Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tommychu posted:

Tide Drunkposter of the Year 2015?
My spelling and grammar doesn't change much until I start pushing up against the 'I should be in the hospital' limit. I just get disjointed and rambly (more than usual).

The keyboard on my phone fucks me up stone sober, so if I'm even buzzed I just stop trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Tommychu posted:

My spelling and grammar doesn't change much until I start pushing up against the 'I should be in the hospital' limit. I just get disjointed and rambly (more than usual).

When I drunkpost, I go to comically great lengths to ensure that my grammar and spelling are as correct as possible. As a result, a simple, two-or-three sentence post might take me literally forever to craft, but it doesn't look or sound appreciably different to soberposting.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrChips posted:

When I drunkpost, I go to comically great lengths to ensure that my grammar and spelling are as correct as possible. As a result, a simple, two-or-three sentence post might take me literally forever to craft, but it doesn't look or sound appreciably different to soberposting.

Yeah this too. My last drunkposting rampage was 3 posts, maybe a couple lines each and it took over an hour.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

The keyboard on my phone fucks me up stone sober, so if I'm even buzzed I just stop trying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojErxEn1vD0

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pretty loving much, and I am now going to use that daily.

Edit: also just realized my Fluke gets used more as a thermometer for my smoker than any other use.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 1, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrChips posted:

I'm the same, although possibly my use of profanity increases when I'm drunk. I get a lot of mileage out of four letter words.

We had some people move out of our department and my boss hauled out half a dozen hard drives from an old cupboard that probably hadn't been opened in three years this morning. Also, five laptops that are older than dirt that I guess no one ever got around to throwing out. The of course, they got dumped on my desk, because a) I sit close to the people that are moving and b) I'm the defacto "he knows stuff about computers, give them to him" guy.

Anyone need a Dell Precision M90? They're only 9 years old... If nothing else I might scavenge the rare-earth magnets out of the HDDs,

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just requested to join the AI facebook group. Will I regret this?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Memento posted:

Anyone need a Dell Precision M90? They're only 9 years old... If nothing else I might scavenge the rare-earth magnets out of the HDDs,

You've piqued my interest. Got any details / specs?

Damnit, disregard, supposed to be saving for car stuff :negative:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 1, 2015

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Well I sold my Comanche. The buyer sent me a pic of it after doing donuts in the snow and said he's in love. And he's a jeep guy, so it went to a good home :unsmith:. I always get nervous after selling a car that the seller will find something wrong and be pissed at me.

Time for me to find a new old car.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
"I've got a V6 but when I get parts I have to ask for the parts for a V8!"

....then you have a V8, not a V6. Or you're about to buy the wrong stuff and have to come back and return it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

QuarkMartial posted:

"I've got a V6 but when I get parts I have to ask for the parts for a V8!"

....then you have a V8, not a V6. Or you're about to buy the wrong stuff and have to come back and return it.
Or an engine swap/oddball spec?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Memento posted:

I'm the same, although possibly my use of profanity increases when I'm drunk. I get a lot of mileage out of four letter words.

We had some people move out of our department and my boss hauled out half a dozen hard drives from an old cupboard that probably hadn't been opened in three years this morning. Also, five laptops that are older than dirt that I guess no one ever got around to throwing out. The of course, they got dumped on my desk, because a) I sit close to the people that are moving and b) I'm the defacto "he knows stuff about computers, give them to him" guy.

How much and any other specs? Cause currently I have zero computers and live off my phone for everything :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

InitialDave posted:

Or an engine swap/oddball spec?

Maybe? But it was a little old lady in a Ford Explorer so I doubt it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

just gacked my hand open with a razor blade. This is fairly accurate.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

T1g4h posted:

You've piqued my interest. Got any details / specs?

Damnit, disregard, supposed to be saving for car stuff :negative:

Yeah honestly, it's a 3.8 kilo laptop, it would probably cost more than a hundred dollars to send it to the US. Totally not worth it.

There was one laptop in there that was decent, and was going to be thrown out, a Dell XPS L502X with a dead hard drive. I've just ebayed one and I'm going to give it to my mother-in-law, as she's just retired and lost her work laptop. It seems crazy to me at first glance that this sort of thing would be worth nothing, but it's a nearly-five-year-old laptop with a dead hard drive and in the corporate world it's just so much E-waste. But with a spend of 70-odd dollars, it's a perfectly usable laptop. poo poo, it'd probably be a decent gaming rig as long as you weren't trying to play Crysis on the highest setting.

iwentdoodie posted:

How much and any other specs? Cause currently I have zero computers and live off my phone for everything :v:

If there's a smaller one around, I'll keep an eye out, but again, shipping's going to be $$$. Also, it turns out that the M90 has a dead hard drive as well. I'm starting to see a pattern here...

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Well, I posted last night that I was going to make a road trip including both skyline drive and Tail of the Dragon to visit family down in NC, now it looks like my plans are gonna have to change because of weather. :smith:

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Looked at a 1992 Volvo 940 Turbo today, zero rust anywhere, runs like a top, only it drains the battery if left overnight. Guy wants $750.

Well, should I Volvo, or should I not Volvo?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Always Volvo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Always Volvo.

Without a doubt. I'd buy that car with no other questions.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Always Volvo.

Counterpoint: Not always Volvo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Dallas and Austin are still going to be a considerable drive from either pheonix or LA. I also feel it worth mentioning that Tampa has a hockey team, baseball team and football team! None are that good though. But it does have awesome beaches, better year round weather than the DFW metroplex area, Gasparilla festival (Think pirate themed parade that lasts most of a month before ending in a mardi gras style party) and literally less than a single gently caress given about any sort of safety, emissions or go fast laws. So long as your lights work, your vision isn't obscured by a broken windshield and you don't have parts literally falling off your car as you drive it, you're pretty much good to go. :toot:

I've lived in the DFW metroplex and currently live just north of tampa and I'd say both areas are pretty equal as far as being enjoyable places to live.

My wife is looking at homes in Tampa and Saint Pete and is getting excited because housing is so cheap compared to up here, but is there anywhere to avoid in that area? I assume places with good school systems are better neighborhoods, but I know nothing about the area except it was really nice when I went there. Is there suburbs that are better or did the big cities annex all the nice areas?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Tusen Takk posted:

My wife is looking at homes in Tampa and Saint Pete and is getting excited because housing is so cheap compared to up here, but is there anywhere to avoid in that area? I assume places with good school systems are better neighborhoods, but I know nothing about the area except it was really nice when I went there. Is there suburbs that are better or did the big cities annex all the nice areas?

I hear Florida is a nice place if you avoid the area between the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Tommychu posted:

When I get really hammered I start sounding like I swallowed a thesaurus. By the time my spelling and grammar is being affected I'm already usually unconscious.

SlimManFat, you already know what I'm going to tell you: Buy the Volvo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I want to drink more, but I just replaced 1 of 2 HID bulbs in my E39 and I want to take it out when it gets dark to see if it made a difference.

First world drinking problems.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

From his posts, Lecia seems to be a bit further south of me and can probably answer more accurately, but I would suggest avoiding clearwater and don't go further north than tarpon springs for tampa/st pete suburbs. Wesley chapel / new tampa are pretty nice from what I've heard. (I live north of tarpon, its p. redneck out here.)

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 2, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I just realized it's march 1st and my new debit card never showed up, whooooops

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Neighbour is practicing his sax, badly, at midnight. Never heard anyone make so little progress in six months.

Guess it's time to grab a drink at my local then and talk to the barman about his new baby. MX5. I think he's in love.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So I have a 2015 Focus the next couple of weeks or so while my car is out of commission. MyFordTouch v2 is better than MyFordTouch v1, still sucks. More hard buttons, which is good, but the interface is still a miles deep rabbithole of menus that are illogically labelled and grouped. I've bricked it twice already. The transmission is great at full throttle, ripping off nice clean, quick shifts. Anything less than full throttle, it feels like it's being shifted by a first-time driver. Lots of lugging and mild jerking, especially at parking lot speeds. Not quite Smart level of frustration, but it's up there. Overall, it's a nice car - quiet, reasonably roomy, good set of features for the money, reasonably powerful, decent fuel economy, but MFT and the transmission pretty much ruin it. Stick to the manual transmission (if you can find one) if you want a Focus.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Goober Peas posted:

Stick to the manual transmission (if you can find one) if you want a Focus.
Its still a loving 5 speed.
(Unless its an ST. Then you can have a real transmission).

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Please don't speedshame some of us can't afford 6 gears. :shobon:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Not very auspicious when you drop 4 grand on a class and the instructor stands you up the first day.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm ordering pizza and beer and watching House of Cards Season 3. Don't profane me. Petcock.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone know much about water softeners?

The brine tank on mine is basically just loose, wet salt mush at the bottom, and I use the pellets. It also had a lot of standing water, like 3/4 of the tank.. I pulled out as much of the salt pellets/salt mush and water as I could, then I dumped in a bunch of hot fresh water to soak up the remainder of the salt and will run it through a regen cycle. I'm hopeful that'll fix it but I know gently caress all about water softeners.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Don't mind if I do

:heysexy:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hell yes spintires, I should really build a decent computer at some point. What did you end up going with?

It is Super overkill but i have a hard time doing anything half assed. On the up side I can do some video stuff that takes forever on my MBP, but mostly I will be using it with my projector to play steam games until I get sim setup with a few monitors going here soon.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
Graphics card: MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G
RAM:G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
SSD: 512gb Samsung 850 PRO
Storage: WD Green 4TB
Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black

then some extra case fans and a dvd burner

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Holdbrooks posted:

It is Super overkill but i have a hard time doing anything half assed. On the up side I can do some video stuff that takes forever on my MBP, but mostly I will be using it with my projector to play steam games until I get sim setup with a few monitors going here soon.

God drat. :staredog: About $1700?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seems shortsighted to go with an expensive quad core/DDR3 build with hex core/ DDR4 on the table.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I dunno who's constipated, but there is a poo poo-load (see what I did there?) of Activia yogurt in the fridge.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

Anyone know much about water softeners?

The brine tank on mine is basically just loose, wet salt mush at the bottom, and I use the pellets. It also had a lot of standing water, like 3/4 of the tank.. I pulled out as much of the salt pellets/salt mush and water as I could, then I dumped in a bunch of hot fresh water to soak up the remainder of the salt and will run it through a regen cycle. I'm hopeful that'll fix it but I know gently caress all about water softeners.

What model is it and what kind of tank (like it is an all in one unit/hopper style or 2 or more separate pieces?) If the tank water level is high is likely means something got stuck at some point.....whether a valve or the cycle controller or a float level. It could have been a one time thing, it could be a continuing problem.

Softeners tend to need periodic maintenance because of all of the salt. Relatively simple poo poo - disassemble, soak poo poo in hot water to get all the salt crust off, reassemble. If the tank level gets off is usually best to just drain it/clean it out and start over with a "system startup" per the manual so you know things are correct.

When mine does that I just run it until there's almost no salt left/I can't take not having softened water anymore so I don't have to shovel wet salt out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Holdbrooks posted:

The only thing here I'd change is the WD Green. I've not been too impressed with the greens' failure rate.

• Locked thread