Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Atomizer posted:

This might be part of it (although I have 4 monitors, I only play on one because I use a 2x2 setup) although I still think the majority of the problem is that you know you're not really moving at any speed. Like, you know how when you're in an actual vehicle (car, plane, whatever) you can tell when you're moving even with your eyes closed? Not only can you detect acceleration, deceleration, and lateral motion, you also get feedback from the controls, so if you're driving you can tell when you're losing traction. Force Feedback can only compensate for the latter to a degree.

Even though the cars in Assetto Corsa are race-prepped, and much faster than my own, when I'm flossin' in my Pussy Magnet I can drive it way harder than any car in a sim (in the sense that I can push it to its limits without misjudging speed and/or losing control.) I mean is it just me or do you guys also have some trouble adapting to virtual cars?

Everyone experiences the "virtual car adaptation" you're going through. You just can't get a proper feeling for speed in your seat as in real life. It takes a lot of getting used to, as you rely a lot more on listening to the tire squeals etc to know when you're breaking traction.

iRacing is expensive, but there's almost always promos going on where you can pick up a year of subscription for the cost of a single AAA title (around $50). Just keep an eye out. Someone usually posts in the iRacing thread when a new promo is happening too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

I know everyone's raving about asseto corsa and someone actually laser scanning the Nurburgring but in between sections of writing my dissertation I've been messing with Game Stock Car Extreme and its honestly some of the most fun I've had in a long time. Especially the karts: I was always a little cynical about whether something that small and powerless would be worth sim driving but my God its fun. Even the gutless rental karts are really fun. I think a lot of it is because of the fact they are so positive and you can feel where the limit is and when you've gone over it. Its actually helping me get reaccustomed to sim racing a bit; they are perfect for someone who is just getting into the thing.

This endorsement is the straw that broke my wallet's camel's back and I picked up GSE yesterday. I agree every bit with this post. This is the first time anything simulating Karts has actually been fun. It's flat out amazing.

Everyone : race the karts in this. It's sweet. (oh god someone make some dirt ovals)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Apparently Codemasters has suddenly put Dirt Rally up on Steam Early Access. I'm not holding my breath for an accurate simulation, but it might be fun.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

if you choose repairs that take longer than 30 minutes total, it tells you how much time you'll be penalized. I usually just press the "crew recommendation" button.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

KillHour posted:

We don't have traffic, which is all the reason you need. :colbert:

As a Jamestownian, I have anal / mental issues keeping tabs on traffic surrounding me even in Buffalo's urban-easy-mode.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

One of us! One of us!

Meh, buying is so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Wanderer89 posted:

Finally joined the league for dirt rally, I've been streaming lately if anyone wants to follow: http://www.twitch.tv/wanderer_00

foot cam displaying fancy 3-pedal'ed shifting. you're far superior to me, sir.

• Locked thread