Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Would it even be possible/legal to deny a referendum vote to UK-resident citizens of other EU countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm on a zero hours contract with an NHS clerical bank, and I get holiday pay as a fixed percentage addition to my regular pay regardless of when or whether I arrange to not work. So if I worked any number of hours all year and took the same amount of holiday as a permanent staff member in the same band working the same hours, I'd earn the same as them.

e/ don't get overtime or unsocial hours though

I have what I think is probably a really good zero hours contract, the nature of the work somewhat demands it doing merchandising as we have lots of occasional jobs, but we get the odd opportunity for unsocial/overtime hours (which once lead to me logging 25 hours work in one day) and I get holidays as a percentage of my hours worked, which i also get paid for if I don't take them.

I'd like more hours but the pay rate is honestly a bit better than it is on paper given all opportunities for extra pay.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Would it even be possible/legal to deny a referendum vote to UK-resident citizens of other EU countries?

I was under the impression that referendums can be denied or opened to anyone the government feels like, given that the government doesn't have to promise to act on them, they can just give you vote and say they'll think about the result.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 2, 2015

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Clerical NHS bank 0 hour buddies, yeah. Apparently the guidance has changed following a European court ruling; "rolled up" holiday pay eg paid pro rata on top of your salary is no longer lawful; taking at least the EU mandated 21 days holiday is part of the working time directive and you can't circumvent it with a 0 hour. This is extremely recent (Nov 2014, I think) and my trust seems to still be adjusting to it.

If you were not paid a holiday as part of a 0 hour, keep your pay stubs and bring them to the CAB, you might be able to make a claim.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
the lack of a fresh, clean april thread is extremely triggering for me.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Oberleutnant posted:

the lack of a fresh, clean april thread is extremely triggering for me.

One blessed with not having Americans' terrible opinions about food.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CoolCab posted:

Clerical NHS bank 0 hour buddies, yeah. Apparently the guidance has changed following a European court ruling; "rolled up" holiday pay eg paid pro rata on top of your salary is no longer lawful; taking at least the EU mandated 21 days holiday is part of the working time directive and you can't circumvent it with a 0 hour. This is extremely recent (Nov 2014, I think) and my trust seems to still be adjusting to it.

If you were not paid a holiday as part of a 0 hour, keep your pay stubs and bring them to the CAB, you might be able to make a claim.

Wait what? I have to take my holiday hours now?

Do you have a link to an explanation of this?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Like seriously we didn't impose our terrible food opinions on other peoples when we colonised them, we just took their food. What is this new, horrifying face of imperialism.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Was being talked about here a few days ago: Labour will scrap tribunal fees if elected.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-04-01/labour-will-scrap-fees-for-employment-tribunals/

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

Wait what? I have to take my holiday hours now?

Do you have a link to an explanation of this?

quote:

Rolled-up holiday pay

Holiday pay should be paid for the time when annual leave is taken. An employer cannot include an amount for holiday pay in the hourly rate (known as ‘rolled-up holiday pay’). If a current contract still includes rolled-up pay, it needs to be re-negotiated.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/holiday-pay-the-basics

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ok, in my case it isn't used in the calculation of my hourly rate, we earn holiday hours as we work, and if we elect not to take them, they just add the hours we earn onto our paychecks as holiday hours, even if we're still working, as I assume they would if we actually took them, we just get paid hours worked + holidays.

Essentially I get paid extra if I don't take holidays, which I rather like because I get plenty of time off anyway, does that still apply in that case do you know?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Something you hear a lot from Tories is that zero hour contracts benefit both workers and employers because some workers want the flexibility.

The employer decides what hours you work, though, right? You can't just say that you have to take your mum to hospital so you won't be coming in today but you'll come in tomorrow instead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jack the Lad posted:

Something you hear a lot from Tories is that zero hour contracts benefit both workers and employers because some workers want the flexibility.

The employer decides what hours you work, though, right? You can't just say that you have to take your mum to hospital so you won't be coming in today but you'll come in tomorrow instead.

Depends, a lot of my work is really flexible and I can do it any time during the week so long as the stores are open. But that's not really contingent on it being zero hours.

Merchandising is probably one of the best suited jobs for zero hours, but the contract itself is still pretty poo poo because it's mostly an excuse for employers to fire you without firing you.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

OwlFancier posted:

Depends, a lot of my work is really flexible and I can do it any time during the week so long as the stores are open. But that's not really contingent on it being zero hours.

Merchandising is probably one of the best suited jobs for zero hours, but the contract itself is still pretty poo poo because it's mostly an excuse for employers to fire you without firing you.

Right, it seems like that purpose would be served by having a 20 (or however many) contract with flexible times.

The real problems with zero hours as I see it are that people have no guaranteed income - which makes it very hard to plan a budget or know whether you'll be able to pay your rent on any given month - and that employers have no obligations to employees and can like you say just stop giving people hours.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

It really doesn't allow the employee any flexability. Usually it's just a weapon against you. Management upset with you? Suddenly you're not working this week. Can't work this Saturday? Strangely you ain't working all of next week ether. Won't do something that's clearly not your job? You won't be doing the things that are your job for a while.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I made a new thread, hope that's okay

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3710585

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jack the Lad posted:

Right, it seems like that purpose would be served by having a 20 (or however many) contract with flexible times.

The real problems with zero hours as I see it are that people have no guaranteed income - which makes it very hard to plan a budget or know whether you'll be able to pay your rent on any given month - and that employers have no obligations to employees and can like you say just stop giving people hours.

Yeah, some of the people who have been with the company longer still have their original X hours contract, they only hire people zero hours nowadays because why wouldn't they? It's low skill minimum wage work and they get a chunk of their hires off the work program, so they don't have to offer anything better. The company doesn't actually pull dick moves with people (and are actually weirdly lenient with people taking time off for illness and such) and they don't just pull your hours for no reason, but at the same time, why should they be able to in theory?

Zero hours are dumb.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Is there gonna be somewhere to tv iv the debate tonight? It's gonna be horrific I bet

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Phoon posted:

Is there gonna be somewhere to tv iv the debate tonight? It's gonna be horrific I bet

Seems like a good way to start off the new thread.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Jack the Lad posted:

Depends where and how it's used. My wife was on a zero hours as a teacher at a college. The zero hours staff would get paid for whatever lessons they happened to be timetabled (none of the prep or marking, which was easily 50% of the job) which depended entirely on student numbers and the hours covered by full time staff.

There absolutely were people there who liked the flexibility of zero hours, but in my wife's case, there were times she was doing the same work as a full time teacher and getting paid a fraction of the amount, and there were times she had bugger all hours. I heard of other staff who got timetabled 6 hours a week and were expected to pay rent and bills with that.

The reasons for having

Jack the Lad posted:

A friend of mine had a zero hours as a teacher at a college. There were people who it suited, but for the most part it was exploitative.

You got paid for the lessons you were timetabled, which changed 3 times in the academic year. Most of the timetable was covered by the full time staff, who were allocated a fixed number of hours a year. If there was a requirement over that, it was taken up by the zero hours staff.

Essentially, if you have short notice, variable demand for staff, zero hours means you never have to pay for for labour you're not using. Really there should be very little need for zero hours if you're good at forecasting demand. You might be a little over hours, but just swallow the cost.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Gonzo McFee posted:

It really doesn't allow the employee any flexability. Usually it's just a weapon against you. Management upset with you? Suddenly you're not working this week. Can't work this Saturday? Strangely you ain't working all of next week ether. Won't do something that's clearly not your job? You won't be doing the things that are your job for a while.

This was my experience when I had a zero hour contract in a family run garden centre a couple of summers ago. They didn't even operate using rotas made out in advance; they just told people when to come back in at the end of a shift, and if anyone was deemed to have worked to a sub-Stakhanovite standard they were told to expect a phone call and wouldn't be seen again. Not only that but they would offer most people just a few hours work each morning and only keep them on for the whole day if they thought they were getting enough work out of them. I really liked the exercise and the fresh air and had no other commitments so they had me working 40+ hours for the whole summer, but I still had to go through that farce every day and I lost track of the others who were coming and going. They operated in much the same fashion with the staff who worked in the indoor bit all year round. Also they were a really weird family and the ma was a loving sex pest but that's not a story for D&D.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I think the problem is that a lot of people who aren't bothered by 0 hour contracts are people who primarily think of them in terms of like ~sharing economy~ clients such as Uber, Hassle, Mopp, Homejoy and Handybook where you can bid for extra work on the side rather than as a brutally grinding day-job in an office space.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
My work's being very topical at the moment. We've just told a researcher that she's not allowed to see a bunch of letters from the Queen and Prince Phil to one of our old dukes.
Hope she doesn't make a FoI request :ohdear:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Can anyone give me a quick yes or no on whether I can vote? I'm a Swiss national living here for five years. It's my first GE.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Can anyone give me a quick yes or no on whether I can vote? I'm a Swiss national living here for five years. It's my first GE.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/who-is-eligible-to-vote-at-a-uk-general-election

quote:

Who is eligible to vote at a UK general election?

To vote in a UK general election a person must be registered to vote and also:
be 18 years of age or over on polling day
be a British citizen, a qualifying Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland
not be subject to any legal incapacity to vote

Additionally, the following cannot vote in a UK general election:
members of the House of Lords (although they can vote at elections to local authorities, devolved legislatures and the European Parliament)
EU citizens resident in the UK (although they can vote at elections to local authorities, devolved legislatures and the European Parliament)
anyone other than British, Irish and qualifying Commonwealth citizens
convicted persons detained in pursuance of their sentences (though remand prisoners, unconvicted prisoners and civil prisoners can vote if they are on the electoral register)
anyone found guilty within the previous five years of corrupt or illegal practices in connection with an election

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

quote:

Additionally, the following cannot vote in a UK general election: [...] EU citizens resident in the UK (although they can vote at elections to local authorities, devolved legislatures and the European Parliament)

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Nutsack. I asked the people at the registration booth on campus and they weren't sure.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Is Switzerland classed as EU for most reasons despite being officially separate? What's the deal with that arrangement? The airport queues that say EU (and Swiss) always confused me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Isn't that because Switzerland is in the Schengen area though not in the EU?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mods rename this thread SwissMT please

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pissflaps posted:

Isn't that because Switzerland is in the Schengen area though not in the EU?

Yep. Same thing with Norway. We get the free tuition deal in Scotland as well.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Coohoolin posted:

You mean Scottish National surely?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

EvilGenius posted:

It sounds like he'd want to rig the EU referendum in the same way the Tories rigged the AV referendum. If he could pull it off at least it would poo poo on any other attempt to do it for decades.

How was the AV referendum rigged? I was naturally part of the problem and voted no, but that was because I was relatively convinced it was a crap system that was the worst of all worlds. Of course, that was when FPTP still had a track record of delivering a strong majority. Oops.

LemonDrizzle posted:

quote:

But senior Lib Dem ministers and officials have said they are likely to back down and allow the 2017 vote, which they see as inevitable. Several of the party’s ministers believe holding a referendum at a set date in 2017 would at least “lance the boil” of growing euroscepticism.

This is a heck of a risk, as nice as it would be to lance the boil. I think that's pretty much pushed me to voting Labour.

baka kaba posted:

Because it's not been presented as 'Tory donors support Tories', it's presented as 'important experts on business warn that Labour will damage the recovery and make everything worse for everyone'. And it's definitely not being presented as the astroturfing that it really is

Perhaps important experts on business are voting Tory because they're important experts on business rather than to help the Tory party? :smuggo:

Prince John fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 2, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

Mountain oysters?

First time my fiancee told me about those I thought she was bullshitting me :v:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ThomasPaine posted:

Is Switzerland classed as EU for most reasons despite being officially separate? What's the deal with that arrangement? The airport queues that say EU (and Swiss) always confused me.
Switzerland is not in the EU. That's why it's listed as a second point on the list in the airport. huh

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Prince John posted:

Of course, that was when FPTP still had a track record of delivering a strong majority. Oops.

you what mate? 2010, 74, 74 again, 64, 50 & whatever point between 92 and 97 Major's majority disappeared.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I look forward to seeing Ed Milibland trying to form with the assistance of the SNP. Good god, the thought makes me moist.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dave looks more goblin like than normal.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
'most of our laws made in europe'

Not even 5 mins in, and first lie from Farage

Clegg also lying- hes' lips are moving.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Clegg is also saying that the Lib Dems are resillient, it's lies all around so far.

• Locked thread