Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any suggestions for Assetto Corsa track mods causing the game to be unresponsive? Doesn't even load.

Downloaded this one http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/watkins-glen-short-course.88295/ but the game just always crashes at the load screen :saddowns: Can't seem to find any help. the *.ini file has warnings_as_errors=0 and that's the only thing I can find on the internet. All you do is just paste the download into the tracks folder, right?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Achievement list for the steam version of rFactor

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kilonum/stats/appid/339790/achievements

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I gave up on RSRBR each time I tried to get it working right. Couldn't ever get my G27+shifter to work right, the cameras blow and I couldn't figure out the camera-hack thing. Everything felt really floaty too, just because it's rally doesn't mean tires don't sometimes... grip.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I gave up on RSRBR each time I tried to get it working right. Couldn't ever get my G27+shifter to work right, the cameras blow and I couldn't figure out the camera-hack thing. Everything felt really floaty too, just because it's rally doesn't mean tires don't sometimes... grip.

The "Next Gen Physics" pack of the latest version really helps with that floaty aspect. No matter how much you mod RBR though, it's still old as hell. Hopefully a new rally sim will come eventually.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

GhostDog posted:

The updated Brabham for rF2 is really fun.

Also, rF1 just showed up on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/339790/

Does RF1 have full support for the G27 (i.e., the shifter)? I see that it's quite an older game, which doesn't bother me unless it won't let me use the full gated shifter. If I wanted to use goddamn paddles I'd have stuck with my Logitech MOMO FF and not purchased the G27.

Similarly, I hate how in AC it forces you to use the paddles in vehicles that actually come equipped with them, instead of just letting you pretend they have a real shifter. The game lets you do the opposite and use paddles in any of the cars, of course. :jerkbag:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Yup. rF1 has full G25/7 support.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Don't know if anyone else noticed, I just noticed myself: The Dream Pack DLC for Assetto Corsa is already up for pre-order with a 33% discount. $15 is cheaper than I was expecting the pack to be, especially considering it includes the :pcgaming:laser-scanned Nordschleife:pcgaming:.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
PROJECT CARS GO GOLD ALREADY

gently caress

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

holocaust bloopers posted:

gently caress

I know right.

I'm trying hard to wait for it. But I keep getting dangerously close to buying poo poo tons of Oval content for iRacing.

I need a cheeper oval alternative whilst I wait for my single player career in road racing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

gently caress

April 2nd, but the gold announcement is still nice because it means the release date is for real this time. Project CARS has had a gran turismo 5 style development hell.

Also here is the pcars thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699304

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

osker posted:

Go to your documents folder and open Assettocorsa/cfg/video.cfg and change aa samples from zero to one. I was getting the same error a while back when I was dicking with my oculus rift settings.

This doesn't exist. There's a video.ini in the Steam folder, but changing it there doesn't work.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
I feel compelled to bring great shame to my family and intend on purchasing the $400 Fanatec CSL seat/GT3 wheel/CSR pedals bundle next week. Is it a solid setup or should I consider something else? I'm already aware that nobody will touch my penis once assembled.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

I feel compelled to bring great shame to my family and intend on purchasing the $400 Fanatec CSL seat/GT3 wheel/CSR pedals bundle next week. Is it a solid setup or should I consider something else? I'm already aware that nobody will touch my penis once assembled.

If you can swing it get the csr elite pedals. The difference is really huge in how the brake pedal feels.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

GutBomb posted:

If you can swing it get the csr elite pedals. The difference is really huge in how the brake pedal feels.

Can't bundle it with the seat unfortunately, but there's no reason I couldn't pick it up separately and it would still be cheaper than buying everything individually minus the standard CSR pedals.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I know what you're trying to say but that's kind of dumb. Yes, you can get an actual race car for the cost of a motion rig like that. But once you factor in the cost of transportation of your race car, maintenance, and other running costs, it's cheaper to have the motion rig.

Nah because you could downgrade to something like a dirtbike or an ATV or one of those caged ATV buggy things and actually race around in those as well, I think the bigger appeal of motion rigs that racing is kind of a time-intensive thing that requires a lot of travel and waiting and a motion rig bypasses all that in exchange for being an imperfect simulation. I would never make one myself though.

e: Karts too if you want to do road racing.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Control Volume posted:

Nah because you could downgrade to something like a dirtbike or an ATV or one of those caged ATV buggy things and actually race around in those as well, I think the bigger appeal of motion rigs that racing is kind of a time-intensive thing that requires a lot of travel and waiting and a motion rig bypasses all that in exchange for being an imperfect simulation. I would never make one myself though.

e: Karts too if you want to do road racing.

125cc shifter karts are the king of cheap speed, you won't get that kind of performance outside of Formula cars and they still smoke entry level stuff like Formula Fords and Vee's. Cheap tires, easy transport (I towed mine on an itty bitty trailer dragged behind my MR2), and if you autocross you're guaranteed to be the fastest thing out there. I got into a CRG frame with a Honda engine for under $3k and had a blast. Even crap states with zero non oval race tracks usually have multiple kart road courses to tear rear end around.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 7, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hey, in something like Assetto, how do you handle cars with 7 forward gears like the latest Corvette or 911 when you've only got 6 on the G27's H-shifter?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Atomizer posted:

Hey, in something like Assetto, how do you handle cars with 7 forward gears like the latest Corvette or 911 when you've only got 6 on the G27's H-shifter?

Not sure if AC supports it but in a game like Euro Truck Simulator where the truck can have 12 gears, you hit a modifier button so that your first gear becomes 7th gear and so on.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Torabi posted:

Not sure if AC supports it but in a game like Euro Truck Simulator where the truck can have 12 gears, you hit a modifier button so that your first gear becomes 7th gear and so on.

I don't see anything like that directly in AC. You could probably hack something like that in to AHK or something maybe, but you are probably better off just making whatever that button would be just be your 7th gear.

Or, you could just make the top left 7th, and something else 1st since the vast majority of the time on a 6 or 7 gear car you never drop down to 1st unless you end up stopped somewhere.

Or, you could use the paddle shifters no matter what car you are driving and never look back. I mean, the G27s nice and all, but the H shifter still doesn't feel good enough to make me think "Wow, I'm really in an 80s sports car!"

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Essobie posted:

Or, you could use the paddle shifters no matter what car you are driving and never look back. I mean, the G27s nice and all, but the H shifter still doesn't feel good enough to make me think "Wow, I'm really in an 80s sports car!"

Pretty much what I do for everything but ETS2, and ev3n for that I use Automatic with 3rd for Drive and 4th for Reverse.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The only game I've been using my H Shifter with any regularity has been Euro Truck Simulator 2. Normally I get lazy and just sequential shift for everything.

I need a sequential stick.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
The karts in GSC are brilliant.

Driving an F1 around a kart track is not.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

David Pratt posted:

The karts in GSC are brilliant.

Driving an F1 around a kart track is not.

WHERE THE gently caress ARE MY SUPER KARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Norns posted:

The only game I've been using my H Shifter with any regularity has been Euro Truck Simulator 2. Normally I get lazy and just sequential shift for everything.

DFGT

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

Atomizer posted:

solve both these issues with a th8a from thrustmaster :V

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

OhsH posted:

solve both these issues with a th8a from thrustmaster :V

And I just bought one.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Norns posted:

And I just bought one.

From where? They are hard to find right now

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

KillHour posted:

This doesn't exist. There's a video.ini in the Steam folder, but changing it there doesn't work.

Holy gently caress, son. The location is C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\video.ini sorry for giving you directions off the top of my head from my phone while taking a poo poo at work.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GutBomb posted:

From where? They are hard to find right now

In just bit the bullet and paid 200 on newegg. I'm very impulsive at times.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

In just bit the bullet and paid 200 on newegg. I'm very impulsive at times.

changing from sequential mode to h shifter takes a coupla screws, but other than that it's a pretty drat solid shifter vOv

fer 200 tho you might have wanted to grab the fanatec

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

OhsH posted:

changing from sequential mode to h shifter takes a coupla screws, but other than that it's a pretty drat solid shifter vOv

fer 200 tho you might have wanted to grab the fanatec

Link? I've got time to cancel the order.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/shifters/clubsport-shifter-sq-us.html

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 7, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

!!!!!!!!! you'll probably want the table clamp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

christ and also the usb adapter, loving fanatec. (unless you have a fanatec wheel that will let you plug in to it)

looks like i'm pricing you up 50 bucks :/

OhsH fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 7, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Maybe I'll just use this as an excuse to step up to a belt driven wheel.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

Maybe I'll just use this as an excuse to step up to a belt driven wheel.

hahahahaha you're gonna make me feel bad

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Norns posted:

My previous Logitech MOMO FF wheel has a sequential stick. Also the G27 can emulate this with the H-shifter.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Well, I wanted to update the OP this weekend but instead I bought Rimworld and, well, there went my weekend.

But back to Racing Sims: So is the only substantial upgrade option from the CSR (Standard) going directly to the CSW? I actually just found out the CSR Elite was discontinued ages ago when I tried to look up the price.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
In terms of Fanatec products currently available, yes. I think they are just about due to announce a new wheel that is in between the two, but that's just wishful thinking. Otherwise, there is the Thrustmaster T500, an oldie but goodie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The fanatec CSW v2 is the best you can get with belt drive. You can probably get a v1 for cheaper which will be nearly as good. They don't make the v1 anymore so there aren't any or many replacement parts if something goes wrong. If you want to get into direct drive wheels, you're looking at an accuforce which is 1800 dollars or a DIY solution which could cost anything. The DIY for accuforce which comes with a control box, the motor and maybe a couple other things is 1400 I think. You still have to buy your own rim, attach it to the motor and mount the motor somehow. Plus you have to buy the simvibe software to run it. For 1400, you can get a CSW v2, a rim, CSR elite pedals and probably the CSS or CSS SQ shifter.

If you are getting fanatec pedals, I think the highest you should go are CSR Elite. The clubsport pedals are probably really good, but at that point, you should go for a better set of pedals with a better load cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
...but the ClubSport pedals vibrate

• Locked thread