Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is it good
great
useful
saved my life
i'll save it for next time
View Results

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
sell all you're cars to buy 80s maseratis

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If you're under your car and notice an oil leak take a shop rag and just rub that poo poo all over the bottom of the engine until everything looks super shiny.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Impact your wheel studs on until it stops turning and thats what 95ft/lbs is.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Have two batteries and need a quick charge? Hold one battery upsidedown and touch the contacts together! This will instantly charge the battery!

Actual advice given to me by an Autozone employee

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

tuna posted:

Impact your wheel studs on until it stops turning and thats what 95ft/lbs is.

You can do the same thing with sump plugs.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ephphatha posted:

You can do the same thing with sump plugs.

Nah you really oughta follow the torque spec:

BAM: 50 ft-lb
BAM BAM: 75 ft-lb
BAM BAM BAM: 90 ft-lb

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Revving your engine to keep your car from rolling back on a hill at a stop reduces wear to the brakes.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Avoid speed bumps by driving up the middle of the road.
Suddenly swerving into the middle of the road is also an excellent way of promoting alertness in oncoming traffic.
Only sadness and pain can result from using half of the flashing orange light things.
Instead, just use the big red "I've Parked Here Bitches" button.
Halfords berry scented screenwash looks like ribena, smells like ribena, tastes like wookie piss. Not recommended.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Make sure when putting your wheels back on, that your lug nuts are slightly loose. This will prevent them from binding and make the wheel easier to get off next time!

This also applies to spark plugs and all brake parts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The best way to warm up a really cold engine is to immediately keep it reving at about 5K RPM after the cold start. You'll be ready to drive away in as little as a couple minutes minutes with warm air coming out of the heat vent.

Diesels, drop to about 4K RPM.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
busting loose the crank pully off subarus is easy by attaching a long breaker bar to the nut and cranking the engine over.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

busting loose the crank pully off subarus is easy by attaching a long breaker bar to the nut and cranking the engine over.

But how do you get it tight again? :confused:

ninja edit: of course just reverse the battery cables to get the starter to spin the other way, duh me!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't have children because it'll cut into your project car budget. While you can technically race children, it isn't nearly as fun as racing a car. Also, there are legal implications for trying to sell your project child after you're sick and done with it since it literally won't stop pissing and making GBS threads all over you.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Just trust the dealer.

"They made the car, they know what they're doing" - My mother.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
If you live in a condo and park outside plug your car in as soon as it dips below 60F. Instant heat as soon as you turn your car on.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

91 octane is a scam, fill 3/4 of your tank with 87, then fill the rest with water. Boom! Instant 93 octane gas. You're welcome, internet!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Phone posted:

Don't have children because it'll cut into your project car budget. While you can technically race children, it isn't nearly as fun as racing a car. Also, there are legal implications for trying to sell your project child after you're sick and done with it since it literally won't stop pissing and making GBS threads all over you.

This thread is only for funny "life hacks" that don't actually work.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Save money by never having a functional vehicle. Sure, you'll never get anywhere on time or be able to brag about how you "totally dusted this bro in a Civic, you shoulda been there", but with all the money you save on gas and insurance you might even be able to afford that big package of Top Ramen you've been eyeing at the Shop'n'Save.

Plus, everyone loves lawn art!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sandbagger SA posted:

This thread is only for funny "life hacks" that don't actually work.

Oh sorry, how's this: meet up with a curvy AI goonette?

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 2, 2015

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

The best way to warm up a really cold engine is to immediately keep it reving at about 5K RPM after the cold start. You'll be ready to drive away in as little as a couple minutes minutes with warm air coming out of the heat vent.

There's a really old guy who owns an early 80's XJ Cherokee near my office that does this. He's probably in his very late 70's and only moves the Jeep once a week for street cleaning. His process is that he shuffles to the car, probably floors the gas pedal because that's how his pappy taught him back before WW2, cranks the engine over, then holds the gas pedal to the floor for about a minute before finally just turning the car around and parking on the other side of the street. Somehow that thing still runs.

Not somehow, it's probably an AMC 4.0.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

BoostCreep posted:

Not somehow, it's probably an AMC 4.0.

If your AMC 4.0 runs out of oil in the desert, just top it off with sand and keep going

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Phone posted:

Oh sorry, how's this: meet up with a curvy AI goonette?

I have heard for many that this works out well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
When you run out of washer fluid, just fill the tank with soapy water or in a pinch, antifreeze.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Put Seafoam in all of your car's liquids once per year. Oil, gas, coolant, windshield washer, transmission, diff, brake fluid, the flat half-empty big gulp wedged between the seat and the make-car-smell-funny handle.

Also wash your car with a 50/50 blend of Seafoam and Amsoil.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Use aircraft remover to get rid of those tough stains on your paint. It's an automobile, not an aircraft so it'll be safe.

SAAB and Koenigsegg owners use caution, first test on an inconspicuous area.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Use aircraft remover to get rid of those tough stains on your paint. It's an automobile, not an aircraft so it'll be safe.

On a related note, if you are ever out driving and come across an airplane blocking the road, using airplane remover on it is the fastest and most economically safe way to clear the way.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

When you run out of washer fluid, just fill the tank with ... antifreeze.

:frog: Can you let it go already?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Sanitize your engine by adding bleach to your oil!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If a stop sign has a white border that means it's optional.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Rhyno posted:

*stoptional

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Once the check engine light comes on for one code it doesn't get any brighter for more codes so just leave your gas cap off and don't worry about it

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Never buy a motorcycle or you'll feel guilty when you drive the car to work every day.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Rhyno posted:

Stop signs with white fridge are subject to admiralty law and are not enforceable.

:tinfoil:

Bajaha posted:

*stoptional

HAHA - I thought I was the only one who said that.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
The best way to get your plastic light lenses, instrument cluster covers, and dash displays to really shine is to clean them with pure acetone.

Sandbagger SA posted:

Stop signs with white fridge are subject to admiralty law and are not enforceable.

:tinfoil:

Freemen on the Land Rover.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Buy your next used car at night sight unseen so then you have an excuse for when your friends laugh at the pile of garbage you stand up for.

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

have sex with men that way you wont have kids

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Drive with your high-beams on during the day to maximize your visibility to other people.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

It's good to have your alignment off a bit, so that if the person in front of you slams on their brakes you just need to to take your hands off the wheel to avoid the collision.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you live in the rust belt, cover your entire car with WD40 twice a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

If you live in the north, cover your entire car with WD40 twice a week.

get it right. loosen the valve cover bolts.

• Locked thread