Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
by Thrustmaster T300 and T300 you really mean Thrustmaster T300, Thrustmaster TX, and Thrustmaster T500rs right?

That has to be Pastor Maldonado driving the Lotus there.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

I feel compelled to bring great shame to my family and intend on purchasing the $400 Fanatec CSL seat/GT3 wheel/CSR pedals bundle next week. Is it a solid setup or should I consider something else? I'm already aware that nobody will touch my penis once assembled.

If you can swing it get the csr elite pedals. The difference is really huge in how the brake pedal feels.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Norns posted:

And I just bought one.

From where? They are hard to find right now

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

osker posted:

I think SMS pressed the PCARS discs at the same factory where Fanatec makes their gear:

You can tell they have a web form which insets one paragraph of platitudes per checkbox.

At least the ship didn't sink this time.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The worries about grinding were unfounded. I've never done any grinding and I've been able to buy any cars I wanted and still have 25 million in game bucks banked. Never spent a cent on a micro transaction.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ringo Star Get posted:

I really wish there was a place I can physically try out a G27, I have a MOMO that's loud as hell and my Fanatec GT2 is having troubles. Is the G27 gear driven? Is it loud and chatty?

It's louder than a GT2, it is gear driven. If you're used to a Fanatec it's a step down in quality. It's not a bad wheel by any means, but getting the GT2 repaired would probably be cheaper than a G27 and you'd be a lot happier.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Hikaki posted:

Yeah I got excited when I first got my G27 because it was my first wheel with a clutch pedal. Turns out it's basically just a "hit this before changing gear" switch. You can't feel the car jerk so you can't really revmatch, you can't stall the car, and if you screw up the shift you just stay in the previous gear instead of grinding and going into neutral. I'd say it's impossible to learn how to drive a real manual from a sim unless you're just talking about getting used to the concept of choosing your gear.

Rfactor 2 actually emulates it pretty well actually.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
A factor to keep in mind with a quieter wheel is that if you live with other people they will very much appreciate a wheel that doesn't constantly make annoying knocking sounds.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Thrustmaster tx, Thrustmaster TH8A shifter and Fanatec CSR Elite pedals is a perfect combination. I just did some laps in AC with it and I'm so glad to be back with a wheel after a few months of trying with a controller.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

So, what are people's best times in AC for the Yellow Bird on the Nordschleife?

Instead of minutes how about I express it in the number of hairs I've pulled out of my head while trying.

I'm bald now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you do "check stock" it says they have 0 on hand.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
When I lived in Sweden (2000-2002) Swedes would mention in a boasting kind of way that they had the highest tax rate in Europe. They then followed up with information that they also have the highest suicide rate.

I don't know if the highest tax rate thing is true but I did notice that government buildings, hospitals, doctors offices, and other public facilities were very well kept and much nicer looking than anything here in the US. Well staffed with competent and friendly people. Pretty much the exact opposite of going to an American facility like the DMV.

Even though taxes are high it appears that everyone lives well anyway and the kind of poor people we have in the US (people who struggle to feed their families while working 3 jobs and living in the ghetto) just don't exist there. There are still people who hold a fear of people abusing the welfare benefits system but it's not as vitriolic as it is here, and abuse is definitely not widespread (it isn't here either, it's a fear not based in reality)

I plan to move back someday when I retire. Lagom.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 29, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure Sweden actually has a very low suicide rate compared to the rest of Europe. Their taxes are high, but they make way more money on average.

Watch some Swedish movies sometime.

Also I think the suicide thing has to do with the nature of a dark winter up north.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Phuzun posted:

Got my shipping number. Will probably need to build up a 2x4 stand this weekend, as this desk isn't likely to handle the FFB.

Unless it's a tv tray it should be fine. I shook the desk more with shifting than the wheel did with its force feedback. I used a flimsy Ikea deal before I got the wheel stand pro (which I use in front of the sofa now)

I had a playseat before but I got married...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there a way to convert a PC-DVD version to Steam? I did something similar with GT Legends.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jehde posted:

You should be able to activate the key on steam now.

Excellent! I haven't played in a while and that windows live for games bullshit sucks.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Messing around with AC the other night I was amazed at how realistic bumps in the road feel on the Thrustmaster TX. It's so far beyond anything on the console (GT/Forza) as far as giving real-world steering feel.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I bought a copy of Bob's track builder. I've started building maple valley from the Forza series. I'm going to export it from the builder, put it in blender and from there into AC. if it's as easy as it looks I'm going to try to do it with a bunch of tracks I miss from console games that I don't have anymore.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Trial mountain and autumn ring have been done already in case you didn't know. Not by me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have no idea if this will even work right, I've never done the AC side of things. Only used Bob's with rfactor and then converting to rfactor 2. If rfactor 2 is the best I can do, that's fine. I sold my Xbox 360 and the 360 compatible wheel and just want to drive on maple valley again.

Turn 10 has specifically said they won't allow any Forza tracks to be released for Sims do this will probably be just for me, but I'll gladly share with goons if I get something working.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What channel?

Edit: found it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 5, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So I've owned a few Thrustmaster TX wheels in the past. One of them had a power supply problem so they replaced the wheel base. When they replace a wheel base they send a new one, and have you cut the USB cable on the old one and take a picture and send it to them. Well, I did that and held on to it. Then the replacement one had a completely different fault (a problem with the motor) so they sent me another replacement. They had me do the same thing, cut the USB cable, take a picture, send the pic, and that's it. I asked both times if I should throw the wheel base away to which they replied "You can do whatever you want with it." Well, I took the power supply from the one that had a motor fault and put it in the one that had the power supply fault, soldered the USB cable back on, and the thing works great. I have no use for two, so if someone wants a working Thrustmaster TX wheel base with stock pedals and stock wheel rim (everything that comes in the retail package) at a steep discount, now's your chance. I've been doing all of my sim-racing all week with my home hack/repair job and it's been rock solid. The only problem is that there is no longer a warranty on it because A) It's serial number is probably blacklisted as an RMA item, and B) even if it wasn't, when they saw the USB cable was cut and then soldered they would not repair it.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I'd gladly let this thing go for $120 + shipping. The box is big and it's heavy so shipping is probably going to be between $30 and $50 depending on your location.

I'll get some pictures, a video of it working, and an SA mart thread up tonight to make it official.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 7, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Here's the SA Mart thread for the wheel: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711962&perpage=40

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I sit on the couch with a wheel stand pro about ten feet from a 52" tv. When I'm racing the only thing I see is the tv and everything else just gets turned out. The shifter is also up at wheel level. With all of these things being so unnatural and unlike driving a real car it would seem as if it wouldn't feel right but as soon as I start moving down the track I don't notice it anymore and it just feels natural.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just bought it after reading some favorable comparisons to RBR.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jehde posted:

Yeah I impulse bought the gently caress out of this. It's already pretty great. I wouldn't quite call it RBR levels of sim, but it definitely feels a bit more sim-like than previous Dirt games, feels kinda in between the two. Tracks are longer, narrower, and twistier than Dirt 3, and there's already a bunch for the 3 launch locations. Also all the cars from Dirt 3 are included, so lots of stuff to play with already. Weather effects are already in, damage, it's all there. Except yeah pacenotes are notably missing for whatever reason. Kinda wish there was a slider to reduce the washed out effect.

I will say you can get a really good feel for momentum and find yourself flying around corners really satisfyingly in no time.

From internet comments it appears pace notes are working for some of people. I'll report when I play later tonight.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Rfactor 2.

Edit: As for dirt rally, feedback is good, and I get no pace notes.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 28, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

advion posted:

There is FFB but it needs work it's a bit lacking at the moment.

It's weird because it's pretty strong on tarmac and weak on snow, ice, and gravel. In some ways it feels pretty realistic because on ice the wheel moves very freely and has no spring back to center while on tarmac the spring back is fairly strong. It's just not what we are used to and it's not really simulating the bumps with vibrations yet. I really liked being able to feel the different surfaces though. I could tell the difference between a wet surface and an ice surface by wheel feel alone which is light years ahead of any other games in the dirt sites where snow, ice, and gravel always feel the same.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

Gutbomb did you ever get very far with Maple Valley?

Yes, I messed with the exported mesh but it was too big of a mess. I used it for elevation, width, and camber reference though. I drew the track in bobs track builder, exported to rfactor for testing and I'm happy with the layout. I still need to put in scenery, walls, and kerbs. I'm not going to match the scenery of the Forza version. The track layout is what I wanted, I don't care about matching the scenery so it's just going to be a generic track with grass and maybe some hills in the middle.

In bobs track builder you draw the track out with splines with control handles to make smooth curves. I turned the mesh detail way above a typical rfactor track to make sure it smoothes out all of the bumps.

I'm currently working out how to do the rfactor to ac conversion right now and think I've figured it out. I'll try to make a video tonight and post it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 28, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's not just that though. In "realistic" sims you have something like a spec miata that loses grip at a lower speed than it would in real life. It's not just a disconnect. Even professional racing drivers have said that there is more grip in a real car than in something like iracing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Goetta posted:

I want to mess around with F1 as well but man rFactor 2 just looks ugly in ever screenshot I've seen. Is it noticeably bad like this in game?

In motion you don't notice that doesn't look amazing because your focus is on the driving. Also many of the tracks out for it are miss made by non-pros so the textures used are lower resolution or whatever. Again, not did you notice when you are racing. Rfactor2 is really good.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Look further ahead this an you think you have to and start your turns earlier than you think you have to. It's fun and effective.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have been distracted by Dirt Rally so I haven't been working on Maple Valley for the past few nights. I'll try to get back to it this weekend if time allows.

In Dirt Rally I'm using these settings for the Thrustmaster TX and it feels great:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ffb-tweak-no-void.104688/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kilonum posted:

I really wish I could set up my wheel right now, even ETS2 feels weird without it.

What's wrong with your wheel?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Alright maple valley news, or should I say Syrup Canyon. I've "finished"modeling in Bob's Track Builder and exported it in rFactor 1 format. It's playable, and it feels like maple valley, at least to me. My plans from here are to convert it to rFactor 2 and from there to Assetto Corsa. Also I'm planning on making the variants as well (full reverse, short, and short reverse) but for now it's just the regular full layout.

If you have rFactor 1 please check it out and give me feedback.

http://gutbomb.net/SyrupCanyonRF1.zip

It's not pretty, I just used default textures. I didn't duplicate the landscape of maple valley, just the track layout. A notable landscape difference is that I didn't make the bridge a covered bridge. When you're on the bridge it's not really obvious that you're on the bridge, the track just narrows a little bit. when you go under, then it's obviously a bridge. Also the kerbs are for decoration only for now, I haven't figured out how to make them rumble yet. I didn't do any optimization so it might run like poo poo on older machines. Anyway, please check it out and let me know what I can do to improve it.

Edit: figured out the kerbs and re-uploaded.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 4, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Does AC support reverse tracks?

It would just be a new track with the driving line sent the other direction.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I finished Syrup Canyon (maple valley) for rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa today. It looks like poo poo, but it feels good. It's a little bumpy, I did what I could. It's my first track and I wasn't concerned with making things look nice.

rFactor (52 MB)
rFactor 2 (69 MB)
Assetto Corsa (70 MB)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This is awesome, can't wait to try it.

The rFactor 2 version is the best. Carrying it over to assetto corsa added a lot of bumps, and I don't know the editing tools for it well enough so the trees are butt ugly and none of the texture blending of the ground(gravel to grass) was carried over.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wolrah posted:

It's still pretty enjoyable on AC. For some reason it wouldn't work properly (showed up in the launcher but wouldn't actually launch in to the game) if I put it in the tracks folder under My Documents, but was fine in the game directory.

I found the same issue, wasn't sure if it was just that track or any mod track, as previously I'd been putting them all in the game directory. Do you have other mod tracks in the my documents area? if so I'll look into why it's not working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wolrah posted:

Does the game do the trigger rumble if using an Xbone controller? I can't find my microusb cords at the moment otherwise I'd just try it myself.

Unfortunately not. Microsoft hasn't enabled trigger rumble in its drivers for the controller.

• Locked thread