Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Since it's now open source - this may be of interest to people in the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgv5ixxgTsQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My boss just told me, "We've always done it that way why change it now?" In response to a change I'd proposed in an assessment.

He is not, as commonly the case when this phrase is uttered, a SN or PO3.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fart Sandwiches posted:

From my experience it's more often chiefs and officers that behave this way.

In this case your anecdotal evidence checks out. I retract my previous accusation. Keelhaul all khakis.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think my favorite saluting story comes from a friend visiting his brother at Great Lakes for some ceremony.

After picking him up at the barracks he was walking back to his car when he noticed a sailor, well over a block away, standing at attention and saluting. He thought nothing of it and kept walking/talking with his brother. After several seconds of this he noticed that the sailor was still standing at attention and saluting. He commented to his brother, who told him that he was very likely saluting him, still well over a block away. So he hesitantly returned the salute, wherein the sailor then dropped his salute and continued on, presumably to salute and confuse the poo poo out of another officer from really loving far away.

In general I absolutely hate missing salutes but goddamn there is a lot of saluting in any given day.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

He could have just ignored the dumbass.

Well yeah, but he did it because the (probably slightly terrified) recruit didn't deserve to just stand there like an idiot while he walked all the way up to him.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

buttplug posted:

Some foreign militaries are weird like this. The Koreans will salute from across the street (and they give a verbal greeting whenever they salute)...like 35 paces way. It's off the chain stupid.

They also used to irritate the piss out of me because they'd divert their attention in the middle of a conversation with a more senior US officer to salute a more junior ROK officer. REALLY loving irritating when you're trying to talk to some PFC translator and he cuts you off mid-sentence to salute some loving ROK butterbar.

That may be, but that PFC gonna get beat if he doesn't.

Had a GMSN come back to me when I was standing OOD IP ghost white and asked me never to send him over to the ROK ship again. When I asked why, it was because he had witnessed an ROK officer batoning the poo poo out of a sailor on the arms for some minor infraction.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 18, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In case it ever got lost, I just want to say gently caress ISIS.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I actually just submitted my resignation. If you want my packet to just cut/paste let me know.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 23, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Ever gone free diving? If you have, just do that.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I mean, generally we find places to sit or lean back on for a bit, but I can't imagine being alert on a mid or rev watch with a chair. If I was a CO I'd be loving terrified of my bridge team being seated on those watches in tight maneuvering environments. Besides, you'd be surprised at what you miss when you're not up and about. You'd probably be surprised at how much poo poo you catch last minute before making a turn, simply by walking out to the bridge wing and double checking.

LCS is a little different though, it does have a wide view and no bridge wing, is smaller and more maneuverable than even DDGs and CGs.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I mean...

I play Warhammer. So... :orks101:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

vulturesrow posted:

Having to wear NWUs on the regular now really blows.

Our office is in a building-wide SCIF and it's the only office from our command in the entire area of the base. So unless we have to go anywhere, have anyone come by us, or do something official I usually just come in and stay in civvies.

These last two weeks I've been in DC. NWU's are bullshit.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
As someone who travels quite frequently on the job, all I have to say is that the government credit card scares the ever living poo poo out of me and I try to avoid using it whenever I can.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

germskr posted:

It's so easy in DTS to just put "AUTH" and bypass all the flagged items, it's scary. The best part is when someone in admin stops writing their own NAM to come by 6 months later and ask if you have receipts. I'm all for saving receipts but once it goes through DTS and gets signed and stamped PAID, am I really expected to keep it all?

You're supposed to upload receipts into DTS when you make your voucher. It goes under Substantiating Records or something like that on the Expenses tab. That said, if it makes it through the approval chain then I have no idea - I keep nothing after it's been approved.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

She is like tricare fat now.

Using this.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
MCM: It's like the Tin Can Navy but wood and it's 2015.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Applewhite posted:

Finally got around to watching the first EP of TNT's The Last Ship.

A less accurate portrayal of SWO life than Battleship.

As a previous Pearl Harbor sailor, my favorite part of Battleship is the old crusty captain ordering "All Ahead Flank" as the break the mooring chains.The thought of the Missouri blasting out of the harbor channel at 30+ never fails to put a smile on my face.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Surprisingly, the draft of the BB isn't significantly different than the CG or DDG, however, yes. Also there are multiple turns including a fairly large one right out of the basin itself which a ship at flank would be hard pressed to maintain due to shallow-water drag.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 23, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think the idea that you can't identify a problem without offering a solution is a stupid one and I find it prevalent in the Navy, where people who are most often in the position to identify a problem are rarely in a position to fix it.

Also, 6-8 months to go :woop:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just remember, being a good [sailor/officer] is like being a good whore. The better you are the more you get hosed.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah I liked that one. Truth from the system/machine's perspective. But what can we say? It's like on one hand we're replaceable cogs in a giant system and don't matter but at the same time if there really is a cultural problem where majority of the people you want in are leaving then the system will end up hurting itself.

Well, yes and no. Is everyone replacable? Yes, absolutely. That doesn't make it smart, desirable, or even functional.

For instance, I hold 6 AQD's related to TLAM. I'm currently the only one in the Navy to have all six. When I get out in 6-8 months that will mostly be lost to the Navy (possible use in reserves) and while they can certainly replace me, that means that:
a) The Navy is not retaining this kind of in depth training and experience for eventual O5/O6 positions within the system
b) There is no horizontal growth (a one for one replacement means that the Navy only ever has one).

Meanwhile, all of this training costs in money and time, and the experience will never be recovered.

So yes, individually it's not in issue but within the larger system it is a big problem.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 26, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
May Navy Thread: In the end we all want the same thing; to GTFO

Or, as my standyby goes

May Navy Thread: It's like being a whore - the better you are the more you get hosed.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Booblord Zagats posted:

Technically the lowest ASVAB score in the Navy is Marine

Analogical posted:

Thread title

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Norfolk is not bad. Its Virginia that sucks poo poo.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

Any comment on Ghent area? Looking to live there.

I live there currently and it's great. Great bars/pubs, not too far a walk from downtown. In my building, a 5 minute walk takes me to a brewery, a winery, multiple ethnic food places, and multiple great bars. I regularly walk downtown to the Norva (concert venue).

Depending on your time frame I can recommend an apartment

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Easy, pour it in your mouth, suck some milk, repeat. Efficient!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah but they have pins now so you know they're super serial

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Leadership is lying to those you lead.

:chiefsay:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

Can anyone explain to me why the Navy has laser guns, 3D phased array radar systems, real-time tactical data links etc. but all our cruise missiles are subsonic 70s era things?

Oh man. I literally discuss these things every day. Well, along with TLAM anyway.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just hate the stupid quotes people throw in their signatures. They're just so deep.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm half way through and this is the basically the best thing that I've read during my career.

E: If half of what is in there comes to pass, it'll be a wild success for the Navy. Holy poo poo.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 13, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Bring on the beards and hands-in-pockets goddamnit.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm just happy to see actual progress in personnel policy.

That said January is my SELRES date so... :boom:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Dont have my EOOW... Currently on a flight to Naples in the service of my duties in like the greatest job that a SWO could do.

gently caress engineering

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Decided to finally watch Carrier and holy poo poo is the intro song bad.

"A world away from you, miles away from yooooooooooou"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Not sure what SDGO STRIKE is... and I've never been a PCU but I hear mixed things. Sasebo is pretty cool but I'm not sure I'd want to live there, especially to be on a MCM but if you think it's something you'd like then go for it!

Depending on what that SDGO STRIKE is, that'd be my number one choice (but then again I'm a TLAM Officer so....)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Anita Dickinme posted:

How do you die if you fall off a carrier? I'm not doubting you die, I just want to know how. Like is it high enough that the impact on the water kill you because that doesn't seem likely, or do you just get sucked under the ship and drown? I'm asking for a friend.

Or are people just retarded enough to think it'll kill them?

The flight deck is almost 90 feet above the water. Saltwater get's preeeeeetty hard at those heights.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Don't get out after your second sea tour unless you have something lined up. Shore tour is generally awesome and it's good money (and free money if you're an academy or ROTC grad), do that for as long as possible then GTFO.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

Did they start letting non-SWOCP contract signers get good shore tours recently? When my sea tour was ending, all the shore duty available sucked unless I would sign on for DH afterwards. Like, "you're going to spend all your time at sea with ATG but no sea pay and it counts as a shore tour" suck.

While the best I think are limited by the sign-on bonus, there are still great billets on the slates (I had a few that I would have liked). I lucked out and probably got one of the best billets possible that I never imagined based on my first CO's recommendation and because I personally knew my detailer.

Still, even if you get something as lovely as a watch floor staff O, it's essentially a higher than average paycheck for a pretty standard work week with the added bonus of earning a free education whenever you're ready. The only real alternative to that is if you think you can get started in a career earlier or heading back to grad school now because you already have a way to pay for it. That said, the skills/lessons I've learned in a staff position have been extremely useful and I think will give me an advantage over my peers who are largely straight out of undergrad or, more likely, coming out of a horizontal growth position.

Boon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

Thanks for this input.

Due to my prior E time I'm eligible for 90% Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. If I end up doing shore duty that will put me at 10 years active, which would almost make me go "gently caress it let's just hit 20." Plus I will be like 32, so delaying starting civilian life or grad school just for the sake of having a paycheck for 2 years doesn't appeal to me. So it's either all in or get out right away.

I know this is very peculiar to my situation, but still worth considering what that delay for next career/school/job is for people considering doing shore duty vs. getting out. The prevailing wisdom is "do shore duty free buck$$$" but still good to weigh options I think.

Well, you're right, your situation is unique. I'll be 31 when I graduate from business school - which is a perfect time (perhaps slightly late) for switching career paths. Waiting until mid-30's to start is going to eat into your lifetime earnings.

I think in your case it's wise to get out. What you'll need to consider is what is important to you, if financial security (a good job) is up there, then what you'll want to consider is what career you'll be transitioning into, what the earning potentials are, and where you'll start out, how fast you'll advance, and how your skillset benefits you (and disadvantages you). If you know career Navy is not for you, then you'll be fairly free to choose your path. If career Navy is still an option to you, you'll want to map expected civilian earnings against known military earnings and compare that to your other desires in life (family stability, relative freedom in personal choices, etc...)

Understand that grad schools, especially business schools, or employers will offer a premium for your management and leadership experience which will carry you relatively far. My resume has a lot of things which really mean nothing to an employer on it (Training Officer? Force Protection Officer? Strike Officer? TLAM Officer?). However, those credentials are impressive when you break down the number of people supervised, the scale of programs managed, the processes overseen, the relative vertical growth in responsibility, or the time interacting with senior officers, especially when compared to people whose major advantage is that they've worked in the industry you're looking to enter into. That said, you still need to do your due diligence and prepare (learn about an industry/school, prepare for interviews, network, etc...)

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 24, 2015

• Locked thread