Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm getting these errors every time I try to start a race in Assetto Corsa and then it kicks me out to the main menu. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

Verify integrity in Steam.

Did that already. Googling mostly came up with stuff about triple monitor setups, which I don't have.

Specs:

code:
CPU:           Intel Core i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge-DT, E1)
               3400 MHz (34.00x100.0) @ 1604 MHz (16.00x100.3)
Motherboard:   ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Chipset:       Intel Z77 (Panther Point DH)
Memory:        16384 MBytes @ 802 MHz, 11.0-11-11-28
               - 4096 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBSR1
Graphics:      Intel Ivy Bridge-DT GT2 - Integrated Graphics Controller [E1/L1/N0/P0] [AsusTek]
               Intel HD Graphics 4000, 2112 MB 
Graphics:      EVGA e-GeForce GTX 670
               NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, 2048 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive:         SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25, 117.2 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive:         ST3000DM001-1E6166, 2930.3 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive:         TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB, DVD+R DL
Sound:         NVIDIA GK104 - High Definition Audio Controller
Network:       Intel 82579V (Lewisville) Gigabit Network Connection

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

Is it on a certain car or track, or is it for any combination? I've had mods give me errors before. I've also had Fraps crash Assetto Corsa... Good thing they have a built in framerate app.

Any combination. No mods installed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OhsH posted:

i know it's generic but have you tried a complete reinstall?

No dice.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Norns posted:

You might as well build a racecar with the cost of a setup like that.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654809&userid=96567#post438320091

Obviously, you don't know goons. (He's doing both!)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

osker posted:

Go to your documents folder and open Assettocorsa/cfg/video.cfg and change aa samples from zero to one. I was getting the same error a while back when I was dicking with my oculus rift settings.

This doesn't exist. There's a video.ini in the Steam folder, but changing it there doesn't work.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

osker posted:

Holy gently caress, son. The location is C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\video.ini sorry for giving you directions off the top of my head from my phone while taking a poo poo at work.

That doesn't exist either. There is no Assetto Corsa folder in my Documents folder.

:iiam:

Edit: Found it in "I:\Assetto Corsa\cfg" of all places. AASAMPLES is already set to 1, and the game still crashes. :(

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 8, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

I got an invite this morning for a Fanatec CSWv2 that I don't think I'm going to be able to use before it expires (a week from today, March 26). If anyone's interested in it let me know, I should know by the end of the day whether there's any chance of buying it myself. Of course for all I know they just sent invites to everyone.

If only they'd have released details on their XBone compatible wheels, I started playing Horizon 2 again last night so if this thing was XBone compatible I'd have been a lot more likely to make a dumb decision.

Sell your XBone and put the money towards the wheel. Duh.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Don't do this. The forza games are a blast.

I keep hearing this, but dropping $350 on a console just to play one ($60) game that needs its own ($200+) accessory is getting into serious "I could spend this money on other things" territory for me.

Also, weren't people bitching that the new Forza is a microtransaction grind-fest?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure Sweden actually has a very low suicide rate compared to the rest of Europe. Their taxes are high, but they make way more money on average.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Watch some Swedish movies sometime.

Also I think the suicide thing has to do with the nature of a dark winter up north.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Sweden's kind of middle-of-the-road. Greenland's the one with stupid-high suicide rates.

quote:

Suicide is a significant national social issue in Greenland. According to government reports, 1 in every 5 people (according to some research, 1 in every 4 people) in Greenland attempts to kill themselves at some point in their lifetimes.

:stare:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

It's not just that though. In "realistic" sims you have something like a spec miata that loses grip at a lower speed than it would in real life. It's not just a disconnect. Even professional racing drivers have said that there is more grip in a real car than in something like iracing.

Which is probably why when they had that nerdy iRacing dude drive a real F1 car, they found his lines were perfect, but he would still be (slightly) too conservative going into corners.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/02/iracing-star-gets-chance-to-try-real-thing-at-road-atlanta/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vando posted:

Also I'd be conservative too if I was driving somebody else's car.

All rental cars are the fastest car in the world. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I shouldn't have because money's tight, but I bought Dirt Rally anyways. Will update with a trip report if I don't get sucked in and spend all night playing (this will probably happen).

Hopefully my Fanatec Carrera wheel works well, because I really can't afford an upgrade right now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh man, this is so loving good. I can only imagine with a real cockpit. :allears:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Something clicked for me tonight, ended up setting the 41st fastest time globally on Monte Carlo w/ a 70's car. I recorded it on my potato for your viewing pleasure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLD9b2YDEwM

That's a pretty good song, I guess. Not sure how it's relevant, though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think Randall Munroe just told me to build a simulator cockpit.

Who am I to argue?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

The 8 ball has spoken. Do it. You won't regret it as long as you have the space (roughly 2 feet x 6 feet).

Here's my two as they currently sit, even the ghetto one (built without any real plans while drunk) is a million times better than rigging a wheel to a desk and trying not to push your chair backwards.

Anyone who raced with me back on Forza 4 probably heard the ghetto one creaking around under the load of the Fanatec force feedback over voice chat. My shifter was mounted to that bit of plywood sticking up and flapped around a lot too, so the fancy one (built from Ricmotech plans) is a lot nicer for that.

I have the parts to build another of the nice ones and will probably be moving things around so the kegerator sits between them whenever I get around to building it. Who doesn't want draft beer within reach while racing?

I live alone in a 5 bedroom, 2400 sq ft house. I have enough space to build 10 of them and forget they're there. I just don't have the money right now (mostly because of the aforementioned house :downs:).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

^ If you live in LA I'm willing to move in and start some sort of rally racing cult

I just snagged #20th globally in the daily

My head hurts just thinking about how much my house would cost in LA.

If you're willing to move to Buffalo, you can live with me.

I'm not joking.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a wheel, but I'd want to build a motion rig, because I'm insane. Also, I want better pedals than the cheap ones that came with my Fanatec Carrara wheel.

I have no reason to move to Buffalo but I will keep that in mind lol

We don't have traffic, which is all the reason you need. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Torabi posted:

Do you really want a Goon in your house?

Better than my ex wife. :haw:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

As a Jamestownian, I have anal / mental issues keeping tabs on traffic surrounding me even in Buffalo's urban-easy-mode.

Counter-point: If you count deer crossing the road as traffic, your commute is way worse.

Also, I used to live just outside Batavia. :smithicide:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OhsH posted:

if u like weed and big dumb idiots, im the guy u want to move in.

We're going to need to organize a fight to the death race death race to see who gets to live with me in my awesome house.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My house is going to be the neckbeard capital of the world.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Going to get a cockpit shipped in,

If you had the choice would you run triple monitor 2d, 106" Projector 3D, or Oculus VR ? I already have the projector setup but I could do the other two.

I too have a 5 bedroom house.

And way more cool toys than I could ever hope for. Can I come live with you, instead?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Only if you're willing to go through a sex change.

:eek:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dibs on the projector setup!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Took a break from career mode in Dirt Rally to try out the new Pikes Peak hill climb. Holy crap, the hill climb Quattro S1 is brutal. No wonder it's legendary - driving the thing is loving terrifying.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I remember watching an Isle of Man motorcycle race on TV and wondering how their bikes even manage to get up to speed with the riders' massive brass balls dragging on the asphalt behind them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

physics look off.

Too much traction.

Those ice skates should be sliding sideways when she turns her head.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Quit storing your music in FLAC. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

T1g4h posted:

lol @ thinking no grip on loose surfaces = realism. You can have a rally sim and still have realistic levels of grip.

I never said it wasn't arcade or that it was a super great sim, just that it was consistent and actual fun as opposed to jankfuckery like DR's physics and handling model.

I've never rallied, so I'm not positive about the dirt surfaces (they feel okay to me, though), but those icy tarmac stages have WAY too much goddamn grip. I live in Buffalo, and if you tried to drive half as fast on real ice as you can get on those stages, you would be backwards in a ditch immediately. Maybe there's less ice on the ground than the shaders or textures make it look, but my rule has always been "if you can see the ice, you're not turning or stopping any faster than 20 mph." And it doesn't look like those roads were salted, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDsclaXxy6c

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ledenko posted:

Don't compare driving your car to driving a race ready rally car, it's simply not comparable if you think how much money they throw at those. I'm not going to claim I know how they really handle, but I'm pretty sure one snow or ice tyre that's used in WRC costs more than my dinky Skoda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFzKDlibi6g

The best tires in the world can't make up for physics.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Great Joe posted:

Cool I love interviews and not any footage of cars actually going on ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebmTYJe4R20

Also, just normal traffic here in Iceland stays at 56 mph on the ring road even on ice. Keep in mind it's bumpy, squirrelly and only one lane per direction. The only modification most people make is put on studded tires.

The car in this video has zero grip. The entire thing is done going sideways, and the fast turns are all 5-6 turns in deep snow on a very wide track. Notice how slow he is going for the tight turns. The only thing keeping that car on the road is the skill of the driver, which frankly, you don't have.

Compare to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJtuI4K-J3k

Driving like that in any car would be suicidal if there was even a little bit of ice on the road.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

You mean you have to drive differently on dry pavement than on ice? This is shocking, tell me more!

Also what kind of nerd sets up three cameras to record his driving. Does anyone really care that much?

That road is SUPPOSED to have ice on it. It's an ice stage.

My point is it doesn't feel like you're on ice. Or at least it doesn't feel like there are patches of ice. The entire road is just one slightly-slick piece of pavement, like it just rained or something. There should be dry pieces where you have normal grip and then spots where you have ZERO grip. Because that's how ice works. It's also why black ice is so dangerous. Everything is fine until "Nope! gently caress you."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

This is going to be hard to explain, but does anyone else get the feeling that dirt rally is kind of like a rail shooter, but for cars ? What I mean is, it almost seems like they wouldn't be able to just out in a normal course like Laguna seca. Almost like the game just wants to follow the course. Like the original need for speed game.

Does this make any sense ?

Do the Pike's Peak hillclimb with the Audi Quattro. It feels like the car is magnetically repelled by the track.

OTOH, that might just be me sucking.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Yeah I mean I get rally, and I want to rally in a rally game, but I just get this weird sensation that the game engine mechanics wouldn't translate to a circuit course. Or almost like the car is being guided along the rally stage making driving easier than it should be.

Pretend we took a tarmac rally course and put it into a seemingly more universal engine such as iRacing. Would I still be able to get the car through the stage pulling off drifts with such ease ?

Sigh, maybe I've been in work camp too long.

Edit: maybe it's a FOV thing. What FOV setting do you guys with triple monitors use, and what angle are the side monitors supposed to be ?

I understand that what you're trying to say is that it feels like a (REALLY) old school arcade racing game, where the physics amounted to "turns make you drift towards the edge of the track, try to stay in the middle." I don't get that feeling at all, though. You can easily drive around normally if you find an open flat spot to do so, and there are a few places in the game where I have found cuts.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why does this have 5 gears?

Cojawfee posted:

There's a race track builder on steam that just released or something. They either have or are working on direct export to assetto corsa.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/388980/

gently caress yes. I'm finally going to do my dream of turning the drive from Buffalo to Niagara Falls into a huge fuckoff race track.

Edit: I'd suggest reading the reviews first. There's one positive and one negative. The positive one just says this:

quote:

You cant build a full race track yet but this will be a great tool once more features are added.

Sounds like it's worth 60 bucks to me!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 27, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

The lights are probably fine.

White balance on your camera? Needs help.

You don't know that. He could have sodium vapor lights in his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That looks like a perfect FOV, actually. Ideally, things on the screen should be their real-life size.

• Locked thread