Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

bobvonunheil posted:

I'm up for playing any of the following games, I need to get some experience with them before I write about them :sweatdrop:

Tash Kalar
Through the Ages
Twilight Struggle

I'm in the UK and can usually do evenings, real time or turn based on BGA or with that wargame app for Twilight Struggle in the OP (does that one work properly? haven't tried it).

I play all those games and I'm also in the UK so we should be able to work something out. I used to play Twilight with a goon from the board game thread, we had about 5 good games then he got quite busy and I never really saw him post again. We played that game on VASSAL and the others on BGA. I actually think he may have been the one to get me into Tash Kalar by introducing it to Mr on VASSAL, before BGA implemented it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

bobvonunheil posted:

I'm up for playing any of the following games, I need to get some experience with them before I write about them :sweatdrop:

Tash Kalar
Through the Ages
Twilight Struggle

I'm in the UK and can usually do evenings, real time or turn based on BGA or with that wargame app for Twilight Struggle in the OP (does that one work properly? haven't tried it).

Play Through the Ages on Boardgaming Online, it's the best implementation I've seen.

Happy to play Tash Kalar any time, and TtA if I have time.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I find it hard to believe there is a better online implementation of Through the Ages than on BGA, although I haven't played the alternative. It just does everything exactly as you'd want, and is on a site with other games I would play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The BGA version feels kinda faffy to me, and I really like the fact that BGO in particular lets you see your opponents' civil hands (which isn't expressly or practically hidden info) which is valuable when you've got multiple and/or weeks-long games going, because otherwise you're not playing a tactical game, you're just playing a test of memory.

But then, I adored playing Dominion on Iso without the pictures; I like the mechanics of games much more than the trappings of them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'll be up on BGA for an hour or so if anyone wants to play Tash Kalar

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Well, I'm coming on now. Username Moominov, I did say I'd teach some Tzolkin but I'm happy with Tash or whatever. Be good to get some friends list going for future propositioning.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Made a 2p Tzolkin game. Sorry I missed you earlier, was eating food.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

We're coming to the end of the current Terra Mystica game so if anyone wants to get in on the next one, now would be a good time to post.

Ideally I'd like to get a group that's all more or less GMT so that I'm not holding everyone up. I'd also like to play with expansion races.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Im up for it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Anyone up for Fire in the Lake right now?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
If FitL is still a possibility for this weekend, when did you have in mind? I would prefer Sunday during the day.

TwoShedsJackson
Sep 12, 2000

Get your own Arts Programme, you fairy!!
Looking to try Twilight Struggle on Vassal - familiar with Vassal and very familiar with TS (300+ games played) - have played it on Wargameroom and want to try Vassal but not bothered trying with some randomer from the Vassal lobby. Am in GMT time zone, should be on after 7 p.m. this evening.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

thespaceinvader posted:

The BGA version feels kinda faffy to me, and I really like the fact that BGO in particular lets you see your opponents' civil hands (which isn't expressly or practically hidden info) which is valuable when you've got multiple and/or weeks-long games going, because otherwise you're not playing a tactical game, you're just playing a test of memory.

But then, I adored playing Dominion on Iso without the pictures; I like the mechanics of games much more than the trappings of them.

The BGA version still has a hideous bug with pacts that can prevent a game from finishing I think. I should try and figure out the BGO interface again I didn't like it the first time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'll happily run a teaching game on BGO over one weekend if people are interested.

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o

Lichtenstein posted:

Someone could probably say a few words about what's available on the tabletop simulator?

I don't think anyone answered you so I will give it a shot. Here is a pastebin to the games I am subscribed to. Some notable ones for being new are XCOM and Roll for the galaxy. The basic answer is: any game you can think of minus Agricola, Caverna, Elder Sign, Munchkin, and a couple other big names. Publishers haven't shut down much yet.

The interface is very rough (the "game" is still in Early Access), but it has allowed me to try out a lot of games before purchasing. If a game has another implementation I would suggest playing it elsewhere, but right now it probably has the biggest collection of games. I've even personally made Keyflower and King's forge.

It's also on sale right now, and if you get it in a 4 pack it'd only be ~$8 per copy! Maybe if enough people have it/purchase it we could start a steam group.

alathar fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 16, 2015

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

E: Posted this in the wrong thread.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Re: Terra Mystica

IMF
A barebones text based version of Terra Mystica that includes expansions and chat function. It receives continual support, supports game statistics, and even has rankings of races and players. Easy to use drop down menus dictate actions and eligible map spaces are highlighted when selectable. The planning function is also hugely useful and easy to use once the game language is known. A full transcript of the game is available on page.

Re: ticket to ride android app

A very well polished app that runs smoother than most other boardgame apps. Touch interface is easy to use, and it's got "choo choo" sound effects. What's not to love?

Hive is also available on android, but it's basically just a virtual tabletop on which to play.

A San Juan port called Condado is available, but it's really lo-rez.

Also talisman :ssh:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Does anyone have time to run me through a step-by-step of how to not suck at Tzolk'in? I'm getting a little obsessed by this game and I just cannot get the rhythm of it right at the moment. It's really good, there's clearly a real skill to it, but I just keep finding myself mired in placing single dudes for free because I have no money, pretty much regardless of what strategy I try. Even when I win I get like, 60s and 70s when most of the guys kicking my rear end are getting 100+. I'll pay you in trade by doing the same for TTA on BGO. Halp.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Does anyone have time to run me through a step-by-step of how to not suck at Tzolk'in? I'm getting a little obsessed by this game and I just cannot get the rhythm of it right at the moment. It's really good, there's clearly a real skill to it, but I just keep finding myself mired in placing single dudes for free because I have no money, pretty much regardless of what strategy I try. Even when I win I get like, 60s and 70s when most of the guys kicking my rear end are getting 100+. I'll pay you in trade by doing the same for TTA on BGO. Halp.

I'm not great at Tzolk'in, but I think I can help you get the rhythm of it. Bug me on IRC sometime.

In other news, here's a web implementation of Brass. Also has a variant map based on Northern France!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I'm not great at Tzolk'in, but I think I can help you get the rhythm of it. Bug me on IRC sometime.

In other news, here's a web implementation of Brass. Also has a variant map based on Northern France!

Added, thanks - and I'll maybe bother you about it sometime tomorrow.

I realy like the game, and it's the good kind of frustrating at the moment, but (as with Dungeon Lords online) the BAJ implementation is starting to become the bad kind of frustrating because of the lack of an undo button for those stupid mistakes. No backsies is really annoying in a game like this where, in person, you could realise at the end of your turn that you needed to beg or pull a dude for one corn at the start to to make your whole 5-dude chain work properly, only to watch it grind to a crunching halt 2 dudes in when you're a corn short, and end lamelyand most groups would be fine with you deciding to retroactively beg for corn. But BAJ, even if you've not decided anything yet... the minute you get past deciding to pick a dude up, you're hosed. I've probably messed up more times by not being able to play through my turn and revise my mistakes, than I have by actually messing up the strategy.

It's a great game, but like so many CGE games there's so much to go wrong in it, even when you know the strategy..

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Added, thanks - and I'll maybe bother you about it sometime tomorrow.

I realy like the game, and it's the good kind of frustrating at the moment, but (as with Dungeon Lords online) the BAJ implementation is starting to become the bad kind of frustrating because of the lack of an undo button for those stupid mistakes. No backsies is really annoying in a game like this where, in person, you could realise at the end of your turn that you needed to beg or pull a dude for one corn at the start to to make your whole 5-dude chain work properly, only to watch it grind to a crunching halt 2 dudes in when you're a corn short, and end lamelyand most groups would be fine with you deciding to retroactively beg for corn. But BAJ, even if you've not decided anything yet... the minute you get past deciding to pick a dude up, you're hosed. I've probably messed up more times by not being able to play through my turn and revise my mistakes, than I have by actually messing up the strategy.

It's a great game, but like so many CGE games there's so much to go wrong in it, even when you know the strategy..

I seem to remember BAJ having an undo button, though it's been a while. I don't think the BGA implementation has one.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

E: pointless post

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 21, 2015

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

I have a question for Carcassonne iOS users. Has anyone else had the app say "Carcassonne" in a small, faint voice? I was playing it with my fiance tonight, and I dropped my phone into my lap. We both heard a man's voice say "Carcassonne." We tried again and again to repeat it; it only happened one other time, when I dropped the phone into my lap.

Are we crazy? Does anyone know what's happening?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Prairie Bus posted:

I have a question for Carcassonne iOS users. Has anyone else had the app say "Carcassonne" in a small, faint voice? I was playing it with my fiance tonight, and I dropped my phone into my lap. We both heard a man's voice say "Carcassonne." We tried again and again to repeat it; it only happened one other time, when I dropped the phone into my lap.

Are we crazy? Does anyone know what's happening?

You would appear to be living in a creepypasta. I'm sorry you had to find out like this.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I seem to remember BAJ having an undo button, though it's been a while. I don't think the BGA implementation has one.

BAJ does. I meant BGA. It was late. The live version doesn't have an undo, the PBEM one does.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Is anything happening with that Fire in the Lake game?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tomorrow I should be up for it during evening GMT.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

You would appear to be living in a creepypasta. I'm sorry you had to find out like this.

Haha. We tried it some more and eventually got it to work fairly consistently. When you're playing Carcassonne on an iPhone 6 and you quickly bring the phone from a vertical position to a lower horizontal position (it may have to land on something), the app will say "Carcassonne." We tried it with an iPad and it didn't work. It's a charming, if bizarre, feature.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Tekopo posted:

Tomorrow I should be up for it during evening GMT.

Do you have any rough times in mind? Duration?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

7-8 GMT, playing as long as we can.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I would be up to that if there's a slot but I haven't played a coin before

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I may or may not be in depending on homework situation.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I'm not sure if I'll be around at that time. If there's a chance of anything same time Monday evening I'm up for that. O
therwise I may not be able to make it. How are we meeting up and coordinating?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I figure #boardgoons is the best place?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
If people would like, I can arrange another FITL game for Monday evening. I'd try to start around 2300-2400 GMT (I'm in EST). Bug me in #boardgoons on synirc or on Steam (same username as here).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah I won't be able to do tonight I've had to work today and have too much still left to do

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm up for something now if people are as well. Drop in #boardgoons now if interested.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
If anyone's up for a game (of FITL or otherwise) I'll be in #boardgoons for the rest of the evening.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

E: found a game, no worries.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Taran_Wanderer posted:

If anyone's up for a game (of FITL or otherwise) I'll be in #boardgoons for the rest of the evening.
Too late for me :(

• Locked thread