Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Lots of info in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's no motor add on to the accuforce. It's an industrial servo motor with a control box. The servo cranked to the max can break your arm. That's one reason why I'm wary of getting one of those. My CSW is already really strong and I have to be careful to let go of that so it doesn't break my thumbs. Be wary of a device that comes with an emergency stop button.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Norns posted:

You might as well build a racecar with the cost of a setup like that.

I know what you're trying to say but that's kind of dumb. Yes, you can get an actual race car for the cost of a motion rig like that. But once you factor in the cost of transportation of your race car, maintenance, and other running costs, it's cheaper to have the motion rig.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/shifters/clubsport-shifter-sq-us.html

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 7, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The fanatec CSW v2 is the best you can get with belt drive. You can probably get a v1 for cheaper which will be nearly as good. They don't make the v1 anymore so there aren't any or many replacement parts if something goes wrong. If you want to get into direct drive wheels, you're looking at an accuforce which is 1800 dollars or a DIY solution which could cost anything. The DIY for accuforce which comes with a control box, the motor and maybe a couple other things is 1400 I think. You still have to buy your own rim, attach it to the motor and mount the motor somehow. Plus you have to buy the simvibe software to run it. For 1400, you can get a CSW v2, a rim, CSR elite pedals and probably the CSS or CSS SQ shifter.

If you are getting fanatec pedals, I think the highest you should go are CSR Elite. The clubsport pedals are probably really good, but at that point, you should go for a better set of pedals with a better load cell.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Mine has worked out very well. It's annoying as hell to set up. Once you have it set up to your liking, it's awesome.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Mods are really easy in Assetto Corsa. Luckily there is strong mod support because the default content is kind of lame.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anytime someone posts a picture it's always doctored. They might say it's straight from the game but they did something post processing to make it look nicer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I only use SweetFX for sharpening on the rift. It increases the perceived resolution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't go from belt driven to gear driven, you'll regret it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The closest you'll get to F1 sim anytime soon is when iRacing releases the Mclaren. Hopefully modified so that it works.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That is kind of dumb seeing as the Euro and the Dollar are only 8-9 cents away. Maybe there's a bunch more taxes that go into the price in Europe.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Humble Sea Bass was trying to make Maple Valley but I don't know how far he got. Good luck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Your video is private.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I did, needs a lot of smoothing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How can you drive with your TV like that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You will be a lot faster with a better FOV. Sitting so far away with an FOV like that makes everything seem faster than it really is. It's hard to explain, but it makes it much easier to drive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Gutbomb did you ever get very far with Maple Valley?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks like that kills my Wednesday then.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is the D pad useful? I'm still trying to change the radio station and then it opens the phone or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Norns posted:

I would have never though of that. Thanks!

I bought some alpinestars kart gloves. They are alright. The lining of the left glove came unstitched at the wrist. My shifter apparently rips off all the vinyl bits on the fingers. I don't know if they were worth the 50 bucks, but I have them and they are useful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

OhsH posted:

dfgt is straight cut gears compared to the g27's helical cut iirc.

edit: ask me about how i sent off a g27 to a friend because i forgot i bought it on newegg, and then when i remembered and asked him about it he already had spraypainted it neon green lmao

Your friend spray paints everything he receives?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Depends on if the people who do the port are the same as people who work on multiplayer. Though I think they should really finish the PC version before thinking about a console version.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Because it seemed like the nice thing to do :shobon:

Yeah, don't do that. Unless the game tells you to slow down, you're in the clear. If you don't get any incident points, it's not your fault no matter what anyone else says.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

El Generico posted:

Hello, I'm terrible. Which of these games has a visible optimal racing line on the track?

Stop being terrible and learn the tracks, you will be much faster.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just a heads up, if you preorder the CSP v2 pedals from fanatec, you are actually preordering v3 which will come out someday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jonathan posted:

Just completed a race in the FSR at Laguna... Why the gently caress am I being put in with class A drivers while im in class D ?

Your license level isn't your skill level, it just says what series you're allowed to race in. If an A license driver decides to race in a D license race, they can. Though being an A license means they can't make as many mistakes. So while you could maybe have four off tracks and keep your SR the same, an A license might get two off tracks and lose SR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Project cars is a sim. They've made some weird choices with some things, but the driving is really good. They had The Stig and Lewis Hamilton's brother consulting on it. Sorry if it's not slippery enough for HaRdCoRe SiM rAcErS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GhostDog posted:

Since the CSW is currently available again... how much of an upgrade is it going from a CSR to a CSW? Is it really substantial enough to warrant the price?

Yes, I did it. The csw is amazing. If you can't afford an actual direct drive wheel, it is a must get.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anyone else seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnugyXhVsZI

Looks like the Accuforce is the worse of the three DD wheels he tested. The guys he had on seem to like the OSW and Bodnar wheel better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I will totally agree with them about the feel of the wheel getting better. I've never used a DD wheel but I have a CSW v2 upgraded from a CSR. I was definitely able to catch slides a lot easier and felt details. I'm sure there are diminishing returns as you get further into crazy expensive wheels but stepping up into a wheel like this is worth it.

When you're going into a slide, the front tires want to keep going forward so they will attempt to turn the steering wheel so they can be facing their direction of travel. You can go into the slide, loosen the grip on the wheel and let the tires do their thing and then you grab the wheel and bring it back straight when you're heading the direction you want to go. A real car does this. With a less powerful wheel, it tries to turn to go where the tires want to go but your arms are much more powerful and it stays where you want it. The front tires don't have as much grip as you're manhandling them to be where you want them to be. With a more powerful wheel, it can move the wheel to tell you "the tires want to be over here, let me do that."

Then the more powerful motor is able to have more fidelity with it's force feedback and vibrations and what have you. I'm able to feel all the curbs with my wheel. I don't know about feeling grass or dirt or whatever, I just feel a loss of grip and wouldn't be able to tell the difference. CSW v2 is probably the minimum you want for a strong wheel (maybe a higher end thrustmaster too). I'm a bit nervous about getting one of these DD wheels because I don't want something I need an emergency stop button for. I'm still able to overpower the CSW v2 if I really need to. Something that could easily over torque and break my hand or arm or something seems to dangerous. Especially when I'm in my rift and can't see the wheel.

In a different topic, the accuforce is a stepper motor and not a servo? After all this "fanaatec sucks, accuforce is going to be way better" crap on the iracing forums? The CSW v2 uses a servo.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 20, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CaseFace McGee posted:

Goddammit, I want one :( hopefully our roof doesn't poo poo the bed until after I fill my piggy bank and order one... and hopefully they do a Black Friday sale that doesn't suck this year.

We closed on our house yesterday. First thing I did was change the locks. Second thing I did was tear apart my sim rig, haul it to the new place, and spraypaint the gently caress out of the PVC. Today I'll paint the wood parts... and probably do some moving prep, I suppose... but mainly paint the sim rig.

I don't think fanatec understands black friday sales as they only sell things they want to get rid of. Last year it was CSL seats as I assume they weren't selling well. They can barely keep production going anyway, so it's hard for them to have a sale. Expect to see old porsche based wheels this year probably.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Accuforce fanboys are going crazy on the iracing forums. That review put out recently comparing the Accuforce, Bodnar and OSW wheels put the accuforce firmly in third place because it has a stepper motor and not a servo motor. Now accuforce owners are lashing out against any thread mentioning fanatec because I guess that's the only thing an accuforce can beat. I personally would rather either get the CSWv2 and save money or spend money on the OSW. Both of those have actual servo motors. The difference being the CSW is not DD and has a smaller motor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It should be good still. I had a fanatec CSR which is nearly the same thing and I enjoyed it while it was still alive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you're playing a racing sim on PC, you should probably look into getting a wheel. PC sims aren't really meant to be used with a controller. Sure there are weirdos out there who do races in iRacing with a keyboard, but you really need some sort of wheel. Pcars most likely has controller support to appease controller users and to get it onto consoles. It needs a wheel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
From what I've heard, pCars 2 currently a strip of road with some cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jonathan posted:

This is going to be hard to explain, but does anyone else get the feeling that dirt rally is kind of like a rail shooter, but for cars ? What I mean is, it almost seems like they wouldn't be able to just out in a normal course like Laguna seca. Almost like the game just wants to follow the course. Like the original need for speed game.

Does this make any sense ?

What? It's a point to point rally. You drive on the road from the start to the finish. Where else would you go? Do you want an open world rally game?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Rallycross is a normal type race with other cars and multiple laps. The difference being that it combines pavement, dirt, and other kinds of surface.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So the only non Brazilian track they will have is CGV? That's why I didn't really like GSCE. It was fun to drive but I didn't know any of the tracks besides Interlagos. I don't want to learn tracks I'll never use in any other game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Great Joe posted:

Yeah, gently caress things that are different.

I don't see the point of learning tracks that are only in one game. I can load up a game I've never played and drive a car I'm familiar with on Donington or Watkins or Brands or something and I'll know the track.

• Locked thread