Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alr
May 14, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

In Dirt Rally I went from the 1960 Lancia FWD to the 1970 Lancia RWD, finally, and jesus christ I've lost all ability to drive. I spin out constantly even when driving so slow that I'm 2+ minutes behind 1st. Is there a trick to this or am I just a poo poo driver?

The devs of Dirt Rally posted a video of an actual rally driver playing (Kevin Abbring, was smashing the daily challenges)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnPuk2ECaIQ

That car was an E30 M3 so RWD but the next tier up, you can hear how he's either giving it only a little bit of throttle or letting it coast through a lot of corners. I normally like RWD cars in games but I've been avoiding them in this because I feel so slow even when I'm keeping up with the top spots with how gentle you need to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009
Dirt Rally just got patched with updated FFB. It seems pretty good so far.

alr
May 14, 2009

ManicJason posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the FFB in Dirt Rally is even worse after the patch? They tried to add self aligning torque, but it doesn't make any sense the way they did it. There is zero force centering the wheel when you are going forward. It takes exactly as much force to steer with the car stopped as it does going 100 MPH. The self aligning torque they added magically appears and disappears as the car gets sideways. It's totally fudged and feels awful.

They also added a bunch of nonsense forces when your rear tires are slipping or when you hit bumps.

I like it and I'm noticeably faster with it, but I agree with you on the self aligning torque. There's no alignment due to the "natural" movement/camber or whatever of the wheels and that it feels like "more slide = more force applied". The suspension FFB slider seems useless, too. If I set it above ~20% my G27 sounds like it's shaking itself to death just from normal driving and nothing much changes in game. Landing after a jump, for example, nothing happens in the wheel.

I guess overall it works for me since it seems to give me a pretty decent representation of what the cars doing, it's a lot easier for me to catch slides in RWD cars since I know exactly when the back end is about to swing back around.

alr
May 14, 2009

yesssss

Next goon dirtleague around Germany in these things?

alr
May 14, 2009

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Speaking of Dirt, there's still a day and a half left for the second event of this season! Get it on it!

e: Of course, now that I say this, sealhammer will swoop in and blast everyone else's time out of the water.

SealHammer posted:

Well, I was just gonna sit this one out 'cause I've been busy playing pCars and Alien, but if people have expectations, then I must deliver.

I felt like I might have had a shot at this (Raize on leaderboards) since I was leading the Welsh event until the last stage where I got sideways and smacked a gate, but dang you have good pace. Also props to Great Joe for being the only Cosworth driver, that thing is a pig

jonathan posted:

Is there a way to drive the lower performance cars on pikes peak ?

Not at the moment, no. Dunno if this'll change down the line.

alr
May 14, 2009
Dirt Rally Germany update next week according to their latest devblog.

Price is going up at the end of June, too - $35 USD to $38.

alr
May 14, 2009
Dirt Rally developer livestream at http://www.twitch.tv/dirtgame in an hour and a half from now (3pm BST, 12am AEST, 7am PDT).

All the online leagues and daily/weekly challenges are down while they're preparing to update, so I guess we're getting Germany soonish!

edit: it's out, 7.6GB download.

quote:

12 new rally stages based at Baumholder in Germany
Owners Club Online Events – A second DiRT Daily where you compete in your own car
A second weekly event where we’ll be experimenting and throwing new challenges at you
7 new rally cars featuring new Group B RWD & Kit Car Classes
Renault Alpine A110 1600S
Opel Kadett GT/E 16v
Renault 5 Turbo
Opel Manta 400
Lancia 037 Evo 2
Seat Ibiza Kitcar
Peugeot 306 Maxi
New calibration and options screens in “Advanced Wheel Settings” (added in v.0.4.5)

alr fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 29, 2015

alr
May 14, 2009

pik_d posted:

I just got a notice that the event has expired, but there should be about 8 hours left, correct?

Goon league? Yeah, same, time couldn't be entered.

alr
May 14, 2009
I finally got around to trying out a FoV calculator for a "correct" view and hoo poo poo

It's too narrow to race with since it's a single 22" screen further away than I'd like, but I'm noticeably faster already and more comfortable with the dimensions of the car in relation to the kerbs, walls, etc. Now I"m looking at hooking up an old phone for an LCD dash and pricing a 970 and an ultrawide monitor. I think I'll leave the GPU til whatever nvidias next cards are but I understand the iracing thread title a bit better now

alr
May 14, 2009

The 12C honestly seems a decent matchup at this track, both of those times were set with optimum surface and soft tyres (C6 can go super soft if you do qualifying). 12C has ABS from factory but the Corvette doesn't really feel like it needs it. Haven't looked at tuning either of those cars all too much, but the Mclaren is understeery. I set a 56.4 with the Corvette on super softs but I dunno how much of that was the tyres and how much was an extra few laps of practice.

alr
May 14, 2009
I got the Corvette down to a flat 56 and the Mclaren to a random flat 57, usually 57.4 or thereabouts though. Seems so much harder to drive fast than the Corvette, it understeers right up to the point where it snap oversteers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009
With that said, if you don't have a wheel then PCars is amazing with a gamepad once you have your settings the way you like. The physics in AC are better with a wheel but there's very little "game" to it if that turns you off. The "career" is just a collection of premade events that you do in order, and you progress to the next tier by collecting x amount of podium finishes. PCars also has night races and rain. I've put about the same amount of time into both, they both have their own strengths

• Locked thread