Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I found half an hour with GiP stickies threads more informative than every separation briefing combined. Still went to every single one because gently caress the army, and double gently caress Worst Cav, but being there was about as helpful as a SGM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Pesticide20 posted:

Right? gently caress ACAP. gently caress the army.

It's like every single other thing in the Army. You are punished for competence. In this case your punishment is endless briefings that are worthless to you because you have already done the planning and worthless to the people that won't do the planning anyway. Sure bet it looked good on someone's ORB though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

NTT posted:

fuk i have to be at dril at an hour ama

questions should concern my sexual preferences thanks in advance

What questions could be left to ask? You're going to drill, everyone knows you take green weenie up the butt.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Never once did I have a weapon turn in on the first try. 'Oh there's carbon in the chamber, oh I saw something in the barrel, oh you didn't get enough CLP in the mechanism' on and on the excuses went. I was suspicious at first, then it was confirmed when we drew weapons, got to the field training exercise site and everyone locked up their weapons in a trailer so we could have paintball guns and face masks issued. Never fired a shot through my weapon but it was rejected for having 'carbon in the chamber'. Fortunately I had a first-line who wasn't poo poo at his job (in an AIT platoon no less!) and he told the arms room guy to get loving bent, hard, then sit on it and rotate before god drat well taking the weapon and if he didn't like it call his loving supervisor.

Or the first-line was terrible at his job and just wanted weapons turned in as fast as possible so he could drink away the pain, but really when it comes to the Army that actually is being good at your job.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

suicide bi cop posted:

what do you guys think is the worst/most unbearable type of unit? i.e. tradoc, infantry, armored, artillery, aviation, etc.

edit: if you have some mos that only allows you to be in one type of unit, replace type of unit with military post

I'm torn between TRADOC, because being based there as a real unit and not just passing through for AIT would be absolutely miserable, or Cav because, well, loving Cav.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Reach for the stars, DLI. I was in a super long, nerdy AIT but all we had was weeaboos and bronies. Gotta have goals I guesss.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If anyone is being serious about saying a regulation about dwell time will get you out of something the commander wants I'm rather impressed at your optimism. Anything like that has a skazillion and a half loopholes because gently caress you and the only thing that really matters is how bad someone up the food chain wants you to go. If they want it bad enough they'll find the paper work to cram that green weenie so far up your rear end you'll brush your teeth with it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Grossly incompetent doesn't begin to describe it

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

benem posted:

Heard that the rotational brigades coming to Korea are going to be totally restricted to post, under GO1, not allowed to take passes, etc. Anyone confirm/deny?

Wouldn't actually mind coming back here, but that would blow pretty hard.

Aren't they doing Foal Eagle about now or something? I kinda remember it happening around this time. Or someone raped another juicy/got stabbed by another local/ran over another little girl/attacked another protest group. What I'm saying is being under GO1 is just a thing that happens there. A lot.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kiryen posted:

You done been hosed over.

Well yes, but we're talking about this situation specifically not just having joined the NG.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Geirskogul posted:

I already have done that for days.

gently caress it I'll shave in the "head" and sleep in the autopilot vending machine lounge again

Do they not have a USO there? They're pretty used to seeing dudes catching a deep dicking from the green weenie and will help out with all the stupid poo poo you need like razors so you don't look like you were flying after you were flying and a space to sleep when you're not flying for a few days because of orders fuckery.

Go ahead, ask me how I know. I dare you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

not caring here posted:

Meaning that fuckers still have no idea what the real problem is.

Army gonna army!

That was the part that jumped out at me too but I guess I'm more cynical and attribute things to malice before stupidity. I figures they know pretty well how the lovely environment fucks everything up and just don't care, they wanted to make a political point about how someone else is responsible for their problem and they need more money as a fix.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If someone is living in the barracks their life sucks enough already.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
God drat did I ever time things right. In at 2008 when every fuckup with a pulse was around to keep much of the heat off me, out at 2012 before garrison fuckery infected everything, everywhere. It really is glorious to watch the implosion. More articles about this mysterious phenomenon of brain drain and talent flight to the private sector please. My schadenfreude boner can still get bigger.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've never seen a group of people stress the laws of physics by disappearing up their own assholes in an effort to huff their farts as hard as First Cav. I say that only because I had no direct interaction with 82nd assholes, so they're probably a tie there. Cav units feel like the helmet-wearing, window-licking special kids of the army to me. "WE'LL HAVE ANOTHER BATTLE OF THE BULGE ANY DAY NOW, I'M STILL RELEVANT".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

Nobody cares about your reading list.

Why, why in the gently caress are these allowed to exist? Jesus loving tapdancing christ on a pogo stick, NOBODY GIVE A SIDEWAYS FLYING gently caress ABOUT YOUR READING LIST.

These things infuriated me merely by existing. I get steadily less and less coherent in my ranting about them because they piss me off much more than they should, even as I soak up GI Bill benefits, get fat and refuse to shave. I'm done, they shouldn't bother me anymore. They really shouldn't but I guess it's an echo of frustrations passed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The kneeling unsupported part of qualifying was loving horrible for me. God, the pain in my knees from staying in that position. I could set it aside while I had a task in front of me and never had a problem qualifying, the rest of that day was loving shot though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

NTT posted:

apply butt to left ankle

proceed to have stable base

e; alternatively wrap your sling around your non firing arm and then use your wrist to press up onto the bottom of your barrel to create tension so you don't have to just hold your weapon up

Shooting wasn't the issue. Like I said I didn't have a problem qualifying. The issue was all the running loving up any joints from the waist on down making shooting in that position really painful on my knees. Did it, just sucked for the rest of the day every time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm more laughing at the butt hurt poo poo heads that are going to be running the poo poo-show now. They've been hiding in TRADOC or some other CONUS job, absolutely desperate to not be in the real Army doing any actual missions and sucking the dick of anything that comes into their field of vision with rank. Now they're in control and people half their rank rightfully look at them like they're worthless pieces of poo poo and this is the only response they have.

Peace time Army y'all, Chandler was only the beginning.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

That's loving retarded horseshit

Sooooo...Army?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ogrel72 posted:

Its the Army, so still a clusterfuck.

But is it a clusterfuck with HEART? That's what really matters.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It was loving dumb. If he absolutely had to have his picture with perfect lighting in a studio he should have brought it all in a duffle bag and changed in the studio. Nobody would have even looked twice once he was standing in front of the camera. Strolling through the parking lot like that makes me wonder how much of the 'tism he has because that is seriously out-of-touch.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So what did she really do and who did it piss off? That poo poo goes on all the time, no way that was the reason for a head hunt.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
MILES gear feels like one of those long-running financial scams where the manufacturer and deliverer are working together with whoever is in control of the payments for the organization. They don't even put half a flying gently caress of effort into shipping the product and the guy signing for payment gets a kickback for saying "Yeah, sure, they fulfilled the contract. Mostly."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I worked on a plane that had a service tag on it that said it was built in '61.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Flikken posted:

Other than the c-17 and raptor fleet are there any other aircraft in the USAF not older than their maintainers?

Air Force maybe. This was Army fixed wing so you can be god drat sure it was ancient.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Since when have the Reserves gotten so desperate for bodies as to make house calls? :wtf:

I've got barely a year on IRR and the reserves are still mailing me poo poo trying to get me to sign up. I've just mentally filed it away as institutional inertia. Really can't see them being desperate for people with so many having active duty contracts not renewed and the like.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Crazy Mike posted:

So what you all are hinting at is... I should switch from guard to reserves for a better chance at getting my gold bar?

If that's the flavor of green weenie you like for your deep dicking sure, I guess? Probably not gonna work out in your favor, but again green weenie so what possibly could?
(dont do it just serve your time and get out)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

"For the record, you're supposed to fill out X form to get your address changed in RLAS." Motherfucker, nobody at the company level does that poo poo, ever, because all you're going to do is copy it off of the form into the system and we have this amazing thing called email now that lets me send an electronic letter to you with the very information you need.

Brigade is so gay. It's where senior NCOs go to die.

Think about this: Things like paperwork poo poo are going to continue getting worse for years because peace time Army.

This has been your daily demotivational thought public service announcement. Have a nice day!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've been telling every person that brings up the ARM ARE TROOPS poo poo how bad, how really, really bad an idea it is. It's going to be a flaming catastrophe wrapped in a clusterfuck covered with a tragedy and tied together by a poo poo-fest bow. People are still trying to tell me I'm wrong. I don't much like pulling the "I'm a vet, you have no idea" card but I've been doing it constantly on this issue and I'm still somehow wrong. Armed standing military in the general civilian population is such an unbelievably bad idea there are no words.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr_Ruckus posted:

I find it kind of funny that the people who say we should arm recruiters and such are usually (at least around here) the same people who are freaking out about Jade Helm. I don't know how one minute you can worry about the military taking over or whatever the hell they're scared of, then the next minute complain about how members of the same military aren't armed in their offices.

Obama did a thing, and then he didn't do a different thing. Obama bad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not understanding the Army supply system is hardly a personal failing. Even magic or the force has some kind of internal consistency most times. Army supply just makes no loving sense and I'm not entirely convinced it operates in the same set of dimensions as the reality we interact with.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
As someone who had an MOS whose points never dropped below 798 the whole time I was in and was really mad about it for the longest time it makes me very happy that my immediate, unfiltered reaction to that was "AHAHAHA, gently caress ALL OF YOU WHO ARE STILL IN"

I'm well on the way to purging all the dumb poo poo the Army did from my memory, and now I can laugh at the suffering of others.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ace of Baes posted:

Anyone have any advice for apt shopping near a post? Moving to carson in a few months and looking at apts online and they all seem to have terrible reviews or end up being email scams.

A pretty good rule for all of those situations is to get outside the gate, start driving and don't stop for at least half an hour. AT LEAST. Then start looking. All the landlords inside that radius know the score and will gently caress you raw dog style because they're aiming to rent to stupid 18 year old newlyweds with BAH burning a hole in their pocket, and that is who your neighbors will be.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The Army, piling poo poo down hill until everything breaks and the people at the bottom get screwed? Why I never!

(Still, hang all nobles)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I see it as a minor victory that the "ask us about joining" thread has been completely silent for a month excepting one numbnut that didn't know what he was doing.

And yes I will make fun of you for years to come Aranan.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hey now, there's a spectrum of this retardation. Joined, re-upped, went lifer. Some people don't go full retard on this military thing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I was a full time EMT for a few years and loved the job. I really enjoy doing emergency response and holding things together when everything is a swirling poo poo storm around you. If I could actually do that I wouldn't mind doing the part time soldier gig. I know the Army though and the retarded dumb fuckery is baked so hard into the culture I know it's not worth all the bullshit that would come with that decision. It kinda makes me sad that I can't just do the job and have that be enough. Oh no, it would be just like Fidel said, E5 packets before you ETS because those are the orders! gently caress your clearing papers I have a box in excel that's the wrong color! Orders? Who the gently caress cares about your orders we have oh-gently caress-thirty formation tomorrow and you need to be there three hours early because every step of the chain says on time is late.

In short, thank you so much for still being in and letting me laugh at your pain so I can resist the.temptation to subject myself to more of it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is this going through AKO? That thing was a mind-shattering poo poo show when I had to use it and a reply all feature to the entire Army is exactly what I would expect from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Icon Of Sin posted:

Unless your unit is so completely incompetent that they botch your transfer to the IRR and accidentally cancel your entire obligation, while also forgetting to transfer your commission over to the reserves. I only found out when I tried to get into a Civil Affairs unit and heard that I'd have to go through a reappointment board (which wasn't meeting for another 8 months at the time). I'm not in the IRR and don't hold a commission even if I were. gently caress you very much, Wainwright.

*ahem*

grossly incompetent doesn't begin to describe it

• Locked thread