Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I just noticed that VirtualR isn't in the OP. They cover most major updates or trailers on these sims, as well as major mod updates or releases.

(Posting for first page posterity)
There's a decent crowd of Goons who race in a weekly iRacing league. GoonCar's current season is 3/4 done, and runs every Sunday until the season runs out. Then, we'll run for another dozen weeks once someone ponies up the cash for hosting. We run Skip Barber cars on mostly short ovals, with a couple of road courses thrown in and a figure 8 death race to finish out the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Is it on a certain car or track, or is it for any combination? I've had mods give me errors before. I've also had Fraps crash Assetto Corsa... Good thing they have a built in framerate app.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

In terms of Fanatec products currently available, yes. I think they are just about due to announce a new wheel that is in between the two, but that's just wishful thinking. Otherwise, there is the Thrustmaster T500, an oldie but goodie.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

...but the ClubSport pedals vibrate

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Also I guess this is the best place to ask, if I were to say build a cockpit out of PVC, where the hell do I find a seat for that? Is it just a cheap racing seat with a cheap cover thrown over it or is there something I'm missing here because even the cheap seat options seem kind of pricey.

Junkyard, if you can get something clean and comfy out of a decent car this will definitely be your best value for money. I wanted something rigid and not filled with someone else's farts, so I got a cheap racing seat and adjustable sliders from Jegs on Amazon for like 60 or 70 bucks on sale.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Regarding the G27 being noisy, do you guys not play with audio on? I mean if you have speakers you should have them turned up loud enough to actually hear the game (rather than the wheel.) If you use a headset like I do, it should be a non-issue. Related, I highly recommend the Astro A50! It's a steal, especially compared to what some of you guys spend on your racing setups! (And you can get it for $200 or less on Amazon, refurbished.)

drat, that's a lot for a headset. I've got some decent cans for music, but nothing like that for my sim rig. In order to truly take advantage of a decent set of headphones over the noise of a gear-driven wheel, you would need to crank them pretty high, and I already have tinnitus from playing next to enthusiastic drummers through high school and college. I'm running some old Sony desktop speakers that I've had for over a decade, powered by a cheapass Lepai 2ch amp, for ambient and car noise from the sim. Voice is routed through a $10 Logitech headset. Crappy voice quality is fine, as you don't get good quality through typical race radios. And as long as the audio model sounds like it currently does for sims (I'm looking at you, iRacing Miata and Star Mazda) you're not really going to benefit from fancy flat-response drivers.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

jonathan posted:

I decided to hold off on a cockpit and gaming PC until the oculus rift hits the shelves in consumer form. In the meantime, I went out and spent $1400 on R/C cars and modifications. If any of you gamer types have thought about getting into the RC hobby, it seems like now is the best time it's ever been. Everything fits everything and electric setups are "cheap" and hilariously fast.

I got a 2wd Traxxas Slash VXL. When it takes off down the street, I giggle because it leaves like an 8 second drag car.

Dammit, stop making me want to spend money! I have a hard enough time saving up for a house, mountain bike, speaker cab components, and sim rig crap.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

:suspense:

In other news, Fanatec released an announcement saying they jacked up their European prices due to the exchange rate. I really like my Fanatec products, but they just keep shooting themselves in the foot in terms of growing their market share...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Your TV is super high on the wall and pretty far away, especially with that field of view. You've gone through the effort of building a wheel stand, do the extra step of setting your screen up for a field of view that isn't absolute poo poo. You'll be able to drive better with a decent FOV, and more importantly you'll have a more enjoyable experience.

For reference, here's my setup, posted a while ago. The screens are right at eye level. I will eventually move them a few inches closer, but I can't do that until I figure out a better solution for my keyboard.

E: if that's in your living room or something I can sort of understand why you would have your TV that high, but if its main purpose is racing then you should definitely mount it lower and move your seat closer if possible.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 12, 2015

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Good choice on the cockpit, by the way - they're study as hell, no flex. Does your wheel ever rotate down when you use it? I built the full table on mine, so there's no way anything can move, but yours looks like it's relying entirely on clamps to keep things in place.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Kilonum posted:

I need to work on a PVC setup like that, only with a swappable pedal section and parts to attach my HOTAS to for when I do flight sims/Elite: Dangerous

I didn't hard mount my pedals until very recently - only when I increased the angle of that board. They stayed put just fine before that, with just the grippy things in the pedal base itself. Google "Simul8r 2" - that's what both of ours are based on. I made a larger table section for my triples and speakers, you should be able to adjust the plans for what you need.

Or just be a lazy bum and buy an Obutto setup.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Why is the clutch in Assetto Corsa still stupid?

Resting your foot on the clutch should not make the engine spaz the gently caress out. Seriously.

It's a 'thing' that's been there from the god drat beginning. loving fix it already.

That burns out real clutches... so don't do it?

Or recalibrate your clutch so its first few percent of travel aren't recognized by the game. I do that for top and bottom of the clutch, and for max throttle because I still need to replace or overhaul my CSR pedals.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Essobie posted:

Agreed. Obutto oZone here as well.

Manufactured cockpits look nice, and that keyboard tray is sweet, but I'd rather get a better video card and build my own... put more cash towards the computer instead of the cockpit.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

OhsH posted:

.....do they come with a computer???

i'm probably just reading this wrong vOv

Nope. If I've got $500 to upgrade to a cockpit rig, I would put a hundred into a DIY cockpit and use the rest to get a new video card or mobo/processor instead of putting it all into an Obutto. Not saying they're bad - because they're pretty cool - but that's my preference for upgrading.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Torabi posted:

So once my exam is done tomorrow I can finally get back into simracing. I would like to get a decent offline racer to play around with. Only having iRacing gets a bit bothersome since it is only online racing and sometimes you just want to screw around and race AI. I got Assetto Corsa but that didn't really do it for me. Good game and all but it is more of a luxury car driving simulator.
Kinda sucks there are no simulators with oval content and nascar 2003 is impossible to get.

Does rFactor2 have good AI drivers? Otherwise I'm thinking of getting Stock Car Extreme. But again, I would really like some oval racing too.

I haven't tried GSCE, but to me rF2 has pretty solid AI. There is a pretty good amount of content released by ISI, and a nice chunk of third party mods, but the AI quality is better on ISI's content. I get my rear end handed to me regularly by rF2 AI on 100% with the harder cars - historics, GT cars, Indy etc. but I can usually hold my own with the carts and street cars.

Do you have RACE 07 or RRRE? They're cheap and decent games with plenty of content, but their AI isn't as good as rF2.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I'll buy GSCE before I buy PCars, that sounds much more promising. I'll get PCars when Torabi gets it - when it's dirt cheap in a year or so, after a few of its major issues are fixed. If I want to play a game with lovely AI and other lackluster features that were promised, then I'll pull out Assetto Corsa before PCars.

I spend most of my (limited in the summer) sim time in iRacing, followed by rF2. Dirt Rally is a hoot also, but it has some ground to cover before it gets too much time.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Needs more tracks.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, with any early access or beta game, I fully expect something to break horribly every so often, then get patched ASAP. That's an awfully big patch, though...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

osker posted:

Well, if anybody is interested in a discounted set of V2 pedals in september...

Yup, I will be unless they release info on the new gear below ClubSport. Now I just need to hope my CSRs make it that long... the throttle is getting pretty useless...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, I did it. The csw is amazing. If you can't afford an actual direct drive wheel, it is a must get.

Ow, my wallet...

I do like my CSR a lot, but it's definitely lacking in some areas - I'd love for it to have a stronger motor, for example. I'm hoping they announce a new wheel, similar to the old CSR-E but with some filtered down tech from the ClubSport line. Otherwise, I'll have to bite the bullet and order the CSW. It'll be worth it, but that price tag still hurts for a fancy toy.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Torabi posted:

No matter I recalibrate or not, Dirt Rally is pretty much unplayable for me. Before I set my wheel to 540 degrees or whatever and it worked but now nothing feels right and soft lock does gently caress all. :smith:

Then can't you just set your wheel to 540 again now? To me, 540 pre-update felt nice and easy, but soft-lock feels better and more difficult. You have to really throw a lot more wheel into it, but it feels better. I would think that you could still force your wheel into 540 in the wheel firmware or driver, depending on what wheel you have. The ffb in Dirt is still not great, as others have pointed out... So it'll feel different no matter what.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Torabi posted:

I can still lock it to 540 degrees and it gets a bit better. But I thought the whole point of soft lock was that the game locks the wheels rotation for you depending on the car? Or have I misunderstood soft lock completely.

No, that's what is supposed to happen. I've had problems with the soft lock in rFactor 2 on occasion, it's not an uncommon issue. Just to cover all bases, you're not just overpowering the wheel, right? If your ffb is high, you probably will not be able to distinguish between hard ffb and the soft lock, as they are both using all of your wheel's torque. Also, are you driving a car that is supposed to have 900° wheel rotation or a similarly high amount? Then soft lock would be working properly.

The ffb is completely different from before, so it will feel very different to drive no matter what.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Holy crap the CSW has power! Aside from the better FFB which was expected I'm suprised that just placing the car seems so much more precise. Did 2 hours of just hotlapping in AC and immediately pulverized all my previous times.

Now my shoulders hurt :D

Goddammit, I want one :( hopefully our roof doesn't poo poo the bed until after I fill my piggy bank and order one... and hopefully they do a Black Friday sale that doesn't suck this year.

We closed on our house yesterday. First thing I did was change the locks. Second thing I did was tear apart my sim rig, haul it to the new place, and spraypaint the gently caress out of the PVC. Today I'll paint the wood parts... and probably do some moving prep, I suppose... but mainly paint the sim rig.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

For those of you not in the iRacing thread, we've got a group doing the 24 hours of Spa in an HPD right now. Stream's up for a least some of the race (courtesy of Bentai) at http://www.twitch.tv/b737_900/

Current status:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Thrustmaster announces servo wheel base

Have any of you heard about this? New wheel base from Thrustmaster, expected to be available this month for US$259 for the base, still needs pedals and a wheel rim. Fanatec had better reveal their upcoming midrange wheel set quickly, or Thrustmaster will take over the segment for people who want a wheel better than Logitech but don't want to pay for ClubSport.

(like me)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Fanatec is probably going to announce new products around the start or middle of October, and depending on the amount of my upcoming raise I'll be picking up ClubSport stuff or whatever they announce. Wheel base will probably wait a bit, as they're so drat expensive, but those v3 pedals look pretty sexy.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

njsykora posted:

What could they announce? I know they just announced a new CSW rim for Forza and beyond just more rims I can't see anything else coming out of them other than a V3 CSW base.

I'm half expecting a CSW v3, but the main thing I'm predicting is a replacement for the CSR. I bet it will be somewhere in between the CSR and CSR-elite in terms of features, since there are so many competitors at or just below that price point. Probably $5-600 total for wheel and pedals.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

OhsH posted:

ha, i'll still never spend the grand its gonna take for 2 more 1440 p monitors :smith:

It'll be more than that, because you'll need a ton more horsepower from your video card(s). That's why I'm sticking with triple 1080, there are plenty of pixels to render at that resolution.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Even with paddle shifters, with many cars you still need to blip in order to maximize engine braking without losing traction of the drive wheels. If the car has built in auto-blip like the iRacing GT3 cars, then it's a moot point, but in cars like the Skip/SRF/Miata/Late Model you need to heel-toe to maximize braking without assists.

I only use paddles - I'd rather get a better wheel and pedals before I buy a shifter - and I heel-toe a lot.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

I don't know how it is in iRacing, but rF2, SCE and AC all allow you to set autoblip on all cars if you also use autoclutch. At least the setting exists and as far as I can tell it works fine.

The problem I have with heel-toe is that whenever I try it hurts like hell after a few minutes. It's that sideways ankle movement that kills me, my ankles have always sucked rear end and I sprain my feet at the slightest provocation.

The setting exists, but I have refused to use it since day one of owning a wheel. I even blipped back in my Forza 4 days with a controller, but that's a lot easier. The only way I would personally use auto-blip is if I didn't own a pedal set with three pedals.

Have you tried adjusting your pedal position? My CSR pedals are adjustable from side to side, I believe all Fanatec pedals can be adjusted to some degree. I moved my brake closer to the throttle, which helped a lot. If you have the ability with your pedals, you could also move the throttle further away from you. That would line it up better with a depressed brake, so it would be easier to reach. I think ClubSport pedals can do this, but not sure.

The blip sensitivity is highest in rF2 from my experience - I learned to heel-toe there, and it seems easier everywhere else. Then again, I have driven a manual car daily for almost two years now and I practice blips in that, so video game blips feel super easy. The jolt from a bad blip in a real car is a good motivator to do better.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Harminoff posted:

So now that I have a racing rig should I get a buttkicker next for it or upgrade my dfgt to a g27/t150?

Upgrade the wheel. I want to add a buttkicker also, but I don't think I'll do it until I upgrade from CSR to ClubSport. The buttkicker stuff will cost you $150+ to do it right, and you'll get more information feedback from a better wheel than from a buttkicker.

They do look awesome though :3: I just got a nice promotion, so I might be able to do these upgrades by springtime.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

jonathan posted:

Ok so my surround sound system is over 3000 watts of nitro injected war rig including 2 18" low tuned subwoofers. With a driving cockpit, would this setup be ideal or could I achieve just as much immersion with a mid quality pair of headphones and a butt-kicker style transducer ? What about with VR ?

Headphones and a buttkicker will serve you just fine, unless you want your neighbors to know what car you're racing (which you do). Your setup should give you better surround than headphones, but you may need to mess with your eq to get more immersive rumble vs. a 20hz drone. I use old Sony bookshelf speakers with a cheapass headset for voice chat, to be replaced with a decent headset after I upgrade my wheel and pedals. Basically, use what you have on hand unless/until your cockpit gets in the way.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

BTW, the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup won the voting for SCE bonus car.

:ughh:

Not surprised.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Had a look at the upcoming Gooncar races, I'll have to skip (i.e. not buying) the pure ovals, so I'm buying Brands Hatch, New Hampshire, Iowa and the Skip Barber. Also throwing in Mid Ohio and Sebring to get to the 20% discount. gently caress. They got me man, they loving got me.

Worth it.

Stick to road racing for a while for buying content, it's cheaper than trying to do both road and oval. Most of those tracks are in very regular rotation for many road series, so you'll get plenty of chances to use them.

I just started doing oval recently, and my iRacing bill definitely jumped.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Welp, I just put in my preorder for ClubSport v3 pedals... now to start saving for a wheel base, rim and shifter :shepspends:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlJTQX_NFa8

In case you missed it, there's a group of us who have a league going on iRacing. Here are some highlights from the past few weeks.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

http://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=925431757532821&substory_index=0&id=113736022035736

Called it months ago that Fanatec would have a new wheel out by the end of the year. It looks like it came over in the same container as the ClubSport v3 pedals, as they are now in stock in the US.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

The teased Fanatec wheel is on their web shop - it's a $140 rim for the ClubSport wheel base :(

However, it is listed as part of the CSL product family, not ClubSport. I'd guess that means they will be releasing a cheap wheel base, maybe around $200, to replace the CSR stuff.

The ClubSport v3 pedals have a new preorder arrival date of 11/20, so they have another batch of products arriving soon. Maybe there are more CSL products there, to be teased shortly. The new rim's shot was too dark to see the wheel base, so who knows what could be coming in the pipeline...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

njsykora posted:

It would be interesting if they made all their CSR/CSL rims compatible with the CSW base just without the quick release thing. Would probably get more people getting in with the cheaper CSR/L stuff then upgrading to a CSW base later because they didn't have to spend an extra €300 getting a new rim for it.

Exactly, or even the reverse - ClubSport wheel rim with a cheaper base, then upgrade the base later. Not sure if it's feasible, but it would really help lock in their consumers.

I'm hoping for a new shifter set to be announced. Flappy paddles just suck when that's your only option, and I've been jonesing for a shifter. That being said, 200 bucks is more than I can justify for a decent shifter when I'm still on the CSR wheel. If they announce a new midrange shifter I'll either buy that, or I'll get the junky CSR set on discount when they clear it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Senna is a great documentary and I believe it's still on Netflix.

• Locked thread