Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Atomizer posted:

Hey, in something like Assetto, how do you handle cars with 7 forward gears like the latest Corvette or 911 when you've only got 6 on the G27's H-shifter?

Not sure if AC supports it but in a game like Euro Truck Simulator where the truck can have 12 gears, you hit a modifier button so that your first gear becomes 7th gear and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

That is kind of dumb seeing as the Euro and the Dollar are only 8-9 cents away. Maybe there's a bunch more taxes that go into the price in Europe.

They tax people up the rear end in Europe, especially in Sweden. 30% tax on everything and that is on top of the added fee of importing products. So whenever something is announced and people in media say it is reasonably priced, you can bet they will at least bump up the price by 30-40% in Sweden.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Tippis posted:

Actually, contrary to the popular myth, our taxes aren't that high.

I'm in Sweden too, and it sure seems like that.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

How's the online community in Stock Car Extreme? Played some Race07 online with a friend and even though we suck, it was a poo poo ton of fun. Are there always some races going on or is it pretty dead?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

It seems to be mostly league stuff, so you'll hardly find anything in the off hours.

Well, Race07 doesn't have all that much either but there are a few servers with 10 or so people and one usually with 20-25. So if it's the same in Stock Car Extreme that's fine.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

There are some people streaming it on Steam already, looks pretty nice.

"While most of Codemasters were working on last year’s Grid Autosport, a small team of developers were experimenting with the studio’s EGO engine. They weren’t interested in making a good looking racer, they were solely focused on the physics engine. What they made was Dirt Rally, a PC-only off road simulator."
From this: http://www.pcgamesn.com/dirt-rally/meet-dirt-rally-codemasters-best-new-game-in-years-and-its-out-today

I'll keep an eye on it. Sounds like they are going for something that is closer to a sim and less radical monster energy drink. It's going to have league support too, so that's nice.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I could give you all a self esteem boost by joining in on the Dirt Rally fun. Still sort of between Dirt Rally and Stock Car Extreme for me. Project cars doesn't look that interesting beyond the graphics. But it is out soon so I'll wait and see what people say about that. Haven't heard much about it, compared to Stock Car Extreme which I keep hearing good things about.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

KillHour posted:

My head hurts just thinking about how much my house would cost in LA.

If you're willing to move to Buffalo, you can live with me.

I'm not joking.

Do you really want a Goon in your house?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

xzzy posted:

That's interesting, especially for the price, but the stand looks super wobbly and I'm not sure how I'd deal with the pedals.

I found a number of DIY type solutions with a google image search that I think should be enough to get ideas from, I just need to measure things out and buy a 2x4 to cut up and bolt together.

If you happen to not feel like doing it yourself, I highly recommend a wheelstand pro. It is super sturdy and doesn't take a lot of space. It is kinda pricey but it was worth the money for me. But then again, I am not very handy and there is no way that I would be able to build something similar myself.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

So once my exam is done tomorrow I can finally get back into simracing. I would like to get a decent offline racer to play around with. Only having iRacing gets a bit bothersome since it is only online racing and sometimes you just want to screw around and race AI. I got Assetto Corsa but that didn't really do it for me. Good game and all but it is more of a luxury car driving simulator.
Kinda sucks there are no simulators with oval content and nascar 2003 is impossible to get.

Does rFactor2 have good AI drivers? Otherwise I'm thinking of getting Stock Car Extreme. But again, I would really like some oval racing too.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

ethanol posted:

um

project cars despite all that

After all the crap surrounding project cars I don't think I'll ever buy it. Unless it is very very cheap.

CaseFace McGee posted:

I haven't tried GSCE, but to me rF2 has pretty solid AI. There is a pretty good amount of content released by ISI, and a nice chunk of third party mods, but the AI quality is better on ISI's content. I get my rear end handed to me regularly by rF2 AI on 100% with the harder cars - historics, GT cars, Indy etc. but I can usually hold my own with the carts and street cars.

Do you have RACE 07 or RRRE? They're cheap and decent games with plenty of content, but their AI isn't as good as rF2.

I have Race 07, which is a great game. Shame that there is no oval racing content in those games. I'm not a huge oval racing fan but it is still pretty fun. I'm a closet redneck ok The only thing available seems to be that monstrosity called Nascar 15, which is made by the people who made Ride To Hell, so no way I'm going near that.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Not sure if you guys talked about it before but, the first pictures of the g29 leaked. They didn't do poo poo for over five years and then when I finally buy a wheel, they are decide to make a new one within six months. But then I saw the picture of it.

:barf:

It looks almost identical to the g27 for the most part, the motor part of it, the design at least, seems to be the same shape too. So probably just a mutated g27 with a ps4 controlled hammered into it.

And the shifter is going to be sold separately apparently, but the wheel will still almost cost the same it did when I got my g27.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 4, 2015

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

jonathan posted:

So iracing has no events with the miata or solstice at the moment. Wtf? That leaves me with spec ford races, and I hate driving that thing in base form.

Edit: So when racing this spec ford, it seems like the only way to plant the car is under throttle. Should I be treating it like a motorcycle and doing all my braking before any steering input then get back on the throttle lightly during turn in ? This just seems like one of those vehicles that doesn't lend itself well to sim racing without feeling gforces.

Edit edit: maybe the devs felt that everyone were just getting stuck using miatas.

It's week 13, things will go back to normal next week.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I'm laughing my rear end off. The g29 appears to be indentical to the g27, but really ugly, shifter removed and it will cost a whopping $534 in Sweden + $79 for the shifter. Meanwhile I got my g27 six months ago for $240, shifter and all. Well done Logitech, not only did you raise the price, but the customer also gets less.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Never felt like a game was too hard for me until I got Dirt Rally. Holy Batman on ice skates rally is hard. I'm 5 minutes slower than everybody and my car became 50cm shorter after finishing my first event.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

What is soft lock even supposed to do in Dirt Rally? They make it sound like the game automatically reduces your wheels rotation based on the car. So I don't have to do it manually. But it doesn't do anything when I enable it and drive a car that has <900 degrees rotation. I managed to drive the 2010 mini and it is a lot of fun when I lock my wheel to the right degrees. But anything else is undrivable for me, even cars with 900 degrees are impossible to control. What gives?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 17, 2015

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Disgustipated posted:

Did you do the wheel calibration? That is a pretty important step so that the game knows how many degrees of rotation your wheel supports.

I did. But everything just feels off. I guess I'll try it again.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

njsykora posted:

Something I've been wondering since I was doing a lot of open wheel racing in Project CARS and love open wheel stuff in general, what are good sims/mods for open wheel racing? I know iRacing has a bunch of options but I'm still working on rookies there but otherwise it seems like a thing that isn't in many sims.

Stock Car Extreme has a lot of open wheel stuff. Waiting to see if it goes on a bigger sale during the steam summer sale before I pick it up myself.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

njsykora posted:

Yeah I was looking at that after making that post but £17 is more than I can justify spending on another sim right now. I know Reiza said on Twitter it's not going to be a daily deal or flash sale so it's not gonna get cheaper in this sale at least.

Oh? Didn't know they said that. Time to buy that poo poo in my case then!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

No matter I recalibrate or not, Dirt Rally is pretty much unplayable for me. Before I set my wheel to 540 degrees or whatever and it worked but now nothing feels right and soft lock does gently caress all. :smith:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

CaseFace McGee posted:

Then can't you just set your wheel to 540 again now? To me, 540 pre-update felt nice and easy, but soft-lock feels better and more difficult. You have to really throw a lot more wheel into it, but it feels better. I would think that you could still force your wheel into 540 in the wheel firmware or driver, depending on what wheel you have. The ffb in Dirt is still not great, as others have pointed out... So it'll feel different no matter what.

I can still lock it to 540 degrees and it gets a bit better. But I thought the whole point of soft lock was that the game locks the wheels rotation for you depending on the car? Or have I misunderstood soft lock completely.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

CaseFace McGee posted:

No, that's what is supposed to happen. I've had problems with the soft lock in rFactor 2 on occasion, it's not an uncommon issue. Just to cover all bases, you're not just overpowering the wheel, right? If your ffb is high, you probably will not be able to distinguish between hard ffb and the soft lock, as they are both using all of your wheel's torque. Also, are you driving a car that is supposed to have 900° wheel rotation or a similarly high amount? Then soft lock would be working properly.

The ffb is completely different from before, so it will feel very different to drive no matter what.

Driving a car that has less than 900 degrees rotation still allows me to rotate the wheel fully like usual. And cars that are 900 feel weird too, but maybe I'm just not used to them. The wheel ingame doesnt follow my wheel at least.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 20, 2015

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Disgustipated posted:

The animation for the driver's hands hasn't been updated for the new FFB model/increased degrees of rotation support. Just because the wheel on screen is hardly moving doesn't mean you're not getting proper steering, that wheel only turns 90 degrees regardless of what the car supports or you have your physical wheel set to. In the video by Betta Lines in that FFB update blog post he said they may not ever do that, but instead give the option to hide the hands and have just the wheel be animated 1:1.

Yeah but in iRacing for example, the wheel and hands still follow your wheel 1:1 until you go over 90 degrees. In Dirt Rally it doesn't follow at all. But I'll try and play around with the settings some more today.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Bentai posted:

96% funding for Reiza.

So just to be clear, everybody gets the content that is funded? Since that is what I've gathered from this crowd funding thing so far.

xzzy posted:

With a side of sexism because that's what boys crave!

I do indeed. It is also a harmless joke.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The Dirt Rally rallycross update is out. But it doesn't seem like you actually race against other people. I thought you always raced others on the same track in rallycross?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

hopterque posted:

Uh, I don't know what you guys are talking about because the rallycross in dirt rally definitely has AI racers in it.

e: Also the rallycross in this case is the actual motorsport, as in, world rallycross, which is against other racers as well.

Well, by other people I meant real players. But I guess that is coming later.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

OhsH posted:

HOW ABOUT TONIGHT

8 pm est get in #racinggoons and lets make poo poo happen OK?!?!

If it wasn't 2am for me I would've joined. :saddowns:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

OhsH posted:

wat r u doin right now bby ? ? ?

Can't play right now, but if you guys ever decide to do a race a bit earlier on weekends I might hop on. Haven't played SCE online yet.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

OhsH posted:

for u euro fucks whats a good time to drive STOCK CAR EXTRENME?!?!?! t ia

Well my timezone is 6 hours ahead of EST. So.. 11am EST to 5pm EST. :v:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

ethanol posted:

Is gsc ever on sale

osker posted:

They did not budge during the steam summer sale, so it is what it is. Given their recent crowd funding thing, I doubt they will drop the price so the donating spergs don't get mad.

Edit. You should get it anyway just for superkarts. Even if you are slow like me you end up having a god drat blast and you learn that ziplock is more of a kart idiot savant than ohsh

I didn't go on a daily deal but it did go 20% off during the entire sale. That's when I bought it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I radically changed my fov recently from 39 to 32 and oh my God so much better. Driving the miata around the ring was so much more intense, and I could anticipate weight transfer more easily.

Yeah I put my fov in Iracing to the lowest setting which is 45, while I do see less around me, what is in front of me is much more important. I play a lot of fps games so having your FOV around 90 is always preferred, but evidently not in racing simulators. :v:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

GhostDog posted:

It's about time. Hopefully that also means a push to get all the content into a consistent "release" state.

Is the AI any good? I wouldn't mind picking it up for offline stock car racing so I can screw around with it without having to go online in iRacing. If I don't buy the lifetime thing, do I still get free content updates? If I understood correctly that is just for lifetime multiplayer access, and from what I've heard multiplayer is pretty dead anyway. (And I have iRacing for multiplayer so doesn't matter much to me)

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I've tried the rfactor 2 demo on two separate occasions now and it never works. It detects my g27 but nothing works. Game thinks all pedals are pressed down to the max and the wheel is turned to the left according to options screen. Calibration doesn't work. What is going on? I knew thar rfactor 2 is mod friendly and poo poo but I didn't expect that I have to apparently code proper wheel detection myself.

Edit:

Suddenly started to work. :ghost:

Boar It fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 26, 2015

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Seeing how the stock cars for rfactor 2 seemed to be rather lackluster. I figured I should get my hands on Nascar 2003 season instead of buying rFactor 2, just to have something to mess around in when bored. But it seems like the game won't work with Windows 8 and up. Anyone who has managed to get it to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

My bad, made it sound like I already have it. I meant that by the looks of things the game will not function on W8 and up.

• Locked thread