Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

holocaust bloopers posted:

PROJECT CARS GO GOLD ALREADY

gently caress

I am so excited for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've been bouncing between Forza and Driveclub for my console racing did, and it simply is not cutting it any more.

I've had an ever increasing frown / confused grimace over the on going let down that is Assetto Corsa

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Control Volume posted:

I remember hearing good things about Assetto Corsa, what ended up happening to make it lame and bad?

For me it gets one thing really right and that is the cars, they are gorgeous and feel awesome.
Other than that the AI is mind bogglingly bad and online races are a shitfest due to no real consequences, just a personal experience I know but there it is.
So that leaves me with a solo hot lap simulator and for this it can be great fun but for the long term it isn't enough for me.
The tracks are OK but inconsistent in look, some look great, some poo poo, but all drive really nicely.
The sounds are odd, there are huge CLANGS and CLUMPS all the time and all the engines have this other worldly food blender type vibe to them.

Overall it feels like there is a lot missing, I am patient and can wait for another year easily, but overall right now the bad outweighs the good for me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah I'm not saying AC is poo poo or anything and I am in it for the long haul, I just want it to be a bit more than it is right now, it's all good, this is a good time to like sims all round I think :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

365 Nog Hogger posted:

These are straight out of AC (photo mode and stock PP's used, no post):

The countach model is great and sounds decent, but the physics are a long way from done, currently is on rails. The audi DTM is a blast, very tail-happy, one of the best sounding mods yet, too.

Stuff like this appears and I just forgive AC for all its faults all over again :allears:

Edit:

You can hear the food blender engine noise well on this vid, it really gets to me for some reson, from the tiny Fiat to the mighty Countach they all sound like kitchen appliances and it is the strangest thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbDBfDXLTn0

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

inkmoth posted:

So, I'm not much of a sim car driver, and definitely not a real racecar driver. Don't even know how to drive a manual transmission.

But I've got my G27 and a Rift and drat is it fun to crash BMWs all over the nordschleife.

Maybe someday I won't hit 3/4 of the walls, but until then, I'll enjoy my spinning.

I can't play racing sims without the Rift now, it just works so well.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
gently caress it I'll move to Buffallo

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I haven't even done a race yet and iRacing is so good drat. It is 'easier' than assetto (only driving the mx-5), but wow driving alongside people who care? With good netcode? :captainpop:

It has unique things about it that no other game even comes close to imo, you're in for a great time :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
P Cars is a good game, holy poo poo what is wrong with people

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CactusWeasle posted:

You're absolutely right

It is a game

Indeed it is, a good one.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ohhhh yeah I get that now, ooops

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

L_Harrison posted:

It's a proven fact in iRacing that the more expensive your rig is the worse you are at driving.

Can confirm

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CaseFace McGee posted:

Upgrade the wheel. I want to add a buttkicker also, but I don't think I'll do it until I upgrade from CSR to ClubSport. The buttkicker stuff will cost you $150+ to do it right, and you'll get more information feedback from a better wheel than from a buttkicker.

They do look awesome though :3: I just got a nice promotion, so I might be able to do these upgrades by springtime.

I've got a Buttkicker and it is awesome beyond words to me, it adds another layer to everything, having your rear end rattled when going over kerbs is great.
I leave it on all the time as well because it;s good for music as well.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GhostDog posted:

Question for people who already use VR: Do you use the virtual driver arms or not? I wonder if it's weirder to see arms that are not aligned with your real arms or if you're invisible.

Yes I do leave the arms in.
After racing for a few minutes and you are focusing to the middle distance while concentrating it's quite something when your brain kicks in and auto fills in your arms for you.
Your brain just goes 'yup whatever these are probably your arms' and it's the strangest thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shine posted:

That reminds me of the rubber hand illusion.

I think it's the same stuff yeah.
It's a strange thing in VR when you come to realise your brain is up there doing its own thing and you aren't in control of it. It's really impressive when it happens but slightly unnerving as well.

• Locked thread