Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
I feel compelled to bring great shame to my family and intend on purchasing the $400 Fanatec CSL seat/GT3 wheel/CSR pedals bundle next week. Is it a solid setup or should I consider something else? I'm already aware that nobody will touch my penis once assembled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

GutBomb posted:

If you can swing it get the csr elite pedals. The difference is really huge in how the brake pedal feels.

Can't bundle it with the seat unfortunately, but there's no reason I couldn't pick it up separately and it would still be cheaper than buying everything individually minus the standard CSR pedals.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Control Volume posted:

Nah because you could downgrade to something like a dirtbike or an ATV or one of those caged ATV buggy things and actually race around in those as well, I think the bigger appeal of motion rigs that racing is kind of a time-intensive thing that requires a lot of travel and waiting and a motion rig bypasses all that in exchange for being an imperfect simulation. I would never make one myself though.

e: Karts too if you want to do road racing.

125cc shifter karts are the king of cheap speed, you won't get that kind of performance outside of Formula cars and they still smoke entry level stuff like Formula Fords and Vee's. Cheap tires, easy transport (I towed mine on an itty bitty trailer dragged behind my MR2), and if you autocross you're guaranteed to be the fastest thing out there. I got into a CRG frame with a Honda engine for under $3k and had a blast. Even crap states with zero non oval race tracks usually have multiple kart road courses to tear rear end around.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 7, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I've had an ever increasing frown / confused grimace over the on going let down that is Assetto Corsa

Probably the quickest gaming honeymoon ever. Yay, a sandbox style racing game....with minimal variables other than "early in the daytime" and "later in the daytime", time attack and race, and....... If it weren't for a complete lack of competition nobody would be happy paying full price for the glorified beta. It doesn't even look good enough to justify its hardware requirements. Who knows it might kick rear end a year from now but dear God PCars needs to come out already and not be another Grid. The next update at least promises to make the smoke and reflection effects not tank anything that isn't a quad SLI 980.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 9, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Control Volume posted:

I remember hearing good things about Assetto Corsa, what ended up happening to make it lame and bad?

More lame than outright bad, just the usual over promising and under delivering. It's a good driving engine in desperate need of something fun to do with it. Just exceedingly bare bones for a full product.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 9, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

For me it gets one thing really right and that is the cars, they are gorgeous and feel awesome.
Other than that the AI is mind bogglingly bad and online races are a shitfest due to no real consequences, just a personal experience I know but there it is.
So that leaves me with a solo hot lap simulator and for this it can be great fun but for the long term it isn't enough for me.
The tracks are OK but inconsistent in look, some look great, some poo poo, but all drive really nicely.
The sounds are odd, there are huge CLANGS and CLUMPS all the time and all the engines have this other worldly food blender type vibe to them.

Overall it feels like there is a lot missing, I am patient and can wait for another year easily, but overall right now the bad outweighs the good for me.

The AI's random rear end application of the brakes drives me mad, it's a bigger immersion breaker than them being outright morons. Most of the game feels like a place holder, which is a little insulting when they're already peddling DLC. Then again it's not like we have any modern equivalent to play instead.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I haven't tried PCars yet (soon to be remedied), but AC is anything but a letdown imo. It doesn't have a huge variety of cars/tracks first party but the modding support is robust and the quality of the released and upcoming mods is high, and the FFB is excellent.

Dreampack/1.1 (preordered already) comes out on payday... I might get a wheel again before I have a real desk at home. :shepspends:

The single best sim experience I've yet had is Alfa GTA on Targa Florio in Power & Glory, everything is just so visceral. The dream pack comes with a GTA, and the Targa conversion lives, so the future is looking bright.

How painful/painless are the mods though? My previous experience has me hesitant, I don't particularly care for janky game installs and questionable support as the game gets updated.

I've got no agenda against AC, I want to like it more than I do but it's just missing so much that was promised. That and the lack of optimization makes it a bitch to get smooth gameplay out of it at times. To keep the minimum framerate above 60 entails running averages much high than that, which introduces input lag with vsync, but to keep the average closer to 60 requires settings that drop the min FPS below that too frequently.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 10, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Enabling MFAA when I moved from a GTX 760 to a 970 seemed to be the biggest visual bump since the game's max AA setting misses a lot, and neither card can supersample without killing the frame rate (running 2560x1080 native). As said, it's just not a terribly pretty game and art direction wasn't high on the dev's list. It's amazing how much effort goes into fudging things graphically in Forza and especially Gran Turismo to give it a more realistic look.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 10, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

osker posted:

This is the best cheap bucket you're gonna find: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2100/overview/

Your back is gonna be pissed you didn't spend more than $50.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

osker posted:

The motherfucker making a rig out of PVC...

Flimsy rear end rigged up base or not, splurge on a seat with a bit of padding if you can.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Control Volume posted:

man pvc is sturdier than wood if you're not stupid about designing the frame

thanks for the junkyard picking advice though, i'll probably go that route when i finally get around to building this thing

Indeed, you can slap together a solid rig with it if you sweat the details. I still insist on a seat with padding as someone that's spent a lot of time in unpadded race seats, although it's not quite as bad in something stationary with no impact to absorb. As mentioned, junked Mazda's are probably your best bet, and non race buckets have much better ingress/egress.

I'm still on the fence about re purposing my car's stock seat and spending the money I intend to put towards a CSL setup on a nice Bride seat instead. But you know, effort.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 10, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Assetto Corsa v1.1 update and dream pack trip report, well done Kunos. The AI is still epileptic with brakes and mostly useless, but slightly less so. Many of the sound anomalies are fixed and there's a general improvement all around, less otherworldly food blender, more combustion engine snarl. Their claims of tweaking how smoke and reflections are rendered are legit, performance is much more consistent and tire smoke no longer tanks the framerate, seeing better performance on the high setting than I ever saw set to normal pre-update. The added weather settings are a nice touch and I dig the pronounced brake light illumination under low light conditions. Haven't gone super in depth or driven all the cars, but everything seems up to the usual AC standard which is very good. They put that 1.1 gigs to good use in this update, here's to hoping it's the first of more to come.

Bummer to hear it's breaking mods, I held off on messing with them until after the update to see how that panned out.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 12, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Well I made the mistake of mentioning I was after a non dogshit racing wheel last time I was at Gamestop, then the fuckers go and order a T300RS which they knew I couldn't resist. drat nice wheel, had to do the start+select+mode to properly center but other than that it worked out of the box. The force feedback is too brutal for my computer desk now I need a goddamn cockpit.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Put some serious time into the T300RS, my first exposure to wheels made this century. It still doesn't feel anything resembling natural and I'm a bit disappointed the belt drive isn't smoother but it's still a blast to use. The steering feel is akin to a car with a failing PS pump which makes smooth countersteering a bit tricky. Been utterly dominating pseudo sims like Gran Turismo 6 and can finally get around the track consistently in everything else. The metal sprung shift paddles feel legit, probably my favorite aspect of the package. The pedals aren't as godawful as they appear which is an unexpected bonus. It's also nice that it doesn't sound like a chattering plastic orgy like my old Sidewinder FFB.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 25, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Tippis posted:

No no no. This is crucial information for anyone making a Rally sim. It wouldn't be properly sim-realistic without the special stage hazards in the Swedish and Finnish events: grumpy spectators attempting suicide because they're over-taxed and have been denied their life-saving coffee.

Yup, yup, yup.

This does raise one legitimate question, is anybody anywhere actually making a loving rally sim? I think the world has gotten more than enough mileage out of RBR and DiRT is just a waste of everyone's time.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 30, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

GutBomb posted:

I had a playseat before but I got married...

Why bitches always be hatin' on the cockpit? :( Jesus Mom they're not games they're simulations!

Are the Obutto setups worth waiting until the end of May for? I'm not married to any particular setup, I just don't want a wheelstand because my office chair is of the unsporting variety and securing my pedals with a bit of wood and duct tape probably isn't a viable long term solution.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 1, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

holocaust bloopers posted:

How's the Thrustmaster T300rs?

I dig mine despite the mediocre pedals, modifying the brake for a progressive feel made a huge difference. Only thing I don't care for is the constant individual game fuckery to make it feel proper in everything that isn't Gran Turismo 6, it's a big enough pain that I haven't got nearly the mileage I should have out of PC sims (this is probably an issue with most wheels if my experience with the Sidewinder FFB is any indication).

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Huh alright. I passed on the G27 deal a while back because I'd like a wheel with PS4 compatibility. The T300rs is on my list.

Get one, it's a nice, well built wheel and there aren't too many options for PS4 compatibility. People bitch about the plastic pedals that don't match the quality of the wheel itself, it's a bit exaggerated and the brake's overly linear feel isn't the worst thing and rectified with $10 and a trip to home depot. As I said, my only genuine complaint is default game profiles for it aren't very good and require custom settings for individual games, Gran Turismo 6 being the sole exception where it just feels how it should out of the box.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 29, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Norns posted:

My enjoyment level went up drastically once I purchased my G27. I have a really hard time playing racing games without it now. It adds a lot to the overall experience. Honestly, some Sims just don't feel playable without one.

Indeed, they make games that were playable with a gamepad almost too easy, and near unplayable ones like Assetto Corsa well, payable.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

IceAgeComing posted:

Are either Assetto Corsa or Project Cars likely to be a Daily/Flash deal in the Steam sale? Want to try one of them but I don't want to waste money on getting them now and then them going down to 50% off the next day...

Also what would be the recommended one to go for?

Assetto has gone on sale before, Project cars is probably too new to see any massive discounts.

One game is only half finished, the other is half broken, either way you lose! Seriously though it all depends on what you're looking for. Assetto is a straight up hotlapping simulator (the Career mode is dreadful with equally dreadful AI), Project Cars is more of a psuedo-sim in the flavor GRID or NFS: Shift. If you're content with just the challenge of driving don't hesitate to get Assetto, in Project Car's current state I wouldn't recommend it at full price.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Pcars is a pseudo sim? Since when?

Don't misunderstand it's not Ridge Racer by any means, but I think it straddles the line between GRID/Shift and Gran Turismo where liberties are taken to keep things accessible (I consider GT a psuedo-sim, cars do not effortlessly throw themselves into consistent four wheel drifts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Fired PCars up for the first time in months. It's amazing how every time I jump in the force feedback on the T300RS is even more hosed than before. Anyone here manage to get one functioning properly with that prolonged loving beta of a game? Everything is fine with every other game I throw at it.

Norns posted:

Do any of you guys use a ultrawide monitor in place of a tripple screen setup? Looking at some of the 34 inch ones...

I've been using a 29" Asus since November and love it. Naturally it doesn't provide the same peripheral vision as a true triple screen setup but it's worth it for the simplicity of setup and lower GPU requirements. PCars, AC, and GRID all work properly out of box without needing Flawless Widescreen or any other additional programs. My only gripe is it isn't a 34".

• Locked thread