Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'm glad I saw this thread! I'm on my third wheel now, a G27, and it's great but I'm having trouble finding games that fully support it. I have Assetto Corsa, and it's pretty good in its current state, but I spent a lot of time going through racing games on Steam but being unable to find many more that fully support the G27. Worst-case scenario, some of the arcadey-ones only support gamepads, no wheels at all. :saddowns: I think I have Race07 though, and iRacing looks good (and it has Miatas! :neckbeard:) The only thing is I don't race often enough for a subscription to be worth it. The same for a cockpit, I don't drive enough to justify the expense (and don't have the space for one); right now I have to clamp the wheel & shifter to my keyboard drawer, which isn't ideal as far as the positioning of the shifter is concerned, plus it has a tendency to get pulled off the tray as I shift. I wish there was some compact, temporary cockpit setup that I could use. I do have driving gloves & shoes (Piloti) that I use in my big-boy Miata, though, that I will try with the G27 the next time I set it up.

The only thing is, I'm pretty terrible at racing games. I don't get the sensation of speed from the games so it's hard to judge corners. This is probably due to the disconnect between the visuals and my brain knowing that I'm actually stationary in a chair. It's still fun to play these games/sims, but I guess I'm just not cut out for being a racist. :smith: I wouldn't mind some kind of driving sim, versus racing ones; it would be fun just to drive around real-world locations and enjoy the scenery rather than trying to hopelessly race people who are much better than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

GhostDog posted:

I think a lot of that is due to the sensation of speed coming in large part from fast movement in your peripheral vision which you just don't get on a single monitor.

This might be part of it (although I have 4 monitors, I only play on one because I use a 2x2 setup) although I still think the majority of the problem is that you know you're not really moving at any speed. Like, you know how when you're in an actual vehicle (car, plane, whatever) you can tell when you're moving even with your eyes closed? Not only can you detect acceleration, deceleration, and lateral motion, you also get feedback from the controls, so if you're driving you can tell when you're losing traction. Force Feedback can only compensate for the latter to a degree.

Even though the cars in Assetto Corsa are race-prepped, and much faster than my own, when I'm flossin' in my Pussy Magnet I can drive it way harder than any car in a sim (in the sense that I can push it to its limits without misjudging speed and/or losing control.) I mean is it just me or do you guys also have some trouble adapting to virtual cars?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

GhostDog posted:

The updated Brabham for rF2 is really fun.

Also, rF1 just showed up on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/339790/

Does RF1 have full support for the G27 (i.e., the shifter)? I see that it's quite an older game, which doesn't bother me unless it won't let me use the full gated shifter. If I wanted to use goddamn paddles I'd have stuck with my Logitech MOMO FF and not purchased the G27.

Similarly, I hate how in AC it forces you to use the paddles in vehicles that actually come equipped with them, instead of just letting you pretend they have a real shifter. The game lets you do the opposite and use paddles in any of the cars, of course. :jerkbag:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hey, in something like Assetto, how do you handle cars with 7 forward gears like the latest Corvette or 911 when you've only got 6 on the G27's H-shifter?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Norns posted:

The only game I've been using my H Shifter with any regularity has been Euro Truck Simulator 2. Normally I get lazy and just sequential shift for everything.

I need a sequential stick.

My previous Logitech MOMO FF wheel has a sequential stick. Also the G27 can emulate this with the H-shifter.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

inkmoth posted:

So, I'm not much of a sim car driver, and definitely not a real racecar driver. Don't even know how to drive a manual transmission.

But I've got my G27 and a Rift and drat is it fun to crash BMWs all over the nordschleife.

Maybe someday I won't hit 3/4 of the walls, but until then, I'll enjoy my spinning.

My only question is that if you can't operate a manual transmission, why go for the G27 instead of a cheaper wheel? Unless you're planning to teach yourself on it, of course.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Jehde posted:

If you're sim racing I think it's worth learning how/when to change gears, adds a lot more to the experience. I taught myself how to shift (terribly) thanks to Colin McRae style pacenotes being super intuitive. Ever since, I've wanted every game with worthwhile car physics to have a manual option, especially GTA V which notably doesn't have the option. :saddowns:

I agree, but I interpreted his post as meaning "I don't know how to drive a manual IRL and I don't do it in-game." He didn't mention that he was trying to learn on sims.

SanitysEdge posted:

What wheel is cheaper than a G27? You are going to want at least 720 degrees of steering which really limits the field.

When people say they cant operate a manual transmission in a sim do they mean they dont know when to pick what gear - or do they mean they dont know how to use the clutch?

fwiw I daily drive a manual transmission car and I hate driving manual in sims because of the clutch. Using a clutch is such a subtle effect that its hard to get the feel of it from watching your car accelerate on a screen. Then you have to deal with shifter hardware for sims which dont have any force feedback which gets rid of a lot of the instinct to revmatch.

If its the other case, not knowing what gear to pick, just practice more. You'll eventually get a feel for it.

The G27 is on Amazon for $234 at this moment, and there are plenty of wheels cheaper than that, either new, entry-level or used, above-entry level. Obviously if you really looked elsewhere like eBay or Craig's you could probably find even better deals. You can find a used Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel, the previous one I purchased, for about $100 and it's both decent quality and has sequential shifters (paddles and a stick.) It only has 240° of steering though. All I was saying was that the G27, while nowhere near the high-end for racing wheels, is a little overkill if you can't use the H-shifter. That basically means you can't use 1/3 of the controls that you're purchasing (the shifter, and the clutch pedal.)

As I mentioned in the last quote, I'm assuming inkmoth doesn't know how to operate a manual transmission at all (i.e. shifter, pedals, in-game, IRL.) I do think that practicing the elements in-game is a good place to start, though, even if the realism isn't all there. (It's certainly preferable to damaging an actual car.) I 100% agree with you on the unrealistic aspect of operating a manual transmission in a game versus IRL.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

inkmoth posted:

Well, regarding my choice of the G27- I knew about it, and it had good reviews. Choice was made that simply :P

Edit: it was also on sale

As for not knowing how to drive manual, I've never tried / learned on a real car. Occasionally I use the h shifter (without cluctch for now), but recently I've taken a step back on that to the paddleshifters on the wheel until I get better at determining what gear I should actually be in.

But yeah, even if I can't use the real manual features now, I enjoy having them there. Some of my friends can drive real manuals, so they enjoy using them from time to time, and someday I might learn how to use them too.

At least in the short run it provides a great amount of excitement when I accidentally step on the clutch when I'm expecting brakes.

To be honest, I also bought the G27 when it was on sale. I had it in my Amazon wish list for a few years before that! :eyepop:

As far as being in the correct gear is concerned, you basically use lower gears to accelerate, higher gears to cruise & conserve fuel. You start in 1st and shift up when you get moving, then shift up & down as needed. You don't shift all the way back down into 1st until you've reached a complete stop, though. That's the simple part; actually getting your hands & feet to coordinate, especially in a real car, are what you have to master.

Regarding the G27 being noisy, do you guys not play with audio on? I mean if you have speakers you should have them turned up loud enough to actually hear the game (rather than the wheel.) If you use a headset like I do, it should be a non-issue. Related, I highly recommend the Astro A50! It's a steal, especially compared to what some of you guys spend on your racing setups! (And you can get it for $200 or less on Amazon, refurbished.)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

drat, that's a lot for a headset. I've got some decent cans for music, but nothing like that for my sim rig. In order to truly take advantage of a decent set of headphones over the noise of a gear-driven wheel, you would need to crank them pretty high, and I already have tinnitus from playing next to enthusiastic drummers through high school and college. I'm running some old Sony desktop speakers that I've had for over a decade, powered by a cheapass Lepai 2ch amp, for ambient and car noise from the sim. Voice is routed through a $10 Logitech headset. Crappy voice quality is fine, as you don't get good quality through typical race radios. And as long as the audio model sounds like it currently does for sims (I'm looking at you, iRacing Miata and Star Mazda) you're not really going to benefit from fancy flat-response drivers.

Well, it's not a cheap headset, but it's very nice for the money, especially refurbished (which mine is, and I received it in indistinguishable-from-new condition.) They sound great, and you don't have to crank them up high; being wireless is also a plus. Like you alluded to, you can spend way more on headphones, although that typically refers to audiophile equipment. Also, keep in mind the dude who posted right above me linked a $400 wheel, so like I said, the headset isn't really that much compared to the other racing gear I know a lot of you in this thread have. Plus, the headset is useful outside of sims, unlike the rest of the racing equipment. The A50s sound great when listening to music, for example, not to mention any other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

osker posted:

Enjoy your latency.

Not an issue with the Astros.

• Locked thread