Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Because we're not allowed to combine the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
USSF

US Space Force

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Nobody remembers ~*~cyber~*~.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Consummate Professional posted:

Did you guys see the Facebook chief saying that other chief getting a dui and killing a kid was still a hero?

Yowza
E: link https://www.jqpublicblog.com/fired-chief-hemorrhages-credibility-defense-drunken-crony/

This happened about 10 miles from my house and the base leadership was trying to keep it quiet but we all found out via Facebook and the insane news coverage.

The road the Chief was speeding on was maybe 2 miles long, with a 4 way red light and a rail road track, not a easy road to hit 70 on. He said the car he hit didn't have their lights on and parked in the road, pushed the drat thing 175 ft into a light pole.

At least the dumb rear end turned himself into the police when he heard the kid died.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Did you guys see the Facebook chief saying that other chief getting a dui and killing a kid was still a hero?

Yowza
E: link https://www.jqpublicblog.com/fired-chief-hemorrhages-credibility-defense-drunken-crony/

From what a bunch of people were saying, the chief likes to use HERO as some banal acronym that stands for who could care. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that 99% of America neither knows nor gives a poo poo what he thinks HERO means, and all they saw was a guy who actually typed these words out:

quote:

What he did was completely wrong, He drove drunk, his actions took a young man life, and he deserves severe punishment. However, I am truly disappointed with some of the remarks about this Hero. Yes, I called him a Hero.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

I agree the airman creed is dumb, but only because it's a shameless plagiarized schlock rip off of the soldiers creed written by cadets.

Why does everyone else hate it?

Because I feel like I'm in a creepy cult during promotion ceremonies.

gently caress the Creed. It's loving garbage.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's part of that WARRIOR AIRMAN HUA garbage.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

I agree the airman creed is dumb, but only because it's a shameless plagiarized schlock rip off of the soldiers creed written by cadets.

Why does everyone else hate it?

Because it doesn't reflect the real Air Force experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m4mnIFWi9o

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Yowza

The worst part is this dude is retired. Get the gently caress over it and move on with your life. Jesus, it's like some 40 year old dude who can't let go of his glory days on the high school football team.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
"I scored 4 touchdowns in one game"

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
John Q. Public turns the rage meter up to 11 about everything. It gives a false equivalency to his topics.

Go read his articles about denial of due process. Its written with the same veiny foreheaded hate boner as an article of about a chief using a poor choice of words during a motivational speech to her airmen.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He kind of tried to make the case that Obama shares some of the blame for that Thunderbirds crash through some real mental gymnastics.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Pretty much this.

I'm sure folks will poke all kinds of holes in this but in my mind the Air Force's mission/objective is to fly aircraft and support those aircraft on their mission. Any soldiering or "warrior airman" crap detracts from that mission.

The ideal airman is one who has the technical proficiency to do their job and that should be the only metric that matters. I knew plenty of fat-bodies and dudes who couldn't press a uniform to save their lives who were a hell of a lot better mechanics than the posterboys.

Edit: of course this is a moot point because Air Force brass has an inferiority complex so that friendly joshing from the other branches bruises their egos and they try to out-Army the Army.

It's insanely obvious you only ever turned a wrench and never made it to the NCO ranks. Because the Air Force is balls deep in all kinds of non flying missions and joint operations. Not meant as an insult, you just clearly were never exposed to "The Big Picture" while you were in.

Hell man we as a service fly more rockets than anyone on earth. And our (god help me for using this word) cyber mission is goddamn gigantic.

Flying and supporting flying missions is a big part of the Air Force. It is however only a part of all the poo poo we're up to. An important and core part, but still just a part.

Some time out of a MXG and some PME would have educated you plenty on this stuff. But I don't think that was an option for you based on what you've told us.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 24, 2016

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I can't believe that I am going to actually step up and defend N4I here but....

You are missing the point.

What he is explaining is that there is a way too large amount of focus on bullshit that literally shouldn't loving matter. The Airman's Creed is a perfect example of horse poo poo that the Air Force needs to get rid of. Its akin to making kids recite the Pledge of Allegiance in school. If it was skipped to add 2 minutes of actual education, a more than you would guess number of people would melt the gently caress down. It serves no purpose other than being an obnoxious monologue that you are forced to recite to be a good american proper Airman. There is no practical reason for it and the fact that it is even a thing is a detriment to the Air Force because it carries more weight than ones ability to do their loving job. In every career field, for every Airman, the number one priority they should have is to be competent at their assigned career.

I was in weather. Our filed was more diverse than most. To the point that we had actual course work on space weather (its a thing!). Knowing the potential impacts of solar flares on our god drat satellites was far more important than the god drat AC. But I will tell you right now that someone would stand a better chance of promotion knowing the AC or the loving Air Force song before someone who didn't, but could rattle off timing and impact of a solar flare.

Thats the point he is making. And its right.

gently caress the AC and any of that moto bullshit. I worked with some of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet and watched them be praised for knowing nonsense like this, while smart competent airmen who were some of the best in their field got poo poo on on a regular basis. Squadrons survive on the backs of a handful of very good, technically proficient people. Who are treated like an ex-wife by the same command they prop up because they simply focus on getting poo poo done right rather than the dog and pony show.

gently caress the Air Force.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
There's nothing wrong with an Airmans Creed or an Air Force song. Hell I kinda liked the Core Values thing.

You're really upset about something that doesn't really matter.

Nobody ever had their career hinge on the Airmans Creed, Core Values, or the Air Force Song, outside of basic training and PME.

I think you kids get upset at these things since they don't have anything to do with your day to day mission.

But they're very trivial matters. They're important for PME and just about nothing else.

poo poo like Force reductions, PT test fuckery, more and more mandatory ancillary training requirements and CBT's are waaaaaay bigger things to get worked up about than the Airmans Creed or the Air Force Song.

It's a seriously trivial matter that doesn't even matter. Hell, I was ready to put on E-6 with a line number before I med retired, and I had no idea what the Airmans Creed was because it had been awhile since my last round of PME.

My point to senor N4I is that the mission set is way bigger than "We fly planes and support flying" not that the Airmans Creed or Air Force song are important or anything like that. My whole point was that the bigger picture is much bigger than he's seeing. He's seen the Air Force through a very tiny straw, and that's very apparent by what he says. We're more than just the airplane branch. Maybe that's good, maybe it's bad, but it really is the reality of the situation.

I'm no apologist for the Airmans Creed, I don't even know it. But I do know the Air Forces missions are huge, and hardly limited to flight ops. That was my point. Big picture.

Get what I'm saying? I hope I didn't come off as condescending or dismissive. Not my intent.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The airman's creed is dumb, but if you can't memorize a 30 second creed you're probably too dumb to be in the Air Force. I'll never fly, fight, or win, but I know how to troubleshoot a virtualized router environment, which also means I'm smart enough to memorize a four-verse slogan. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I'm also smart enough to realize that I need to do meet a certain PT baseline to keep my job.

These things are dumb, but they're prerequisites for continued employment. I'm dumb enough that I want to stay in the Air Force, so I do the things necessary to stick around. If someone's really the best maintainer around, or whatever, they should also be smart enough to meet standards devised for borderline illiterate high school graduates.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
With the recent EPR changes, not being moto enough could feasibly be what determines who gets those must promotes and promote nows.
I'd love to be wrong, but I could see something like that being a determining factor with the leadership at my last base.

Also, the Air Force probably should just be the airplane branch. We have no business pushing cyber at the expense of our air pew pews.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Nobody ever had their career hinge on the Airmans Creed, Core Values, or the Air Force Song, outside of basic training and PME.

False.

Edit: Anytime boards are employed for promotions, awards & decs, general racking & stacking, or god forbid actual retention.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days
The cool part about being a civilian is not giving a poo poo either way :)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I had hoped that all the other important things the Air Force does was implicit in my post but welp :shrug:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

There's nothing wrong with an Airmans Creed or an Air Force song. Hell I kinda liked the Core Values thing.

I think you kids get upset at these things since they don't have anything to do with your day to day mission.

But they're very trivial matters. They're important for PME and just about nothing else.

poo poo like Force reductions, PT test fuckery, more and more mandatory ancillary training requirements and CBT's are waaaaaay bigger things to get worked up about than the Airmans Creed or the Air Force Song.

It's a seriously trivial matter that doesn't even matter. Hell, I was ready to put on E-6 with a line number before I med retired, and I had no idea what the Airmans Creed was because it had been awhile since my last round of PME.

My point to senor N4I is that the mission set is way bigger than "We fly planes and support flying" not that the Airmans Creed or Air Force song are important or anything like that. My whole point was that the bigger picture is much bigger than he's seeing. He's seen the Air Force through a very tiny straw, and that's very apparent by what he says. We're more than just the airplane branch. Maybe that's good, maybe it's bad, but it really is the reality of the situation.

I'm no apologist for the Airmans Creed, I don't even know it. But I do know the Air Forces missions are huge, and hardly limited to flight ops. That was my point. Big picture.

Get what I'm saying? I hope I didn't come off as condescending or dismissive. Not my intent.

Please tell us more about what we should be mad about, and what is really important to us.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Godholio posted:

False.

Edit: Anytime boards are employed for promotions, awards & decs, general racking & stacking, or god forbid actual retention.
I have never heard of in-person boards being used for any of those things, except the Soldier of the Quarter board when I was in a joint unit. They didn't care about the Airman's Creed, but did have a binder about basic skills (land nav, weapons, first aid, etc) for people to study.

If I put anything like "memorized the Airman's Creed" on an EPR for anyone above the rank of A1C, it would be correctly identified as filler and I would be asked to justify using that over actual content.

I've spent most of my supervisory time in AFSOC and AFMC, are other corners of the AF that screwed up? (AETC and ACC maybe?)

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Remembering the Airman's Creed is a use it or lose it thing. Off the top of my head, I can recall maybe a quarter of the lines, but I couldn't tell you where each one went in the Creed. But it's also been 2 years since the last time I went through PME.

The Core Values are fine. They're just fancy ways of saying "Don't be lazy", "Don't be a liar", and "Suck it up, you're working on Christmas". And hell, I actually like the Air Force Song. It's catchy.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
AETC makes anyone 26 and under fill out an itemized itinerary before travel outside of the 'local area' because aetc treats everyone like children.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

standard.deviant posted:

I have never heard of in-person boards being used for any of those things, except the Soldier of the Quarter board when I was in a joint unit.
SrA BTZ, though to be fair, half the BTZ boards my airmen have gone to don't ask them to recite the creed

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I had hoped that all the other important things the Air Force does was implicit in my post but welp :shrug:

Why would they have been? You quite clearly stated what you thought the Air Force's mission was.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

AETC makes anyone 26 and under fill out an itemized itinerary before travel outside of the 'local area' because aetc treats everyone like children.
I had to too for leave this inoffensive religion-free holiday season and I've been out of AETC for a couple years. At least they were chill about it and didn't make me stand in line and present it to my MTL at parade rest, and they weren't so nitpicky about details.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Buca di Bepis posted:

Why would they have been? You quite clearly stated what you thought the Air Force's mission was.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. No need to try and "own" me over it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I poke at people who say poo poo like that because there genuinely are a lot of individuals in the AF who have no idea that there's a mission outside of planes and those who work on planes.

The Army and Navy both have space programs but dammit the AF still has the best and is the one responsible for launching all their lovely satellites.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just hate that moto airman's creed poo poo because the sort of people who quote it all the time are the type that can't actually do anything related to their job. It's the rallying cry of the kiss-rear end tech who 'quizzes' airmen they're working with because they don't actually know jack poo poo

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It's the same people who would starch their uniforms like crazy back in the BDU days. They can't stand out by being good at their jobs, so they find something meaningless that they can be "good" at, and focus intently on it. The guys who have the douchiest high and tight haircuts and tell people to take their hands out of their pockets.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Arc Light posted:

The guys who have the douchiest high and tight haircuts and tell people to take their hands out of their pockets.

High and tights aren't the worst, it's flat tops. Has anyone here ever met someone with a flat top that wasn't a total douche?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An immaculate haircut is the sign of a worthless Airman, along with sewn-down pockets and brushed boots

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I hate moto bullshit as much as the next person, but on the other hand, an annoying number of airmen treated the USAF like some sort of flying club or office job where mouthing off was acceptable and diligence wasn't expected, rather than a war fighting organization. I just wish they had found something that encapsulated being part of a machine that makes the enemy hurt every day, rather than GI-Joe bullshit by committee.

Then again, I guess "you are only important insofar as you do your job to the utmost every day in order to enable more important people to create strategic effects" doesn't sell too well. (Hello, Global Strike Command.)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Dead Reckoning posted:

I hate moto bullshit as much as the next person, but on the other hand, an annoying number of airmen treated the USAF like some sort of flying club or office job where mouthing off was acceptable and diligence wasn't expected, rather than a war fighting organization. I just wish they had found something that encapsulated being part of a machine that makes the enemy hurt every day, rather than GI-Joe bullshit by committee.

Then again, I guess "you are only important insofar as you do your job to the utmost every day in order to enable more important people to create strategic effects" doesn't sell too well. (Hello, Global Strike Command.)

You actually like moto bullshit.

You have an airmans creed litho in your garage right next to your air force flag, don't you?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yea... No.

My job was to make sure that the Air Force and Army understood the impacts the weather would have on their operations so they could plan and adjust accordingly.

If that meant telling them that they had freezing rain moving in 2 hours before they are set to empty an entire post for deployment, effectively forcing base ops to poo poo can everything for several days, then thats what I did. Because not having 5s and 130s loaded with personnel crash on takeoff was more important than their god drat schedule.

The AC, moto bullshit, my pt score. None of that helped my mission of preparing a base for inbound tornadic storms.

Which is more important? Doing my job right, or reciting the loving Air Force song from memory? Now which one gets me promoted?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Reciting the airmans creed duh

Would not promote above peers

(Other troop promoted posthumously due to a freak takeoff accident due to inclement weather)

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I didn't want to do stupid AF bullshit, so I got the gently caress out.

Now I don't complain anymore. Funny how that works.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
Hey guys... Not really sure if this is the right thread for this. I've been struggling finding finding a decent paying job so I've been thinking about applying for the military. Specifically, the Air Force looks slightly less bad. I was told the way to go for me would be to "apply for commission", seeing as I have a bachelors degree. I was told to avoid recruiters.

I was wondering if someone here can offer me some advice or a starting point.

A little bit about myself:
-30 years old, living in Texas.
-Bachelors degree.
-Multi-lingual (Russian and English).
-High level of artistic ability.

Can anybody here offer me a good starting point, or anything I should look at or read? I'm not totally sure what career I would want to be going for or if this is even a good option for me, but I'd appreciate any advice. Anybody that wants to PM me is more than welcome to as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

beeaar posted:

Hey guys... Not really sure if this is the right thread for this. I've been struggling finding finding a decent paying job so I've been thinking about applying for the military. Specifically, the Air Force looks slightly less bad. I was told the way to go for me would be to "apply for commission", seeing as I have a bachelors degree. I was told to avoid recruiters.

I was wondering if someone here can offer me some advice or a starting point.

A little bit about myself:
-30 years old, living in Texas.
-Bachelors degree.
-Multi-lingual (Russian and English).
-High level of artistic ability.

Can anybody here offer me a good starting point, or anything I should look at or read? I'm not totally sure what career I would want to be going for or if this is even a good option for me, but I'd appreciate any advice. Anybody that wants to PM me is more than welcome to as well.

You've got a bachelors, so consider applying for an officers position. Multi-lingual is a big plus for Intel.

Naturally, the general Air Force veterans answer is: Do ANYTHING but the Military. But if you are set on it, you've got a good couple pluses to get you in the door. How's your athletic ability?

• Locked thread