Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is it good
great
useful
saved my life
i'll save it for next time
View Results

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Some of y'all seem a little confused, I'm seeing actually useful info posted in this thread. :kiddo:

Selling a car but the brake rotors are looking a little rough? Make them look good as new with a few coats of metallic silver spray paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Or just put it on 4 jack stands and spin up the driveline and wirewheel the rotors

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
If you buy a car for $500 and you put $2500 in repairs into it, it is now worth $3000. You should also make sure you keep the itemized receipts as they will validate your price when you make your craigslist post.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sandbagger SA posted:

If you buy a car for $500 and you put $2500 in repairs into it, it is now worth $3000. You should also make sure you keep the itemized receipts as they will validate your price when you make your craigslist post.

Get real man.

"Invest" $2500 into it.

:v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Instead of buying a B5 Audi just take a pineapple and affix it to the motor from a food processor, leaves pointing up. Insert the pineapple into your anus, leaves first, and put the food processor on liquify. It will be a lot more fun than owning a B5, especially if it has a 1.8 liter turbo engine.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 244 days!)

Want to make money? Buy a car from a company that no longer exists!

As proven time and time again: Immediately after the company fails: The cars, parts, and services cut their rates to keep their existing customers, and gain new ones.

You can make real bank by purchasing one of these new last-of generational cars, and then storing it for several years without paying any attention to it. The belts, hoses, and fluids will still be OEM, which not only increases their worth, but also provides for a true concourse experience.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Fart Pipe posted:

Instead of buying a B5 Audi just take a pineapple and affix it to the motor from a food processor, leaves pointing up. Insert the pineapple into your anus, leaves first, and put the food processor on liquify. It will be a lot more fun than owning a B5, especially if it has a 1.8 liter turbo engine.

I used to own a B5 A4 1.8T Quattro Sport.

Even as a VW-Audi mechanic it had so many problems i just sold it to someone who didn't know better. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

hahahahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAH

You're the greatest.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Mooseykins posted:

I used to own a B5 A4 1.8T Quattro Sport.

Even as a VW-Audi mechanic it had so many problems i just sold it to someone who didn't know better. :v:

I had a 97 and it was the biggest piece of poo poo ever. Got it with 58k on it an parted it out at 65k. That was like 10 years ago and I still hate that loving car.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Fart Pipe posted:

I had a 97 and it was the biggest piece of poo poo ever. Got it with 58k on it an parted it out at 65k. That was like 10 years ago and I still hate that loving car.

Mine was a 2000 and was cactus green. It was actually kinda cool and quite a nice car and i always wanted a B5 Quattro. It just had so many problems, it was a stupid impulse purchase, but for £500 you can't go too wrong. I fixed it a bit, bought a safety inspection and sold it for £800 to someone who wanted to turn it into a trackday car.

After i bought it and got the logbook through, i found out it had 12 previous owners. :stare:

I will own another B5 Quattro. But probably and S4 next.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I owned a salvage titled B5 A4.

Not a wise decision.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Rectal Placenta posted:

I owned a salvage titled B5 A4.

Not a wise decision.

Mine was a "spares or repair" eBay special. :v:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Mooseykins posted:

Mine was a "spares or repair" eBay special. :v:

So was/is my Peugeot but the wretched thing still works.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My red XJ was a "clean title abandoned project" with blown airbags (replacements sitting in back seat), no carpet, no rear driveshaft, 3 different colors of body panels from the previous generation on the front, a replacement front inner fender wall from an earlier generation welded in, and turned out to have a blown head gasket, a bad radiator, junk upstream O2 sensor, saggy leaf springs, a nonfunctioning fuel level sender, junk wheel bearings, junk brakes, rotten brake lines, a junk track bar, a blown heater core, and a multitude of corroded wiring harness issues.

After fighting with all that poo poo and 5-speed swapping it I found out it was VIN swapped, too.

Lifehack: don't give up, you've almost built a new vehicle! I think I put 3500 or 4 grand into that toilet of a doubly cursed sack of garbage before giving up due to the paperwork issues.

I replaced it with a Subaru and it will never see the road again. Stripping everything I put on it (so everything, basically) and the chassis is getting crushed. I guess the two sets of VINs kinda explains the way it hosed me twice as hard as a jeep ever has. I could probably patch it together and sell it on CL, but first of all I don't want that thing out there because it turns out the seller hopscotched both vehicles (so I'd likely take the blame if it was discovered) and also I don't want to pass this kind of automotive luck on to anyone else. Not even my worst enemy deserves this pile of problems. Better to voluntarily put the piece of poo poo down and make sure it dies for good.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
AI life hack: Live in a state where the DMV employees don't give a poo poo. I just updated my car's registration from Ohio to Illinois, and the out-of-state inspection for the new title consisted solely of a glance from their counter out to the parking lot.

"Yup, sure looks like a grey 4-door out there."

E: True hack, move to a zip code that doesn't require emissions testing :getin:

NoWake fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 12, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Tired of all of the time you waste rushing in and out of the house to get things you forgot before running to work? Sleep in your car with all your needful things!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
True, manufacturers need to beat the competition and rush panel vans and wagons again to the market for the expected future poors that can't afford housing.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I was pricing out how much the new Ford transit would cost to live in yesterday...

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Voltage posted:

I was pricing out how much the new Ford transit would cost to live in yesterday...

Buy used. You can use the difference on outfitting it with shag carpeting and "musk" incense.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

West SAAB Story posted:

Buy "musk" incense.

Pfft, look at this sucker who actually pays for musk scent.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bajaha posted:

Pfft, look at this sucker who actually pays for musk scent.

Used Transits always come with musk scent.

And a strange stain on the upholstery that you keep telling yourself is coffee and not the blood of a missing child.

Batts
Apr 4, 2009
Tired of not having the right sized wrench? Why waste money on a proper kit when you can just get an adjustable wrench at walmart? They'll do the job, plus double as a hammer.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Batts posted:

Tired of not having the right sized wrench? Why waste money on a proper kit when you can just get an adjustable wrench at walmart? They'll do the job, plus double as a hammer.

Idiot Wrench®

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

Idiot Wrench®

Shifting spanner not undoing all your nuts and bolts? That's because they have smooth faces that slide on over the fastener head. If you use vise grips you get the superior gripping ability of multiple sharp teeth plus the ability to bite into the heads hard. Undoing them is a sure bet with all that new surface area for turning!

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Shifting spanner not undoing all your nuts and bolts? That's because they have smooth faces that slide on over the fastener head. If you use vise grips you get the superior gripping ability of multiple sharp teeth plus the ability to bite into the heads hard. Undoing them is a sure bet with all that new surface area for turning!

No, see what a lot of people don't understand is that the only part of the box wrench that actually engages is the bits right on the point. Which means that there is absolutely no reason to not use a slightly-larger box wrench on torqued/locktighted/rusted in fasteners.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

IPCRESS posted:

No, see what a lot of people don't understand is that the only part of the box wrench that actually engages is the bits right on the point. Which means that there is absolutely no reason to not use a slightly-larger box wrench on torqued/locktighted/rusted in fasteners.

The all-a-rounder(tm) wrenchset works perfectly for this issue. You can find them at Sears, Harbor Freight, and at many flea markets throughout the world.

Also, don't waste your time and money on some pussy little purple gloves and various solvents. Just use gas, and your hands- like a man.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Your all-wheel drive car not only accelerates better, but corners and brakes better too, thanks to your superior taste in drive trains. Even if you're driving on corded summer tires, it's important to drive 20-50mph faster than the surrounding traffic as soon as it rains and especially during snow or ice storms.

Stardotstar fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 13, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
When you change the oil on your motorcycle, make sure you get distracted and don't torque down the drain bolt or the filter bolt. The resulting torrent of oil gives an amazing DIY finish to your driveway!

gently caress my life, guess I'm going to buy kitty litter.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

When you change the oil on your motorcycle, make sure you get distracted and don't torque down the drain bolt or the filter bolt. The resulting torrent of oil gives an amazing DIY finish to your driveway!

gently caress my life, guess I'm going to buy kitty litter.

Bonus points for forgetting to torque it down, only to come off later covering the bike/tires in oil.

this also works for coil caps.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

Bonus points for forgetting to torque it down, only to come off later covering the bike/tires in oil.

this also works for coil caps.

It held fine, until I started the bike and let it idle for a few min. Shut it down, and it was like a cow pissing on a flat rock.

Wife is not going to be amused when she gets home, but gently caress it. :boom:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I once forgot to screw the fill cap on the fzr.

I was reminded by the time I made it to the shop 20 miles away. It was at night so I didnt notice it.

Even my friends volvo was covered in oil.

E: old motor was so loving shot, it would burn a quart every 100miles. and when you stabbed the throttle it would smoke like a 80s diesel.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh, that reminds me of another good one.

Remember to not bother checking your carbs. When a float sticks and it starts puking gasoline onto your leg mid turn onto the interstate, just take it as a chance to learn some mad tyte moto drift skills.

Hadn't ridden the bike in a couple weeks, and one of the floats stuck. Filled up with gas, and basically as soon as I left the station it just started pouring gas everywhere. Hitting it with a screwdriver eliminated the issue.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Batts posted:

Also widely referred to as the "All/16ths" wrench.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
And the real-life edition of that AI lifehack:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

You joke, but that thing is magic.

Edit: good magic. Not evil magic.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

The all-a-rounder(tm) wrenchset works perfectly for this issue. You can find them at Sears, Harbor Freight, and at many flea markets throughout the world.

Also, don't waste your time and money on some pussy little purple gloves and various solvents. Just use gas, and your hands- like a man.

Pfft a real man would use diesel and then light the part on fire to burn the extra grease off.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

SouthsideSaint posted:

Pfft a real man would use diesel and then light the part on fire to burn the extra grease off.

Lol if you actually clean parts. poo poo's just gonna get dirty again. All you really have to do is take the old gasket off (belt sanders and 3" angle grinders are great for this if they're really stuck), empty a tube of orange RTV on it and throw it back together.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

wallaka posted:

You joke, but that thing is magic.

Edit: good magic. Not evil magic.

Oh I am not joking. I use mine instead of flare wrenches sometimes. It usually works better. :stare:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

kastein posted:

Oh I am not joking. I use mine instead of flare wrenches sometimes. It usually works better. :stare:

I did 15 yrs in HVAC, so hardly anything except flares, used them or a shifter/crescent/adjustable spanner/wrench every day for flare joins. For compressor mounting or other bolts I used spanners and sockets. But I never did use a flare spanner for a flare nut. I did get a torque wrench and a OPEN end crows foot socket for torquing flares, but never ever used a flare spanner (even though I bought some). Most of the time they were too big or long to fit in there, the other times well you weren't carrying a full toolbox up into ceiling space or onto a roof (fuckit, you're there, use one of the shifters you carry in your small toolbag)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
If you're looking to buy something on a forum or craigslist, photograph the money that you'll be using to buy said item with. The seller may have never seen money before. It can also clear up things if there is confusion over whether "cash" means US dollars, bitcoins, reproduction confederate paper money or Krugerrands.

D C posted:

Also widely referred to as the "All/16ths" wrench.

I've never heard this before, but I'm going to start using it.

• Locked thread