Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I know what you're trying to say but that's kind of dumb. Yes, you can get an actual race car for the cost of a motion rig like that. But once you factor in the cost of transportation of your race car, maintenance, and other running costs, it's cheaper to have the motion rig.

Nah because you could downgrade to something like a dirtbike or an ATV or one of those caged ATV buggy things and actually race around in those as well, I think the bigger appeal of motion rigs that racing is kind of a time-intensive thing that requires a lot of travel and waiting and a motion rig bypasses all that in exchange for being an imperfect simulation. I would never make one myself though.

e: Karts too if you want to do road racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I remember hearing good things about Assetto Corsa, what ended up happening to make it lame and bad?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also I guess this is the best place to ask, if I were to say build a cockpit out of PVC, where the hell do I find a seat for that? Is it just a cheap racing seat with a cheap cover thrown over it or is there something I'm missing here because even the cheap seat options seem kind of pricey.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Flimsy rear end rigged up base or not, splurge on a seat with a bit of padding if you can.

man pvc is sturdier than wood if you're not stupid about designing the frame

thanks for the junkyard picking advice though, i'll probably go that route when i finally get around to building this thing

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SealHammer posted:

I must be some kind of illiterate retard or something because I thought PPIHC was best of two times. Is it actually a practice run followed by a competitive run, or an average of two times? Because I dropped a 9:45 and figured "well, I can just retire out of this one since I'm already #FasterThanAri" but then I dropped to the bottom of the scoreboard with the max time :(

maybe u should have looked at the rules for the real hill climb, idiot fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I know that feeling, I've trained for years on grueling tracks like Laguna Seca or Spa Francorchamps or Monaco, and every new sim I load up, I can slip into these tracks with any car and just know my way around, but every time I want to take my game up to the next level, and perhaps put a car on a real track, the only thing nearby are lovely local tracks that are entirely different! I don't want to learn that poo poo! drat! gently caress! It's awful.

• Locked thread