Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Shipping to OCS tomorrow, not sure what to expect, can't seem to find any concrete info. Hoping to get a weekend pass this weekend before the class actually starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Got the pass, looks like we're for sure classing up on monday. Doesn't seem to bad, just lots of running and studying.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

HHC at OCS is weirdly chill, candidates ordering pizza and going out to subway and using their phones yet I have a sense of impending doom for when we class up.

On second thought those are really normal things to do on a Saturday. Sand Hill has warped my mind.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Apparently the company I'll be in is in the barracks by the airborn guys and uses the airborn dfac which is supposedly better than the OCS dfac.

Older barracks but closer to building 4 which is where I think most of the classes will be.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

First week of OCS down, it's not too bad, they keep you really loving busy usually though.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's just for Easter, otherwise no phone or computer for basic phase. I don't know anything about Alpha other than almost every injured recycle at HHC is from Alpha.

Were actually the first or second class to be issued govt laptops though but we don't have internet to connect them to anyway so they're really only useful when we go to building 4.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Starting intermediate phase of OCS, the FLX is the week after this coming week which shouldn't be too bad since I'm in a really squared away squad.

Personally I don't think OCS is hard at all but it can be if you're dumb, lack common sense or just a timid person. Looking forward to getting back from FLX and phasing over to senior phase and getting weekends off for the first time since January, and then finally getting that gold bar.

Doing pretty good on the OML too.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Mike-o posted:

And then promptly told to shut the gently caress up by every senior NCO when you try to tell them "that's how we did it in OCS" when you arrive at your first unit.

Haha, I'm the last person to say anything like that, especially not about OCS.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

What's you all's opinion on good officer branches? Everyone seems to be competing for MI and Engineer and a surprising number of people want Finance and ADA. After talking to recycles and people in company's that have already branched apparently infantry slots take up a quarter to one third of the available slots so a lot of people that don't want it are getting it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Nimmy posted:

Most want Finance and no one wants Infantry? What the hell? Is this common?

Apparently OCS classes these days are a bit different with almost everyone being college option and over 50% being national guard or reserve. Most of the people in my class already know their branch since they aren't active duty.

I just want to hurry up and get my branch so I know what I'll be doing for the next 3 years. Hopefully I'll find out what unit I'm going to towards the end of OCS or early on in BOLC.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Branching is at the end of intermediate phase now, each phase is roughly 4 weeks. The week after FLX is branching and the senior phase inspection.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So I had a TLP class at the maneuver center of excellence that they give to OCS and WLC and they use the WoW Leeroy Jenkins YouTube video in one of their slides. Apparently Leeroy is actually in the army and stationed here at Harmony Church right now but that could just be some bullshit the instructor told us.

I'm also interested to see if we'll break 1000 power point slides from classes by the end of OCS.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 29, 2015

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

We just call it building 4, but yeah it's plastered all over everything. Some instructors even have a little mcoe pin they wear on their acus by their name tape

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

gently caress I can't believe I have to buy new loving boots. Things aren't cheap

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

With the new pattern it will be nice to not ruin it with stains from nearly everything you touch. I don't think I have a single pair of "clean" acus left.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Rangers run around benning wearing multicam, you see them everywhere, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

OCS FTX is over, I kicked rear end there but now we have to do "recovery" for some dumb inspection. About a month until I'll be a LT.

Get my branch next Monday, hope we get some good branch choices.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I get that part, it's the day and a half time frame and class 2 violations if weapons aren't clean enough that I don't get.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Something like 2 or 3 class 2s and you're recycled or recommended for dismissal. Usually it's things like a negligent discharge or having your phone when you aren't supposed to during basic phase or during a class.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

This whole inspection prep process is a complete cluster gently caress and we are totally hosed for the inspection. Just going to enjoy cleaning my m-16, listen to some music or stand up while drinking monsters and eating like a fat kid all night

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Looks like I'll be branching armor on Monday. Tanks seem pretty cool.

Edit: though I think there's more cav scout slots for armor officers than for tanks.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 15, 2015

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

An armor captain I talked to told me that armor is the combat arms branch for guys that like to chill out, drink beer and play video games.

What exactly does armor do to your knees? My knees don't care much for rucking or taking a knee either.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

What are some of the more likely duty stations for armor officers? Have Germany, Alaska, Hawaii, Fort Lewis, Fort Carson for my top 5.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Weirdly I only wear my pt belt for pt at OCS and didn't even have one at BCT. I was expecting more PT belts from tradoc.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's official now, I'm going to be an armor officer. ABOLC looks pretty fun from the YouTube videos seen.

What are some schools I should try to get here at benning after ABOLC? I've heard good things about ARC from a couple of armor officers from 3rd ID.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm not even remotely super hooah. I actually hate the word Hooah

The NG guys in my OCS class seem exactly the opposite from the way you describe them. They're not bad or anything, but there's more turds among them then there are in AD.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Some do, some go to federal OCS. AD is only like 45% of my class. The rest is mostly NG with some reserve thrown in. Some states accept OCS applicants like active does and actually has OCS boards but some will send anyone with a pulse and a degree to OCS, they're usually the poo poo bags. Well not really poo poo bags but they don't do well here, a lot of them got recycled during the FTX for failing their squad lanes.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I've already had a West Pointer here at Benning tell some of us officer candidates that we're going to need to work hard at BOLC because we'll be going in at a disadvantage due to our merely 3 month long OCS course. How do I know this particular 2LT went to West Point? Because he made sure to tell us he went to West Point.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Already have my ABOLC date, Oct 4. So what do they have guys sitting around waiting for classes to start do? Especially for 3 and a half months.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

benem posted:

When I went through a year and an half ago, there was a tank "museum" on sand hill run by a retired marine dude that some ABOLC snowbirds worked at for a while. Seemed mostly like cleaning out rusting old M60s in an empty lot, but they said it was a fun gig if you can make it out there and see if they need any help.

I know exacctly where that is, my BCT was right next to it. Looked pretty cool, lots of old foreign stuff, will definitely try to see if I can help out there.

Snow birding for 3 months sounds pretty cool after months of BCT and OCS.

psydude posted:

You'll be spending lots of quality time with West Pointers that are in the same boat. I hope you like playing flip cup, drinking lovely beer, and listening to T-Swift!

I drank more than enough lovely beer in college, I'll have to teach those West Pointers a thing or too about good beer if they're willing to listen.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So I'm sitting here finishing my laundry and I have to say I'm really looking forward to having my own place again next month. It will be great not having to ranger roll my clothes since I can't use my drawers like a normal human being, those are only for static displays that must be inspection ready at all times. I live out of duffel bags like a hobo despite having a closet and drawers.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Anyone know any decent places for a 2LT to live at off post outside Benning? I considered living on post but I heard they're pretty lovely and I'll be living here for at least a year.

Also kind of entertaining the idea of renting a house with a few other guys I know going to ABOLC.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Knocked out the OCS history exam, it was pretty easy, can't believe its one of the parts of OCS that causes some of the most recycles.

Pretty much just outpressing poo poo left to do before commissioning. Word is I'll find out my unit sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm already stuck at Benning for ABOLC, it will be depressing if I get sent down the street to 3rd ID.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Only some posts will have them on July 1st but you will be able to wear the ACU tan shirts, boots, and belts with the new uniform while they're phasing it in.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

There's probably better socks out there but Fox River socks are in like every PX here at Benning and they've worked great for me. They're thicker than the standard issue socks so bring a pair when you go trying on boots.

As far as boot brands go a few pairs of boots by Garmin and the Tactical Research Kyber IIs seem to be 2 of the most popular boots for rucking around here and are available anywhere boots are sold but no idea what might be available where you are.

Like others have said it looks like your main problem is your boots don't fit right.

Are you just walking around and getting blisters there? I've only see blisters like that on people doing ruck marches.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Will be interesting to see if anyone has the new uniform next week when I sign back in at ABOLC.

Of course Ranger Joes and Commandos has been selling multicam for a long time but I think the new uniform is slightly different somehow, ie there's a zipper on the side for the shoulder pockets instead of a Velcro flap, etc.

Only reason I want them is they actually look functional unlike ACUs, just wish I could have gotten my supplementary issue of uniforms after the new uniform was released.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So now I get to start ABOLC with the next class instead of waiting until October. Get to find out my unit sometime in the first few weeks of the course, have my fingers crossed for some place outside of the South. However apparently only a minority of armor officers are sent to tank platoons these days so chances are I'll be going to a cav scout unit. Don't really know hardly anything about cav scouts other than the poo poo talking between cav scouts and infantry on post.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Found out my unit today, a striker BDE in the 2nd ID at Fort Lewis. Looks like I'll be heading to it's RSTA squadron I'm guessing?

edit: pretty happy with going to Fort Lewis, I was hoping to go to either Fort Lewis or Fort Carson if I didn't get Germany. The other OCS guys in my class weren't so lucky with their duty stations however...

Mustang fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

2nd BDE

• Locked thread