Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sir Lucius posted:

Match violence with violence, match words with words. The poo poo kid should be punched for jumping all over peoples' backs. If he's just talking poo poo you can just say something mean. In fact, people don't kill themselves over losing a fight, but if you can make them feel worthless enough with something you say they sometimes do. Did you know words really can hurt?

The other kid hit hers first. He was saying the slurs and threw the first punch. Her kid is in trouble because his response was beating the poo poo out of the little bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In a group situation, we is ok. Saying it to someone one on one when you're not actually helping with anything is lovely.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: at all of this

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You should passively aggressively assault him about it. Put up posters with diagrams on every bulletin board he walks past every day. Do poo poo to subtly gently caress with him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The first two are what's important.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

It took two LTs.

They probably had half a dozen JGs below them to actually collect the documents.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also, if there's a group of officers just hold the salute until you're past them. You don't have to raise and drop your arm for each of them. However, unless they're in formation, each of them is supposed to return the salute.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LowVhCfLm68

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sir Lucius posted:

Well gently caress. I just got an EP. Guess it's time to study for advancement exams and be the spite of all my peers.

congrats.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

IIRC, you have to finish out your current set of orders.

There are minimum time on station requirements. If you take orders to shore duty, you have two years minimum and one year for sea duty. If you're obligation ends after you're current tour is supposed to, you'll just stay on station until you're done.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

No poo poo? Dang some LCS was in port a few weeks back but nobody said we could do that.
I guess we aren't expected to take an interest in cool poo poo.

You're an old man. You're the only one that cares.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Analogical posted:

Been rollercoastering with the detailer/CCs the past three weeks, not helping that my year group is 126% over-manned for my NEC, I don't qualify for conversion to another language or a DIRSUP billet, and my options were:

JSOC
Re-enlist CTI
Crossrate CTN
Blue to Green

What kills me is the JSOC programs that take 35Ps and 1N3s, but won't take a CTI. None of them know the reason for that either and were surprised when I mentioned it. Two of them were really interested in me because of my training/instructor record but weren't able to take me unless I was a CTN for what I'm good at. The Chief from TIO more or less told me to gently caress myself slowly from behind even though I'm an instructor in classes his personnel have to fly to us to take on a regular basis.

Command pushed me to go for CTN, since that's what they basically made me train into anyway sans operations, but the DoD won't pay for any of my certs like Sec+, CCNA or CEH so it's coming out of my pocket to possibly pass, I'm spending 600 this month alone on them. The CTNCM tech advisor said they aren't taking E5 crossrates from any year group but 2009 and 2008 unless I can convince him over email that I know something about cybersecurity and show him some certificates to back it up. So, he said to email once I get CCNA.

According to my CC, my options are CTM or get out (For jobs that retain use of a TS and my work experience, arguably my best asset). However, with terminal leave I'm not out until next November. I'm in my PRD window, but I'm also about to fail my last DLPT (You can fail 3 in a row) at which point I'm forced to reclass unless the CO lets me ride out my final 18 months as a CTI. They asked why I keep failing and I was like, I dunno man, I haven't used Arabic in three years and you have me doing this other thing.

I was going to re-enlist if I could go CTN, now I'm curious if I'll get sent to CTM until I'm out since it's only a 4 month school or if I'll stay where I am and gracefully fade away. My civilian chain finds it all pretty interesting since they didn't even know I was a linguist to begin with, though it does feel weird to essentially be told I'm getting fired. I wish I was an E4, the CTNs are swallowing up E4 crossrates but I had the misfortune to get promoted to the untouchable caste.

tl;dr whatever, at least I've got my post 9/11 and know contractors. I've got savings and it's not the end of the world to be pushed out.

I doubt sincerely they send you to a school even if you do cross rate. You won't satisfy the minimum time on station obligation to take any follow on orders. I don't think you go anywhere without an extension/re-enlistment. With that said, :frogout:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Howard Phillips posted:

Can you contact VA prior to getting out to determine exact Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility? This would help me a lot in planning so I'm not wasting a year waiting to "school up" after separation.

Are you an officer or enlisted? Have you served more than 36 months active service since 9/11/2001? If you're an O and they paid for your school, your 36 month counter doesn't begin until after your obligation is up (4-5 years typically).

If you're enlisted and have been longer than 3 years, you've got 100% so long as you get honorably discharged. Like dustynuts said, you can request your eligibility letter through ebenefits.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ignore the montgomery GI bill.

I'm not sure that 35 months enlisted will be enough for the post 9/11 at 100%, but I can't say for sure. USNA, iirc, has a 5 year obligation. The best I could figure is you'll need 5 years 1 month as an officer to get the full amount, but I am by no means certain of this.

If you don't already have an ebenefits account, go make one https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

EDIT: I say ignore the MGIB because it's nowhere near as useful as the post 9/11. You'll get your $1200 back after you've exhausted all your post 9/11 benefits.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 1, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah you gotta know the basics of ship driving at a minimum before you can really be in command of one. Although it is funny to think of pilots driving, it's a necessary evil.

Granted, I don't think any ever will actually ever do it much after qualifying, it isn't at all crazy for them to do it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I know a handful of goons or former goons that are all mostly normal off the internet. I don't know any fat goony spergs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He won't look the same. He's drat near 40 and wearing tennis shoes with his uniform. I figure that should be pretty easy to pick out amongst the greasy pimply faced teenagers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SNCOs are certainly treated a bit different, but not quite to the private treefort that the chiefs have built themselves.

Officer/Enlisted separations are a bit different story, but there should be some more fluidity between them. Ultimately, middle management does serve some purpose and shouldn't be abolished entirely.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PneumonicBook posted:

No kidding. Congratulations on making rank! Now drop at least a grand on a new uniform for reasons!

Well, its not like they don't get an allowance for that. It doesn't come out of their pocket at all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PneumonicBook posted:

Not according to literally every chief select I've talked to. Maybe they're lying though. :chiefsay:

They are. They get a special uniform allowance for all their poo poo.

Edit:

FY-2015 Navy Special Initial Clothing Allowance
Special Reason Male Female
Advancement to CPO $1,096.21 $927.50
Selection to OCS, ECP, or Seaman to Admiral Program $1,872.57 $2,002.47

For the new officers that's the last uniform allowance they'll ever get. The Chiefs still get their annual allowance as well.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 8, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The fundraisers all go into mess funds. You're providing alcohol for chief parties.

Also I think the difference in uniform allowances all comes down to the hat. Men have to buy a combo cover. Women just have to buy a khaki top and the anchor so they save at least $70 on that alone. Addtionally, their dress blues translate over but I'm sure the quality of the boot camp issued dress blues aren't at all what they expect the Chiefs to wear.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My only contribution to the mess was when a few of us poker players from the wardroom would go down there to play cards. The look on the XO's face when our CSO answered the door to the chief's mess was great. He really didn't give a poo poo, but advised that a chief should probably answer. I think one of the selects got chewed out for that in the end.

Anyways, there was a donation required to play so I pitched in. Then the CMC never actually paid out any of the winnings that the wardroom won and took off with about $350 of our money when he was air-lifted off the ship a couple days later. When we were lined up to pipe him off and he walked by to shake everyone's hands, he whispered in my ear "I still got your money" and left. gently caress that guy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oh yeah I've seen car washes, pizza sales, bake sales, burrito sales, and all sorts of poo poo. Bilking junior sailors for chief drinking money is a time honored tradition.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Speaking of bilking junior sailors for money, a former BMC that SPACE HOMOS and I know was kicked out of the mess because he was borrowing money from E4s and below in port calls so his wife wouldn't know what he was spending. Then he never paid them back and did everything he could to keep them from reporting. Luckily the BM1 there knew he was a piece of poo poo (he really was) and took care of it when it came to his attention.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SpaceJustice posted:

When I was a student at prototype in New York I pissed off a lot of the selectees by walking past their burger sale and buying a burger at the cafe instead. It was actually a little surprising how upset they got.

Because they have a ration of poo poo hailing down on them from the mess that they have to get as much as possible.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You can tell you're still new to the navy because you still give a gently caress if someone is in the room while you whack it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Arione posted:

usually hang out at M, pint & jigger, rum fire. nothing but ratchet hoes and walrus pussy.

That's your problem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

I was going to post these exact words last night but I was full of Tequila and had better things to do. Do those places require fedoras for entry or something? I don't remember ever stepping into any of them. I was either A) Too Wasted or B) Already getting laid from the other places I was at.

Rum Fire is a resort bar/club. Pint & Jigger is some attempt at a british pub, and I have no loving clue what M is, but it's probably another lovely club.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

Surprisingly, the draft of the BB isn't significantly different than the CG or DDG, however, yes. Also there are multiple turns including a fairly large one right out of the basin itself which a ship at flank would be hard pressed to maintain due to shallow-water drag.

The channel is short enough I don't think they'd ever get to actual flank speed in it, but yeah they would certainly squat and probably bottom out a few times at best.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

So apparently I'm promoting on Friday as opposed to in June like I thought.

Now you have to lord over all your year group that still has bars on their collars.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He's playing around on a wooden boat that's designed to blow up so the real ships don't get hurt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

At this point you should stick it out to 20, MML. You can go be a terminal O-5 at some joint command doing fuckall but sitting in an office to wrap it up. It's not like you need to go back to sea for command because you don't give a gently caress about admiral.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There was a cook on the ship with SPACE HOMOS and I. Guy would go on and on about his girlfriend. Turns out his girlfriend was just a hooker at a nearby brothel. To add insult to injury, he never actually hosed her and had just been loving her thighs. He was pissssssed when he learned what sex really was.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is the same guy that got a bunch of cranks and a couple cooks sent to mast as well. They had been playing the ball tapping game in the galley. He wanted to be involved. They convinced him that they would collectively give him $50 to let the biggest CS on the ship punch him squarely in the balls. He agrees, gets punched, and they all welch. He goes to doc and complains about a sore stomach and asked for Motrin. HM1 grilled him for a half hour before he finally spills the beans.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He was slow in the way Forrest Gump was slow. Good guy, but he was not remotely smart.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't want to get into ASVAB dick waving again, but CS requires the lowest score in the navy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

HAHAHAHA

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/04/27/navy-crusier-lake-erie-john-banigan-relieved-command-climate/26481093/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

No that's not the T-shirt commodore. That's just a former CO of mine when I was enlisted and he was kindof a dick to deal with when I was in Hawaii. He's part of the leadership team that caused multiple officers to mentally snap. One department head got removed from the ship after a breakdown. A former baby SWO I know got diagnosed with PTSD from dealing with him when he was XO waiting to fleet up. Just funny to me that he got sacked for having a toxic command.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That guy is currently at a post major command tour doing whatever senior O-6s do for the three to four years they wait to see if they get a star or retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thanks N4I!

• Locked thread