Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
As a former commissioned officer in the united states army I would just like to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

stevenolson88 posted:

Even as an officer...when I get out I want to work construction or be a bartender for a little bit until I jump into something bigger.

Um you can draw this out for 3+ years pretty successfully, let's get a drink and I will tell you all about it bruh

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

gently caress you got mine

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Ask me about the 3 fat army soldiers I saw in uniform on a Saturday at Tilted Kilt

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Master Bateman posted:

Every time I have a job on Schofield I get all nostalgic. Then I remember that the army is gay as gently caress.

How is that new job going anyway?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Figures the guy who can actually do what he was asked to do / said he would do is the one to get singled out against his worthless peers

useless islands

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Suntan Boy posted:

If the army can take something as simple and fun as shooting guns at a range, and turn it into the godawful boring clusterfuck that it typically is, it can sure as hell gently caress up a good idea like the WTU.

I mean, it's super lovely, but I'm not surprised.

I don't know if you're referring to a rifle range or Afghanistan but I guess it applies equally to each.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

stevenolson88 posted:

Do nobles get any portion of a GI Bill even if they received an ROTC scholarship?

When they get out that is...

Time towards GI bill credit begins accruing after minimum active service obligation. So, 3 years (ocs or ROTC w/no scholarship); 4 years (ROTC w federal) scholarship; 5 years (USMA).

Theres a thread for this.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

NTT posted:

of course, im a gay army man

thread title

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Whoever loving thought 120 fresh commissionees straight out of college with a new officer's paycheck in a single dorm was a good idea was retardedgenius

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

It was so impressively pointless that the army actually canned the entire program. That's amazing in and of itself.

The logic is off, here. It was pointless but they couldn't justify a decade of studies and reevaluations into its effectiveness because you can't spread the manufacturing of parts for the BOLC II assembly line across multiple congressional districts.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Kneejerk response to lieutenants graduating signal and logistics schools with zero ability to personally perform, look for, or enforce things like "reading a map" and "cleaning weapons".

After my BOLC iteration I learned the source of the problems originated much earlier in the pipeline

in the recruiter's office

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

As annoying as it was to be an artillery officer in an infantry unit, I felt way worse for the tab-less infantry guys. They received hourly "lol why are you here shitbag" reminders from all sources, E2 to O5. D co was of course the hugbox for the tab-less folks, same as the fat junior NCOs and unpopular senior NCOs hated by all, but totally un-fireable in the light infantry days of the late 00's. We had an armorer try to eat his way out of a deployment but he worked too hard at his job to really commit to getting chaptered.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Pesticide20 posted:

Truer words have never been spoken about a D co in light infantry

The crappy part is the D co mission in LI requires some brains, and a lot of the joes there had that (relatively speaking), but words like "this makes more sense let's do it this way" induced vessel-bursting rage in our CO who heard it all as "FAT FAT LAZY BAD SOLDIER RANGER WASHOUT FAT ACTUALLY DOES LEG DAY AT THE GYM FAT"

edit- I was in a task-organized rifle company that swapped one platoon with D co

edit 2- that D co commander later got an OTH or general for getting ratted out / not being popular whileallowing detainee abuse

Zeris fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 30, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

HHC - Duh
A, B, C - rifle companies
D - Heavy weapons / AT (M2/Mk19/TOW)
E - Logistics

As an FSO I was technically part of HHC along with my fisters but we reported/lived/slept/farted with our line company. I developed a bad attitude towards HHC authority and everyone let me get away with it. This did not serve me well, down the road, as a squadron S2.

This is the same for both infantry battalions in light and air assault (lol) BCTs. I can't speak for airborne or heavy obviously.
E co is technically part of the BSB. Across all BCTs, E and F support respective infantry battalions, G goes to the artillery battalion. This was one of the shittier parts of BCT task org. The support companies effectively had 2 parent units, one for promotion/professional development/mentoring, and one that made their lives hell every time support wasn't delivered flawlessly.

I forget which supports the cav troop. Who cares.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 30, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

BaconAndBullets posted:

Airborne infantry battalions are setup exactly like light infantry, they're just dumb enough to exit "perfectly good" aircraft.

At least they don't redesignate themselves air assault and jerk off to black & white memories of having once had that role

BAND OF BROTHERS
-every change of commander speech in the 101st ever

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Must be nice to have a combat star on your air assault bad...ohhhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

:rolleyes: I can't believe I am responding to this with a serious reply but approximately zero GWOT combat drops had any merit beyond the extra rectal star-shaped scarring inside some GO who pinned his badge to the tip of his All American buttplug

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, but did you drive a Gator off the back of that Chinook? :smug:

But did you watch your buddy's Apache guntape footage of the gator lose traction and fall down the mountain

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Fart

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Zeris posted:

Everyone bailed and got to fly home on the shithook so it was funny :)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

That video is not from the Wardak shootdown.

I took a few joyrides & collection trips up and down the Konar, Pech, etc. and while it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen (ground and air), the surface to air poo poo was always on my mind.

I felt worst for the canadian cargo helicopter dudes, because I'd give them what basic intel I could and basically apologize for the subtextual message that if any Talibans put their minds towards shooting down em down, they were gonna do it.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Secdef visits drum to announce1250 from 1st bct headed to Iraq

Secdef has a way with words:

quote:

"Some of you are recently back from Afghanistan. Some of you are off again to Afghanistan," Carter said. "And some of you — and this is important — will be going to Iraq, to train, advise and assist the Iraqi security forces so that they can be the force that sustains the defeat of ISIL after ISIL is defeated, which it will be. But in order to sustain that defeat, we need a force on the ground, and that's what you'll be helping to create."

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

lol at promotion boards, someone threw O-3 rank at me with 36 months TIS because I hadn't gotten a DUI/KIA yet

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

god i loved shaving after a flight from kuwait or germany or whatever

war? what war?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Equine Don posted:

This is how the next few years of your life will work.

And by the time you have acclimated you'll be a civilian again and will hate everyone that doesn't think like you now think

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

You may also be buying boots that are too big. I wear a size 13 shoe, but I wear a size 11 and a half boot.

Same here. Shoe to boot size goes way down.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Fire suppression in a M1151 went off on the eastern afghanistan 8' wide switchbacks and I was like fuuuuuuuuuuck :( til we figured out what it was

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

MegaJoe89 posted:

Intel is supposed to be intelligent people wtf

So when do you ship out

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

MegaJoe89 posted:

I am from another country here on a GOODWILL TRAINING MISSION,I am an Intel analyst in my country. I go home next week, I am confident these people with high level clearance could be bribed with World of Warcraft and Hentai. Its kind of sad really....the navy VBSS guys are much cooler and much much much less retarded
But I swear if people keep asking me about pasta and I'm going to scream. And no were not offended by Mario and Luigi gently caress!
That and the folks at DLI when I went for a course 4 years ago, they were mostly okay.

new gip mouseover text n4I hey n4I hey

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

MegaJoe89 posted:

Ugh I really wanna get into that LTs calzoni now...

(Calzoni means trousers lol)

Doughy folds opening into a gooey cheesy pocket with tender salty chunks of meat and spinach... That's not pants bruh

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

It's like you don't even know me :(

Edit yes it was ref some field grilled cheese jesus gip get back in the gutter with me

Zeris fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 24, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Rip and rasp are the old and present (as of like 2011) courses you attend before joining the 75th. 2nd hand as well that rasp is basically a gentleman's course because they do their weeding out somewhere else along the pipeline.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

suicide bi cop posted:

aviation is still better than any other branch ive encountered (tied maybe with amedd)

Cool have you tried any of the other ones

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

2lt + Sharpie = 1lt

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Delizin posted:

lol at the Army trying to address the concerns of crazy people who think Jade Helm is a coup against Texas. Now they are sending LtCols to town hall meetings with people too stupid to understand what is going on.

http://www.occupydemocrats.com/watch-paranoid-texas-lunatics-harass-an-army-colonel-with-texas-takeover-conspiracies-2/

I wish I could have been there to point out that LTC's US ARMY nametape backwards stands for Yes My Retarded rear end Signed Up, I would be the star of the show

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

I wonder if there's actually a net gain in cigarette butts on the ground whenever you send Joes to clean up a parking lot.

:peanut:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

uh, because whats the point of being a noble if you have to do real work

duh

Do it once and repeat the story ad nauseum so people think you're a lead-from-the-front kinda guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

Being a PL is like the only good officer job, other than maybe some cool/obscure functional area stuff like foreign area officer that you can't get until you're O4.

I had a semi-decent gig as an FSO while deployed to OEF, except my CO was one of those dictator types to his Os and senior NCOs. He'd scream "gently caress YOU" at me or others halfway through a conversation in the TOC in front of everyone. Halfway through deployment he was going to swap out; my incoming commander was super chill and I was very eager to work with him. He had already given me my initial counseling; then an IED tore up his truck and sent him home w/ severe TBI & amnesia, killed some of our guys, and I realized this was a stupid loving war and there was no point in caring about anything except going home.

• Locked thread