Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acidia
Oct 31, 2012
So I felt like doing something nice for the holidays and went to donate blood at the ASBP bank. I've done this a dozen times so I was just whipping through the paperwork when I hit something new, a "CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN RESEARCH" agreement to test Zika virus protocols. Asked the attendant if there was anything to worry about and she just said that it was an extra test vial to fill and they would track the donation ID to determine if the blood was positive. I had a couple of minutes so I skimmed over the rest...

"Personnel from the sponsor, Roche Molecular Systems, Inc. and its consultants will be visiting the research facility to monitor the conduct of the study. They will review your study records and your medical records for this purpose. These people may look at your records to make sure the study has been done the right way. They also want to make sure that your health information has been collected the right way, or for other reasons that are allowed under the law."

A few paragraphs later...

"Your health information may be shared with authorized representatives of the following groups:
[Bunch of DOD organizations and the FDA]
-Roche Molecular Systems, Inc. and their representatives
-Local Preventive Medicine or Community Health Office and applicable state and local health departments as listed below:
[DoD address table]

Health information that has been shared may be re-disclosed by the recipient of the information. These other organizations may then share your health information with others without your permission.

You do not have to sign this Authorization. If you decide not to sign, it will not affect your eligibility for benefits or your relationship with the Armed Services Blood Bank Center - [Location], however you will not be able to participate in this research study or donate today.

There is no expiration date for this authorization."

As worded, this contract gives Roche Molecular Systems indefinite access to my medical records and permission to distribute or sell them to any one they want??? Oh, since I skipped signing I wasn't fit to donate blood and apparently hate FREEDOM.

I wanted to ask IG if this was as screwed up as it seems but they were already gone for the weekend. I don't have anything hidden in my medical files but I'd be pissed if I had something like mental health therapy or two cases of the clap after getting married in there... every major employer or insurance provider is going to be curious since you freely waved your HIPAA rights by releasing the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread