Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

stevenolson88 posted:

Even as an officer...when I get out I want to work construction or be a bartender for a little bit until I jump into something bigger.

Um you can draw this out for 3+ years pretty successfully, let's get a drink and I will tell you all about it bruh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

psydude posted:

That brings up a good point. It would save the Army a lot of time and money if they cut out everything except how to become a cop, a security guard who wishes they were a cop, or work for your uncle's construction company.

Don't forgot going to UTI/whatever other flavor of the month technical institute is hawked

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Justin Tyme posted:

Don't forgot going to UTI/whatever other flavor of the month technical institute is hawked

Scamming vets with worthless degrees from lovely, for-profit schools has really taken off as an industry.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was contacted for a position at AMU's NOC a few months back. It would have been the pinnacle of officerness - screwing over enlisteds both in and out of the service.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

I was contacted for a position at AMU's NOC a few months back. It would have been the pinnacle of officerness - screwing over enlisteds both in and out of the service.

So I'm assuming that you took the job then.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
UTI means urinary tract infection and I won't hear different

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
AMU degrees are the height of worthless. I know so many people who have bachelor' through there who talked about how it was a shoe in from there to a contractor gig making good money that essentially just made them the 3rd highest paid employee at the mall's footlocker

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
"I was sitting right there where you are now X years ago, so trust me when I say that..."

What the gently caress do you expect me to do, congratulate you on continuing to fail upwards into even greater heights of mediocrity? Commiserate with you on how loving retarded you are for staying at Drum? This preface is the biggest disclaimer for anything that follows, a thunderous cry of, "Please ignore all of my advice and thinly-veiled shilling for the flavor of the month for-profit "college".

God damnit. I'd be even more pissed, but at least I'm getting the gently caress away from work.

EDIT: I have realistically planned out the next 4-6 years in detail, with contingencies built in. GO AWAY.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 5, 2015

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

"I was sitting right there where you are now X years ago, so trust me when I say that..."

What the gently caress do you expect me to do, congratulate you on continuing to fail upwards into even greater heights of mediocrity? Commiserate with you on how loving retarded you are for staying at Drum? This preface is the biggest disclaimer for anything that follows, a thunderous cry of, "Please ignore all of my advice and thinly-veiled shilling for the flavor of the month for-profit "college".

God damnit. I'd be even more pissed, but at least I'm getting the gently caress away from work.

EDIT: I have realistically planned out the next 4-6 years in detail, with contingencies built in. GO AWAY.

Right? gently caress ACAP. gently caress the army.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Zeris posted:

As a former commissioned officer in the united states army I would just like to say im gay

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Pesticide20 posted:

Right? gently caress ACAP. gently caress the army.

It's like every single other thing in the Army. You are punished for competence. In this case your punishment is endless briefings that are worthless to you because you have already done the planning and worthless to the people that won't do the planning anyway. Sure bet it looked good on someone's ORB though.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Trip report: KAF still sucks.

SumYungGui posted:

You are punished for competence.

THIS. Yeah, let's run this guy into the loving ground because he's dependable. This happens all too frequently to junior officers.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
enjoy your 24/7 shitpond gas cloud

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Can confirm about the education advising during ACAP. I was told that my acceptance and plan to move to University of Montana was unneccessary and I should just do an online college from the comfort of my own home and collect the "free money from the 9/11 bill." That doesn't make educational or financial sense. Of course he hawked troy university and AMU.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Triggs posted:

Trip report: KAF still sucks.

Enjoy all the formations marching around?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Can't wait for a MASCAL to occur when a rocket hits a bunch of people marching in formation and, instead of removing that retarded policy, the post requires everyone to be in full kit while marching in formation.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
lol you have to march in formation on kaf now? stay gay, army.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
gently caress the army. gently caress my leadership. That is all.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

psydude posted:

Can't wait for a MASCAL to occur when a rocket hits a bunch of people marching in formation and, instead of removing that retarded policy, the post requires everyone to be in full kit while marching in formation.

And then when it happens again, they will require everyone to be in full kit while marching in formation with a PT belt.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just leave the incoming alarm on 24/7. If you get whacked outside a shelter it's your own fault.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ptolemaeus posted:

Can confirm about the education advising during ACAP. I was told that my acceptance and plan to move to University of Montana was unneccessary and I should just do an online college from the comfort of my own home and collect the "free money from the 9/11 bill." That doesn't make educational or financial sense. Of course he hawked troy university and AMU.

It's like "hmm, get a degree in military history online at a university that is publicly traded at the NYSE at a cost of all my GI Bill benefits, or go to a state university and get a mechanical engineering degree while collecting 100% BAH...."

You guys in ACAP right now should just straight up ask with full earnestness why you should take online classes and not collect 100% BAH when you could make even more money to go to school for a degree in a STEM field and see their ant brains short circuit. It would be like someone barging into a magic show loudly yelling how all the tricks are done.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
gently caress ACAP. Declined their services, had to get my commander to sign their gay form, gave it back to them. Cleared ACAP.

gently caress ACAP right in the rear end.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Fo reals, get a goddamn STEM degree. It's a job you'll hate less than the military, and you'll make more than enough money for all the weed and fleshlights you'll ever need.

Plus college keeps you on a regular schedule so you don't flip the gently caress out due to not knowing what to do with free time.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Painsaw posted:

Fo reals, get a goddamn STEM degree. It's a job you'll hate less than the military, and you'll make more than enough money for all the weed and fleshlights you'll ever need.

Plus college keeps you on a regular schedule so you don't flip the gently caress out due to not knowing what to do with free time.

With engineering especially if you don't live in a dumb hippy city full of tech startups you can land internships that pay like $20-30/hr during summer break (that potentially lead to full employment if you put in the effort to network). You are a loving fool if you ETS and don't use your GI Bill unless you already have a degree or something really nice lined up. Any college worth their salt will have an office specifically geared to hooking you up with sweet internships.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Cole posted:

And then when it happens again, they will require everyone to be in full kit while marching in formation with a PT belt.

If I ever accidentally nail some rear end in a top hat running in the loving dark poor bastard with my car, the very first thing I'm doing is throwing their pt belt into the bushes.

Any opinions on safety management degrees? Seems like there's a fair few jobs in that field.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Suntan Boy posted:

If I ever accidentally nail some rear end in a top hat running in the loving dark poor bastard with my car, the very first thing I'm doing is throwing their pt belt into the bushes.

this is the mil version of "sprinkle some crack on 'em"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Suntan Boy posted:

Any opinions on safety management degrees? Seems like there's a fair few jobs in that field.

Are you talking like emergency management, or safety compliance management for industry and manufacturing? In the compliance field, getting your ISO 9001 certification matters more than anything else.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Painsaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqjv0mHpapk

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

psydude posted:

Are you talking like emergency management, or safety compliance management for industry and manufacturing? In the compliance field, getting your ISO 9001 certification matters more than anything else.

Compliance for sure, I'm pretty well done with phone calls at 2 in the morning. As long as OSHA and litigation are things, I figure those positions aren't going anywhere, and they generally pay well enough. ISO 9001, thanks for the pointer, I'll look into that.

E: Oh my God.

E2: Still better than army by several orders of magnitude.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 6, 2015

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My plan is to get enough credits from a community college in order to transfer into a four year school, since my GPA is hosed from my first attempt at college. From there it's an accounting degree and internship, then either work on a Master's degree of get a job.

But to get there I've got to not kill myself/my leadership before I get out, which according to my physical therapist I need to see my orthopedic surgeon and have him start a med board for me. I'll probably write up a long effort post tomorrow and either post it here or the QP thread.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Pesticide20 posted:

My plan is to get enough credits from a community college in order to transfer into a four year school, since my GPA is hosed from my first attempt at college. From there it's an accounting degree and internship, then either work on a Master's degree of get a job.

But to get there I've got to not kill myself/my leadership before I get out, which according to my physical therapist I need to see my orthopedic surgeon and have him start a med board for me. I'll probably write up a long effort post tomorrow and either post it here or the QP thread.

Call the community college you're looking to go to. See if they accept tuition assistance for distance learning (they probably do; they'll take money however they can get it). Knock out your two year degree before you even get out of the military.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

gently caress drill weekends. gently caress training meetings. That is all.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Cole posted:

Call the community college you're looking to go to. See if they accept tuition assistance for distance learning (they probably do; they'll take money however they can get it). Knock out your two year degree before you even get out of the military.

1000x this great idea unless you want to do something with a lab requirement(chem, bio, nursing).

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Retardog posted:

gently caress drill weekends. gently caress training meetings. That is all.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Also on that note, make sure you go to the job fairs if you know your time in the military is coming to an end. Six3 systems has a large presence here in Germany, and just by attending two or three of their hiring pitches and having worked with them at Wiesbaden, they made an internship sound like easy times. I am not counting on it, but business cards from them and face-time can't hurt.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
fuk i have to be at dril at an hour ama

questions should concern my sexual preferences thanks in advance

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

NTT posted:

just dont go

E: nevermind im too late

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

NTT posted:

What questions could be left to ask? You're going to drill, everyone knows you take green weenie up the butt.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

NTT posted:

gently caress you got mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

gently caress you got mine

• Locked thread