! Brought a tear to my eye that alcohol abuse in the navy really knows no race/gender lines.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vriess posted:

Haha, oh wow. All the students at CID just had to sign these new Page 13's. They all have a single paragraph on them and it's too good not to share. It defines (so it can outlaw) sexual activity (on base).

Every single student had to sign one.
They even had Chiefs come in to explain and elaborate on things like what "digital penetration" means.

Actually they didnt explain it in my class and nobody asked the chief questions.

They just asked me after he left instead so I got to explain that digital penetration was not putting iphones in each others hoohahs.

Got to explain the difference between rape and sexual assault too. I love these kids.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arione posted:

does that apply only to base or is the hotel 50 yards from base about to go out of business?

I could make a killing with an RV parked right off base.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got chewed on by a Marine officer today. Stupid little silver bars are really loving hard to see on your desert camis. I'm sorry I mistook you for a E-1 and just smiled.

I'll do better next time sir. Sorry Sir. Wont happen again Sir. Sir.

Why cant we all get along?

Would happen to the first Marine officer I run across.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

Should have explained that you are a reservist, too old for this poo poo, and that you don't, in fact, give a gently caress.

I think it made his day. I'm ok with that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

If he's a butter bar at an Intel command he's probably the most moto piece of poo poo in the world. Especially if prior enlisted.

Nah he was a two silver bar officer(Lieutant I guess). I just start wildly saluting every direction if I can tell its an officer and he got me walking out of the turnstile from the medical clinic.

I freaking hate walking out of the compounds and right into a swarm of O-1s arriving for class. Sometimes I feel like I have to salute with both arms theres so many of them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

buttplug posted:

2 silver bars (aka railroad tracks) is a Captain in the USMC. http://www.defense.gov/about/insignias/

Give it 6 months, you literally won't think twice about when to salute (or not). It'll just come naturally.

I'm not a shitbag on purpose. I got no inherit problem saluting anyone. I've noticed the black NCO and enlisted pins really stick out but damned if those silver ones dont just blend in with their spring/summer uniform.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The enlisted Marines here are extremely polite and seem like a good enough bunch. I feel sorry for them though because they muster every night for cleaning and are forced to do something terrible they call "Pee Tee" every day. It look awful and I'm so glad we don't have anything remotely like that here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I accidentally bowed (tripped while greeting) a chief on December 7th in front of his division.

"GODDAMN IT RECRUIT THIS ISNT JAPAN WE DONT BOW HERE"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Without knowing the quotas how can you be sure?

e: I agree with never be a corpsman.

What if you really like dick?

I'm asking for a friend.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pretty sure I met a 27y old CT something chief on Corry.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Don't transfer EPs not count anymore or something?

But yeah gently caress the Navy eval system. Unless you're a CT or IT or nuke whatever and have 80-98% advancement to e-6

Seeing a 24 year old e-6 blew my mind

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

There is so much junior sailor angst in here it's loving hilarious.

I'm learning a ton!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

I don't normally worry about the older guys we get going through A school because they are either lazy fuckups that are exactly the same as junior guys, or are super motivated because they joined late in life.

I was looking up some reserve things the other day, you can't use US MAPS, but you CAN use Navy COOL. If you joined for IT training to transfer civilian side then you should take a look at it. The Navy will pay for you to take certification tests, the only penalty for failing is the Navy won't pay for you to retest.

Yes.... I've heard about the paying for certs but nothing official. I'll take a look this COOL thing I've never heard of tonight. Still no official contact with Reserves. I understand someday they will get in contact with me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

alternatively, they'll never get in contact with you

You give me hope.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bengy81 posted:

Evals in civilian jobs are dumb too. The difference is that your eval is rarely used for anything beyond taking space on a HR managers hard drive.

I've heard that some big companies are looking to do away with annual Evals completely due to the needless amount of extra work they create.

Yup. I got a perfect "ten" on a eval at my old company but got passed for a ten year younger Marine reservist with barely a year in the company and a so-so review. The branch manager (marine reservist officer) told me he wanted to go in a different direction with his management team.

Evals mean poo poo. Be sure to blow your management team and add a rimjob if you know what's good for you.

Nothing's different in the real world you guys. I showed them though. I joined the Navy!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We didn't have any accidents with our trucks and managed to not lose any money in transit for a six month so we got bagels for breakfast and an atta boy one day but the food came after the morning crews left for the day so our version of POGS ate it all and we got stale food nine hours after.

I'm assuming the navy is similar but without the food or atta boys.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

I work in the same industry as he did, different company, and in my 6 years I have only seen 4 accidents and 1 lost piece.

During my last year we had at least three accidents (one major), two marines shoot off their pistols (one in the cab disabling his truck)(other into a locker), I found a sealed bag missing 2k, another dude got fired for losing a bag of coins worth $30 and a newish employee got caught stealing cash from an ATM the month after I left.

In seven years I've been in one major accident and 3 minors but I've only gotten assaulted(which is pretty drat rare) once and never lost anything.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

Please tell me the guy thought the divert wasn't accounted for, that would make my day.

Lamer. He borrowed a strap $2k to gamble with and intended to put it back in but he got moved routes and he begged the guy serving the machine to put it back in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hooray nontraining day!

Hooray not having to do base cleanup!

Mandatory study in classroom instead.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kinda wish I could get a superficial tour of one but by being a dirty boot student I somehow doubt it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

No poo poo? Dang some LCS was in port a few weeks back but nobody said we could do that.
I guess we aren't expected to take an interest in cool poo poo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

The one I went on is the one in Pensacola right now and is going to be here a while. I'd offer to take you up there but I PCS in about 4 days.

Oh I got a car so I can go this Saturday on my own. Heck I'd offer to be your cabin boy/servant for an actual interesting tour.

Fair sailing shipmate!

Crypto display at Corry was pretty cool.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Goon stationed at Great Mistakes how much booze do you need daily to cope

You made it! Welcome aboard shipmate!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

Ey bruh I can hook you up with that LLD chit if ya know some bad bitches

Dude I've been on LLD for over two months. Heel Spurs are a bitch and the 1.5 mile is a bitch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gay is the only way in the new Nav-ay!

Actually I mean the walking to the compound is a bitch. The actual 1.5 mile run in running shoes is easy and I get a 1100 to 1200 even injured (I'm allotted 15 minutes).

So... one of my dep pool future sailors just showed up at Corry three weeks ago and she got caught getting the D already. Her dicks roommate walked in on them and turned them in. Kinda of a jerk move but drat it they could have just hopped on a bus to the main station and rented a hotel room.

Corry really just needs a hotel of its own.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Null Integer posted:

Give it a year. I'm sure one will slip by in MEPS.

Had an admitted preopp transgended whore in my boot division. He was on hormone treatment, grew boobies and was turning marine tricks (they knew) in TeXas.
Decided he wanted to see the world. Went off the treatment and shrank up. All good for MEPs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Analogical posted:

Been rollercoastering with the detailer/CCs the past three weeks, not helping that my year group is 126% over-manned for my NEC, I don't qualify for conversion to another language or a DIRSUP billet, and my options were:

JSOC
Re-enlist CTI
Crossrate CTN
Blue to Green

What kills me is the JSOC programs that take 35Ps and 1N3s, but won't take a CTI. None of them know the reason for that either and were surprised when I mentioned it. Two of them were really interested in me because of my training/instructor record but weren't able to take me unless I was a CTN for what I'm good at. The Chief from TIO more or less told me to gently caress myself slowly from behind even though I'm an instructor in classes his personnel have to fly to us to take on a regular basis.

Command pushed me to go for CTN, since that's what they basically made me train into anyway sans operations, but the DoD won't pay for any of my certs like Sec+, CCNA or CEH so it's coming out of my pocket to possibly pass, I'm spending 600 this month alone on them. The CTNCM tech advisor said they aren't taking E5 crossrates from any year group but 2009 and 2008 unless I can convince him over email that I know something about cybersecurity and show him some certificates to back it up. So, he said to email once I get CCNA.

According to my CC, my options are CTM or get out (For jobs that retain use of a TS and my work experience, arguably my best asset). However, with terminal leave I'm not out until next November. I'm in my PRD window, but I'm also about to fail my last DLPT (You can fail 3 in a row) at which point I'm forced to reclass unless the CO lets me ride out my final 18 months as a CTI. They asked why I keep failing and I was like, I dunno man, I haven't used Arabic in three years and you have me doing this other thing.

I was going to re-enlist if I could go CTN, now I'm curious if I'll get sent to CTM until I'm out since it's only a 4 month school or if I'll stay where I am and gracefully fade away. My civilian chain finds it all pretty interesting since they didn't even know I was a linguist to begin with, though it does feel weird to essentially be told I'm getting fired. I wish I was an E4, the CTNs are swallowing up E4 crossrates but I had the misfortune to get promoted to the untouchable caste.

tl;dr whatever, at least I've got my post 9/11 and know contractors. I've got savings and it's not the end of the world to be pushed out.

Get masted? Seems to work for a lot of boots over here at Corry trying to go from e3 to e2 or even e1 undesignated. I hear its not so bad because you get to experience all of the jobs before you pick a new one!

Actually that sounds like a huge bummer and I hope it works out for you. It's kinda amazing how little some of this stuff makes sense.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Blue Angels are doing cool stuff.

Oh to be a majestic air sea-knight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Analogical posted:

Stay strong, keyboard centurion.

Keyboard Centurion. I like it.

Better than printer-bitch in any case.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm not the only goon here on Corry but I'm not really worth meeting since I'm just a dirty old boot. Honestly though you guys have been a font of knowledge and understanding on why some petty officers and chiefs act the way they act.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I met quite a few goons from TFR. Went to desert shoot with around 20 of them. Over all not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Only met one on a separate occasion who was a near disaster. Scared me enough to not want to go shooting with random strangers anymore.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

I met Mr Nice! in Hawaii and it ended poorly. On another predictable note, my SGLI beneficiary info is jacked, where do I go in the Navy Net to fix that if I can online?

Oh and I heard LingcodKilla talk about how old he was at MEPS when we were sitting in the hallway last year. It was magical because I felt less old.

That was kinda odd to be recognized like that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

If you make it to ctn school you'll meet at least 2 more. We are everywhere.

I'm the tard walking around in black tennis shoes. Feel free to yell about me not blousing my uniform!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

You all look the same. Especially when marching. I'll keep a lookout at lunchtime and and of classtime for your stragglin rear end and ask you about stairs or something. Or not.

Yeah I haven't really marched for two months due to a nagging foot injury. I'm seeing the podiatrist on Monday. I'm hoping for a cortisone shot so I can start running again.
I wear black tennis shoes so I'm not that noticeable but I get called out daily with apologies for not having my pants bloused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

I really want your navy story to eventually end that you were in for like 8 months and got medically retired at some ridiculous rating due to a foot injury at great lakes

Some dreams really do come true!

Nah, big book of navy medicine consider heel spurs to be painful but pretty much nothing else. Just takes time and rest to go away. Chances of surgery are almost zero. I can still waddle the mile and half in under 12 minutes (navy wants me to do it in under 15).

• Locked thread