Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ACAP was terrible because I already had a job but still had to sit through their lovely lectures and fill out their lovely workbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cole posted:

you can actually sign a waiver to not do acap :ssh:

Not when you're a demobilizing reservist.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That brings up a good point. It would save the Army a lot of time and money if they cut out everything except how to become a cop, a security guard who wishes they were a cop, or work for your uncle's construction company.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was contacted for a position at AMU's NOC a few months back. It would have been the pinnacle of officerness - screwing over enlisteds both in and out of the service.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Can't wait for a MASCAL to occur when a rocket hits a bunch of people marching in formation and, instead of removing that retarded policy, the post requires everyone to be in full kit while marching in formation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Suntan Boy posted:

If I ever accidentally nail some rear end in a top hat running in the loving dark poor bastard with my car, the very first thing I'm doing is throwing their pt belt into the bushes.

Any opinions on safety management degrees? Seems like there's a fair few jobs in that field.

Are you talking like emergency management, or safety compliance management for industry and manufacturing? In the compliance field, getting your ISO 9001 certification matters more than anything else.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Reservists/guardsmen: how many former Marines do you guys have in your unit that still refer to themselves as Marines.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's been about 50/50 for me with former Marines. Half have been loving great, the other half have been loving terrible.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Retardog posted:

From a buddy's FB: "HRC is an odd place I never want to figure out. You know you're gonna have a bad day when you roll up and a LTC is outside on a detail picking up cigarette butts in the parking lot."

It may be the WTU. I had an NCO that got sent there from Afghanistan and said that they used the WTU members as the labor force on the post. He was sweeping hallways and cutting grass 10 hours a day, 6 days a week with an O4 who had finally had enough after being strung along for 2 months and left. Let that sink in for a second: the Ft. Knox WTU takes people who were injured badly enough to warrant being sent to a special unit for treatment (my NCO had hosed up his back) and makes them to do manual labor.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 12, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The only fun I've ever had at a range was at Ghazni, where the range was basically just a big pit that you could roll up to whenever and do whatever the hell you wanted.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Something about the area around Allentown. I went to college with a dude who got sent to prison for statutory rape of a 15 year old and providing alcohol to minors. . . in Allentown.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Engineer units are pretty bad because they can't make up their mind between trying to be combat arms and trying to actually be professional construction/engineering organizations. The end result achieves neither goal.

e: Does CID only employ 19 year olds? Every time I dealt with them in Afghanistan it was like talking to college sophomores working on an interview for the school newspaper.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 17, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Imagine being an intel/signal TL/SL/PSG/PL and knowing that 3/4 of your Joes are bronies.

lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

But is racial Tuesday still okay?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Drill as non-primary staff at a reserve brigade headquarters is the most shamtastic thing. "Well, we have nothing planned staff-wise for this morning. So uh, everyone go do what you need to do and meet back here after lunch."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cole posted:

Isn't there some kind of regulation that says you get 24 months in garrison before you deploy again?

A friend of mine just got to Hawaii and his unit is set to deploy to some wacky places like Indonesia, and he just got back from Afghanistan in like... November. Apparently they are that unit that is on worldwide call or some bullshit. I don't know how that works.

He can't stay on the rear det?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

USMC503 posted:

I'm not sure. I know on the reserve side, we're only supposed to deploy once every 5 years, and if we go more often, they give you a bunch of extra leave. I would imagine it'd be the same on active duty.

E: granted this was in the Marines so it could be different.

This applies to the Army reserve as well. There's also a mandatory 24 month dwell time that can be waived by the soldier.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SumYungGui posted:

If anyone is being serious about saying a regulation about dwell time will get you out of something the commander wants I'm rather impressed at your optimism. Anything like that has a skazillion and a half loopholes because gently caress you and the only thing that really matters is how bad someone up the food chain wants you to go. If they want it bad enough they'll find the paper work to cram that green weenie so far up your rear end you'll brush your teeth with it.

This may have been the case back when the Army was busy taking care of the Bush Administration's back to back fuckups, but they're pretty good about honoring dwell time these days because there's a billion people chomping at the bit for some sweet stripper wife and Camaro deployment cash.

Like it's to the point where it's almost impossible to get sent to Afghanistan with a 3 in MEDPROS.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

stevenolson88 posted:

One of 12 senior 1LTs/junior CPTs in the battalion 3 shop right now. I come in and do PT. Check my e-mail. Nothing to do. Go to lunch. Go to the gym. Go home by 1500 every day.

This is me. Show up to drill, stand in formation, do work for civilian job/master's program for 8 hours, stand in formation, go home.

The NCOs have started to get mad at how informal I am. I've taken this to mean I'm behaving appropriately.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NTT posted:

This will be the first year where I've got my name on a rent lease; should I be calling someone in my unit about updating my BAH? I suspect that even for 2 weeks of AT that there's to be some semblance of compensation to be had. I'm single, if that's a 'you get nothing' detail.

e; later in april we're going on a 2 week mission to dump ammo that came back post deployment from a sister unit so I guess that would count too.

Sub-30 day orders award type II BAH, which is based upon a flat rate. If you're ordered to active duty over 30 days (which entitles you to full active duty benefits), you'll fill out a new BAH form with your address and everything.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

Also we are (lol) scheduled for a 33 day JRTC rotation, the second one of two back to back rotations. I don't think that they will keep the days with NYC BAH for most of my Soldiers, but I could be wrong. What are the chances of them cutting it down to 21 days? Likely? Unlikely? This is after the first change in dates to support the mission.

The first one is 21 days

They should be putting them on actual active duty orders, but the process for it is somewhat complex so I doubt it's going to happen. It's more likely that they're going to throw them on back to back 29 day orders.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NTT posted:

Do I still need to tell someone in my unit I have a name on a lease for type 2 or is that automated and everyone gets it without much fuss?

Ask your admin people, but it should still be automatic.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We had a Westpointer in my EBOLC class who was super proud of his 6 cylinder, automatic Camaro that he bought for MSRP.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Engineer BOLC was super gay and couldn't decide if it wanted to be a gentleman's course teaching civil engineering, construction project management, route clearance, obstacle integration, and mobility/countermobility/survivability planning (you know, the things that engineers actually do while deployed), or a gay as gently caress combat arms course with hooah poo poo like rucking the sapper course that's basically useless in the real world.

e: Oh wait, the post OEF/OIF world is stupid poo poo like going on ruck marches so I guess my post is invalid in TYOOL 2015.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 30, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kiryen posted:

Well no, but mainly because there isn't enough money to make drill into 6 UTAs a month average instead of 4 - by which, I mean enough money to replace the 75% of the reserves that would loving quit. It's a matter of there not being enough time to fix it no matter how much money there is.

As it is, I do enough free work for the Army. I have a weekly "readiness teleconference" on Tuesdays I have to be on - for loving free - if I had another day of drill every month, even with pay, that might just push it over the edge to "the retirement is not worth it any more."

My non-drill workload has plummeted since I've moved out of a line unit to become non-primary staff at the brigade level. Any day spent in drilling status is better than being on active duty, but with that being said, it's to the point where my time is worth far more than the money I make on drill weekend. I see very little value in continuing my reserve career after my service obligation provided my civilian company finds a long-term project to hold my SCI.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Aranan posted:

Isn't the army all about creating extra work for no reason which only adds to the clutter and makes it harder to keep track of things?

I thought we were just doing what we were supposed to do!

This satisfies the other Army requirement: to have antiquated poo poo on your property book long after it's ceased to be useful or maintained.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think I have a PT test next weekend or something. But maybe not since I have to travel for work next week. I haven't taken one in over a year and a half due to deploying. Nor do I care.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I made a point of never shaving before flights or convoys.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Southern Vulcan posted:

So I dunno if there is a better place to post this.

I'm gonna be a new intern at an army hospital in June. We have to wear ACUs despite us being doctors. The only boots I have are those terrible shits I bought at the uniform supply store. They don't fit right and give me blisters. I'm looking for the most comfortable sneaker-like boot I can find. According to the other docs they don't
do inspections for the doctors there so as long as it looks like it passes regs it's fine. I have huge feet (size 13) so what do you guys know that comes in my size and is actually comfortable.

Edit to add I'll pretty much just be walking around a hospital all day. So how well they kick in doors is pretty unimportant to me.

Are you an army medical officer who is doing an internship, or are you a civilian who is being forced to wear ACUs?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Southern Vulcan posted:

I'm in the Army. I did HPSP which is like ROTC for medical school. I'm graduating in May so I'm starting my 7 year payback.

Rockys will probably be just fine. If you ever get deployed, they'll fall apart within 15 minutes of setting feet in theater, but they're comfortable and sturdy enough for office wear and tear.

And even though you're a doctor, take some time to sit down and figure out all of the gay military poo poo so you aren't that O3 running around the FST with their IOTV falling apart during an attack.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm super lame and have only ever worn Bellevilles. But they seem to be indestructible: I had a pair that I wore all through ROTC, BOLC, FTXs, and 3/4 of the way through Afghanistan until they literally fell off of my feet because the sole cracked.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Southern Vulcan posted:

Bellevilles from clothing and sales are what wrecked my feet. For the longest time, I didn't know you could choose your boot and I thought I was stuck with those shits for forever.

I think I'm gonna try a different brand. I use nike shoes now for running and they work well. I'd hope the boots will work as well. I think I will try a few different options. I'm on my feet enough it's worth it to find me something that doesn't leave me throbbing at the end of the day.

You may also be buying boots that are too big. I wear a size 13 shoe, but I wear a size 11 and a half boot.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Joe bad financial decision stories are never not funny.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was pretty adamant about refusing to get involved in people's poo poo at my level unless it was affecting their performance, was illegal/against regs, or they specifically came to me. My CO and BC would bitch about it until I pointed out that Joe maintenance was an NCO job, specifically a PSG and 1SG job.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If I ever deploy again, I'm going to set up a smuggling ring to bring American cigarettes and dip into country, because I swear to God some of my Joes would pay $10-20 per pack/tin for that poo poo every time someone got a care package.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Holy gently caress that made my morning. Every piece of it it is just so Army, including them changing the definition of "optimism" after the fact.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

On a lighter note, I re watched Three Kings for the first time in like 10 years and holy drat is that a good movie.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SF units make their support people wear maroon berets? That sucks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

would much rather joes smoke than dip

smoking is cool (lol who are we kidding, nobody in the army is cool); dipping is gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I mean smoking is pretty retarded in normal society but the rest of the stupid poo poo in the military makes it look like a reasonable passtime.

• Locked thread