Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just to comment from the front page, I've had a few different racecars over the years and dollar amount doesn't really play into enjoyment in real life. A lap day with a cheap fox mustang is just as fun as a lap day in a ferrari or race prepped s2000 or whatever.

Auto-X in a gutted civic is just as fun as a Corvette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im pretty excited about building an Oculus setup for a racing sim. Probably going to throw down the cash for a system, cockpit and headset once the consumer version is out.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I decided to hold off on a cockpit and gaming PC until the oculus rift hits the shelves in consumer form. In the meantime, I went out and spent $1400 on R/C cars and modifications. If any of you gamer types have thought about getting into the RC hobby, it seems like now is the best time it's ever been. Everything fits everything and electric setups are "cheap" and hilariously fast.

I got a 2wd Traxxas Slash VXL. When it takes off down the street, I giggle because it leaves like an 8 second drag car.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CaseFace McGee posted:

Dammit, stop making me want to spend money! I have a hard enough time saving up for a house, mountain bike, speaker cab components, and sim rig crap.

Don't watch this then ?... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltJRCjM6T_A

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just a Forza video but here is me in an 800hp Raptor that only sat in A class. I raced super clean but everyone hated me because as long as I didn't flip it in the corners it freight trained on the straights. Anyways in this vid an AE86 tried to push me off the road and spin me. And then karma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XQyn3e2x0

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The sweeping right hand turn with crest when you run maple valley reverse. Which real life track has one of those ? Its an american track. Lots of green grass on the sides.

Maybe its Watkins glen ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 6, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Who/where do I throw money at to have a cockpit for gaming. I already have a wheel and pedal combo. If possible I'd like to be able to break it down when not in use.

Also I'm in Canada

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Going to get a cockpit shipped in,

If you had the choice would you run triple monitor 2d, 106" Projector 3D, or Oculus VR ? I already have the projector setup but I could do the other two.

I too have a 5 bedroom house.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Triple will only require 1 more monitor and the cockpit then. I'm running a gtx 960 video card so iracing should be ok. I get 80fps at highest settings currently with single monitor.

As for DiRT, drat that looks fun. The night racing looks bang on. I wonder if they could open it up a bit and do some JeepSpeed Cherokees or maybe a Raptor and Trophy truck. No idea if their physics or game engine can support suspension travel like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU_fieZsYx8

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

And way more cool toys than I could ever hope for. Can I come live with you, instead?

Only if you're willing to go through a sex change.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

In all seriousness though I'm pretty much done buying expensive toys. I'm going to downsize shortly.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of. I think I'm going to build a race cockpit out of spite. Those obutto's are 2x the price in Canada. I have all the woodworking tools I need. Can anyone direct me to a set if plans for something good ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Deforming physics... Viper racing did this really well back in the 90's... And that game was based on the grand prix legends engine I believe.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I purchased the dirt rally game, but haven't played yet because I left in the morning for a big energy production job and havent been home in a week. Any idea if it will run decently on a i5/gtx 960 ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jehde posted:

It uses the Dirt 3 engine with a couple things tacked on so you should be fine. I have an i5+770 and it runs everything on max at 60 fps.

Do you do triple monitor ? Im running 57xx by 1080p I didn't get a performance hit at all with iracing. didn't drop a single fps from 1920x1080

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I dunno, haven't really been into videogames since the late 90's. Its all new to me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dirt rally is loving hard at first, spent 15 minutes playing it so far. I can't figure out which buttons map out to what on my Logi Gforce GT though. On the screen it just says button 1 button 2 etc, but no clue what that is on my wheel.

Spintires seems really loving fun.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So iracing has no events with the miata or solstice at the moment. Wtf? That leaves me with spec ford races, and I hate driving that thing in base form.

Edit: So when racing this spec ford, it seems like the only way to plant the car is under throttle. Should I be treating it like a motorcycle and doing all my braking before any steering input then get back on the throttle lightly during turn in ? This just seems like one of those vehicles that doesn't lend itself well to sim racing without feeling gforces.

Edit edit: maybe the devs felt that everyone were just getting stuck using miatas.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 10, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just completed a race in the FSR at Laguna... Why the gently caress am I being put in with class A drivers while im in class D ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Torabi posted:

Driving a car that has less than 900 degrees rotation still allows me to rotate the wheel fully like usual. And cars that are 900 feel weird too, but maybe I'm just not used to them. The wheel ingame doesnt follow my wheel at least.

Mine neither. The guy barely turns the wheel even though I can turn mine seemingly forever.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Disgustipated posted:

The animation for the driver's hands hasn't been updated for the new FFB model/increased degrees of rotation support. Just because the wheel on screen is hardly moving doesn't mean you're not getting proper steering, that wheel only turns 90 degrees regardless of what the car supports or you have your physical wheel set to. In the video by Betta Lines in that FFB update blog post he said they may not ever do that, but instead give the option to hide the hands and have just the wheel be animated 1:1.

Oh I'm aware, its just the visual reference versus my movement was throwing me off in an odd way.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fayez Butts posted:

If you're on a G27 click your middle two red buttons on your shifter and the 9 o'clock button (where X would be on an Xbox controller) on the face pad at the top. That will switch you to a 540 degree setup. It's the best I've found for Dirt Rally

I have the PlayStation branded driving force GT which is fine. The rotation and everything is good. Only issue, it doesn't self centre at the race start. So I started last night's online daily race and I didn't know the wheel was turned 360* to the left. When I started I instantly spun and got wedged against the wall banner thing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nope it doesn't match at the moment.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a way to drive the lower performance cars on pikes peak ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Munko posted:

This feels like a bit of a game changer. After the FFB patch things still didn't quite feel right, but this is leaps and bounds better. With a T500RS I think a long stage in this game counts as a workout. By the time I'd finished the league events I had to hang out next to a fan for a while.

I still suck at RWD, except now I don't have the FFB to blame.

Is this released from the developers ? I'm not sure I understand the concept of this download.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is going to be hard to explain, but does anyone else get the feeling that dirt rally is kind of like a rail shooter, but for cars ? What I mean is, it almost seems like they wouldn't be able to just out in a normal course like Laguna seca. Almost like the game just wants to follow the course. Like the original need for speed game.

Does this make any sense ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I mean I get rally, and I want to rally in a rally game, but I just get this weird sensation that the game engine mechanics wouldn't translate to a circuit course. Or almost like the car is being guided along the rally stage making driving easier than it should be.

Pretend we took a tarmac rally course and put it into a seemingly more universal engine such as iRacing. Would I still be able to get the car through the stage pulling off drifts with such ease ?

Sigh, maybe I've been in work camp too long.

Edit: maybe it's a FOV thing. What FOV setting do you guys with triple monitors use, and what angle are the side monitors supposed to be ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 2, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

I understand that what you're trying to say is that it feels like a (REALLY) old school arcade racing game, where the physics amounted to "turns make you drift towards the edge of the track, try to stay in the middle." I don't get that feeling at all, though. You can easily drive around normally if you find an open flat spot to do so, and there are a few places in the game where I have found cuts.

Thanks. This is what I meant. I think it's maybe a FOV thing, or that my "cockpit" setup is less than perfect.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of monitors. Some videos have them set up with a low angle for the side monitors, some at a very high angle where the side monitors are beside your head.

And some with a head tracker thing that seems to add extra angle when you turn your head. What is best ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So raceroom... Is it enjoyable ?

Edit: Why doesn't Empty Box on youtube use triple monitors ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 15, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

njsykora posted:

With triples there's also the performance aspect, my games performance on my PC drops fairly noticably when I'm using double monitors so triples are probably beyond it. When I factor in the PC upgrades I'd need and the cost of 2 more mountable monitors I figure that's money I'd rather put towards upgrading my wheel/pedals.

I didn't want to invest a ton of money because I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it for more than a weekend.

I purchased a cheap GTX 960 card, a used i5 tower with 8gb ram, and 3 used mismatched 22" monitors for $70 each. Strangely, I get around 80fps with a single monitor with the graphics slider maxed out (and mirrors turned on). With triple monitors enabled I don't get a performance hit.

Eventually I'll sell this system and upgrade but for 650 or whatever it cost its not bad.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Stadium supertrucks will be really fun. I once set up a raptor in Forza with 800hp that was way down in A-class due to the weight. I kept getting booted from races by the hosts because it was slow and tippy in the turns, and then on exit it just freight trained passed everyone. I was racing clean but I guess it was shaking peoples ideals.

Here is a video on an AE86 who was trying to "pit" me, getting some instant karma.

https://youtu.be/56XQyn3e2x0

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ziploc posted:

You do know stadium supertrucks are actually kinda small right?

Yup. But don't have anything else to compare to in a sim game. I was actually pretty close to building something similar in real life from a Ranger or Colorado/Canyon pickup. The problem is it would likely get stuck a lot since all the fun rallly style trails around here are linked with mud pits.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tony Montana posted:

Jesus Christ it's a harmless joke, can we not try and wash all the levity and fun out of the world.. What is wrong with people..

Look at this guy here with his weak tables. (kidding I could never get my bike horizontal either).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This $2000 Stock car extreme indiegogo package...

Earns: -Dev forum access; -Voting rights in forum; -Beta access to new builds; -Steam copy for our next game (including all eventual DLCs); -Reiza collectors kit with DVD copies of Formula Truck 2013 & Stock Car Extreme + Reiza Sticker + Reiza T-Shirt; -A poster of Emerson Fittipaldi in his Copersucar, signed by legendary 2-time F1 champion himself; -A trip to the final race of Stock Car series from the VIP stands of Interlagos along with Reiza crew, all travelling & local expenses paid

Seems kinda cheap if you look at it as a cool vacation, and I need a vacation.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

xzzy posted:

I would love to give Race Drivin' and Hard Drivin' a go with modern hardware, no other updates. Just to see if the driving sim was as good as I remember it.

High school bud and I pumped every quarter we got for three years into that game.

No poo poo. That game was amazing, considering it came out in one variant in around 89 and was still the bee's knees will into the mid 90's.

There was also a helicopter sim the developer put out around the same time.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are there any PC sims where a pony car league could be created ? Or would I be stuck with Forza ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok so my surround sound system is over 3000 watts of nitro injected war rig including 2 18" low tuned subwoofers. With a driving cockpit, would this setup be ideal or could I achieve just as much immersion with a mid quality pair of headphones and a butt-kicker style transducer ? What about with VR ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought the ford rs200 caused the end of the group B era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good handling and fast times often don't go together.

Max grip and twitchyness mean fast, if you're equally twitchy and value a laptime over your life.

• Locked thread