Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

psydude posted:

That brings up a good point. It would save the Army a lot of time and money if they cut out everything except how to become a cop, a security guard who wishes they were a cop, or work for your uncle's construction company.

Don't forgot going to UTI/whatever other flavor of the month technical institute is hawked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ptolemaeus posted:

Can confirm about the education advising during ACAP. I was told that my acceptance and plan to move to University of Montana was unneccessary and I should just do an online college from the comfort of my own home and collect the "free money from the 9/11 bill." That doesn't make educational or financial sense. Of course he hawked troy university and AMU.

It's like "hmm, get a degree in military history online at a university that is publicly traded at the NYSE at a cost of all my GI Bill benefits, or go to a state university and get a mechanical engineering degree while collecting 100% BAH...."

You guys in ACAP right now should just straight up ask with full earnestness why you should take online classes and not collect 100% BAH when you could make even more money to go to school for a degree in a STEM field and see their ant brains short circuit. It would be like someone barging into a magic show loudly yelling how all the tricks are done.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Painsaw posted:

Fo reals, get a goddamn STEM degree. It's a job you'll hate less than the military, and you'll make more than enough money for all the weed and fleshlights you'll ever need.

Plus college keeps you on a regular schedule so you don't flip the gently caress out due to not knowing what to do with free time.

With engineering especially if you don't live in a dumb hippy city full of tech startups you can land internships that pay like $20-30/hr during summer break (that potentially lead to full employment if you put in the effort to network). You are a loving fool if you ETS and don't use your GI Bill unless you already have a degree or something really nice lined up. Any college worth their salt will have an office specifically geared to hooking you up with sweet internships.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

psydude posted:

It may be the WTU. I had an NCO that got sent there from Afghanistan and said that they used the WTU members as the labor force on the post. He was sweeping hallways and cutting grass 10 hours a day, 6 days a week with an O4 who had finally had enough after being strung along for 2 months and left. Let that sink in for a second: the Ft. Knox WTU takes people who were injured badly enough to warrant being sent to a special unit for treatment (my NCO had hosed up his back) and makes them to do manual labor.

I can't believe there were how ever many people in WTU and not a single one went to IG/their congressman about that.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Suntan Boy posted:

Third goddamn anniversary watching units bumblefuck through NTC, time to get shitfaced. How the Christ did we ever come out on top in a war?

Also every day is Man Love Thursday in the desert, you guys are totally missing out.

As long as your side doesn't gently caress up as much as the bad guys, you'll be alright! WW2 was just a series of out-loving-up each other.

Now I wanna hear some sweet hosed up idiot poo poo about modern Russian conscripts that make even the worse US stories seem tame, those are always fun.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

HHC at OCS is weirdly chill, candidates ordering pizza and going out to subway and using their phones yet I have a sense of impending doom for when we class up.

On second thought those are really normal things to do on a Saturday. Sand Hill has warped my mind.

Do those poor souls at RASP hold still have to sprint to the OCS dfac five minutes before closing on weekends when the cadre just peace the gently caress out and the barracks are complete anarchy being ran by the single E5 candidate who was unaware that every dfac within the footprint were closed, and hold was on lockdown?

You'll notice them by their shaved heads and two quart man-purse. Those cooks must have been pissed but the OCS dfac is pretty fancy for a dfac.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

We had an older dude who was a college e4 (not a dumb guy all things considered, he honestly just wanted to serve in an enlisted capacity and had a big interest in history/war movies) that was pretty financially stable. Dude decides he wants a place of his own since living in the barracks with a bunch of 18-twentysomethings who trash the place every weekend gets a little old. He gets a mortgage for a quaint little house in a quiet neighborhood 30 minutes from post for something like 4-500$ a month. PSG/PL get wind of it and nearly give him a negative counseling for doing it under his own volition and not telling anyone. Nothing ever really came out of it since the dude made it abundantly clear he knew what he was doing. Last I heard, he actually ended up getting sick of the commute/started living with a girlfriend and turned it into an investment property making around $300 a month in profit.

Are you seriously required to consult with your first line before you make a major purchase? Like, is that a regulation? That was always one of those things they heavily implied was a regulation but never cited anything. I might just be misremembering things but I am fairly sure one guy got smoked for buying a car without telling anyone once.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 16, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It's good to be out.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Zeris posted:

Rip and rasp are the old and present (as of like 2011) courses you attend before joining the 75th. 2nd hand as well that rasp is basically a gentleman's course because they do their weeding out somewhere else along the pipeline.

That's RASP phase II and ROP, phase I and Hold is where they weed out people. I myself got weeded out because they don't manage hold very well and end up having like 300-some people waiting to take a class that can only fit so many so you end up having to be in hold for like 3 months before even getting the opportunity to try. I said gently caress it because gently caress living in hold for 3 months, you'd have to carry your laundry a mile each weekend to the shoppette or airborne school (they didn't really want RASP dudes using their facilities) and pay out of pocket to clean your poo poo. Also the barracks were run down as gently caress Vietnam-era gulags with black mold in every crack and crevasse. I didn't really care enough anyway since I lost that bootfuck huah momentum after our first weekend on the town at airborne school and just wanted my car/privacy/freedom again.

If you're in good physical shape and could get a 270 or better on the PT test you could probably pass as long as you aren't an rear end in a top hat (peer evals) and don't lose your marbles, but I feel like if they actually managed the program better they could prevent a lot of the attrition from people getting impatient. From what I hear about SFAS they actually treat you pretty well in hold and give you cool classes, when I got to RASP hold it was literally just hold, you'd go to formation and maybe do some token classes but nothing really to prepare you better. I got there the week they actually started even doing PT, since apparently some retard at a Q&A with some high level officer in Regiment asked "why don't we do PT in holdover?". The results from cadre were predictably punishing.

Maybe sticking people in a run-down condemned barracks for months at a time is part of the weeding out process but I feel like it's more of a natural (unprepared) result from a generation playing COD and being able to get it in your contract when you enlist. If you're wanting to go infantry anyway, there's really no reason not to go 18x/option 40 because you're already self-flagellating yourself enough you might as well set yourself on fire too. Last I heard they started sending people to airborne school AFTER RASP because apparently a lot of people would just take an option 40 contract and quit afterwards when they were out of option 4 since both include airborne school.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 25, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Can officers reclass like enlisted can?

I never understood the hate for ADA, like cavalry squadrons/19Ds I can understand because they are gay as gently caress about everything ever and deserve their reputation, but ADA is so universally reviled it's kind of funny. (disclaimer: never worked or interacted with ADA outside of gawking at an Avenger calling it a mechwarrior)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Cole posted:

i'm out of the mil so i think your question about two bowls of poo poo is stupid

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It Came From Facebook:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

Ohhhhh yeah. Except it's power lines.

SGMs lose their goddamn minds though, so it's basically a way of loving everyone in the area with lovely details and bullshit punishments for the next week after you're gone.

The best part is that they are deployed right now so that's probably a good sized chunk of rear-D that left. Or it was one dude who never foresees needing boots ever again.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

Is there going to be a midnight release of scorpion camo

I preordered the early access scorpion uniform but all I got was a blank tan jacket with no pants

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

An idiot in my platoon has pretty much guaranteed that those of us living in the barracks will now have a poo poo ton more room inspections. Normally, I just throw on a movie or some music during those, but I want to try something different. I'm thinking that I'll have a nasheed playing, change my computer background to the ISIS flag, and have Chrome open to a bunch of jihadi looking sites. The problem I have though, is figuring out which sites would look the worst, without getting too carried away with it. Any suggestions?

There's definitely a right way to do something, and definitely the exact wrong way to do something and I feel this may be tending more towards the latter. Post trip report.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The Downfall posted:

Oh my god, I loving hate Fort Polk.

The only decent part about this post is my unit 1/509th which has to be the chillest unit. The only decent part of Polk is Alexandria which is an hour away.

People actually live in Alexandria? I thought it was a ghost town. Even GIS of Alexandria, Louisiana has like no pictures of the city that have people in it... :tinfoil:

We arrived on a Sunday which I guess is the LORD'S DAY OF REST down there so the bus drive from the airport through town to Polk was eerie.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

Something like 2 or 3 class 2s and you're recycled or recommended for dismissal. Usually it's things like a negligent discharge or having your phone when you aren't supposed to during basic phase or during a class.

I'm willing to bet they won't actually give you a "class 2 violation" but not cleaning your weapon spotless.

Run that bitch under some hot water like everyone else does in basic to get it clean enough for them, gently caress it, not your gun good enough for government work

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

Scouts are second only to infantry for contributing to making the army a miserable bunch of gently caress dumb.

debatable which is first gayest

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Benning puts on the Master Gunnery course right? Seems like the first course I'd aim for if I was an armor officer, at least it would be the most applicable next to ARC.

I always heard rumors that master gunnery can land you a sweet gig with General Dynamics afterwards but I doubt they'd hire someone just because they know how to shoot big gun gud.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Effort post mode: it pisses me off that this is the prevailing attitude in the military. It exists in other worlds, certainly, but not to the extent that Joe has done to conceal his expertise.

Well yeah, you get all the fun of having extra responsibility with none of the recognition or benefits. Maybe if they treated it like how in concentration camps being the warden's housemaid let you sneak little bits of bread out or something. Platoon RTOs go home at 3 every day, armorers get a TV with cable and can chill in the vault all day, etc

They saw my ASVAB score and I was made platoon RTO like the second week I got to my unit. Sure was fun watching Joe Rifleman be able to chill the gently caress out making sand tables and fingerpainting while I was about to rip my hair out trying to figure out why the 117F wasn't talking and got all of 2 minutes to eat dinner before a training mission while everyone else was already in the trucks.

I never got the obsession with not being allowed to ranger roll PCs and such. It's like people actively want the uniform to look gay and stupid when it doesn't need to. Why do a bunch of fascists in the 40's get uniforms designed by a high-end fashion designer but we get uniforms made by blind people???

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 20, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

basic makes you really gay, and not in the homosexual way

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

Lifting weights in a swoldering hot room where half the people are wearing nothing but tan underwear is pretty homosexual tbh.

Only if you aren't comfortable with your own sexuality :q:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

WHOA :siren: PROBLEMATIC WORD

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

I feel that the best compromise to women going through ranger school is to declare all ranger units irrelevant and deactivate them, with all their funding to go to helicopters, drones, and hellfire missiles. You know, things that will actually make an impact instead of sitting around and telling each other how awesome they are, dreaming of the days when they were kind of relevant 60 years ago.

You end up learning most of the poo poo as an 11B anyway with how gay the culture is for anything ranger so they should just make ranger school be the second half of OSUT and just call it Advanced Infantry School or something. Isn't that sort of what the Marines do anyway?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

the wearout date for my ACUs was 4 JAN 2014

my ets date :smug:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

White Chocolate posted:

Way off topic but I'm buying all the stuff that I am going to pack for JRTC and here is my list:
Sunflower seeds(I don't dip or smoke)
A case of kill cliff(energy drink)
Beef Jerky
Baby Wipes

What else should I bring for the wonderful summer weather? (I'm assuming that I may be able to get ice at some point in time.) To be clear I am in the brigade support element as far to the rear as the exercise gets

If your unit isn't led by loving assholes and lets you use it there's actually a decently stocked PX there with a Pizza Hut and barber. The PX even has beer iirc. Also there's an MWR with TV and internet just down the road, and next to that a big civilian-run DFAC where Geronimo eats. Normally they don't like it when rotation dudes eat there but we slipped in a few times, it's lightyears better than the dfacs you are supposed to eat at. I am pretty sure the poo poo they serve at those "dfacs" are the same rations they serve out of MKTs, despite also being ran by civilians.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 4, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

No gently caress you I'm not saluting you you're his wife

Hey man she saw some wife get saluted on TV and she wants you to be the mook background extra in her exciting life

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Is it pronounced pogg or pogue? I've heard both, pogg with a hard G just sounds so weird.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

Why the gently caress would people do that?

Because afaik even if option 4 (airborne) contracts run out, you could still get option 40 (RASP) which came with airborne school.

Pre-RASP was a clusterfuck before they made that change, I wonder how different it is now.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

I read a book a while back that said that for the Vietnam draft, because there was so many dudes that just didn't want to be there, they want to this TOTAL CONTROL 100% ADHESION TO RULES YES ESPECIALLY THE STUPID ONES abortion that we've got now. The problem being that we didn't change back.

I don't believe it, I'm sure the army has been gay forever, and the people in charge are the turds that put up with it that long because they are terrified of the real world. As they should be.

My grandpa was in the Army around the time of the Korean War, and he said he hated that part of his life the most. It might have more to do with the fact he lived in a quonset hut at a tiny-rear end Greenland radar post than the Army being gay at the time, though. He died before I was in so I never got to ask him about the gayness of the Army then vs now.

Back then though even if everyone was cool to each other and did things in a common-sense way, you still had to live in those bigass bays with everyone else and only had foot/wall lockers to store your poo poo vs the single man studio apartments with walk-in closets we have now. What was a young enlisted man to do back then when he wanted to rail out some townie girl in the barracks?

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 28, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mike-o posted:

No, scouts are way more loving gay than infantry in behavior. Take infantry retardedness, and amp the motard up to 11. Example: giant fuckoff sign on cav scout batallions hq reads "IF YOU AINT CAV YOU AINT poo poo". That was on my base in Germany. The cowboy cosplay is just icing on the cake.

they might as well make the duty uniform for cav scouts be realtree because they're all loving the whitest of hicks, at least the infantry is mostly middle/upper middle class white boys and mexicans

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

Woah. Where the gently caress did you grow up that anybody in the military are considered mostly middle/upper middle class?

Maybe my unit was a fluke, but most all the dudes came from legitimately pretty decent backgrounds. That doesn't preclude them from being idiots; several were college E4s, one was an electrical engineer and another was a business major with a management background. Our unit (an infantry company in an airborne RSTA squadron) tended to be a dumping ground for RASP/SFAS flunkies, so that might have weeded out the undesirables a bit better.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

As much as I hated being a scout, it made complete sense to give it to them. For reals, most of ARC is in scout OSUT, and the rest is taught at your first duty station. Well, so they tell me, I never went to scout OSUT. But you pick it all up in the day to day of being a big dumb scout.

Has everyone forgotten RSLC is a thing?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Carteret posted:

Besides stuff like the MILES gear for Strykers and poo poo, has anyone actually seen stuff made after '91?

If you found a laser that you didn't have to 5/50 cord and 100 mph tape to your rifle because it was so worn out and busted, I'd call you a goddamn lair.

The poo poo they give out at JRTC seems pretty new-production. That doesn't stop them from somehow registering a blue-on-blue kill on someone 2 feet to the left and behind the muzzle. Jury is out on whether it was lovely MILES equipment or the fact that the person who got killed was the LT.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It sure doesn't seem that way here. Over the past few months, I've been getting more and more letters, phone calls, and the like. Today, out of the blue, two dudes rang my doorbell and said, "Hey, want to be an officer??" :lol:

The local reserve retention NCO tried to add me on Facebook and then showed up to my house. Apparently there are "lots of deployments for different units to different places" coming up.

From what I hear there are some deployments to not-middle-east, but I like raking in pell grants and BAH while learning calculus too much to deploy as a not-11B doing god knows what.

re: typos, back in 2010 or so there was one of those official brown federal installation signs with a typo at Ft. Benning, can't remember what for but it was peak Army at the time when I saw it. I'd imagine it would surely have been fixed by now...

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 22, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I hope congress makes it mandatory for recruiters to be armed so every morning they have to drive an hour to the armory to sign out an M9 and every night when they get off to turn it in, making the work day that much more inconvenient

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

Yeah, but no one really gives a poo poo about ranger, airborne, master fitness, master gunner, or any of that poo poo except if you're in those groups, or it matters in some way to your job at your rank.

We had 3 ranger tabs in my last unit, as a big dumb cav scout. 2 were useless and one was great, but the tab was inconsequential. if they were looking to get into a ranger unit, then go right ahead, but none of them were so it was entirely irrelevant except for a few promotion points. Now, if you were sitting around in an infantry unit I'm sure it means something, but if you are expecting a bunch of dudes who just want to spout off about women ruining the sausage fest, well, that just gets in the way of trying to be relevant. Don't need details when you are busy trying to be a big shot.

In the infantry it's pretty much mandatory if you are an officer.

When did they start allowing women in airborne school? Granted it's not the same a straight up allowing women into regiment (if they ever went that far) but surely there was some backlash about women paratroopers back in the day.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

So the chucklefuck who granted himself supreme power over this mission (with no ones approval) wants to move the dudes who are taking Security+ classes and testing into open bays, and have then pull KP with no assist for some loving MP unit doing AT.

I'm not a general but wouldn't predeployment training, especially poo poo that costs the state $2.6k a Joe for a no bullshit cert take precedence over washing dishes for professional Buddy fuckers to play Army for two weeks?

I wouldn't be so pissed off if it weren't for the fact that the only reason we're doing this dumb bullshit is because this E6 wants a loving bullet on a NCOER at the expense of the only unit that will put up with his bullshit.

He's been fighting with our instructors over petty poo poo, got into a shouting match with an E4 in front of everyone (and lost), and has rolled over for any other unit that has passed through because he had no authority over anything.

gently caress this gay mission, gently caress the Army, gently caress you SSG suck my dick from the back.

If someone were to fail, write your congressman about fraud/waste/abuse :v:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

psydude posted:

Remember that officers serve indefinitely. So even if your IRR obligation time is up, you're still in the IRR until you transfer back to a TPU/IMA position in the Army Reserve or formally resign your commission.

Is this the case for like 90 year old dudes who just sorta forgot about the Army entirely and never resigned their commission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

buttfuckery

looking forward to this followup

• Locked thread