Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dan Sterling was announced as being the new executive producer and showrunner for season two. I'm not really all that familiar with him, except that he wrote two of the terrible late-series Office episodes and The Interview (which I didn't see).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sooo Phil's brother was the golden child who achieved everything Phil always dreamed he would achieve himself, but the one thing his brother never had is a lifelong borderline-autistic obsession with everything involving spacecraft. Like train people. Phil knows every bit, every piece, where it goes and how to put what where to make things work, even though he could never actually do any of the work himself because his craftsmanship is pure garbage(as we've seen). NASA doesn't let you bring pistols into space too, so how would he ever open anything?

So he helps get his brother home from space somehow? I mean Phil has to be good at SOMETHING right?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

So he helps get his brother home from space somehow? I mean Phil has to be good at SOMETHING right?

I don't think he needs much help. All he has to do is jump in the soyuz and let gravity do the work. He's probably more worried that if he goes back to earth he will be infected by whatever made everyone else disappear.
I don't think tandy will even be able to contact him due to his incompetence. Sudekis is probably reaching a point where the ISS orbit has decayed so much it is unsafe to stay there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Chairman Capone posted:

Dan Sterling was announced as being the new executive producer and showrunner for season two. I'm not really all that familiar with him, except that he wrote two of the terrible late-series Office episodes and The Interview (which I didn't see).

Oh... poo poo... :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I mean Phil has to be good at SOMETHING right?

Incorrect. See: Todd Margaret.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Inkspot posted:

Next season on Will Forte presents Y: The Last Man On Earth, ...

For reals, even got the guy in the space station. It would be much better if it was really the last man.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

r0ck0 posted:

For reals, even got the guy in the space station. It would be much better if it was really the last man.

Seriously yeah. Show Phil loving around, taking whatever he wants, smashing things into other things, wiping his rear end with the Constitution, whatever.

It wouldn't work because actors need other actors to play off. Still, it would be cool while it lasted.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Gynovore posted:

Seriously yeah. Show Phil loving around, taking whatever he wants, smashing things into other things, wiping his rear end with the Constitution, whatever.

It wouldn't work because actors need other actors to play off. Still, it would be cool while it lasted.

You haven't read Y: the last man

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gynovore posted:

He can still do stuff like that with other people.

It's just that the other people have to act like somethings different, instead of just living normal suburban lives, unchanged by the death of 7 billion people.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

r0ck0 posted:

You haven't read Y: the last man

To be fair, Yorick smashing a pyramid of fish tanks with a truckload of bowling balls really would have spiced up the Kimono Dragons arc.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

boom boom boom posted:

It's just that the other people have to act like somethings different, instead of just living normal suburban lives, unchanged by the death of 7 billion people.

Yeah ^^^this.^^^ The first two episodes were awesome, then it turned into a loving generic two-couple sitcom.

My guess is Forte turned the writing duties over to lazy Hollywood hacks after the pilot.

EDIT: also he should have kept the beard forever.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

AirCav58 posted:

I don't think he needs much help. All he has to do is jump in the soyuz and let gravity do the work.

I have to confess that I actually paused several times in the final shot, and I didn't see a Soyuz docked on the station. Not that it really bothers me, they could have him crash the station and climb out of the wreckage and in the context of the show I'd be fine with it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Chairman Capone posted:

I have to confess that I actually paused several times in the final shot, and I didn't see a Soyuz docked on the station. Not that it really bothers me, they could have him crash the station and climb out of the wreckage and in the context of the show I'd be fine with it.

He can't just steer the station toward the Earth. In NASA parlance, he doesn't have anywhere near enough "delta vee". Also there's no way in hell the station could survive reentry.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Gynovore posted:

He can't just steer the station toward the Earth. In NASA parlance, he doesn't have anywhere near enough "delta vee". Also there's no way in hell the station could survive reentry.

It's a show where, following two years of isolation, the most important things to every person still alive is getting your bone on and/or recreating society from the suburbs up, so I don't think it needs to be realistic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

It's a show where, following two years of isolation, the most important things to every person still alive is getting your bone on and/or recreating society from the suburbs up, so I don't think it needs to be realistic.

This.

If we're playing the "realism game" there's no way he would have been alive for two years with no resupply or support on the station, to begin with.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

As in everything else, Tandy's brother is much, much better at rationing his supplies.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

This.

If we're playing the "realism game" there's no way he would have been alive for two years with no resupply or support on the station, to begin with.

If he's like his brother he probably shoved everyone else out the airlock so he would have more food.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Shima Honnou posted:

If everybody else just dropped dead rather quickly, which we can assume happened based on there being no evidence of looting or anything in Tuscon, the few hundred people left alive could live super comfortably for two years, easy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

boom boom boom posted:

If everybody else just dropped dead rather quickly, which we can assume happened based on there being no evidence of looting or anything in Tuscon, the few hundred people left alive could live super comfortably for two years, easy.

Does anyone know how this would work in real life? It feels like I could live forever off of just the supermarket nearby if everyone else suddenly dropped dead. But then, most of the stuff would expire eventually. Do canned goods have a shelf life at all?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

Does anyone know how this would work in real life? It feels like I could live forever off of just the supermarket nearby if everyone else suddenly dropped dead. But then, most of the stuff would expire eventually. Do canned goods have a shelf life at all?

You want to use a canned item within one year, but it's generally safe for two years. Max is five for some items before the contents become dangerous to health if consumed (Which can range from just rotten/fermented contents to botulism risk etc). Also, once a can starts to rust, it's no longer safe because it can rust on the inside as well and contaminate the food. Sealed jerky has a similar expiry period (1-2 years). Most food and drink would be spoiled, rotten, or potentially cause you illness within a few weeks/months.

Basically if you want to start bringing realism into the equation on this comedy TV show, Phil Tandy Miller would have probably died by poisoning himself from eating expired food before making it back to Tuscon.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 8, 2015

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Shima Honnou posted:

You want to use a canned item within one year, but it's generally safe for two years. Max is five for some items before the contents become dangerous to health if consumed (Which can range from just rotten/fermented contents to botulism risk etc). Also, once a can starts to rust, it's no longer safe because it can rust on the inside as well and contaminate the food. Sealed jerky has a similar expiry period (1-2 years). Most food and drink would be spoiled, rotten, or potentially cause you illness within a few weeks/months.

Basically if you want to start bringing realism into the equation on this comedy TV show, Phil Tandy Miller would have probably died by poisoning himself from eating expired food before making it back to Tuscon.

Canned food can last almost indefinitely, provided you look out for the signs you mentioned. Any sort of rusting, denting, expansion, whatever is a giant red flag and is definitely something you want to avoid, but that holds whether the item is within the expiration date or not. But a perfect looking can, decades past it's expiration date, is most likely still perfectly safe to eat.

Most modern factory sealed food can last a shockingly long time past their expiration dates, especially canned/jarred/airtight and pasteurized items, if they're stored properly and unmolested. Some stuff, like honey, will simply last indefinitely (people have eaten honey found in Egyptian tombs). Pasteurized food in airtight containers doesn't decompose or rot or spoil and pose a health risk to you just by being old. They have to have their container somehow compromised, or not canned correctly, to pose a risk to you. The real risk is not knowing what signs to look for, not with an arbitrary amount of time past the arbitrary expiration date.

Here's an old FDA article on canning. They found canned goods on a steamboat wreck at the bottom of the Mississippi river, still fine after 100 years. Also a 40 year can of corn in some dude's basement in California, which was also fine.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
In addition to food with a long shelf life I imagine it would be very easy to find food if you go to a unmaintained orchard or farm. Some crops would die out without bees to pollinate them but some like oranges would be fine.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Of course, this is Phil were talking about. If he saw a bulging can, his reaction would probably be more like "Ooh, bonus Spaghetti-O's!".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chairman Capone posted:

This.

Also, the cars in the LMOE universe that magically have unlimited fuel.

Shima Honnou posted:

I've always wondered about this, because back in the era of Cold War fallout shelters, didn't people stock up with canned goods that were supposed to last several years? As in more like 10+ years as opposed to 5 max?
Not that there were a lot of sensible decisions made back then, of course.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 8, 2015

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

pnumoman posted:

Canned food can last almost indefinitely, provided you look out for the signs you mentioned. Any sort of rusting, denting, expansion, whatever is a giant red flag and is definitely something you want to avoid, but that holds whether the item is within the expiration date or not. But a perfect looking can, decades past it's expiration date, is most likely still perfectly safe to eat.

Most modern factory sealed food can last a shockingly long time past their expiration dates, especially canned/jarred/airtight and pasteurized items, if they're stored properly and unmolested. Some stuff, like honey, will simply last indefinitely (people have eaten honey found in Egyptian tombs). Pasteurized food in airtight containers doesn't decompose or rot or spoil and pose a health risk to you just by being old. They have to have their container somehow compromised, or not canned correctly, to pose a risk to you. The real risk is not knowing what signs to look for, not with an arbitrary amount of time past the arbitrary expiration date.

Here's an old FDA article on canning. They found canned goods on a steamboat wreck at the bottom of the Mississippi river, still fine after 100 years. Also a 40 year can of corn in some dude's basement in California, which was also fine.

People pretty regularly find and eat K-rations from WWII so it's not like this isn't unheard of either. Granted, Phil's pretty dumb though...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

raditts posted:

Also, the cars in the LMOE universe that magically have unlimited fuel.

I've always wondered about this, because back in the era of Cold War fallout shelters, didn't people stock up with canned goods that were supposed to last several years? As in more like 10+ years as opposed to 5 max?
Not that there were a lot of sensible decisions made back then, of course.

You could go to every hunting/fishing supply store in the area and steal the MRE's they sell, then break into military bases if you are able and steal their real MRE's. Store those away, and live off cans and oranges until that wasn't viable anymore at which point you start on the MRE supply while making your way to a new grouping of military bases to raid those.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There's an infinite amount of ways to survive better than what Phil ultimately chose to do, but if he had chosen any of them, would he still be Phil? Like, If he had stayed at the White House, where he picked up his sweet POTUS rug, he would have gotten his wish to bang both Erica and Gail. Probably at the same time. But, he would never have met Carol, who is arguably the perfect woman for him. So, ...

I can't wait to see what the bingewatchers think of this show, and how the opportunity to absorb it all in rapid succession vs. the course of a few months might change their perceptions. I imagine the middle will still be kinda rough, but the introduction of NuPhil will really kick things into high gear and the response will be more or less positive.

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...
The White House has a vegetable garden too. It'd be a pretty good place to live.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

You could go to every hunting/fishing supply store in the area and steal the MRE's they sell, then break into military bases if you are able and steal their real MRE's. Store those away, and live off cans and oranges until that wasn't viable anymore at which point you start on the MRE supply while making your way to a new grouping of military bases to raid those.

Different parts of MREs can last a while. At which temperature they were stored is what on which it all depends.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

At which temperature they were stored is what on which it all depends.

That can't be right.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Max22 posted:

That can't be right.

I agree; it's kind of the whole point of MREs that you can store them pretty much anywhere, anyhow, and they'll be fine provided the seals aren't compromised by puncture or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pnumoman posted:

I agree; it's kind of the whole point of MREs that you can store them pretty much anywhere, anyhow, and they'll be fine provided the seals aren't compromised by puncture or something.

*whoooosh*

Edit: No but seriously, MREs don't last as long as people think they do.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

*whoooosh*

Edit: No but seriously, MREs don't last as long as people think they do.

Really? That kinda sucks, but I guess it makes sense when you have a giant military industrial complex constantly churning out stuff.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
MREs can go bad extremely quickly due to temperature variances.
http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-shelf-life.html

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

The space station thing was effective. I could have accepted it was some astronaut cut off from earth; but it was definitely implied that the astronaut wasn't just another Miller, but Tandy's brother. Why else would they need to mention it seconds before? It's quite a coincidence that two of the few people alive are brothers, but I'll take it.

It's not too much of a stretch, there might be some kind of genetic resistance to the virus that wiped out the population.

Grim posted:

I really was hoping that after so long of not using his ultimate multi-tool that we would have gotten some callback to it near the end of the season, it was a bit too good to not use

It's Phil Miller's gun, not Chekhov's :circlefap:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's the ultimate multi tool? I don't remember it at all.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

What's the ultimate multi tool? I don't remember it at all.

He was using a handgun to open doors, tried to use it to open that water faucet thing, etc

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh! Ha.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think Phil is going to think that when Carol brought supplies to Tandy, Tandy kidnapped her and stole her car. Phil loves her and spends the offseason looking for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

PassTheRemote posted:

It would probably take Tandy more than 2 days to get to another town on foot. Tuscon to Pheonix is 115 miles. Phil left him to die, while saying he had a chance.

Walking from Tucson to Phoenix (or anywhere) is a death sentence. It's a desert. It's like the billboard situation for Phil, except if he was on a treadmill.

• Locked thread