Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

May I recommend some condiments? My cruise was on an LHD, and halfway through we ran out (or marines stole them). Every bit of dry meat was even dryer when we ran out of ketchup, steak sauce, whatever. Having your own bottle of siracha or whatever can really make it more bearable. Also the boat funk is strong, send him some of those car air freshner clips he can put on his rack air vent. Finally I would say kleenex and cough drops and mucinex. People pass the plague around the ship and medical never gives you anything useful (how about some motrin?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Laranzu posted:

The LHDs were fantastic for having the vent in the rack. Carriers need to join that club.

Stewing in your own midrats fart is so much worse without the vent to blow it out of the curtain.

I live in a metal fart coffin.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Well don't go OS. Going to sea to do a pretty worthless job. I worked with them for about 2 years and they seem a miserable lot (12hr shifts staring at 50s era scopes).

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Oh poo poo I saw OS and completely missed the reserves thing. Disregard.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Godholio posted:

Everyone everywhere is stupid. It's no coincidence I've got a ton of loving AF, Navy, and joint pubs/regs saved, so I can point the "experts" at the black and white that says they're loving wrong.

Look at this sea lawyer!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

With all that said, pick a cushy job where you get to sit in the AC all day.

If you wanna sit in the AC all day BE an AC (air traffic controller). After you get a qualification you will be treated like you are made of glass. Everything you do medically is some sort of 'soft down' like if you get the flu shot you can't work for 12 hours, if medical draws blood? 24 hour down, sleep it off somewhere.

Get an advanced qualification like Local or Approach and you basically can do whatever the gently caress you want and your command will tickle your balls while you do it. That rule about needing a certain rank or barracks being a percentage full to get BAH? Naw man that doesn't apply to you, you are a special snowflake. One person I know left the country with no request chit and got caught, spent a month on duty voluntarily before anyone found out (what a hard charger! Attaboys all day) and when Big Navy did find out the sentence at mast was a month's duty, time served.

But God help you if you get a hard down medically. It's like the long dick of the Navy keeps score and holds grudges and is waiting behind a curtain to yell 'gotcha motherfucka!'.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

OS seems like a pretty fun rate for sitting in a quiet air conditioned space, but I've only ever seen the AIC side of it. I assume there are some bullshit parts as well.

The AIC is the only good part of that rate and very few do it. Any job that you sit at a scope in air conditioning is a good job, but this is one of them that straddles the line and I frequently felt sympathy for. It's also one where if you are an idiot you have the ability to make everyone quickly aware of it and catch a lot of ire from the aviation side of the house.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hobolicious posted:

This has always been my plan. I hear the process takes forever though.

Getting back on the Gov't tit. We've had two openings for a job that requires no prior experience for over a year now. We did one round of hiring and everyone who was offered the job passed presumably because you get the bottom of the pay-band and its in the Bay Area which is very expensive. What my boss was telling me was that with the current laws and system you basically have no option but to hire Veteran's with disabilities (which is fine, guy I work with has sleep apnea and I got a bad back) so basically if we get 500 applicants and only 30 have the points they are the only ones interviewed. And when that list of people is whittled down to 10 and they all decline we can't go back into the pile, we have to start again.

So yeah we are doing another round, so either way I'm looking at 6 more months of overtime?

Gov't Job tip: Bring your own pillow to work, the ones they provide are almost certainly petri dishes.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Your last 6 months shouldn't be you dipping out or skating, then it becomes a hassle with the

KetTarma posted:

"Hey, I know you need to get your life in order for EAOS but could you stick around and help out with ..." type situations...

So I recommend starting that ASAP however close you are to EAOS be it a year out or you are fresh out of boot. Establish you are useless and have no impact present or gone.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

God I hated retirement ceremonies of chumps I didn't even know

I preferred them because when they listed the person's accomplishments and all that "in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service" stuff I could maybe fool myself into believing it was true and that maybe they weren't a piece of poo poo like all the people I worked with. odds are though...

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

You can always not disclose it until you get to boot camp. During inprocessing they don't want to screw up anyones paperwork because its a super hassle, so what they do is have a thing called 'the moment of truth' where you can then fully disclose it and they'll give you a pass on it. Then later when they do a deeper background check you can just tell the interviewer you disclosed it during the moment of truth and they have to let that poo poo go, no worries.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

Hey Blunts McNuggenstein, I think I gave you the wrong email so if you sent me any CEC questions, well those aren't getting an answer. Have you considered just getting a real job, though?

Don't you talk him out of this. I realized this guy is the one who wants to be an NFO, and he already seems like perfect material.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

KetTarma posted:

100% of these people were nukes.

I was like 'wtf? thats a whole lot of concentrated stupid for just one squadron'... then it all makes sense.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

Awww did a big bad NFO touch you down there?

Nothing that fun. I worked with a bunch and as an controller I learned quickly that people dressed as pilots who never went to flight school and don't understand airspace or flight rules are the worst.

Fixed wing pilots > Helo pilots > NFOs.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's a bit of an exaggeration. You don't have any leadership responsibility for a year or two while going through flight school, but as soon as you get to an operational squadron you'll most likely get tossed into a DIVO role with sailors and a chief and everything, just like a real officer.

This was a squadron I was in my last half of my enlistment. The difference was that we didn't have a chief or even a first class (e-6) in-between sometimes. As much as I think chiefs are self centered dicks, having a filter between the stupid and you is actually very desirable.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Just remember that often you'll have some competent E-5's who have embraced the absurdity of their situations and are entirely capable of handling everything independently and entirely transparent to your life.

These also are 99% of the time the ones who are out after their enlistment is up.

Null Integer posted:

Make sure they receive no award or recognition.

Quoted for truth. Two guys I worked with were absolute workhorses and we would have been up poo poo-creek without them. We had an e-6 who got demoted from POIC of our det and replaced by an E-5 and she was always organized. Like animal farm though workhorses get sold to glue factories.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I don't think the account of what happened on the ship was accurate, she wasn't given a sandwich baggie full of Motrin and some dramamine.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

First off, what kind of army does Norway have that after 8 years you haven't sworn off military service ever again?

You can definitely go to the fleet without a clearance. We had a ceremony for the people who got citizenship on the boat. Again as a previous poster said without a clearance you won't get a good job in a technical field, and I can't think of a single non-poo poo job that won't require one. So if you go to the fleet you can expect to crank or chip sand paint.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Howard Phillips posted:

Having Navy Officer, specifically SWO, experience on the resume seems to be a mixed bag as I prepare for civilian land.

Stultus Maximus posted:

get a real qualification

Trimmed the fat a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

It's called 'no-cost orders' and it does happen close to the end of the fiscal year.

Edit: surprised that people wouldn't know the Navy does this. Navy trying to save a buck and it screws you on your dream pick? The Long Dick of the Navy wouldn't do that...

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 30, 2016

• Locked thread