Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Avoid CM (I speak from experience) and ADA like the plague. There are literally no redeeming qualities to these branches

Finance, Signal, MI and the Logistic (ordnance, transportation, and quartermaster) branches suck, but you have the opportunity to parlay that into a decent career. Although Signal and MI stand much higher than the others.

Medical Services I'd imagine are pretty chill and have some connections for hospital admin work on the outside. I don't know anyone in it though so that's all conjecture on my part.

If you plan on staying in and trying to get as much rank as possible combat arms has the most mobility. It is also the most soul crashing, particularly given the wind down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
My last unit actually had one of the companies pac clerks steal like 20 socials (if I remember correctly it was all the females in the BN) on her way out of the Army. She did the whole stolen identity thing and started cranking through credit cards. Last I heard she was still running around the south with a few people's identities.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
And brush up on investigations because every dude getting out will claim he lost all of his stuff prior to clearing despite selling it to the local pawnshop.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
In non-property loss news, my buddy forwarded me this Washington Post article about sexual harassment/assault in the military. I was a little too pleased to see my old boss's deer in the headlights command photo. I'm glad to hear he is doing a stint in jail even if he isn't in a registry.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/12/19/in-the-war-against-sexual-assault-the-army-keeps-shooting-itself-in-the-foot/

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
He was the BC of 83d CM. I only worked for him for 6 months but he was a racist, sexist, lying piece of poo poo. The fact that he got off as easy as he did is infuriating, but at least he got some jail time.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I mainly lurk but I too am an idiot that is still in. The Army offered my graduate school at Georgetown and am too stupid to turn it down and say SMDFTB. Maybe in another three years I won't be so hard up in Stockholm Syndrome to break free.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

has anyone gotten arrested from 83d lately? Place sure was toxic for a CBRN defense unit :chuckle:

I'm not CBRN anymore thankfully, but funny you should mention...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/12/19/in-the-war-against-sexual-assault-the-army-keeps-shooting-itself-in-the-foot/

Guy on the left (Michael D. Kepner II) was the BC after you left. He tried to rape a LT on a TDY. The story I heard from the XO of the battalion was;

He got caught on camera in the hallway of an off post hotel grabbing the LT by her throat and shoving her into her hotel room. She fought him off, ran down stairs to the lobby, and called the police. He only copped to regular assault and battery and is serving 4 years (as of October 2015) in Leavenworth.

Within a day of meeting that douche I knew he was trouble. He had two IG investigations, one of which I filed behalf of one of my Soldiers, prior to this incident.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I've never seen it outside of an official ceremony or some other official capacity in the 13 years I've been in. I have seen a few weirdos wear capes.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Really credit cards are only a part of credit. My credit score jumped substantially when I purchased my first home. Unless you are in a crazy inflated market (DC, Tristate, Bay Area, etc) it is usually beneficial to buy if you are going to be in the area for more than a few years. This is especially true buying the shittiest house in a good neighborhood. I made quite a bit by buying a short sale in Savannah only putting in new flooring, appliances, and a fresh coat of paint.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I've always seen people equate women as either a bitch or slut in the military. If you have any kind of personality or friendliness as a woman, you are obviously sleeping your way to the top. If you avoid being personal and just do your job well then you are cold hearted bitch. It's really crazy to watch people not be able to identify a woman as a person.

It's actually really sad to see how women in the military react if you just talk to them like another person, not flirting or being condescending to them. I had a reputation as the dude that slept with every woman in my battalion, which was horrible toxic and sexist (as in my old BC is in jail for assault), simply because I acted like abnormal human being to women. That made a lot of the female soldiers come to me with their work problems to see if I could help or at least listen. Hell the plaque I got when I left called me "The Battalion Stallion" despite never talking to any of the soldiers outside of my office or regular work hours.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Get ready for people to insinuate that poo poo to your significant other. I had that Commander mention to my wife that I had women stopping by my office all day. Luckily I've been married for going a decade so my wife knows I'm not a POS so she brushed it off, but if it was earlier in our relationship I think it would have caused major issues.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
CPOF isn't used because everyone wants their own proprietary stuff. Hell I just finished a deployment this summer and I was using no less than 4 systems at any one time to do my job. It got even worse because I had to work with State and they have their own set of problems beyond how they report stuff.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Huh. It's been a bit since I've seen it but I work under USASOC, so I everyone blows their budget on their own personal poo poo that rarely works with other systems.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I have a lot of friends who went to both Academies and I like to point out my school beat Navy this year. If they reacted like normal human beings it wouldn't be half as fun.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Iraq and Afghanistan all depend on location in the country. I was right north of Balad and did clearance from Tampa to the LSA pre-trail blazer units. It was definitely a mix of 95/5 monotony to action. Meanwhile my first time to Afghanistan I was shot at probably every other, to every third day.

Iraq was substantially more stressful due to the never knowing when poo poo was going to happen and it being my first deployment. Not to mention my platoon also lost people in Iraq, but my Detachment was relatively unscathed in Afghanistan.

In my last Afghan tour, I would forget I was deployed because of the relative safety and amenities at the base I was at. Everything is relative.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
One of my old NCOs switched from the band. After hearing a few of his stories, I think it is one of the few not completely horrible jobs in the military. Anytime we would get stupid orders I would tell him how horrible of a mistake he had made reclassify.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Both seasons of Serial have been fantastic. I know season three is supposed to be about Fugazi, which seems like it could be really interesting as well. As far as Bergdahl, he definitely was unfit for duty, and it's unfortunate that he was allowed to serve, because it ultimately got Soldiers killed needlessly. I am sympathetic to the guy, as I can barely fathom being a POW of HQN, so I think he basically has time served. No additional sentencing is going to bring back the lives that were lost, and I don't believe he did any of his action with malice towards his fellow Soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
HCT I'm literally crying from flashbacks now, thanks. Now I'm going to have to go volunteer at a woman's shelter to work of the shame of being apart of that place.

As far as beret talk. I'm in an airborne unit and pretty much only wear my PC unless I'm in a formation. I've had 82d NCOs stop me to ask why I'm not wearing my beret. I usually just shrug l, put my hands in my pockets, and walk away. I can feel their impotent rage.

• Locked thread