Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Falken posted:

Surely there must be a point where "Buy a real car, take to racetrack" becomes the cheaper, better option.

Here it is

Also, when I say "buy a real car" I mean, buying a brand new, off the showroom Ferrari or Porsche, not a 20 year old Honda Accord.

Definitely cheaper up front, but in a sim your fuel, maintenance, and repair costs are effectively $0 (yeah not exactly given electricity and occasional work on moving parts, but close enough). A crash or money shift costs nothing but pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Control Volume posted:

Also I guess this is the best place to ask, if I were to say build a cockpit out of PVC, where the hell do I find a seat for that? Is it just a cheap racing seat with a cheap cover thrown over it or is there something I'm missing here because even the cheap seat options seem kind of pricey.

Thirding the junkyard. My first cockpit has a passenger seat from a 2nd gen Mazda MX-6 (aka Ford Probe) and it's great, though it did require a LOT of time with the carpet shampooer to get all the coffee out of it (thank $deity my bet paid off and the brown stain was in fact coffee). My second one currently has a seat from a Hyundai Tiburon, but I think it's going to get swapped for the MX6 seat since I like that one more. Between the two I think I've spent $45 total.

There are a lot of '90s/'00s "sport" FWDs in the JYs that have pretty good seats as long as you're <200 pounds.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I got an invite this morning for a Fanatec CSWv2 that I don't think I'm going to be able to use before it expires (a week from today, March 26). If anyone's interested in it let me know, I should know by the end of the day whether there's any chance of buying it myself. Of course for all I know they just sent invites to everyone.

If only they'd have released details on their XBone compatible wheels, I started playing Horizon 2 again last night so if this thing was XBone compatible I'd have been a lot more likely to make a dumb decision.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

Sell your XBone and put the money towards the wheel. Duh.

No, because this

Norns posted:

Don't do this. The forza games are a blast.

KillHour posted:

I keep hearing this, but dropping $350 on a console just to play one ($60) game that needs its own ($200+) accessory is getting into serious "I could spend this money on other things" territory for me.

Also, weren't people bitching that the new Forza is a microtransaction grind-fest?

Thought the same, then I got given FM5 and Horizon 2 for Christmas. Between having those on my game rack staring me in the face and the Halo 5 beta going live at the same time I couldn't resist.

FM5 really doesn't have my attention like FM4 did so I haven't played enough to tell how bad the grind is, but Horizon 2 is really fun. The vibrating triggers on the Xbone pad really do help make gamepad play a lot more tolerable than it was on the 360.

I still wouldn't recommend buying a console for one game though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Maple Valley is one of my favorite tracks in any racing game.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jehde posted:

I think you wanna mod the brake pedal by putting a spring or something in it.

On the MS wheel I had a great experience by cutting chunks out of a stress ball and wedging them behind the pedal. Just experiment to find what you like. About a quarter of a stress ball feels really similar to my Fanatec pedals' load cell stuff.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 30, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GutBomb posted:

The rFactor 2 version is the best. Carrying it over to assetto corsa added a lot of bumps, and I don't know the editing tools for it well enough so the trees are butt ugly and none of the texture blending of the ground(gravel to grass) was carried over.

It's still pretty enjoyable on AC. For some reason it wouldn't work properly (showed up in the launcher but wouldn't actually launch in to the game) if I put it in the tracks folder under My Documents, but was fine in the game directory.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GutBomb posted:

I found the same issue, wasn't sure if it was just that track or any mod track, as previously I'd been putting them all in the game directory. Do you have other mod tracks in the my documents area? if so I'll look into why it's not working.

I've tried it once before with another track and it also didn't work, so I don't think it's specific to yours. I'll try a few others this afternoon.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Project Cars finally motivates me to set up my racing cockpit again...

...and my brake pedal doesn't work.

Seems like the general consensus on the internets for a CSR-E brake pedal that worked last time it was used and doesn't now is a damaged load cell. Gas and clutch still seem to work fine in both PC and 360 modes so that apparently means the PCB is fine. Here's hoping Fanatec's shipping on the replacement parts is reasonably quick.

Does the game do the trigger rumble if using an Xbone controller? I can't find my microusb cords at the moment otherwise I'd just try it myself.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GutBomb posted:

Unfortunately not. Microsoft hasn't enabled trigger rumble in its drivers for the controller.

drat, that feature's made my lack of 'bone-compatible wheel a lot more tolerable.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bUm posted:

Apparently Ferrari was also looking to get meaningfully into the rally game; what a different world rally racing would've been if not for the Group B tragedies causing it to be shut down.

IIRC the F40 came from the remains of that program. The 288 GTO was the homologation version of the intended Group B car, but it never raced so Enzo had it redeveloped in to an ultimate road car.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Keket posted:

Speaking about wheels, how easy is it to hook up a xbox wheel to the pc and get it working? the old big white one with awesome FFB.

It'll connect up just fine to the Xbox Wireless Adapter thingies, but it appears as a normal Xbox controller as far as games are concerned so you won't get proper FFB, just half-assed rumble.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

I think Randall Munroe just told me to build a simulator cockpit.

Who am I to argue?

The 8 ball has spoken. Do it. You won't regret it as long as you have the space (roughly 2 feet x 6 feet).

Here's my two as they currently sit, even the ghetto one (built without any real plans while drunk) is a million times better than rigging a wheel to a desk and trying not to push your chair backwards.

Anyone who raced with me back on Forza 4 probably heard the ghetto one creaking around under the load of the Fanatec force feedback over voice chat. My shifter was mounted to that bit of plywood sticking up and flapped around a lot too, so the fancy one (built from Ricmotech plans) is a lot nicer for that.

I have the parts to build another of the nice ones and will probably be moving things around so the kegerator sits between them whenever I get around to building it. Who doesn't want draft beer within reach while racing?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

I live alone in a 5 bedroom, 2400 sq ft house. I have enough space to build 10 of them and forget they're there. I just don't have the money right now (mostly because of the aforementioned house :downs:).

They're really not that expensive.

The ghetto one pictured was built out of like five scrap 2x4s I found in my garage, I think the nice one ended up being about $60 worth of parts and whatever the plans cost me (though there are also plenty of open plans on the internet, I just liked how this one looked). Both seats are from the local pull-a-part and cost $25 a piece. You can build one without a display stand and just slide it in front of your TV when you want to use it, or put a platform on it that you can set a PC monitor on, whatever makes more sense.

Oh, I just realized you were probably talking about the wheel. Yeah, that's going to be a few hundred bucks new for anything worth having, though the used market might not be too bad.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Norns posted:

Guy has 5 rooms. People are talking about weed and sim racing, two of my favorite things. The buffalogoon fort sounds awesome.

Seriously, if my one non-smoking non-racing housemate ever decides to leave apparently I should come to this thread first to look for a replacement. We're all goons but the third guy doesn't react well to weed and has no interest in cars.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, the beam physics model is excellent but their tires are all greased hockey pucks. I'm pretty sure a lot of the devs came from Rigs of Rods which had the same problem.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just fired it up for the first time in a while and they do seem to have improved it a fair bit. Here's my attempt at a few laps on the race track in a cop car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0V2zvUY200

I turned on a bunch of debug displays to show what the simulation's dealing with.

The car in game has a bit more torque than a real one would but I had some pretty cheap tires on mine and it still wasn't that slidey. I wasn't all that great at smooth inputs on the 360 pad, but I still think it was too willing to let go.

Much better than it was before though. It's actually sort of possible to drive fast.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bentai posted:

Steam Summer Sale is live. DiRT Rally is 25% off for anyone who's holding out.

Standard Steam Sale rules apply, never buy something on the normal sale rate until the last day unless you absolutely must have it now. Daily deals and flash sales are the ones to jump on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Also what kind of nerd sets up three cameras to record his driving. Does anyone really care that much?

I think it's mostly because of videos like these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdy8CG09rSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU

People talk about the fancy footwork of the pros, so someone who wants to feel like a pro sim driver wants to show off what they're doing.

There might also be a small bit of proving they're actually doing it rather than just running with assists on, idunno.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Crossposting from the Project CARS thread, patch 2.0 just went live on Steam. Here's the changelog for anyone who doesn't follow that thread: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes-OUT-NOW-on-PC

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Screw all these stupid wheels shipping with useless pedal sets. It can't be that much more expensive to make another plastic pedal and one more potentiometer. Charge me $20 more and don't include the autotragic-only piece of crap.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Great Joe posted:

How's the FFB-support in MAME? I wanna try a bunch of arcade racers and it seems like they'd be way too twitchy without the proper response from the wheel.

I immediately got excited thinking about playing Daytona USA on my sim setup, then got disappointed when I looked it up and found that it uses a processor that's not well documented and thus doesn't run in MAME. The Xbox 360 port didn't feel right.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Question for those of you running VR setups, inspired by this question from the Flight Sim thread:

Jiblet posted:

I'm yet to be convinced about VR. Not that i've tried out any of the contenders so you might want a bucket of salt to go with this opinion...

For sims where I have pretty much full HOTAS control (So, DCS A10C and some other simpler sims) it should be fine. But if at any moment I have to find a key on the keyboard in a hurry while essentially blindfolded... I think it'll :arghfist:RUIN MY IMMERSION:arghfist:

Is it disorienting when your real-world "cockpit" area doesn't really match what you're seeing in-game? Particularly as far as input positions, like the shifter and handbrake.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
On FOV can we all just agree on these two things:
  • There is a "correct" FOV setting which produces the most accurate image for your screen size and seating position.
  • There is a minimum useful FOV, below which the loss in ability to see around your vehicle outweighs the distortions caused by an inaccurate FOV setting.
If your seating and display situation allows for your "correct" FOV to be usefully large, it's probably best to at least try using that first. If not, do what feels like the best compromise.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CaseFace McGee posted:

However, it is listed as part of the CSL product family, not ClubSport. I'd guess that means they will be releasing a cheap wheel base, maybe around $200, to replace the CSR stuff.
You seem to have guessed correctly:

quote:

This is the first component of the new CSL series which is positioned below the very popular Clubsport Series.
This steering wheel is an add-on for your existing ClubSport V1 or V2 base or the upcoming CSL base.
From http://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/181/fanatec-releases-csl-wheel-p1-steering-wheel-for-xbox-one

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

The Africa one wasn't very good though. :colbert:

It was certainly hit or miss on the entertainment value, but had plenty of hilarious moments and had some great scenery shots as Top Gear is always good at.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not totally sure, but a quick look at the steam forums tells me that the steam link needs to support the device and send inputs to the PC. The peripheral does not get installed on the PC you're streaming from.

At least on the beta build there's support for a USB-over-Ethernet driver. In theory that should support anything, though IIRC it says it only works with one device so you'd have to run Fanatec-style setups in console mode where the pedals are connected to the wheel base. I've been meaning to give it a try, maybe I'll do that tonight.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

holocaust bloopers posted:

VR is far from dead when we live in a world where people will happily drop 400-1K on fake steering wheels and joysticks.

My thoughts exactly. One of my housemates just dropped $400 on a HOTAS setup for his space sims and I have probably $1000 in to wheels, pedals, and cockpits at this point with more likely to come in the future. $600 for a display device that is a total game changer as far as immersion goes is almost reasonable by comparison.

I'm going to sit on the sidelines until both are actually in public hands and able to be independently compared, but after borrowing a DK1 for a week I'm sold on VR and will gladly pay good money for it. For the HMD alone it's at the high end of my ideal range, but still not terrible. I'm curious where the Vive's pricing will land with the controllers included.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 6, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

njsykora posted:

A post in the VR thread made me think. If I'm really desperate for a VR headset in the next few years I could just grab a DK2 off ebay when all the early adopters are selling them off.

I was just BSing with a friend about the same idea. DK2 prices on eBay were up pretty close to where CV1 landed, so maybe those will fall back down towards the original price and become a relatively cheap way to get in to the market once the early adopters start getting their new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tony Montana posted:

What do you think is inside an XBONE or PS4? Magic Sony and Microsoft hardware developed by a consumer electronics company and a software house or the same hardware developed by the world's leaders in virtual rendering except older and shittier because it's all packaged up in a nice consumer bundle?
I'm sure you actually know, but for the benefit of anyone here who doesn't nerd out over console specs the PS4 is basically a custom AMD A10-series processor (significantly lower clocked than retail models, but 8 cores where retail units only go to 4) and a Radeon 7870-ish GPU. The Xbone is pretty similar, slightly faster clocked on the CPU with a worse GPU and slower RAM (DDR3 vs. GDDR5). They're both low-end gaming PCs from a spec standpoint, though obviously the standard console advantage comes in to play where the fixed configuration allows significant optimization compared to the variety of PC hardware.

With that out of the way...

We know that PSVR's display is roughly equal to a Rift DK2, but clocked at 120Hz instead of what, 75? It's a 1080p OLED providing 960x1080 per eye. We also know that the PS4 can't do 1080p60 in a lot of games just rendering plain old 2D, so 1080p120 at any kind of modern visual detail is right out. Finally we know that there's some kind of mystery processor that sits inline between the console and the headset.

My guess, completely pulled out of my rear end, is that the PS4 will render at whatever framerate and resolution it can manage and do so with a very wide and heavily fisheyed FOV, possibly a full 360. Higher detail in the direction the console sees you looking at the time it's rendering the frame and lower out towards the edges. The mystery box will then take this image and internally render it on to a sphere inside which the virtual "camera" lives, and the resulting image gets delivered to the headset. That way you get the ability to look around and have your view get updated at 120Hz, but the quality may not be ideal the further off the initial point you're now looking until the PS4 catches up with the next frame.

Again I'm completely guessing on that one, but I think it would work well enough to maintain the illusion, especially given the limited resolution.

I'm definitely more on the "PC Master Race" side of things, my Xbone only exists for the exclusives I can't get anywhere else like Forza, but I do agree that PSVR is the best chance mass-market VR has any time soon so I hope they've managed to pull some magic with this to provide a decent experience.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 7, 2016

• Locked thread